Thursday, March 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Re: Thursday, March 12, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by heelsrule1988 »

I hear you there. Baseball's certainly my worst of the big four BUT the clues we got to see were pretty easy. I'm trying to tell myself that the last two would've been players from the 50s/60s or something to make me feel better. :lol:

Who's your team? You're in kind of an awkward place to pick one so it could be one of three, honestly.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

dhkendall wrote: I would like to know how Kristen got to her wager too.
I actually precalled her wager--if she got FJ right, she would have ended with $10000.

It's very rare to be betting in FJ! with absolutely no influence on one's chances of winning or losing. Even in a lock game, the player may decide to bet zero just to avoid the chance of a math error and an unintentional Clavin. In this case, Kristin is betting actual cash money on one clue. I don't think there's any right or wrong (other than $8400) wager. Feel super confident? Bet $8399. Feel not-so-confident? Bet $0. Confidence level somewhere in between? How much money would you be willing to pull out of your wallet to answer a trivia question on U.S. Government, double or nothing? Bet that.
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

I thought DJ was easy but it seemed clear that both challengers were just buzzing in and it was a sad result. I had a tougher time with the first round & the SSA never entered my mind. I was thinking FCC.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Baseball is the king of sports and I'll hear no trash talk against it!

Kristen....come on, you gotta give us the details on Alex hating the clues.

Congrats on the win!
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Golf

Post by Golf »

heelsrule1988 wrote:I hear you there. Baseball's certainly my worst of the big four BUT the clues we got to see were pretty easy. I'm trying to tell myself that the last two would've been players from the 50s/60s or something to make me feel better. :lol:
It was a typical sports category where if you have basic knowledge it's free money. But if you don't, might as well munch on a donut during the clues.
zakharov wrote:Baseball is the king of sports and I'll hear no trash talk against it!
If it were the king of sports you would have used it as your username. :o
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

heelsrule1988 wrote:Who's your team? You're in kind of an awkward place to pick one so it could be one of three, honestly.
Ravens are my AFC team, Cowboys are my NFC team (born in Texas, moved to Baltimore as a young adult). Justin is a Baltimore/Washington fan. We never reconciled our NFC East fandoms, and as we moved to Delaware, ended up with Eagles fan kids as a result.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

I can't quite say how really weird this game could have ended, but in all honesty...WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS GAME?! The challengers looked as if they were doing fine until a lot of negs kept them digging right into a pitfall seed. (No...literally, I made an Animal Crossing pun there.)

We went from last week Friday and this week Monday's bad wagering to a low score solo FJ!

BTW...mentionable on a few comments I did scroll down, I think Kristen's wager seemed normal. If she was going for an even score, that seemed reasonable. Unlike the Will/Maggie/Todd episode, that would have been a bit pedestrian if Kristen would have been the 2nd contestant to win with $1. After all, nobody would want to have a really low amount of cash at the end of FJ!, now would they?
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

On the presidential DD, with his two wives Tyler had the most children of any president, and has two living grandchildren.
Last edited by harrumph on Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
michaelbilow
Valued Contributor

Post by michaelbilow »

Ooof. That game was... rough.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Maybe if they have another big UToC someday, Justin and Kristin could be the first married couple to face eachother in the same televised game. Assuming that Kristin makes it to at least 5 games, of course, which I'm sure she will.

I wonder who would win that one.

oh and btw, is Justin a member on here?
Opal
Contributor

Post by Opal »

I only skimmed the previous posts, so forgive me if things have been repeated.

The first one-player Final Jeopardy! was by Jeff Richmond in the Ultimate Tournament of Champions (of all places). The second was Tom Kunzen in a regular game. Both got Final correct. As for Kristin's wager, as much as I wanted her to wager $8399 to make more history in the game (the second $1 win in regular games), I think her bet was good. Of course, as some have previously mentioned, many bets would have been good for various reasons, but I think betting low is guaranteeing you a certain amount of money just in case you don't come up with it. I'd hate having bet $8399 on a clue and go with $1 when I could have gone with at least $5000 or $6000, and possibly $11000 or $12000. That range is much better, in my opinion.

I have one for the judges -- I only remember the question, not the answer, but hopefully some of you will remember. I thought of "very old product" instead of "very old pail" for the one clue about VOP. Thoughts?

An interesting fact -- despite being Canadian, I don't think I would have gotten Canadian Club if it weren't for the tour of a Canadian Club brewery in my hometown a couple years ago. That one was the only one I got in that category... For me, $200 value was good, but I don't know how many others should know about it.

