TD 234: π Day [Game Over]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

TD 234: π Day [Game Over]

Post by ZachTheRiah »

Greetings, and welcome to our trivial π day celebration! The following ten questions are themed off of π and mathematics in general. I hope you enjoy this quiz.

The Rules

The goal of this TD is to come up with the least popular, correct answer. The "sheep" is the most popular answer.

A correct answer gives you the number of people, including you, who gave that particular answer. An incorrect answer will get you a successive power of π: the first incorrect answer is worth π^1 points, the second incorrect answer is worth π^2 points, the third incorrect answer is worth π^3 points, etc. There are no drops in this game. The winner is declared as the one with the lowest score. A tie for any position is broken first by best tiebreaker score, then the number of singletons, then the number of doubletons, and then off of time of entry.

Be clear about which part you are answering for each question. Also, spelling counts insofar as pronounciation is correct. If the answer is "psychology" and you write "sychology", I will take that because its pronunciation is the same and you may have forgotten the "P", or not known there was a "P", but you know the answer. Don't take undue advantage of this rule by writing something like "Saikologee", or writing your answer in phonetic spelling, just because you can, otherwise you will be publicly shamed for your answer. Either that, or I'll add π^{100} points to your score, which may do the same thing. Your pick. :) The purpose is to be flexible in giving credit for answers.

Obviously, you may not use a calculator on this quiz, but writing utensil and writing surface are allowed; I would just say pen and paper, but I suppose stylus and iPad are equally OK. Also, all answers must come from yourself. Don't cheat. I reserve the right to define cheating if necessary.

Q1: Edible πe

According to a survey done by Schwan Consumer Brands of North America, name one of the top ten ranked pies among Americans, OR one of the top five TV mom's who would bake the best pie. (Note: for the first question, participants were asked to list their top three favorites, so as far as I understand as long as the pie was listed in the top three, it was counted in the survey results.)

Q2: Words with πs

Identify the following words that contain "PI" in them. (The number of letters in the correct answer is listed.)
  • (a) A scottish musical instrument. (7)
  • (b) A plant that grows on a plant. (8)
  • (c) Diver's position. (4)
  • (d) A church's high point. (5)
  • (e) A general has good ones. (5)
  • (f) Reverence. (5)
  • (g) Ghandi or Dr. King, for some. (8)
  • (h) Meyer or Stoker character. (7)
  • (i) The Matterhorn could be described as this. (6)
  • (j) Eight-legged sea creatures. (6)
Q3: π Reading

Any number in each quote is replaced with a multiple of π. Identify the following quotes; name the author of the book/poem the quote comes from. (DO NOT name the character who said the quote, if applicable)
  • (a) "O that we now had here but π of those men in England that do no work to-day!"
  • (b) "π roads diverged in a wood and I, I took the π less travelled by, and that has made all the difference."
  • (c) "Whoever is there, as the clock strikes π, will be shadowed by π of my men; of these, π, or perhaps 2π, or even 3π, will leave for France to-morrow. π of these will be the `Scarlet Pimpernel.'"
  • (d) "π pharmacologists and biochemists were subsidized in A.F. π"
  • (e) "π children--π male, π female--to each family unit. It was written very clearly in the rules."
  • (f) "The πth method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him."
  • (g) "Flirting is a woman's trade, π must keep in practice."
  • (h) "I lived at West Egg, the--well, the least fashionable of the π, though this is a most superficial tag to express the bizarre and not a little sinister contrast between them. My house was at the very tip of the egg, only π yards from the Sound, and squeezed between π huge places that rented for π or 2π a season."
  • (i) "For good or ill, let the wheel turn. The wheel has been still, these π years, and no good. For ill or good, let the wheel turn. For who knows the end of good or evil?"
  • (j) "I am not ashamed of my grandparents for having been slaves. I am only ashamed of myself for having at π time been ashamed. About π years ago they were told that they were free, united with others of our country in everything pertaining to the common good, and, in everything social, separate from the fingers of the hand. And they believed it. They exulted in it. They stayed in their place, worked hard, and brought up my father to do the same."
Q4: π Throwing & "Smush"ing

For those of you who remember USA's show "Smush", this question is a throwback to that show. The idea is you take words and "smush" them together to make a phrase. For example:

NCAA basketball tournament group remaining after the Elite Eight games + The "Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything" = Final FOUR + FOURty-Two = Final FOURty-Two

