Thursday, December 29, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, December 29, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6279, 2011-12-29

Jason Keller game 10.
Dave Leach game 1.

CONTESTANTS
Dave Leach, a software analyst from Atlanta, Georgia
Jennifer Green, a university librarian from Paris, Tennessee
Jason Keller, a tutor from Highland Park, New Jersey (whose 9-day cash winnings total $213,900)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Hey, Johnny, thank you. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. If our champion is looking a little bit older today, I'll tell you why--because he had quite a match yesterday. [Apparent edit] But he's here today to defend again, against Jennifer and Dave. Good luck, players. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round is where we start, and today we start with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
I THINK I LOVE SHOE (5/5)
KENTUCKY KERNELS (5/5)
EPONYMS (4/5)
OFFICIAL BRITISH ROYAL POSTS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
CHILDREN'S LIT (4/5)
THAT SMELLS... LIKE A CELEBRITY! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dave: 10 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Jason: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Jennifer: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dave: $2,600
Jason: $2,000
Jennifer: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I'm very curious about something that Dave Leach, from Atlanta, Georgia, does. He participates in road rallies. What exactly are those?

Dave: Well, they're called TSD road rallies. It's "time speed distance." So you get a set of directions and a set of speeds, and the idea is to be always on time the whole time. It's not a race. If you go too fast, you get penalized just as much as if you go too slow.

Alex: Uh-huh, and what are the prizes for winning these events?

Dave: A cheap, little gold trophy and the satisfaction of a job well done.

Alex: Okay. Good for you. That's enough for me.

Alex: Jennifer Green is from Paris, Tennessee. A university librarian...

Jennifer: Yes.

Alex: Where?

Jennifer: Um, in, uh, Paris. [Chuckles]

Alex: In Paris?

Jennifer: Mm-hmm, Paris, Tennessee.

Alex: Par--Paris, Tennessee.

Jennifer: Mm-hmm.

Alex: But you once worked at...

Jennifer: The Library of Congress.

Alex: And that must have been exciting.

Jennifer: Yes, it was. I, um, got to see some really exciting stuff, really neat stuff you can't see anywhere else.

Alex: You went into the rare book vault?

Jennifer: I got to go in the rare book vault, hold a book from the 1500s.

Alex: Wearing white gloves, I suppose?

Jennifer: No, they actually did not give you white gloves.

Alex: Really?

Jennifer: They say it can tear the pages.

Alex: Nice stuff. I like that. You're learning, too.

Alex: Jason Keller is our champion. He's earned a lot of money, well over $200,000, and I know where he's going to spend some of it today, because today is a special day in your family?

Jason: Yes, um, for someone who has supported me for a really long time, has given me unconditional love, and, uh, has fostered a love of games and trivia in me, I want to wish my mom a happy birthday.

Alex: All right.

[Applause]

Alex: Good. Now keep earning money for you and your mom.

[Jason laughs]

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dave found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Jason had $3,000, Jennifer had $2,200, and Dave was at $3,800. Dave wagered $2,000.

OFFICIAL BRITISH ROYAL POSTS $1000: Edmund Halley was the second this "Royal" from 1720 to 1742

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
EPONYMS $1000: This setter dog breed was developed in Scotland & named for the nobleman who popularized it in the early 19th c.
(Jennifer: What is the Sussex setter?)

CHILDREN'S LIT $800: Sara Crewe is the little title character of this classic by Frances Hodgson Burnett
(Jennifer: What is The Secret Garden?)

OFFICIAL BRITISH ROYAL POSTS $800: Not the Master of the House, but the Master of the this is responsible for the sovereign's carriages & certain animals
(Jason: What is Stable?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dave: $5,800
Jason: $3,000
Jennifer: $2,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, December 29, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
OPERA (4/5)
SCIENTISTS (5/5)
THE THIRD-MOST POPULAR PRESIDENTIAL CHOICE (1/2, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: We'll give you the name of the candidate who finished in third place. You have to tell us who won that presidential election.)
"D-O" (5/5)
DAYLIGHT COME (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ME WANNA GO HOME (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dave: 9 R, 1 W
Jason: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Jennifer: 7 R (including 1 DD), 0 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jennifer snagged the next Daily Double on the 19th clue. Jason had $5,800, Jennifer had $8,200, and Dave was at $16,200. Jennifer wagered $3,000.

DAYLIGHT COME $1600: When in Rome, Eos, goddess of dawn, went by this name

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jason who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Jason had $11,800, Jennifer had $11,200, and Dave was at $19,000. Jason wagered $3,000.

