Thursday, March 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by El Jefe »

dhkendall wrote:
alietr wrote:
Ryno wrote:Instaget FJ due to the year and the Russian name. To use another Russian name, it was a Pavlov response.
What Russian name? I mean, I got the right answer but are you saying "Vivian Darkbloom" is a Russian name?
No, he's making a word play on the fact that Pavlov is a Russian name as well as Nabokov.
Dhk, I think you missed the beef- Ryno seems to be saying 'Russian' is a TOM and yet it wasn't present in the clue. Perhaps what Ryno meant is that with 2 Vs and a K they figured it had to be Russian and end in -KOV? (That's what I did, anyhow) "Instaget FJ due to...the Russian name" is misleading...
davey

Post by davey »

I'm a terrible anagrammer, so I wasn't happy about the category. But I'm good at literary clues and recognized the name right away. I've read Lolita more than once (and listened to Jeremy Irons' great audio version).
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

seaborgium wrote:
StevenH wrote:I got FJ off the category, thanks to a certain former ToC participant :D
I can think of a certain non–ToC participant who might make one think of Lolita.
Rex Kramer wrote:I could have gotten this FJ if it had read simply "Vivian Darkbloom". Is there a more famous literary anagram?

Rex
Erewhon?
"Tom Marvolo Riddle" has been more widely read, especially lately.

There are precious few which fit the pattern of "Own author name anagrammed to character name" - in fact the only ones I know of are Vivian Darkbloom and Ray Adverb...

One I just found out about was the artist referred to derisively as "Avida Dollars" by surrealist Andre Breton.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Rex Kramer wrote:I could have gotten this FJ if it had read simply "Vivian Darkbloom". Is there a more famous literary anagram?
I don't know about more famous. My favorite has always been a response to a book titled Jack the Ripper, Light Hearted Friend. The author, Richard Wallace, anagrams various lines from Lewis Carroll to prove that Carroll and a friend were responsible for the Jack the Ripper murders.

The take-down response comes from Francis Heaney and Guy Jacobson who anagrammed the first three sentences of Wallace's book. The original sentences are as follows:
  • This is my story of Jack the Ripper, the man behind Britain's worst unsolved murders. It is a story that points to the unlikeliest of suspects: a man who wrote children's stories. That man is Charles Dodgson, better known as Lewis Carroll, author of such beloved books as Alice in Wonderland.
Heaney and Jacobson rearrange those letters in this way:
  • The truth is this: I, Richard Wallace, stabbed and killed a muted Nicole Brown in cold blood, severing her throat with my trusty shiv's strokes. I set up Orenthal James Simpson, who is utterly innocent of this murder. P.S. I also wrote Shakespeare's sonnets, and a lot of Francis Bacon's works too.
Too long for a J! clue, of course.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
I don't know about more famous. My favorite has always been a response to a book titled Jack the Ripper, Light Hearted Friend. The author, Richard Wallace, anagrams various lines from Lewis Carroll to prove that Carroll and a friend were responsible for the Jack the Ripper murders.

The take-down response comes from Francis Heaney and Guy Jacobson who anagrammed the first three sentences of Wallace's book. The original sentences are as follows:
  • This is my story of Jack the Ripper, the man behind Britain's worst unsolved murders. It is a story that points to the unlikeliest of suspects: a man who wrote children's stories. That man is Charles Dodgson, better known as Lewis Carroll, author of such beloved books as Alice in Wonderland.
Heaney and Jacobson rearrange those letters in this way:
  • The truth is this: I, Richard Wallace, stabbed and killed a muted Nicole Brown in cold blood, severing her throat with my trusty shiv's strokes. I set up Orenthal James Simpson, who is utterly innocent of this murder. P.S. I also wrote Shakespeare's sonnets, and a lot of Francis Bacon's works too.
Too long for a J! clue, of course.
Another example of puzzlers using their power for good instead of evil.

Rex
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

dhkendall wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Judges: Would "craton" be acceptable for "shield" in GEOLOGY $1200?
cosmos wrote:The clue asked for "the Laurentian or Canadian one" which could be Laurentian Plateau or Canadian Shield since they refer to the same thing, but I believe craton should be incorrect even though the shield is the core of the Laurentia Craton. Source: wikipedia.
Anyone else care to give a whack at it? (Sorry, cosmos, but I don't think your stated source is a slam dunk for the neg column)
OK, I agree, there could be a good argument for craton. I found this quote from "Annals of the Former World" by John McPhee: "The menaccanite had come out of the exposed Precambrian core of Canada--the Canadian craton, also known as the Canadian Shield."
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Blast the NCAA tournament - no J for me. (John Oliver done a nice piece on it too. )

Anyways, the FJ felt like it is Nabokov, but couldn't come up with first name. Also, I might have written NabAkov. Too Dicey...but will surely count it :)
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

