Wednesday, February 25, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, February 25, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7013, 2015-02-25

CONTESTANTS
Laura Gallo, an internal medicine physician originally from Brooklyn, New York
Michael Camiel, a banker and financial analyst from Lutherville, Maryland
Dava-Leigh Brush, a stay-at-home mom from Arnold, Missouri (whose 3-day cash winnings total $31,501)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. On yesterday's program, in a category called "3 M", one of the correct responses was the word "momentum", and that, certainly, what our current champion, Dava-Leigh, has managed to gather for herself. She won $1,500 in her first game, close to $9,000 in her second game, but $20,000 yesterday. Will the pattern continue today? Today, she faces Laura and Michael. They'll have something to say about it. Let's find out now as we begin in the Jeopardy! Round. And here come the categories.

[NOTE: The "3 M" category was found in Monday's episode, not "yesterday's" (Tuesday's).]

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE LIBERTY BELL (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MOVIES WITH SUBTITLES (5/5)
TABLEWARE INCLUDED (0/1) (Alex: The response will contain things that you would find on a dinner table.)
BEYOND THE "C" (4/5)
WORDS FROM POSTAL ABBREVIATIONS (5/5)
THE END OF THE LINE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dava-Leigh: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Michael: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Laura: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michael found the Daily Double on the 11th clue. Dava-Leigh had $2,600, Michael had $1,400, and Laura was at $800. Michael made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

THE LIBERTY BELL $1000: A bell replica toured the U.S. in 1915 with the clapper chained; it rang at last in 1920 to celebrate this event

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Michael: $2,800
Dava-Leigh: $2,600
Laura: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Quite often, guys will propose to a girl and use a ring that has some history in their own family, but Laura Gallo, your situation was a little bit different.

Laura: Right. My fiancé actually got my grandmother's ring that --

Alex: Your grandmother's ring.

Laura: My grandmother --that my grandfather gave to her in 1946, so it's a 68-year-old ring.

Alex: Now, how did he get hold of that?

Laura: He asked Grandma, and she said "yes" first. I said "yes" second.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. And you're both happy with your responses.

Laura: Yes, we're very happy.

Alex: Michael Camiel from Lutherville, Maryland. Guys of a certain age, and I'm talking about people like myself now, are big fans --and some of us are reluctant to admit it --big fans of the Three Stooges. We love their films. You got to see them live.

Michael: I did. Why wouldn't you be a fan of the epitome of sophisticated entertainment?

Alex: Wait a minute. You go a little too far now.

[Laughter]

Michael: Yes, it's little known that they did live performances, and my mother took my sister, Patty, and I to see a performance at a small nightclub in Philadelphia, where we were living at the time. And as you can imagine, it was quite a madcap show, a lot of to-ing and fro-ing. And at one point --the high point for me --was Larry, the fellow with the frizzy hair, grabbed my mother from our table, took her up to the stage, and started dancing with her.

Alex: Ah.

Michael: And that's when I knew I had the coolest mother on the face of the earth.

Alex: Okay. Yes, indeed.

Alex: Dava-Leigh Brush is our champion. You have mentioned before that at one time, you were a teacher. Now you're a stay-at-home mom. But I know that the greatest influence in your life was another teacher.

Dava-Leigh: Other than my parents, James Ferris, my high-school Latin teacher --we call him Magister, and we say that with love --is by far the greatest teacher I ever had, and he inspired a love of trivia by having a trivia contest in class as a warm-up every day. And you really got bonus points and bragging rights, and I was all about the bragging rights. And it made me go study
all kinds of stuff, so I owe a lot to being here to Mr. Ferris.