THE THIRD-MOST POPULAR PRESIDENTIAL CHOICE $1600: Strom Thurmond
(Jason: Who is FDR?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
OPERA $1200: Alban Berg's 1937 opera is a real doozy, or a real this, the double-talk name of its title character

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dave: $19,000
Jennifer: $11,200
Jason: $8,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CONTEMPORARY AMERICAN WRITERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Dave: Wager $3,401 to cover Jennifer.
Jennifer: You have the hope of surpassing Dave if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $7,801 to force Dave to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Jason.
Jason: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $8,798 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Concluding a 4-book series, his 2004 novel "Folly and Glory" features Kit Carson, William Clark & Jim Bowie

FINAL SCORES
Jason: $8,800 - $7,000 = $1,800 (Who is Grisham?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jennifer: $11,200 - $11,198 = $2 (Who is McMurty?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Dave: $19,000 - $3,401 = $15,599 (Who is Michener?) (New champion: $15,599)
(Alex: [To Dave] You're going home with $15,599, and Jason Keller is going home with a lot of money, over $213,000. He's gonna be in our Tournament of Champions next time out.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dave: $18,000, 19 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Jason: $11,800, 17 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jennifer: $9,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $39,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Dave: 19/59 = .322
Jason: 17/59 = .288
Jennifer: 16/59 = .271
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
I THINK I LOVE SHOE $400: Have a unique fashion sense? Into rubber sole?
Then the shoe seen here, used in this sport, is for you

KENTUCKY KERNELS $400: Half of a deadly feud, this family lived primarily in Kentucky; their rivals, in West Virginia
(Jennifer: Who are the Hatfields?)
(Alex: Yeah, you had a 50/50 shot there, Jennifer. Sorry it didn't work.)

THAT SMELLS... LIKE A CELEBRITY! $800: Everyone nose this Yankee shortstop is "Driven"; now no one can ever say he stinks
(Dave: Who is Rodriguez?)

CHILDREN'S LIT $600: Chapter I of this Lewis Carroll book says, "the glass was beginning to melt away, just like a bright silvery mist"
(Dave: What is Alice in Wonderland?)
(Jennifer: What is Alice [*]?)

CHILDREN'S LIT $1000: A ravenous insect larva consumes a ton of food & undergoes metamorphosis in this classic by Eric Carle
(Jennifer: What is The Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar?)

OPERA $2000: (Alex gives the clue from the Metropolitan Opera in New York.) The Met's production "Enchanted Island" is a version of "The Tempest", & the costume I'm wearing belongs to this magician, who rules the island
(Alex: You are right, and a footnote to that particular clue--this opera's premiere occurs New Year's Eve at the Met. Something to look forward to.)

SCIENTISTS $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew hovers over Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in a helicopter.) To switch on floodlights for Christ the Redeemer's dedication in 1931, this radio pioneer sent shortwave signals from Naples

DAYLIGHT COME $1200: Daylight comes, & it's time for this mix of martial arts & exercise, whose name means "supreme ultimate fist"

ME WANNA GO HOME $1600: The seafood was great, the tequila too much in this "True Cross" city on the Gulf of Mexico; me wanna go home
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute to go.)

ME WANNA GO HOME $1200: Got sunburned visiting the beach of this most populous Brazilian city; home please!
(Dave: What is Rio de Janeiro?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Astronomer Royal (the Royal Astronomer accepted)
the Gordon setter
A Little Princess
Horse
Aurora
Harry Truman
Lulu
Larry McMurtry
bowling
the McCoys
(Derek) Jeter
Through the Looking Glass
The Very Hungry Caterpillar
Prospero
Marconi
tai chi
Veracruz
São Paulo
vellore
Jeopardy! Winner....of $1

Re: Thursday, December 29, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by vellore »

Good luck today to our fellow boardie Dave, who was so tickled upon entering the Jeopardy! studio that he burst into uncontrollable laughter. :lol:
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Spoiler
Especially now that we know the outcome of Wednesday's game, the 20 second blurb on the SOny website spoiled Dave would keep Jason from winning game 10. Of course, the local station here showed a promo for this week on Sunday morning around 7AM, which showed Dave at the champ's podium. Maybe for 2012, Sony's promos will stop showing three shots of players outside of Monday's game and start showing only category close-ups or remarks from Alex or maybe just spoil one clue to be used during the week,
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

After watching all of the games in his run, I think it's fair to say that Jason Keller is at least the greatest Jeopardy! champion since Joon Pahk. I would still take Joon Pahk as a greater player for now, but Jason Keller has been marvelous. I figure that he will in all likelihood be the number one seed in the next Tournament of Champions.

However, as good as Jason Keller has been, I wouldn't have expected for him to surpass Dan Pawson's nine-day total by more than $40,000, as he ended up doing. It's a definite tribute to his consistency.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Sorry to see Jason go already, I do hope he stops by here and gives some insight into his run.

And, for the record, the summers *are* nice here. ;)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

You had a good run Jason, just wasn't your day. See you in the TOC :D

For FJ, I could lie and say that I've heard of that book (or the series it was a part of), and that this was an easy instaget, but it was more or less a complete WAG. "American writer, explorers and frontiersmen? Err...Mc...murtry? He wrote westerns...kinda sorta similar?" Whatever, I'll take it. And read up on Larry McMurtry.

I guess "Alice Through the Looking-Glass" is an acceptable title? I'm not trying to be mean or nitpick, and she'll be kicking herself over that misspell for the rest of her life, so I don't want to pile on.