I doubt the powers that be would intentionally place Kristin and Justin in the same game -- they'd have to win themselves to the same game in order to play each other. That, of course, I'd love to see as it would be a first that has to have so many different things happen in the right order.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

^ The UToC actually wasn't the first single player FJ. I can recall at least three that happened before. I think Michael Day had a single player FJ in one of his regular games, and twice again in regular games soon after that.

And if it counts for anything, there was a Celebrity Jeopardy game with Brett Butler, Buzz Aldrin, and Eartha Kitt where only Buzz had money going into FJ. But of course since it's Celebrity J!, the other two were given money as well.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

econgator wrote:The cut/copy & paste clue is a good example of negbait.
The stench of that negbait was so strong, it must have damaged the contestants' brains for the rest of the game.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
skullturf wrote:
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought Presidential Secrets was very obscure. What led to Wilson at $200?
It's well known that Edith Wilson basically ran the Executive Branch due to Woodrow's stroke.
Plus, didn't the clue mention something about the Treaty of Versailles?
I barely even knew that Edith Wilson was a person, definitely didn't know that Woodrow had a stroke, and wouldn't have been within 1000 years if you'd ask me when the Treaty of Versailles was signed.
In other words, every post ever, and what leads to knowing the response is...knowledge.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Opal wrote:I have one for the judges -- I only remember the question, not the answer, but hopefully some of you will remember. I thought of "very old product" instead of "very old pail" for the one clue about VOP. Thoughts?
It's Very Superior Old Pale, and that's the only correct response. It's a specific grade of cognac.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

JayK33 wrote:^ The UToC actually wasn't the first single player FJ. I can recall at least three that happened before. I think Michael Day had a single player FJ in one of his regular games, and twice again in regular games soon after that.

And if it counts for anything, there was a Celebrity Jeopardy game with Brett Butler, Buzz Aldrin, and Eartha Kitt where only Buzz had money going into FJ. But of course since it's Celebrity J!, the other two were given money as well.
And Buzz still managed to lose the game.

I agree the baseball category was free money. Retro hoping for football to come up Friday.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Opal wrote:I have one for the judges -- I only remember the question, not the answer, but hopefully some of you will remember. I thought of "very old product" instead of "very old pail" for the one clue about VOP. Thoughts?
It's Very Superior Old Pale, and that's the only correct response. It's a specific grade of cognac.
The clue asked for VOP, not VSOP, and the S can stand for "special" too. (I'm glad they didn't ask for VSOP, because I would have said the S was "smooth.")
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

harrumph wrote:On the presidential DD, with his two wives Tyler had the most children of any president, and has two living grandchildren.
And I think I had even shared that story myself on FB last year. My problem was that I tried to figure it out by the year and not the trivia. Was off by one. :(
JayK33 wrote:oh and btw, is Justin a member on here?
No, he doesn't like message boards in general. Nothing personal. That's why I initially registered when he was on; figured I could answer questions about his games since he wouldn't be here.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Linear Gnome wrote:
dhkendall wrote: I would like to know how Kristen got to her wager too.
I actually precalled her wager--if she got FJ right, she would have ended with $10000.

It's very rare to be betting in FJ! with absolutely no influence on one's chances of winning or losing. Even in a lock game, the player may decide to bet zero just to avoid the chance of a math error and an unintentional Clavin. In this case, Kristin is betting actual cash money on one clue. I don't think there's any right or wrong (other than $8400) wager. Feel super confident? Bet $8399. Feel not-so-confident? Bet $0. Confidence level somewhere in between? How much money would you be willing to pull out of your wallet to answer a trivia question on U.S. Government, double or nothing? Bet that.
Exactly this--basically stepping up to the roulette wheel with chips in hand (albeit one with odds slightly in your favor). Yes the game theory options are $0 or $8399 and I'm a big fan of all or nothing bets (all when you have to get it right to win, $0 when you need a triple stumper which is a lot more frequent than a single get), but this is just a gambling situation with very high variance.

She has to live with herself. She did great.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don't think zero or all but a dollar are your only bets. Even if I absolutely hated the category, I'd feel a need to bet something (but very little) just for fun to make FJ a little more interesting. But that's just me. She had 8,401 possible bets and she chose one of the 8,400 that was smart and not the one that would be dumb.

I really feel sorry for the other two players. They are obviously smart people to make it on the show but just had bad days. Stephanie made some bad guesses towards the end but if you are in the hole you really have no choice the further you fall below zero but to take chances like that. Having a nightmare game like that could happen to just about anyone. Including two people who made the UTOC.

Here is another single player FJ, though the game is not fully archived.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4281