Alex: Well, as we discovered a couple of weeks ago on our program, teachers are so very important.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BEYOND THE "C" $1000: Of limestone or pottery, these jars were used in Ancient Egypt to hold the internal organs of the mummified

TABLEWARE INCLUDED $200: Often yellow or pink, the wool type of this material is used as a thermal insulator

THE END OF THE LINE $1000: This ex-president got the kinderhook on July 24, 1862
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dava-Leigh: $4,600
Michael: $4,600
Laura: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, February 25, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
SKELETON CREW (3/5)
GOVERNMENT AWARDS & HONORS (4/5)
TENNIS "E" (3/5)
WHO'S IN CHARGE? (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ANOTHER DEFINITION, PLEASE (5/5)
THE END OF THE LINE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: And once again,...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Laura: 13 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Dava-Leigh: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Michael: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Laura snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Dava-Leigh had $5,800, Michael had $6,200, and Laura was at $6,200. Laura wagered $2,000.

THE END OF THE LINE $1600: "The very first requirement in a hospital (is) that it should do the sick ____"
[Alex reads "____" as "blank blank".]
(Alex: Florence Nightingale's line. You are right.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Laura who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Dava-Leigh had $7,800, Michael had $4,600, and Laura was at $10,600. Laura wagered $2,000.

WHO'S IN CHARGE? $2000: A big African country:
President Goodluck Jonathan
(Laura: What is the Democratic Republic
of the Congo?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TENNIS "E" $1200: The most common grip used by beginners is this directional style
(Laura: What is east?)

TENNIS "E" $1600: "Emmo" was the nickname of this Aussie legend who won 12 Grand Slam singles titles in the 1960s

THE END OF THE LINE $2000: A Beckett work ends, "you must go on, I can't go on," then these 3 words
(Michael: What is waiting for Godot?)

WHO'S IN CHARGE? $1200: A former Soviet republic:
President Serge Sarkisian

SKELETON CREW $1600: These 5 bones form the skeleton of the sole of the foot

SKELETON CREW $2000: This bone is purely an anchor for the tongue; it articulates with no other bones
(Laura: What is the mandible?)
(Dava-Leigh: What is the maxilla?)
(Alex: All right, less than a minute to go to deal with this last category.)

GOVERNMENT AWARDS & HONORS $800: Raoul Wallenberg & the Marquis de Lafayette are among the few to be made honorary these

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Laura: $12,600
Dava-Leigh: $8,200
Michael: $5,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LANGUAGES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Laura: Wager $3,801 to cover Dava-Leigh.
Dava-Leigh: You have the hope of surpassing Laura if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $4,401 to force Laura to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Michael.
Michael: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $5,798 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
They're the 2 states with the highest percentage of people who speak French at home

FINAL SCORES
Michael: $5,800 - $5,800 = $0 (What are LA + WI?) (3rd place)
Dava-Leigh: $8,200 - $4,500 = $3,700 (What is Louisiana + Michigan?) (2nd place)
Laura: $12,600 - $3,801 = $8,799 (What are Louisiana + Florida?) (New champion: $8,799)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Laura: $14,200, 19 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Dava-Leigh: $8,200, 14 R, 2 W
Michael: $5,400, 12 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $27,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Laura: 19/60 = .317
Dava-Leigh: 14/58 = .241
Michael: 12/59 = .203
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MOVIES WITH SUBTITLES $600: Arnold did say he'd be back, hence this film subtitled "Judgment Day"
(Dava-Leigh: What is The Terminator?)
(Alex: Be more specific.)

THE LIBERTY BELL $400: The Liberty Bell was struck on June 6, 1944; the sound was broadcast on radios across the U.S. to announce this event
(Michael: What is V-E Day?)

THE LIBERTY BELL $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from Independence Nat'l Historical Park in Philadelphia, PA.) As it was being hung in 1753, the clapper struck a side, cracking the bell; two workmen named Pass & Stow later added this reddish metal as it was being recast, & their names are now prominently displayed.

WORDS FROM POSTAL ABBREVIATIONS $400: American Samoa plus Kansas--it has you questioning
(Dava-Leigh: What is ask?)

