Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

It's fine to accept "muk(ə)luk," just as "buckling" might be buck-ling or buck(ə)ling.
For the clue about the respiratory system, would pulmonary system work too?
Had trouble remembering the FJ name, but it came to me with a few seconds to spare. I've never read the book but I've read enough about Thompson to know it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who questioned the pronunciation of "mukluk."

I came close to screwing up FJ. Wrote down Burroughs immediately and then about halfway through had the sudden realization that Hunter S. Thompson wrote "Fear and Loathing..."
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

For me, this was one of those rare FJs that I just straight-up knew, as opposed to having to work it out on the spot (and not necessarily succeeding).

That happens rarely to me. One of the other times, it was about Led Zeppelin. Drug-influenced early 1970s pop culture for the win.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Leander wrote:I don't think Missouri was in the clue, just Independence.
Damn! I would have been hosed if they were referring to Independence Hawaii or Independence Georgia or any of the other cities in the world named Independence.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch »

I had Tom Wolfe for final and switched to Kesey because I thought the judges wouldn't want the hassle of determining if Wolfe, Woolf, or Thomas Wolfe was acceptable.

Searched the archive so I could learn more about this Hunter S. Thompson fellow, and it looks like a variation on this clue appeared as a final in 2005 - given the first line, contestants had to respond with the book, not the author. Only 1/2 got it right then, though HST had died earlier that year.

ETA: Austin Powers posted the link a while before I did; sorry for the redundancy.
Last edited by eboettch on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

eboettch wrote:...it looks like a variation on this clue appeared as a final in 2005 - given the first line, contestants had to respond with the book, not the author. Only 1/2 got it right then, though HST had died earlier that year.
Good find. I hope it doesn't take some of the wind out of your sail to note Austin Powers posted the same link near the beginning of today's thread!
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Back to the reason they don't always finish the boards. AT shifted the blame from himself. While he did state some possible causes, he didn't mention the fact that HE wastes a lot of time soaking up camera time in the interview portion talking about HIS experiences etc. instead of letting the contestant (who went through the whole process to get on the show and did all the traveling necessary to reach the dream of being on Jeopardy) relate THEIR thoughts.
eboettch
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by eboettch »

Robert K S wrote:
eboettch wrote:...it looks like a variation on this clue appeared as a final in 2005 - given the first line, contestants had to respond with the book, not the author. Only 1/2 got it right then, though HST had died earlier that year.
Good find. I hope it doesn't take some of the wind out of your sail to note Austin Powers posted the same link near the beginning of today's thread!
Wellll at least that will offset my embarrassment for not getting an FJ in a wheelhouse category. :)
The Talking Mime
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by The Talking Mime »

I was actually thumbing through a copy of "Fear and Loathing..." at a bookstore yesterday afternoon. I think I might of gotten it otherwise, but still, I think it helped make this an instaget.

I guess I'll thumb through a sports book today to try and get a Sports clue for FJ. Can't hurt to try, right?
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

FINAL JEOPARDY
CATEGORY: FAMOUS INITIALS

This president and this former Rolling Stone magazine journalist have the same three initials.
Spoiler
HST and HST
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

harrumph wrote:FINAL JEOPARDY
CATEGORY: FAMOUS INITIALS

This president and this former Rolling Stone magazine journalist have the same three initials.
Spoiler
HST and HST
Who is King Edward VIII? :D
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I had a terrifying moment in FJ when I blanked on the author of FaLiLV (my wife was looking at me for the name, too). Then, I got there in the nick of time via Raoul Duke. Thank you, Garry Trudeau!
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote:
So that's why that link was there. I honestly didn't know and didn't feel like skimming through the game to see if I could figure it out. It happened to be boardie Rex Kramer's first game. I assumed Austin was continuing some conversation that I'd missed the start of. So, thanks, eboettch. Your cluelessness helped mine.

Here's a super-geeky pro-tip for the one or two boardies who don't already know and who actually like this sort of thing. You can edit archive URLs as follows and the links will go to the (broadly) correct section on the game page:

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ardy_round

You can also do the following as an in-joke or an OCD tic if you like:

nuveena

Post by nuveena »

I was in the audience for this game. I smiled as soon as I saw the FJ clue. "Ha! Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," I thought. "By...crap, what's his name...Johnny Depp's played him in the movie...Uncle Duke from Doonesbury is based on him...He's got an initial in his name...Augh!" Aaaaand, time's up.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

nuveena wrote:I was in the audience for this game. I smiled as soon as I saw the FJ clue. "Ha! Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," I thought. "By...crap, what's his name...Johnny Depp's played him in the movie...Uncle Duke from Doonesbury is based on him...He's got an initial in his name...Augh!" Aaaaand, time's up.
I was too! Did you tape later that day?
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

nuveena wrote:I was in the audience for this game. I smiled as soon as I saw the FJ clue. "Ha! Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," I thought. "By...crap, what's his name...Johnny Depp's played him in the movie...Uncle Duke from Doonesbury is based on him...He's got an initial in his name...Augh!" Aaaaand, time's up.
Wow, almost exactly the same thing I did.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

eboettch wrote:I had Tom Wolfe for final and switched to Kesey because I thought the judges wouldn't want the hassle of determining if Wolfe, Woolf, or Thomas Wolfe was acceptable.

Searched the archive so I could learn more about this Hunter S. Thompson fellow, and it looks like a variation on this clue appeared as a final in 2005 - given the first line, contestants had to respond with the book, not the author. Only 1/2 got it right then, though HST had died earlier that year.

ETA: Austin Powers posted the link a while before I did; sorry for the redundancy.
Yeah, back in my day, respectable Jeopardy! contestants didn't understand drug-reference clues! That's how the riff-raff could win!

Actually, I thought at the time, "Everyone is going to get this -- HST died earlier this year!"

I wonder if it means you reached some kind of game-show obsolescence if they start re-using your FJ clues.

Rex
Last edited by Rex Kramer on Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rex Kramer wrote:
eboettch wrote:I had Tom Wolfe for final and switched to Kesey because I thought the judges wouldn't want the hassle of determining if Wolfe, Woolf, or Thomas Wolfe was acceptable.

Yeah, back in my day, respectable Jeopardy! contestants didn't understand drug-reference clues! That's how the riff-raff could win!

Actually, I thought at the time, "Everyone is going to get this -- HST died earlier this year!"

I wonder if it means you reached some kind of game-show obsolescence if they start re-using your FJ clues.
Ha!

It looks to me like the riff-raff had a lock game going into FJ and needs to find another excuse for knowing such a disreputable fact.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:

Ha!

It looks to me like the riff-raff had a lock game going into FJ and needs to find another excuse for knowing such a disreputable fact.
"I was somewhere between the Green Room and the set when the drugs began to take hold."
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

I did not like the category Hidden Gems. I did not even make an attempt to provide an answer for any of them. UGH!
No good on FJ. I need to read that book.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!