Thursday, March 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, March 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by GoodStrategy »

ÕώÕ wrote:
cosmos wrote:I know you can't be a returning champion after a score of $0 but this situation makes me wonder if $0 would still count as a win? It's different from a tie at $0 where nobody wins. Hypothetically, would she be called a two game winner if she had gone all in? Or even undefeated champion? :) (They awarded second place to the guy who was less negative so $0 would be first place?)
As far as I know, $0 is NEVER a winning score. You have to have at least $1 to win a game. Whether or not you are the only one for final doesn't change anything.
Unless it's a tournament semifinal (after the triple-zero game in the 2013 Teen Tournament they changed the rules so it wouldn't be unfair to the players in the other matches competing for the unplanned wildcard). If it were a two- or three-way tie there would be a tiebreaker, but presumably if a single player bet it all he/she would still win.

Corrected a typo.
Last edited by GoodStrategy on Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

ÕώÕ wrote:
cosmos wrote:I know you can't be a returning champion after a score of $0 but this situation makes me wonder if $0 would still count as a win? It's different from a tie at $0 where nobody wins. Hypothetically, would she be called a two game winner if she had gone all in? Or even undefeated champion? :) (They awarded second place to the guy who was less negative so $0 would be first place?)
As far as I know, $0 is NEVER a winning score. You have to have at least $1 to win a game. Whether or not you are the only one for final doesn't change anything.
I'm not sure if this what's being asked, but I now wonder what would happen if all 3 players finished at or below $0. Meaning, how much money would each of them get. If the scores of Players A, B, and C are $0, -$1,200, and -$2,400, does A get $2,000 and B get $1,000? How much does C get? My assumption would be they'd also get $1,000, but this has never happened since the introduction of cash prizes to the runners-up, right?
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I've been gone all afternoon (my excuse for still not having done more TD reveal) and didn't see this game, but I glanced at the recap on Fikkle Fame and... ouch. Stephanie broke Christy Gibson's low score record (I think), and as far as I know, and this game had the lowest Combined Coryat at $1,500 ($3,000 post-doubled).
bengland
Jeopardy! Toker

Post by bengland »

Yes, yes, keeping clam is excellent advice. However, as the number of clues on the DJ board starts to dwindle there comes a point where a player far behind is justified in starting to swing for the fences on every clue. Sure you'll get ridiculed, but if you're really playing to win until the bitter end, it's entirely rational to start ringing in on everything and hoping for a miracle. Take it from someone who's been there.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Budphrey wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Who is going to think of Keith?? Whatever will he do today???
First post in years that made me spew fizzy water out my nose.
My work here is done.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

bengland wrote:Yes, yes, keeping clam is excellent advice. However, as the number of clues on the DJ board starts to dwindle there comes a point where a player far behind is justified in starting to swing for the fences on every clue. Sure you'll get ridiculed, but if you're really playing to win until the bitter end, it's entirely rational to start ringing in on everything and hoping for a miracle. Take it from someone who's been there.
Wholeheartedly agree. Stephanie to her credit realized this and kept going to the bottom of the board while the other challenger kept going to the top. Doesn't matter if you finish with $-1 or $-99999, you're not winning or sticking around for FJ.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:
floridagator wrote:I said optimization when the contestant said defrag. Judges?
I'd say no. But I am not exactly an authority. I said defragmentation and was suprised the abbreviation was accepted.

Brian
Defrag is common shorthand for defragmentation.
Optimization I'm gonna say no for as there's other ways to optimize a drive (remove temp files)

Also, defragging doesn't free up space, it just makes better use of the space you have.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

OSXpert wrote:
MiloTheMayor wrote:Haven't seen today's Jeopardy, and won't for a couple more hours, but apparently Stephanie really bombed out. And she's getting pilloried on Twitter, mercilessly.

To those jackasses, I say this: when you beat out about 99,600 other people after two tests and an in-house interview, _then_ you get to mock those who don't do well on the show. Okay?
It's fun to tease, but yeah... things change when you are under pressure on camera.

I went with Tennessee Valley Authority, which was stupid I guess.

Well, I was stupid along with you. :D
ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

It doesn't sound like this is a new record for lowest score. What is the current lowest score in a Jeopardy! game? (Before FJ!)
countyguy wrote:I've been gone all afternoon (my excuse for still not having done more TD reveal) and didn't see this game, but I glanced at the recap on Fikkle Fame and... ouch. Stephanie broke Christy Gibson's low score record (I think), and as far as I know, and this game had the lowest Combined Coryat at $1,500 ($3,000 post-doubled).
Is this right?
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats on win #2, Mrs. Sausville.

I was a bit surprised to see the challengers melt down so bad. -$6800 is the lowest score in all of the j-archive, I believe, including the pre-double scored games.