All of these "Smush"es will have words relating to circles, as π comes from circular measurement, or contain "THREE", "ONE" or "FOUR" somewhere in the answer.
  • (a) Unit of measurement meaning "parallax of one arcsecond" + A line or segment touching two points on a circle + What the pattern seen here is called.
TD234-Visual1.png
TD234-Visual1.png (772 Bytes) Viewed 6629 times
  • (b) Pattern noticed in the movie Signs + The opening musical number in The Lion King
  • (c) The Maid of Orleans + French monument built to remember, in part, the French Revolution
  • (d) 2015 car coming in EX, EX-L, LX, and Touring versions + The musical example as follows: I IV V I
  • (e) Where Buzz Lightyear was originally stationed + Thornton Wilder play
  • (f) Giving your all is giving this much + The main playing field at Wimbleton
  • (g) The "Anvil Chorus" composer + The distance through the center of a circle touching the circumference on opposite sides + A member of the family Theraphosidae.
  • (h) What you get at the beach from a yellow dwarf + A line that touches exactly once on the circumference of a circle + What Valentine and Proteus are, in the Shakespeare play
  • (i) Movie with a tiger on a boat + A programming language requiring indentation
  • (j) 80's/90's phrase meaning "awesome" + The measurement from a circle's center to its circumference + What you'd use Kelly's Blue Book to price
Q5: Events that Happened on 3/14

Pick an event, name the year this happened. (You must be within 3 years above or below to be correct. This means that if the answer is 1900, anywhere from 1897 to 1903 inclusive is correct.)
  • (a) The first Linux kernel is released.
  • (b) Eli Whitney is given a patent for the cotton gin.
  • (c) Casey Jones' birth.
  • (d) Karl Marx's death.
  • (e) Balto, a sled dog, died.
  • (f) Slovakia declares independence.
  • (g) The night before Julius Caesar died.
  • (h) Pope Francis has his first mass in the Sistine Chapel.
  • (i) Ferdinand I becomes Holy Roman Emperor.
  • (j) The first pi day is celebrated in San Francsico.
Q6: π Facts

Pick one. Answer it.
  • (a) What biblical book contains a reference to π, as referenced in the following quotation? "And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to the other: it was round all about, and his height was five cubits: and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about."
  • (b) In Greek alphabetical order, with α being 1 and ω being 24, π is what letter number?
  • (c) What university announces its admissions on π day each year, ever since 2012?
  • (d) In 1897, what state legislature unsuccessfully attempted to legislate the value of π?
  • (e) In what TV show was the square root of π used to test the memory of the "Midnight Entity"?
  • (f) What French perfume company developed a π men's cologne?
  • (g) What Star Trek character gave the command "Computer, this is a Class A compulsory directive. Compute to the last digit, the value of pi." in the episode "Wolf in the Fold"?
  • (h) The first π day in San Francisco occured at what location?
  • (i) What famous physicist was born on March 14, 1879, and also won the Nobel prize for some of his work?
  • (j) What 10-letter word describes π, essentially meaning that it is not a fraction?
Q7: Music in 3|4 time (314)

What artist originally performed the song? If the track is instrumental, then give the composer. The year listed is the year of release or performance for the first time. (The majority of the song is in 3/4 time.)
  • (a) "Breakaway" (2004)
  • (b) "Open Arms" (1982)
  • (c) "Sleeping Beauty Waltz" (1890)
  • (d) "Come Away with Me" (2002)
  • (e) "Rainbow Connection" (1979)
  • (f) "Ice Dance" (1990)
  • (g) "The Millionaire Waltz" (1976)
  • (h) "Hollywood Waltz" (1973)
  • (i) "Winterlude" (1970)
  • (j) "Neville's Waltz" (2005)
Q8: π Math

Your answer must have π in it and be exact! No decimal approximations allowed.
Spoiler
TD234-Pi Math Question.PNG
TD234-Pi Math Question.PNG (50.17 KiB) Viewed 6629 times
Q9: π Country with Roman Numeral Leader

Name a country with at least 314,159 people that has a current world leader (head of government or state) with a roman numeral suffix as part of their official name. Populations are verified by the CIA factbook. Jr. and Sr. do not count. The suffix must be a I, II, III, IV, etc.

Q10: Digits of π

When do each of the following digits of π appear in the sequence of digits for the first time? For example...

π = 3.ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ...

A is the first digit, B is the second digit, etc.
  • (a) 0 (i.e. What digit place does the first zero appear?)
  • (b) 1
  • (c) 2
  • (d) 3
  • (e) 4
  • (f) 5
  • (g) 6
  • (h) 7
  • (i) 8
  • (j) 9
Tie Breaker: π Recitation

Give an approximation to π to as many decimal places as possible. Each successive, correct digit placement from left to right counts for one tiebreaker point. However, once a digit is read as incorrect no further points may be awarded.

Submissions are closed.

