Thursday, March 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Re: Thursday, March 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BADuBois »

Wow. I've always wondered what it was like to be a witness to a jaw-dropping disaster like seeing the Hindenburg crash and burn. Now I know.

I broke my personal FJ Instaget streak with this one: I thought it was Veterans Affairs (ouch!).

Congrats again to Kristin.
Last edited by BADuBois on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote:I think this because, to my mind, cutting seems "artsy & craftsy" but not copying.
Exactly why I called it negbait. :)
BADuBois wrote:Wow. I've always wondered what it was like to be a witness to a jaw-dropping disaster like seeing the Hindenburg crash and burn. Now I know.
Right? I was waiting for Alex to say, "Oh, the humanity!"
jjwaymee
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jjwaymee »

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

24 right.

Pres (4), MVP (3- 99.9% chance I get the other 2 right), Brit (3), Com (1), Pot (1), "Up" (3)
Phin (2), Inter (0), 5-Syl (0), Asian (3), Lyric (1), Zodiac (3)

Lach Trash: "John Tyler"- DD, "LA Dodgers", "Pisces"- DD, "Leo"

I settled on the TVA, even though in the back of my mind I was thinking Social Security (1935). I should have gone with that, but I didn't. Rough game today. I wonder what the record is for the deepest amount in the red, aside from Sean Connery ;) ? (that we know of, considering all games aren't archived).
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

econgator wrote:The cut/copy & paste clue is a good example of negbait.
It's not if you use those functions a thousand times a day in your job, like I do!

This was a tough but fair board. I felt bad for the challengers. They both had some good gets; it's a shame that they got too trigger happy.

For the second night in a row I missed a forehead slapper FJ.

Congrats to Kristin on win #2! Now you and Justin can say that you were both multi day J! champs!
Last edited by StevenH on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
billiej

Post by billiej »

If that FJ had not been an instaget, I may as well walk into work tomorrow and hand in my resignation. :lol: Why can't they save this stuff for when (if) I get on the show?
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Only one thing that can be said.....

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

One correct answer and staying clam will win the game?

Stephanie was in geography bee?

TVA for FJ here. Also was distracted by the scores to concentrate on DJ.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

The DJ! board was tough, but oof. I was also surprised by the Pnom Penh (sp?) guess, and geography isn't exactly a wheelhouse. The last time there was a single-player FJ! was in March 2011, a week or so after my taping. Tom Kunzen, the champion of that game, was in Justin's ToC. The last time before that was 10 years ago.I think the lowest score before now was -$6400, and IIRC it was in summer 2012.

Lach Trash: figuratively. I also got both missed DDs.

I got FJ!, though I suspect it was a case where my lack of knowledge helped me. I thought, "what did FDR start? Oh, social security!" I started second-guessing it due to the "agency" wording, but I couldn't think of anything better.

I'm 3 for 4 this week, marking my second week in a row getting 3. That's really good for me. Although it pales in comparison to most of your stats, I'm proud of it.
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

The moral of this story: Unless you can make a pretty good educated guess, don't buzz in unless you actually know the answer.

That was some pretty entertaining TV, though.

Also, as a person who loves music categories, I was super bummed to find that 'Lyricists' had nothing to do with music that came out from the 1960s on.

Got FJ wrong, I thought it had something to do with the Glass Steagall Act and just randomly blurted out "The Fed".
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I didn't care for the Giant negbait on the So Big clue. Edna Ferber is not an author like Dickens or Steinbeck or Austen who is still widely read - for most contestants she will be at best a name and a list of titles. (Apologies to any fans of hers - I am not saying this is deserved, just true.) A vague plot summary would not be enough for most people to figure out which "huge" title was meant.
Last edited by Stanislaus Jacob on Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

My FJ wagering suggestion for Kristin would have been 8399, so you could either maximize your winnings or join the unique club of Winning With a Buck. Has anyone ever done this outside of the celebrity tournaments?

I pre-called Gene Tenace for the World Series MVP category but we'll never know if he was in there or not. :evil:
I blame Stephanie for spacing out after half of her correct responses. At one point, I thought she was waiting for Alex to make a wise crack about the push-up bra.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I said optimization when the contestant said defrag. Judges?

I fell for the Giant/So Big trap, but it doesn't matter because I got the Tyler DD correct. Tyler was one of our five never-elected presidents.

I thought Stephanie was cute and wanted to see her win, not flame out as the biggest loser in J! history. It was obvious to me she was guessing at high-dollar clues that she didn't know. The man in the middle did that also. But it was truly gruesome when Stephanie was trying to dig out and could only get deeper in, $2000 at a time. This is the opposite temperament from Jackhammer Julia Collins, who was very careful when there was big money on a clue.

I remember a time when there was only one contestant playing FJ, Alex would reveal the wager before the contestant's answer.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

StevenH wrote:
It's not if you use those functions a thousand times a day in your job, like I do!
I use them, but not a thousand times per day. I also do not use Windows, but they are not specific to Windows as the clue stated they were. Just using them periodically is enough to know them cold without it being negbait.

I agree with Robert, though, that the "artsy" part was misleading.

Oh, and I said 'Welfare' which I guess is sorta on the right track, but not good enough.
floridagator wrote:I said optimization when the contestant said defrag. Judges?
I'd say no. But I am not exactly an authority. I said defragmentation and was suprised the abbreviation was accepted.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
StevenH wrote:
I use them, but not a thousand times per day. I also do not use Windows, but they are not specific to Windows as the clue stated they were. Just using them periodically is enough to know them cold without it being negbait.
Actually I've been using computers 35 years now (tomorrow is the 35th anniversary of the day I got my first computer programming book) with at least 3 different OSes, and I said "cut and paste" because I Engaged Mouth Before Thinking, not good for J! In that sense I'd call it "negbait", but I'm not going to be adamant about it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I was out tonight, so I didn't get to see the game yet. Did I miss anything?
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

dhkendall wrote: Who is going to think of Keith?? Whatever will he do today???
First post in years that made me spew fizzy water out my nose.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I know you can't be a returning champion after a score of $0 but this situation makes me wonder if $0 would still count as a win? It's different from a tie at $0 where nobody wins. Hypothetically, would she be called a two game winner if she had gone all in? Or even undefeated champion? :) (They awarded second place to the guy who was less negative so $0 would be first place?)
ÕώÕ
Contributor

Post by ÕώÕ »

Wow. This was even worse than the time Will Anderson won from third place...

Whatever. Congratulations for Kristin for winning a second time. I wonder why she didn't wager $8,399.
Last edited by ÕώÕ on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ
ÕώÕ
Contributor

Post by ÕώÕ »

cosmos wrote:I know you can't be a returning champion after a score of $0 but this situation makes me wonder if $0 would still count as a win? It's different from a tie at $0 where nobody wins. Hypothetically, would she be called a two game winner if she had gone all in? Or even undefeated champion? :) (They awarded second place to the guy who was less negative so $0 would be first place?)
As far as I know, $0 is NEVER a winning score. You have to have at least $1 to win a game. Whether or not you are the only one for final doesn't change anything.
ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ ÕώÕ