WORDS FROM POSTAL ABBREVIATIONS $1000: Alabama plus Missouri plus North Dakota equals this
(Alex: [*] is right
with a minute to go.)

THE END OF THE LINE $800: On July 30, 1898 this Prussian was sunk
(Dava-Leigh: What's the [*]?)
(Alex: Good. Yes, Otto von [*].)
(Dava-Leigh: Sorry.)
(Alex: I don't know if they called him "The [*].")
[Laughter]

ANOTHER DEFINITION, PLEASE $800: Raise your glass for these, not ghosts but liquor
(Michael: What are toasts?)

TENNIS "E" $2000: A world No. 1 & winner of 6 Grand Slam singles titles in the '80s & '90s, this Swede was inducted into the ITHoF in 2004
[Alex reads "ITHoF" as "International Tennis Hall of Fame".]

GOVERNMENT AWARDS & HONORS $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew holds a plaque.) If a company has buildings with low carbon emissions, it can get a plaque representing energy stars from this agency

GOVERNMENT AWARDS & HONORS $1200: The Presidents Call to Service Award honors people who do this, & you must spend 4,000 hours over a lifetime to get one
[ERRATUM: "Presidents" should have read "President's".]

CORRECT RESPONSES
women's suffrage
the canopic jars
fiberglass
Martin Van Buren
no harm
Nigeria
the Eastern forehand style
Roy Emerson
I'll go on
Armenia
the metatarsals
the hyoid bone
honorary citizens of the United States
Louisiana & Maine
Terminator 2
D-Day
copper
asks
almond
Bismarck
spirits
Stefan Edberg
the EPA
volunteer
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Languages
They're the 2 states with the highest percentage of people who speak French at home.

Spoiler
What are Louisiana and Maine? (right next door to Quebec, Alex points out) Michael said Louisiana and Wisconsin; Dava-Leigh said Louisiana and Michigan; Laura said Louisiana and Florida.

Laura Gallo: $12,600-$3,801=$8,799...now a 1-day champion with $8,799
Dava-Leigh Brush: $8,200-$4,500=$3,700
Michael Camiel: $5,800-$5,800=$0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'm curious if grinder, a French speaker, got this FJ. This was just something I knew, but it could be tough.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: Martin Van Buren, hyoid.

I'm glad Tableware was left mostly untouched, because that $200 was the sign of a poorly written category. I couldn't even figure out what they were trying to ask, and I tried everything on a table that I could think of: fork, knife, spoon, plate, cup, bowl… nope, none of those fit, what am I missing?!

I have seen only one of those Movies with Subtitles, and it's probably not the one you're thinking of.

Yet another 4/5 for me, with all but pedestrian in Definitions.

What led to "honorary citizens of the United States" on $800?

Postal Abbreviations was an almost insultingly easy run. They at least could've mixed it up: maybe something like "The sunshine State, Beaver State, and Gem State" or "Michigan plus Northwest Territories equals this place where money is made".

Louisiana is easy. Other's gotta be close to Quebec… uh, go with the biggest, Maine.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Instaget FJ!; I felt like the same clue had just been on the show recently, but a search of the Archive turns up nada. Maybe somewhere else I saw some question that asked the U.S. state with the second-largest number of French speakers. Or maybe I just remember this Slate article, which was probably posted to JBoard.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Somehow I convinced myself that LA was negbait in FJ, and went with Maine and Florida, although I was concerned that despite the number of Haitian immigrants, the size of the FL population might be too big for the proportionality to work. I guess I was right about that.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

This was a pretty good game up until the triple-stumper FJ. I had 38 correct responses including three triple stumpers: fiberglass, Armenia, and honorary U.S. citizens. I also got the missed DD of Nigeria, and I got FJ. There was a clue with the correct response that is nightreign's first name (concatenating the postal abbreviations of Arkansas and Iowa); this response seems to appear a few times each year.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So let's see ... Vermont also borders Quebec and is just a few miles from Montreal, the largest city in Quebec. And the name of the state is in French! How could that not have been the second state?!?
Tpmorrison
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Tpmorrison »