ETA:
legendneverdies wrote:
Spoiler
Especially now that we know the outcome of Wednesday's game, the 20 second blurb on the SOny website spoiled Dave would keep Jason from winning game 10. Of course, the local station here showed a promo for this week on Sunday morning around 7AM, which showed Dave at the champ's podium. Maybe for 2012, Sony's promos will stop showing three shots of players outside of Monday's game and start showing only category close-ups or remarks from Alex or maybe just spoil one clue to be used during the week,
Spoiler
I wouldn't count on it. They've been doing this for years, and I refuse to believe that they're unaware of how spoilerific they are; at this point, it's more likely that they simply don't care. Thus, I avoid the website at all costs.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MFalk
KJL #152

Post by MFalk »

TPTB apply the rules consistently and fairly with regard to accepting misspellings in FJ. I give them a great deal of credit for that.

But ouch. What a heartbreaking finish.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Dave on the win! It is awesome to see someone who is a boardie and from Atlanta take down a superchamp. You have done us proud, Dave!

Congrats to Jason on the 9 wins! I can't wait to see you on the next ToC.

Jason looked like he ran out of steam up there and struggled with the buzzer. He did pretty well with the buzzer during his run so I am kind of hesitant to say this, but I think that Jason needs to develop a method of buzzing where he keeps his arm still and and the buzzer firmly grasped in his hand.

My first thought on FJ was David McCullough, since I picked up on the historical connection. Then I noticed the western connection and considered Larry McMurtry and Cormac McCarthy, but I was too afraid to move away from my first instinct and stuck with McCullough. That was a bad thought process on my part.

This would have worked out worse for him since he missed it, but I thought that Jason should have bet all but maybe $200 or so on the last Daily Double. At least the $3000 wager kept him mathematically contention on the miss, though.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Boardie pulls through! Film at 11! Congratulations, Dave, on being a giant killer. And Jason, heckuva run. You have every right to be very proud. Painful misspelling, but those always are. I'll bet the Other Board Which Shall Remain Nameless gets a few people whining about that one.

So, do we think *today* is Jason's mother's birthday, or was it the day of the taping?
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Started with David McCullough on FJ!, briefly considered Harry Turtledove, stuck with McCullough.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

alietr wrote:I'll bet the Other Board Which Shall Remain Nameless gets a few people whining about that one.
This is an Unfair and RIDICULOUS statement.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

I'm going to tell Jason about this place, but one thing that I will say to add to discussion tonight:

After winning 6 games and flying from LA back to the East Coast, he was lined up to direct a Scrabble tournament on the weekend between tape dates. He was so exhausted for his final 4 that it definitely hurt his game play.
Andy Saunders
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable on dogs, but Gordon Setter was a total NHOI. As was the FJ, went with McCullogh.
Very disappointed that the contestants ran away from 'Third Most Popular' even when it was obvious that the last DD was there. Precalled Anderson and Perot for the category.
pdano
Valued Contributor

Post by pdano »

Assuming that OQ can pull him over here - congratulations, Jason, on an outstanding run! I'm as shocked as anyone that no one had won nine games in the last four years, and you certainly earned it. Good luck in the far-distant TOC!

-Dan
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Went with Gore Vidal on FJ, since he often uses real people in his books. I've read a lot of Turteldove, so I knew that wasn't his work.

I liked Jason taking a stab on the penultimate first round clue so he could get the DD if he had been right. Jennifer's misstep on the caterpillar book cost her a chance at a piece of cake DD. Haley was the Royal (blank) on the bottom row and they make it a DD? That was Teen Week at best material.

I was ticked they didn't finish the thrid place presidents category. In Jason's spot, I bet all but a dollar there.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
alietr wrote:I'll bet the Other Board Which Shall Remain Nameless gets a few people whining about that one.
This is an Unfair and RIDICULOUS statement.
OK, now I understand, OQ. Well played.

And welcome, Dan. Great to see you again!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:After winning 6 games and flying from LA back to the East Coast, he was lined up to direct a Scrabble tournament on the weekend between tape dates. He was so exhausted for his final 4 that it definitely hurt his game play.
His game play in games 7, 8, and possibly 9 actually didn't seem that much different from the first 6, I wouldn't have been able to tell. Today's game (as with yesterday's) he seemed to be trailing more, and it didn't seem to be the same gameplay, I chalked that just up to regular fatigue (I think any superchamp will say that playing a lot of Jeopardy! is draining), he did a great job despite the Scrabble tournament information you provided.

I second (or is it third by now) the invitation to bring Jason here, he definitely seems like the type who would fit in here.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Speaking of Jason, can someone explain how you get a 200+ score on one Scrabble word (I forget exactly how much Jason said the word he played was worth)?
AndyTheQuizzer

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

alietr wrote:Speaking of Jason, can someone explain how you get a 200+ score on one Scrabble word (I forget exactly how much Jason said the word he played was worth)?
He played SELTZERS with the 10-point Z on a Double Letter score, and the entire word hit two Triple Word scores (scoring 9 times). Because the play also used all 7 tiles, it scored the 50 point bonus. Thus, the play would score 275, 284, or 293, depending on how many blanks were used.
Andy Saunders