The last champ to decimate his opponents this badly ended up being a 5 time champion. So that's a good sign for Kristin, maybe.

And yes, $0 is not a winning score. If I had $6800 heading into FJ, I'd rather win closer to $6000 than $1. It's a big risk to bet that much.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I said "Social Security" and was stuck for a third word. Is the phrase acceptable in the absence of "Administration"?

I felt a shift in the wind when both challengers negged on the $2,000 zodiac clue. And on the copy-paste clue, I said aloud that someone would say "cut and paste" and be negged.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

This thread is making me feel a lot better about having said Tennessee Valley Authority. Thanks, y'all.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I literally turned in a paper today about the Social Security Administration so yeah I got this one.

Who will sign my petition to make J! change the rules to force contestants to complete the damn sports categories?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Golf wrote:
bengland wrote:Yes, yes, keeping clam is excellent advice. However, as the number of clues on the DJ board starts to dwindle there comes a point where a player far behind is justified in starting to swing for the fences on every clue. Sure you'll get ridiculed, but if you're really playing to win until the bitter end, it's entirely rational to start ringing in on everything and hoping for a miracle. Take it from someone who's been there.
Wholeheartedly agree. Stephanie to her credit realized this and kept going to the bottom of the board while the other challenger kept going to the top. Doesn't matter if you finish with $-1 or $-99999, you're not winning or sticking around for FJ.
Plus it keeps the big value clues away from your opponents ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

When I was on, I remember everyone in my group was worried about being That Guy--the one who finishes with a negative score and isn't around for Final Jeopardy. Without a doubt that's the worst possible outcome. I'm so glad we had no empty posts for FJ! on our taping day. I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

But I can understand how it happens. It's scary when you have a negative score (and I did in all three of my games) even though most of us manage to pull ourselves out of the hole, and possibly go on to win. Like Kristin did yesterday.

It can happen so easily, you answer one question wrong, you try your best just to get on to the plus side but you keep sinking deeper and deeper. It's painful to watch and I'm sure it's even more painful to do.

And for everyone who likes to taunt and tease, let's see how well you do when you're up there with your heart racing and the big negative sign on your score and all the categories are your worst subjects.

During the pregame prep, Maggie told us everyone who gets on the show gives it their all and deserves credit for it, including the empty posts. Especially the empty posts.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

A combined Coryat of 4800? Yikes, tomorrow has to be better. Johnny giving the unusual promo during the last break and Alex shaking hands with the non-existent player 2 made the unusual occurence fun.

Brad got an early umpire's ejection thumb from me for not knowing the Dodgers. He gets $2000 for playing although he should donate $200 to charity. At the point of his game when he found the DD I'll admit to being cruel and wishing he was going to say Moss Hart.

No matter how well a player expects the J! experience to go there can always be a bit of fear about things not going well. Stephanie's appearance was the nightmare no one wants to have. Kristin: Any memories of what Stephanie had for lunch? I'll guess you had something different?

8399 seems like a lot to risk on a U.S. Government category just to have the potential of "the moment" of only winning a buck. In Kristin's place I can see 1600 being my wager as well or I would have done the math to hit 30K on the nose with a miss.

The clue had me do the math to get to the year 1935. That year meant SSA to me and if it was something else so be it. I was not going to change my response.

I wonder if the producers would just laugh off tonight's game as one of those things? A hardball executive would have Maggie & company in the office after work for a little talk about the contestant selection process.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Well, once again Judy has said everything I might have to say on a topic! How do you do that?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

…what in God's name did I just watch? Oh well, a win's a win.

Where'd all the time go? First break was after only 12 clues, and there were no TSes or slow clue-calling. DJ! was a bit more understandable.

I thought Presidential Secrets was very obscure. What led to Wilson at $200?

Potables was also miles beyond me. Canadian Club at $200? Really?

I didn't fall for the cut/copy negbait since I knew that Cut is X and Copy is C.

Computer was weird. I clammed on live-tweeting because I wasn't sure if that was the right name; NHO warm or cold booting; but got the next three with ease.

Also NHO: Tom Thumb.

No guess at all on FJ! How about a freaking TOM to narrow it down from the billions of things FDR signed?!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought Presidential Secrets was very obscure. What led to Wilson at $200?
It's well known that Edith Wilson basically ran the Executive Branch due to Woodrow's stroke.
skullturf
Married to a Jeopardy! Champion

Post by skullturf »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought Presidential Secrets was very obscure. What led to Wilson at $200?
It's well known that Edith Wilson basically ran the Executive Branch due to Woodrow's stroke.
Plus, didn't the clue mention something about the Treaty of Versailles?