For the LLamas Among Us

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: For the LLamas Among Us

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

econgator wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Any great wisdom for us rookies as the new season begins?
Read the question.

Don't just look at it and think, "I'll never get that." Sure, there are YKIOYD questions, but just as often a word or phrasing will help point you in the right way.
And then read it again. On the first day of LL63 (my first day of LL) there was a question that appeared to be about obscure Japanese short stories. But as you looked closer the answer was much more obvious. Still a little obscure, but a term everyone has heard of.

And then read your answer again. You may have completely the right idea but the wrong answer, as I did on the same day. Note to self: Sirhan Sirhan did not kill Lee Harvey Oswald.
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

econgator wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:I'm NelsonK in A Horizon. Anyone else there?
I recognize about 1/3 of the people in that Rundle, although I don't think most of them are boardies. The ones I see who are are GefenA( alietr), EnglandB, and ToutantE (theconfessor)
I am not A-Hor! I am a free man! (Who will likely soon B-Hor)
teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does the 1948 Arab-Israeli War have to do with the Pac-12?
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

countyguy wrote:Please excuse my ignorance, but what does the 1948 Arab-Israeli War have to do with the Pac-12?
If this is a question from today, please delete this post. Discussion on questions doesn't begin till the following day.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
plasticene

Post by plasticene »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
countyguy wrote:Please excuse my ignorance, but what does the 1948 Arab-Israeli War have to do with the Pac-12?
If this is a question from today, please delete this post. Discussion on questions doesn't begin till the following day.
It's not, it's from the Mystery Theme 11 One-Day Special. Ralph Bunche, the subject of the question, was the first UCLA alumnus to win a Nobel Prize. It seems like a weaker connection to the theme than any of the other questions, but that's the only thing I could come up with. It's definitely the Bruins question, by process of elimination.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

plasticene wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
It's not, it's from the Mystery Theme 11 One-Day Special. Ralph Bunche, the subject of the question, was the first UCLA alumnus to win a Nobel Prize. It seems like a weaker connection to the theme than any of the other questions, but that's the only thing I could come up with. It's definitely the Bruins question, by process of elimination.
I managed to pick up the theme, but that one was definitely the weak link. Ralph Bunche having attended UCLA certainly doesn't have much to do with the Bruin mascot!
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

plasticene wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
The recap on LL confirms that Ralph Bunche-->UCLA is the connection, and also confirms that others (including some of the testers) agreed the link was weak.
Sheepin' it real.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

boson wrote:
jfrumkin wrote:I got an unexpected promotion to B. I recognize Randy and DoT, not sure who else is in there. My wife also joined this year, but (thankfully for her) I don't recognize anyone in her R rundle.
You meet me on day 1! There are a few former/occasional boardies in B-Horizon, but I don't think I'm comfortable outing them with real names to board personas.
Doesn't bother me -- I just hope no one else already replied, as I'm way behind in this thread. BoghenM is either MBo or MarkB here, GrayI is kingrat47, and ManjrekarC (who I met at TCONA) is ihavejeoprosy.

ETA: PenroseB, for now in A Pacific after five seasons in the upper minors.
In and out of the pool four times
Dr. J
Decade Battler and Mustache Maker

Post by Dr. J »

You can find me in B Corridor, JassSSSSSS. I don't recognize anyone else in my Rundle.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

bengland wrote:
econgator wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:I'm NelsonK in A Horizon. Anyone else there?
I recognize about 1/3 of the people in that Rundle, although I don't think most of them are boardies. The ones I see who are are GefenA( alietr), EnglandB, and ToutantE (theconfessor)
I am not A-Hor! I am a free man! (Who will likely soon B-Hor)
For what it's worth, being A Metro, I find myself checking my manicure a lot these days....
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

A Pac is crowded these days...
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
rjmac

Post by rjmac »

tjconn728 wrote:Well yes, I could see why. Others probably have too for that matter. tjconn728 (first and middle initials + home state + birthday) is the username I have usually used since I first came up with it as my AOL user name back in high school. While I take it as a compliment to have been confused for an actual contestant, the good news is that I still have a chance to win a game some day.
I have the same birthday! I'm McNittR, Rundle R, Frontier Division 3.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

teapot37 wrote:A Pac is crowded these days...
Damn tootin'! Who is that RutterB interloper anyway?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

rjmac wrote:
tjconn728 wrote:Well yes, I could see why. Others probably have too for that matter. tjconn728 (first and middle initials + home state + birthday) is the username I have usually used since I first came up with it as my AOL user name back in high school. While I take it as a compliment to have been confused for an actual contestant, the good news is that I still have a chance to win a game some day.
Seeing who referred you, I'm guessing you're Sarah's sister/sister-in-law?
rjmac

Post by rjmac »

econgator wrote:
rjmac wrote:
Seeing who referred you, I'm guessing you're Sarah's sister/sister-in-law?
Sister.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

(Moved to here since it's more LL themed than Chase themed)
alietr wrote:
Woof wrote:
dhkendall wrote: As to why The Beast would think of England's flag first, perhaps his player flag on LearnedLeague could explain why. (Players on LearnedLeague have a flag for their avatar. Sometimes they design it (I encourage all my referrals to do that, not all have listened, though), some (I think most) have it randomly chosen for them. A few, like The Beast, choose a national flag for their player flag.)
The Beast has a losing record in a D Rundle? I'd hope that most J! contestants could take him down.
I don't know what's going on there, but that is not reflective of his abilities. You can tell on the show he's much, much better than that.
Regardless, I'm glad he's in a different division than me and thus we'll never meet, we may both be D rundlers, but I know I don't ever, ever want to meet him on the field of Trivia. Unless I'm getting paid to do so, of course.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

dhkendall wrote:(Moved to here since it's more LL themed than Chase themed)
alietr wrote:
Woof wrote:
dhkendall wrote: As to why The Beast would think of England's flag first, perhaps his player flag on LearnedLeague could explain why. (Players on LearnedLeague have a flag for their avatar. Sometimes they design it (I encourage all my referrals to do that, not all have listened, though), some (I think most) have it randomly chosen for them. A few, like The Beast, choose a national flag for their player flag.)
The Beast has a losing record in a D Rundle? I'd hope that most J! contestants could take him down.
I don't know what's going on there, but that is not reflective of his abilities. You can tell on the show he's much, much better than that.
Regardless, I'm glad he's in a different division than me and thus we'll never meet, we may both be D rundlers, but I know I don't ever, ever want to meet him on the field of Trivia. Unless I'm getting paid to do so, of course.
Yeah, seriously. He's as legit as can be. People who've seen other quiz shows but not The Chase would be shocked to learn a) how tilted the playing field is toward the players, and b) how infrequently the players win.

Getting to the final round involves (unless the player is feeling frisky and decides to goes for extra money) getting five three-choice questions before losing a three-step lead on The Beast. Winning the final round involves getting more answers right than The Beast in two minutes (the players choose between two sets of questions, with The Beast getting the remaining one), but the players' team a) starts with one point for each member of the team who has survived to the final round, and b) gets the chance to "steal" any question The Beast misses, but not vice versa. Ties go to Labbett--he is trying to "chase" down the players, after all--but only after he gives the players a tremendous head start. And he still wins two-thirds of the time.
Sprinkles are for winners.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

It's Frontier -- shows how heavily stacked the league is when there are players like him (and SausvilleJ, and a couple of other ToCers if I'm not mistaken) in the D rundles.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

So which two of you were the ones involved in the chase today? :P