Thursday, February 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, February 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Re: Thursday, February 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by goatman »

Instaget NYT clue on Web for: REDACTED

No posting about the FJ clue AT ALL before the show airs.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

You can't imagine how disappointed I was to see that Frank Beard no longer has a clean-shaven chin. Granted, he doesn't have a ZZ Top-style beard, but still. :(

Sam seemed to be afflicted with Reverse Ben Stein Syndrome. :)
goatman wrote:Instaget NYT clue on Web for: REDACTED

No posting about the FJ clue AT ALL before the show airs.
No need to do that, goatman, thread is marked "SPOILER" and I often post after it airs here (4:30 Central) but before it airs for most of the country (7:00 or 7:30 local). People coming here should expect to see spoilers no matter if it's aired or not as soon as the thread is posted at 10:30 Central. (The earliest airing I know of happens to be 10:30 am Central, somewhere in Texas, I think that's debramc's station). So, don't worry about posting about the current day (and ONLY the current day) in the thread no matter the time.

Happy new year, though!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Poets
On completing the "Deathbed" edition of his great work, he wrote, "L.of G. at last complete --after 33 y'rs of hackling at it"
Spoiler
Who is Walt Whitman? Sam said "Who Life of".
Diana Zinser: $7,200+$7,200=$14,400
Chistina McTighe: $7,600+$7,600=$15,200...now a 2-day champion with $36,800
Sam Osborne: $13,200-$2,500=$10,700
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
rmfromfla
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by rmfromfla »

Make that 9:30 A.M. Central in Montgomery, Alabama on WAKA Channel 8 (CBS) -- which I picked up a few times back in the days of analog TV, even though the station is about 125 miles north of my location. Used to be on at 5PM, got moved to 3:30 for news, & then Oprah wanted a cushy slot for Dr. Phil when he arrived, so J! & Inside Edition were exiled to mid-mornings. :shock:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I assume "spit up" is no good on Baby for $200? I clearly haven't been around enough babies since I never associated drooling with them.

What led to rice on Kidding for $200? Lots of grains can show up in huge numbers.

I had no idea who could possibly be a six-foot rat. Mickey Mouse wouldn't have surfaced in a month, sadly. I almost said "who is Gary the Rat?" (Short lived cartoon on Spike, with Kelsey Grammer voicing the title character) as a joke.

Ran "Double", No Letters, and Movie Title Overlap, and got all but Wuhan in "W"orld Cities.

Revolutionary war was entirely over my head. I keep thinking Benedict Arnold was ancient history because his name just sounds "older" to me.

No guess on FJ! Spent the whole 30 seconds trying to figure out what "L of G" could possibly be and nothing at all came. Major head slap on reveal.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

The three players were pretty evenly matched. Congrats to Christina on her second win. I had 33 correct responses including four triple stumpers: Lamb to the Slaughter, Winston-Salem, argument, and Northern Territory. I also got the missed DD of Waterford. Instaget FJ.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Obviously, tonight's contestants were racist... against computers.

Can you tell I'm upset that one of my favorite categories ever only went with two clues revealed?
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I also said spit up.
In the Aussie category, I had "fight" for argument. Judges?
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Congrats on Christina on her second win. I guess being able to imitate dinosaurs can really pay off.

I had to scream at the TV set during the Science Fiction category when nobody could come up with Isaac Asimov for his Foundation series? Whaaaat? (Once met Asimov at a cocktail party in NYC many years ago... an interesting fellow who had, ahem, roaming hands and rude language that would probably get him into trouble nowadays.)

FJ wasn't an Instaget but close... poetry and the name of the work, L. of G, worked pretty well. :D
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

Instaget Final. I was yelling the answer at the TV even before Alex had finished reading it.

Tough game for me. I only knew one Science Fiction, only one Translate the Australian, and there were a few others that stumped me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

nightreign wrote:In the Aussie category, I had "fight" for argument. Judges?
Fight or argument; either one works.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Another win from the 4th with 42 gets on [REDACTED]

LT: [REDACTED]

Fun Gets:
Spoiler
REDACTED
I expected the young fellow in the bright yellow tie to run away with this, but they found the hole in his database for [REDACTED].

Gosh I was burned up about pushing the PC cat to the end and then not showing two clues, I pre-called [REDACTED]. Sigh.
Well gotta jet has been load of giggles, tyvm for [REDACTED].
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I was expecting Christina to continue the streak of one-time champions during the first segment, but she recovered nicely by the end of J round.
The two challengers looked very competative at times but couldn't go very long without getting negged. I'm guessing their coryats were nothing to write home about.
Never the less, the contestant casting dept. did a good job with this game's match-up.

Three signs that Christina and Diana were evenly matched:
The stand and stare, instead of what should have been an easy rebound on Winston-Salem;
Their pre-Final Jeopardy scores;
Their FJ Wagers
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

Sam mentioned in his interview that he dressed as Walter White one Halloween, complete with shaved head, glasses, and baggie of fake meth. I guess it's safe to assume the costume didn't also include the gift W.W. got from Gale that he kept at his bedside and later in his bathroom.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Shocked at the stand and stare for a hyphenated "W" North Carolina city.

For some reason, the Darwin photo made me think of Whitman, so he was already on my brain when FJ came up. "Poets" is a category that I am weak enough in that I was questioning whether I would've made the shutout bet from the lead. Good example of why to bet by the "standard" strategy; I'd rather lose because I miss the question than because I didn't bet enough. But then L. of G. shows up, bam, instaget Whitman. Very surprised it wasn't a triple get.
Sheepin' it real.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

The top row clue in compter history took an eternity to read, and next they wanted the only Republican president during the early days of televised elections? Game over? Boo!

Sam made the DD wager aiming to keep the lead and, in retrospect, that cost him the game by not grabbing a lock. So 24 skidoo for him.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

25 right.

Baby (1), Beard (2), Letters (1), Double (0), Sci (1), Kid (2)
War (4), Title (5), Trans (1), Lamb (3), W (3), Com (2)

Lach Trash: "Binky", "Brian Lamb", "Northern Territory"

I didn't say Whitman until the last minute, which was a lucky guess. I had no idea about L and G, but I remember Leaves of Grass being a big part of the book Paper Towns by John Green. It mentioned so much about feelings of life, so from "deathbed" that's where I went.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

ClosingTime wrote:Sam mentioned in his interview that he dressed as Walter White one Halloween, complete with shaved head, glasses, and baggie of fake meth. I guess it's safe to assume the costume didn't also include the gift W.W. got from Gale that he kept at his bedside and later in his bathroom.
Well done.