Participants (39)
(as of 9:40pm AZ Time, March 21)
TPmorrison
MarkBarrett
dnbguy
jgamer
ElendilPickle
gamawire
jeffwolfe
BigDaddyMatty
Magna
skullturf
Woof
BlueLion
mennoknight
michaelbilow
Abraxas
cmp146
Ivoirians
TheyCallMeMrKid
clprez
dott888
immaf
Creed Batton
Lampy
jjwaymee
Peachbox
colonialrampage
econgator
goforthetie
Holocene Hero
sethmoko
Vermonter
sillymonkey
nightreign
Tjconn728
Bamaman
whatisbishkek
Peggles
barandall800
countyguy
Last edited by ZachTheRiah on Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 15 times in total.
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 234: π Day [Coming March 14, 2015]

Post by BobF »

Since we skipped 232 and will get back to it later, could we skip 234-313, make this one 314, and get back to the other 80 later?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by sillymonkey »

Thank you for setting up another way to celebrate this exciting day! My group of friends is so dedicated to Pi Day that this year we have rented cabins for the weekend so nobody has to drive home after the day-long celebration. Besides appropriate foods - pizza pie, shepherd's pie and fruit pies - and rounds of drinks including PIna Coladas and PIneapple Daquiris, there will be games, games, games. My contribution may be to introduce them all to this quiz - using a Raspberry Pi computer of course. I realize that will disqualify me from entering, so we'll see. Anyway, can't wait!
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I'm going to a math competition on Pi Day.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

nightreign wrote:I'm going to a math competition on Pi Day.
Look out for this chick. She's fierce.
Sprinkles are for winners.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I'm running a 5k that morning. Since 5k is 3.1 miles, I'll go an extra .04 to celebrate.
BobF

Post by BobF »

lisa0012 wrote:I'm running a 5k that morning. Since 5k is 3.1 miles, I'll go an extra .04 to celebrate.
Are you running in a perfect circle that is nearly a mile in diameter?
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I put together this video to (try to) entertain my students on Friday, before we start some pi related competitions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGWA_DzvDg
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

OSXpert wrote:I put together this video to (try to) entertain my students on Friday, before we start some pi related competitions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGWA_DzvDg
Your students are lucky. I memorized a bunch of digits of pi (over a long period of time) when I was in sixth grade. Unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity to participate in a pi-reciting contest, but I have recited digits in two talent shows, both of which were quite fun.
Have you ever taken the American Mathematics Competitions (AMC)? If you enjoy math, are good at it, and you are going to a contest, you should most certainly see if they offer it at your school if you haven't already. They are a lot of fun! If you are interested in preparing for math contests or just learning math on your own, I think that Art of Problem Solving is a good resource (though it was better before they changed the interface about a week and a half ago.)
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

countyguy wrote:
Have you ever taken the American Mathematics Competitions (AMC)? If you enjoy math, are good at it, and you are going to a contest, you should most certainly see if they offer it at your school if you haven't already. They are a lot of fun! If you are interested in preparing for math contests or just learning math on your own, I think that Art of Problem Solving is a good resource (though it was better before they changed the interface about a week and a half ago.)
I took the AMC 8 in 5th/6th grade. I think I got a 12? Whatever it was, it wasn't great, but it was good enough to be honored at an awards ceremony. I did the AOPS Counting and Probability in 6th grade, which is highly recommended. (The perks of having a math professor for a mom!) Since then, though, I've been in pretty normal math classes. I'm only on precalculus now - I go to an IB school so you really can't get too far ahead because you have to take very specific classes.
BobF

Post by BobF »

nightreign wrote:I go to an IB school so you really can't get too far ahead because you have to take very specific classes.
Irritable Bowel school???

Never mind, International Baccalaureate. That makes more sense.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

BobF wrote:
nightreign wrote:I go to an IB school so you really can't get too far ahead because you have to take very specific classes.
Irritable Bowel school???

Never mind, International Baccalaureate. That makes more sense.
I wouldn't put it past some of its students to refer to my school as Irritable Bowel.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

BobF wrote:Since we skipped 232 and will get back to it later, could we skip 234-313, make this one 314, and get back to the other 80 later?
It's just a few weeks too late to have been 227.
OCSam
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

county guy wrote: Your students are lucky. I memorized a bunch of digits of pi (over a long period of time) when I was in sixth grade. Unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity to participate in a pi-reciting contest, but I have recited digits in two talent shows, both of which were quite fun.
I'm doing three competitions for them:
1.) Bringing in circles/cylinders and measuring circumferences/diameters and seeing who can come up with the most accurate pi.
2.) Digit Reciting,
3.) Piems - "Poems" with the restriction that each word length has to match the corresponding digit in pi (e.g. How I wish I could calculate pi easily)
county guy wrote: Have you ever taken the American Mathematics Competitions (AMC)? If you enjoy math, are good at it, and you are going to a contest, you should most certainly see if they offer it at your school if you haven't already. They are a lot of fun!
I used to take those in high school, but the school i teach at doesn't currently offer them.
sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by sillymonkey »

OSXpert - you've got some great events ready for your students. I agree that they are lucky to have you as a teacher.
Piems sound really tough!
Enjoy the irrational holiday.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

After the competition... Make sure you serve them pizza pi!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I'm waiting for i day.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Vanya wrote:I'm waiting for i day.
If you imagine it, you can achieve it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Rackme32 wrote:After the competition... Make sure you serve them pizza pi!
That's amore.
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

Magna wrote:
Vanya wrote:I'm waiting for i day.
If you imagine it, you can achieve it.
I'm waiting for tau day! Twice the pi(e)!