IMO, that was nasty negbait on the Beckett question - he's by far most famous for Waiting for Godot, which is three words and seemed to fit the preceding quote. Why not just say in The Unnamable by Samuel Beckett?
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Got FJ. Always feels good to get those triple stumper FJs. Briefly thought of Vermont then settled with Maine. Beautiful country out that wat. :)

Lach Trash: Van Buren, Roy Emerson, Nigeria (DD).
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
billiej

Post by billiej »

InstaFJ. :D In fact, one of my coworkers grew up speaking French at home. Same with our governor.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

alietr wrote:So let's see ... Vermont also borders Quebec and is just a few miles from Montreal, the largest city in Quebec. And the name of the state is in French! How could that not have been the second state?!?
I had Vermont too~ anyone has the said proportions handy?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Abraxas wrote:This was a pretty good game up until the triple-stumper FJ. I had 38 correct responses including three triple stumpers: fiberglass, Armenia, and honorary U.S. citizens. I also got the missed DD of Nigeria, and I got FJ. There was a clue with the correct response that is nightreign's first name (concatenating the postal abbreviations of Arkansas and Iowa); this response seems to appear a few times each year.
Yeah, I see it every couple of months. An archive search shows that it last came up in a clue's wording in October and was last a response in September. Today on Twitter, I got a few people telling me I'd like one of the clues. I assumed it was Ronald McDonald related at first.

I ran the Liberty Bell category.
I said Louisiana and Michigan; as a Michigander, I was pretty sure it was wrong, but I couldn't remember where Quebec was and decided to crapshoot it.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Compare tonight's Beckett clue with these:

#6390, aired 2012-06-01 PLAY CHARACTERS $1600: At the end of this play, Vladimir asks, "Well? Shall we go?" Estragon: "Yes, let's go." ("They do not move")
#4968, aired 2006-03-29 20th CENTURY THEATER: This play ends with 1 character asking, "Well? Shall we go?"; the other replies, "Yes, let's go", but they do not move
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

alietr wrote:So let's see ... Vermont also borders Quebec and is just a few miles from Montreal, the largest city in Quebec. And the name of the state is in French! How could that not have been the second state?!?
I had Vermont as the second State....after Maine. Completely spaced out the obvious one down south.

My excuse: I'm a native down easter, and spent a lot of time traveling through northern VT and QE.
Last edited by Category 13 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I went back and forth between Maine and Vermont for a good chunk of FJ, then decided to go with Maine because of Acadia National Park.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

This was about as Instaget as it gets for me on FJ. For one thing, I live in N.H., right next to Maine. Plus my wife Mona grew up in northern N.H. where there's a heavy French-Canadian presence, and she grew up speaking French. But Maine borders a lot more of Quebec than N.H., and Louisiana just made sense.

I like the new champ. I hope she does well. :-)
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

My first thought was Maine. But I've always assumed the French speakers there were tourists, not residents. So I went south to Florida.

I got fiberglass but did not understand the category until Alex explained that glass is tableware. Then I expected the rest of the category to be much fun, but they went to postal abbreviations instead which was awful.
Leander

Post by Leander »

BADuBois wrote:This was about as Instaget as it gets for me on FJ. For one thing, I live in N.H., right next to Maine. Plus my wife Mona grew up in northern N.H. where there's a heavy French-Canadian presence, and she grew up speaking French. But Maine borders a lot more of Quebec than N.H., and Louisiana just made sense.

I like the new champ. I hope she does well. :-)
Plus, Maine borders New Brunswick, which has a large French speaking community as well.

I'm pretty sure that the area of Quebec across from Vermont, has a considerable English speaking community in the Eastern Townships. Vermont's largest city being close to the Quebec border also convinced me that Maine was a better choice (assuming French would be more likely spoken in rural communities, like nothern Maine).