El Jefe wrote:"Tom Marvolo Riddle" has been more widely read, especially lately.
I didn't even like Harry Potter. Why is it I can remember minutiae like that, or butterbeer, or the Golden Snitch, from the first four books? Was something resonating with me under it all?
El Jefe wrote:Ray Adverb
Now THAT one I know. One of my favorite authors.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

THey accepted Clint E by Ron Trigueiro on 3/14/1988 on the final J! saying "Western Star whos name is an anagram of Old West Action", Alex saying they'd accept it because there are very few western stars named Clint(CLint Walker on the old TV show Cheyenne from the 50s was another, which Alex didn't mention)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

legendneverdies wrote:THey accepted Clint E by Ron Trigueiro on 3/14/1988 on the final J! saying "Western Star whos name is an anagram of Old West Action", Alex saying they'd accept it because there are very few western stars named Clint(CLint Walker on the old TV show Cheyenne from the 50s was another, which Alex didn't mention)
I consider that an aberration considering it happened in 1988. I don't see any way they would except a similar response in 2015.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
El Jefe wrote:"Tom Marvolo Riddle" has been more widely read, especially lately.
I didn't even like Harry Potter. Why is it I can remember minutiae like that, or butterbeer, or the Golden Snitch, from the first four books? Was something resonating with me under it all?
Or maybe you're just starting to learn that you don't have to like, or follow, something to learn something about it. I'm with you on Harry Potter, but I know all the things you mentioned, and most of the HP stuff that comes up on J!, because it's popular lexicon. (My kids don't even follow HP - my daughter, however, is going through her "infatuation with vampires" stage in her reading material.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Judy5cents wrote:I saw the Vs, L and B and immediately came up with Vladimir Nabakov. Wish they were all that easy.
Hmmm.... Would they neg that for misspelling Nabokov? It doesn't fit the stipulation that the response be an anagram. :)
That's tough. I think if you wrote out the whole name, then yeah, they'd neg it, because "Vivian Darkwood" cannot anagram into "Vladimir Nabakov". However, you can get "Nabakov" alone from those letters. Still, I don't know.
"Vivian Darkwood" doesn't even have a B!
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

5/5 in Lawn care and tech goofs.
But no hope in FJ. I needed a lot more time.
I hate anagrams, especially ones as long as this one.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did not know until it was too late my local station is showing Jeopardy! at another time due to basketball, so I did not have the game taped and just saw it on youtube. I had already seen Friday's game, so I knew Gina was going to win with $11,000.

On the DD, I'd have bet $100 and gone into FJ with a $100 lead due to guessing Francis Bacon. Then I'd have lost on FJ due to sucking at anagrams.

I can somewhat forgive a bad penultimate wager if the math is hard to compute under the lights and pressure. But the math was pretty easy to do with the scores $13,200/$13,000 and I think Alex said she was $200 in the lead.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Semi-spoiler for 3/20
Spoiler
Golf wrote:I'd bet tons of money she didn't have a clue about her FJ wager, just that she had zero confidence in the category.
Was there ever any doubt?
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Bamaman wrote:I did not know until it was too late my local station is showing Jeopardy! at another time due to basketball, so I did not have the game taped and just saw it on youtube. I had already seen Friday's game, so I knew Gina was going to win with $11,000.

On the DD, I'd have bet $100 and gone into FJ with a $100 lead due to guessing Francis Bacon. Then I'd have lost on FJ due to sucking at anagrams.

I can somewhat forgive a bad penultimate wager if the math is hard to compute under the lights and pressure. But the math was pretty easy to do with the scores $13,200/$13,000 and I think Alex said she was $200 in the lead.
Even worse, Andrea had $11,400, so she managed to wager nearly the minimum to simultaneously risk going from first to third while offering zero reward.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Okay...this one threw me off guard. It took me a few days to figure this one out. At first, I had to look at the clue first and see if it connected to the answer...but that clue was so trippy. Turns out that it was right. God...my brain was fried from doing this.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:Okay...this one threw me off guard. It took me a few days to figure this one out. At first, I had to look at the clue first and see if it connected to the answer...but that clue was so trippy. Turns out that it was right. God...my brain was fried from doing this.
Moral of the story: don't play along to J! when high. :lol:
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote:Okay...this one threw me off guard. It took me a few days to figure this one out. At first, I had to look at the clue first and see if it connected to the answer...but that clue was so trippy. Turns out that it was right. God...my brain was fried from doing this.
Moral of the story: don't play along to J! when high. :lol:
I don't smoke. That was just a trick question, and I fell for it. I was outlucked by a Russian author question.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:I don't smoke. That was just a trick question, and I fell for it. I was outlucked by a Russian author question.
Complete the next Survivor motto: Outchange, outluck, out_______.
OCSam