J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: J! in the Media

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Googling "jeopardy contestant murder case" brings up a lot of stories about Kristin's single-player Final Jeopardy.

Did... did she kill her opponents? I though she just outplayed them.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

alietr wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:To be clear, I wasn't defending Jerry or his actions. I was just pointing out that the behavior in which he engaged is quite different from--and, I think most people would agree, less morally repugnant than--what generally comes to mind when one hears the phrase "sexually assaulting a child."
What in the world do you think was going to happen if he hadn't gotten caught right then (and that's if it hadn't happened already)?!?
According to media accounts, the girl was apparently there of her own volition. She is presumably biologically an adult. However, for various public policy reasons, a person of her age is deemed not yet fit to consent to sexual activities. I support this determination. (Frankly, I think we'd be a lot better off if folks left all of that to when there are rings involved, but I digress.) Jerry was wrong to do what he did, and I agree with Judy that he knew better.

However, a term like "sexual assault of a child" connotes an entirely different scenario, one that involves a perpetrator forcing himself upon a prepubescent victim. Whatever this was, it wasn't that.
Sprinkles are for winners.
lieph82
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lieph82 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
alietr wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:To be clear, I wasn't defending Jerry or his actions. I was just pointing out that the behavior in which he engaged is quite different from--and, I think most people would agree, less morally repugnant than--what generally comes to mind when one hears the phrase "sexually assaulting a child."
What in the world do you think was going to happen if he hadn't gotten caught right then (and that's if it hadn't happened already)?!?
According to media accounts, the girl was apparently there of her own volition. She is presumably biologically an adult. However, for various public policy reasons, a person of her age is deemed not yet fit to consent to sexual activities. I support this determination. (Frankly, I think we'd be a lot better off if folks left all of that to when there are rings involved, but I digress.) Jerry was wrong to do what he did, and I agree with Judy that he knew better.

However, a term like "sexual assault of a child" connotes an entirely different scenario, one that involves a perpetrator forcing himself upon a prepubescent victim. Whatever this was, it wasn't that.
I mean, based on the laws of the state of Wisconsin, yes, that's what he did.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

lieph82 wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
alietr wrote:

I mean, based on the laws of the state of Wisconsin, yes, that's what he did.
That's true. And tautological, given that we're discussing the propriety of using the state's terminology to describe the act in question. The whole point of every post I've made on this subject is to separate actual fact from legal fiction.
Sprinkles are for winners.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

lieph82 wrote:I mean, based on the laws of the state of Wisconsin, yes, that's what he did.
What!?!? The state of Wisconsin defines a person not of legal age of consent as 'prepubescent'?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
lieph82

Post by lieph82 »

bpmod wrote:
lieph82 wrote:I mean, based on the laws of the state of Wisconsin, yes, that's what he did.
What!?!? The state of Wisconsin defines a person not of legal age of consent as 'prepubescent'?

Brian
BDM objects to the use of the phrase "sexual assault of a child," and I agree that it's definitely something to bring up with the legislators in Wisconsin.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

J! recently added this on their YouTube page. Do they think it's funny? It makes Arthur look bad? It makes Arthur look good? It shows Alex at his best? And why now?

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Hah, GMTA. I posted about this here before I saw Mark's post. It's all just really weird. And the video wasn't even posted to Facebook or the official site. It's just sort of there for people to find. Does the show think that advertising a few of the stranger quirks of a contestant already noted as being iconoclastic is the optimal marketing move? The show spent its first 30 years of marketing trying to de-emphasize the nerdier aspects of the game and its players. But this video makes it seem like they've moved beyond loving embrace into the realm of preoccupation.

ETA: in the other thread rmfromfla has a good theory explaining the timing, at least--Arthur's games are set to re-run on "Daytime Jeopardy!" (but didn't they already?)...
Droidysseus
Contributor

Post by Droidysseus »

This article just popped up about an hour ago and it's quite interesting to see the most common categories.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1 ... 70856.html
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

That is an interesting article. It's a good thing history is one of my better subjects, as it seems to come up a lot.

Sports, on the other hand, is not a strong suit of mine. I'm glad it doesn't come up often.

The moral is: learn as much history/geography as you can, because you will need it to do well on Jeopardy!.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

KazooJ!fan wrote: The moral is: learn as much history/geography as you can, because you will need it to do well on Jeopardy!.
Actually, geography doesn't seem to have cracked the top ten per that article ( unless I'm seriously missing something), which is surprising, geography is perpetually a topic you're told to prepare for, and Alex's association with the Geography Bee I think skews that too. (It's also the only reason my Coryats are as highas they are)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

dhkendall wrote:
KazooJ!fan wrote: The moral is: learn as much history/geography as you can, because you will need it to do well on Jeopardy!.
Actually, geography doesn't seem to have cracked the top ten per that article ( unless I'm seriously missing something), which is surprising, geography is perpetually a topic you're told to prepare for, and Alex's association with the Geography Bee I think skews that too. (It's also the only reason my Coryats are as highas they are)
If I understand correctly, the analysis is by category, not topic or subject area.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If you want to lose some IQ points, read the comments on the Jeopardy Facebook page about Mrs. Obama's appearance on the show today.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:If you want to lose some IQ points, read the comments on the Jeopardy Facebook page about Mrs. Obama's appearance on the show today.
Okay, IQ points lost although as awful as it is the Alien Nation comment made me laugh. The other one that made me laugh was someone tying it to Arthur Chu saying the negative reaction to the FLOTUS was as if Arthur was the First Lady.
Droidysseus
Contributor

Post by Droidysseus »

dhkendall wrote:
To me, knowledge of geography is helpful in a vast array of categories because of how they may drop clues within the answers, particularly in the history subgroup.

I fully expected "Robbie Burns" to be up there at #1. :lol:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:If you want to lose some IQ points, read the comments on the Jeopardy Facebook page about Mrs. Obama's appearance on the show today.
I survived with my sanity in check by just reading the first comments and not delving deeper into replies on those comments, but I have to tell you, I wasn't at all surprised when the best comment of all that I read (which wasn't an insignificant amount) came from not only a recent former contestant, but a boardie as well:
Vaughn Winchell wrote:Wow. The folks who hate Mrs. Obama so much that they say they won't watch their favorite TV show sure are ceding a lot of power over their own lives to her.

Kind of ironic.
Kudos to you, sir. Kudos.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

Thanks for the shout out, David. (As a way of repaying a compliment, have I ever told you that I quote your signature to people all the time? Because, really, after you pass a certain threshold of general knowledge, it's so true.)

I kind of think I remember Laura Bush doing a category on J! when 43 was in office, but I can't find a record of that. Does anybody with a more encyclopedic memory of the show than mine recall that happening? Or did I imagine it?
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

She definitely did. Doesn't stop the conspiracy theorists though.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

zakharov wrote:She definitely did. Doesn't stop the conspiracy theorists though.
No. You really can't fight crazy with facts, can you?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I do not mind Michelle Obama reading clues on Jeopardy!. I do mind when her husband comes to Birmingham and the local station bumps the program to show his speech.