Friday, March 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7030, 2015-03-20

CONTESTANTS
Alex Navissi, a business development associate originally from Katy, Texas
Lesley Cooksey, a health care subject matter expert from Springfield, Missouri
Gina Shaddox, an accounting service representative from Corvallis, Oregon (whose 1-day cash winnings total $11,000)

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STATE THE SENATOR (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ANNUAL EVENTS (4/5)
SWEET STUFF (5/5)
"HAT"s ON! (5/5)
CELEBS ON TWITTER (5/5)
WE'RE THE GOOD GUYS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Gina: 11 R, 1 W
Lesley: 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Alex: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Gina: $5,800
Alex: $2,000
Lesley: $1,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex Trebek: Alex Navissi is no stranger to competition. He competes in two different areas. One--karaoke. Tell us about that. 'Cause you're a winner there.

Alex Navissi: Yes, for about four years, I've been in a competitive karaoke league where it's team-based and you do male and female solos and group numbers. It's choreographed, it's costumed, it's very intense.

Alex Trebek: Well, good luck to you again this year.

Alex Trebek: Lesley Cooksey is from Springfield, Missouri. Now, when you were in seventh grade, it says here, you attended the Joseph Baldwin academy for eminent young scholars. Which means you were studying Latin?

Lesley: I was. We could choose a three-week college-level course. I chose Latin.

Alex Trebek: Wow. You did well in it?

Lesley: I did. Though, I only remember one phrase to this day. It was semper ubi sub ubi, which means "always wear underwear".

[Laughter]

Lesley: It's come in handy.

Alex: Not quite as good as semper fi, but it's funnier. Thank you.

Alex: Gina Shaddox is our champion. She's working in accounting now, but studied design in college. And didn't you work in theater for a while?

Gina: Yeah, I studied apparel design, and my internship that I did was working for the local ballet and opera company making costumes.

Alex: Great. Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lesley found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Gina had $5,800, Lesley had $1,400, and Alex was at $2,200. Lesley wagered $1,200.

STATE THE SENATOR $400: In 1910:
Henry du Pont
(Lesley: What is Michigan?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
STATE THE SENATOR $600: In 1955:
Prescott Bush
(Gina: What is Maine?)

WE'RE THE GOOD GUYS $800: During the Third Crusade Guy de Lusignan held the title king of this Middle Eastern city from 1186 to 1192
(Alex Navissi: What is Constantinople?)

STATE THE SENATOR $1000: In 2002:
Bob Graham

WE'RE THE GOOD GUYS $1000: Banking baron Guy de Rothschild won this medal fighting for France against the Nazis

ANNUAL EVENTS $400: Little Big Horn days in Hardin, Montana includes a reenactment of this June 1876 event
(Alex Navissi: What is the Battle of Bull Run?)
(Lesley: What is Bunker Hill?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Gina: $6,400
Lesley: $2,400
Alex: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HISTORICAL TIME UNITS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LITERARY CHARACTERS BASED ON REAL PEOPLE (1/3)
ENDS WITH A VOWEL (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
'80s TONY AWARDS (4/5)
GOOD "EVENING" (4/5)
LADIES & GERMS (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alex: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Gina: 8 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Lesley: 4 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 10
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $15,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Gina snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Gina had $9,600, Lesley had $5,600, and Alex was at $2,000. Gina wagered $1,000.

ENDS WITH A VOWEL $1200: It's like, totally from Italy, meaning a spacious indoor mall with a vaulted roof, to the max!
(Gina: What is a... plaza?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Gina who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Gina had $6,600, Lesley had $4,800, and Alex was at $4,800. Gina wagered $1,000.

HISTORICAL TIME UNITS $1200: The Seven Weeks' War of 1866 is why this 90% German-speaking country isn't part of Germany
(Alex Trebek: With a minute to go now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ENDS WITH A VOWEL $400: It's good to have a new this when it comes to an innovation; lining your face, not as much

GOOD "EVENING" $2000: Dads know this PBS show with a 3-word title, featuring Arthur Fiedler & John Williams, premiered in 1970

LITERARY CHARACTERS BASED ON REAL PEOPLE $800: Tom Blankenship, the son of the town drunkard in Hannibal, was the inspiration for this classic character
(Alex Trebek: Thinking of Hannibal, Missouri--Mark Twain and [*].)

ENDS WITH A VOWEL $2000: Time to dig up, to disinter, this word

LADIES & GERMS $1200: Francoise Barre-Sinoussi shared a 2008 Nobel Prize for identifying this virus
(Gina: What is Epstein-Barr?)
(Gina: What is Guillain-Barré?)
(Alex Trebek: Seems like somebody should have identified it earlier, but it was [*].)

LADIES & GERMS $2000: In the 1960s pathologist Elizabeth Stern first linked this herpes virus to the development of cervical cancer
(Gina: What is HPV?)

HISTORICAL TIME UNITS $1600: The House of Tomorrow was in the innovation-focused 1930s Chicago World's Fair called "Century of" this

HISTORICAL TIME UNITS $2000: Brutal repression of Communists made 1965 this Asian country's "Year of Living Dangerously"

'80s TONY AWARDS $1600: This funny lady's "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe" yielded her a Tony in 1986
(Alex Trebek: Honored this year at the Kennedy Center.)

LITERARY CHARACTERS BASED ON REAL PEOPLE $2000: Self-destructive poet Delmore Schwartz was the model for this title gift-giver in a Saul Bellow book
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Gina: $7,600
Alex: $6,800
Lesley: $4,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
UNWANTED FIRSTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Gina: Wager $6,001 to cover Alex.
Alex: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Lesley, hoping that you give the correct response and Gina doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $2,801 to cover Lesley's doubled score, but no more than $5,200 if you want to top Gina on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $1,999 and win if both Gina and Lesley miss Final.
Lesley: If you think Alex is going to wager to cover you, try wagering less than $800 to beat Gina and Alex on the Triple Stumper; or, if you think Alex is going to wager small in hopes of a Triple Stumper, wager between $2,001 (venusian, to top a $0 wager by Alex) and $4,800 (martian, which may win in some cases but may also risk dropping you from second to third place if you get Final wrong).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Jean Valliere, burned in 1523, is considered the first martyr of this religious group

FINAL SCORES
Lesley: $4,800 - $4,799 = $1 (Who are the Jacobites?) (3rd place)
Alex: $6,800 + $6,700 = $13,500 (Who are the Huegenotes? Huegnout) (New champion: $13,500)
Gina: $7,600 - $2,400 = $5,200 (Who are) (2nd place)
(Alex Trebek: [To Alex Navissi] ...and he came close to giving it the correct spelling. We don't penalize for incorrect spelling. You are right. The French Protestants, [*].)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $19,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Gina: $8,800, 19 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 1 DD)
Alex: $6,800, 11 R, 2 W
Lesley: $6,000, 11 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $21,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Gina: 19/60 = .317
Alex: 12/58 = .207
Lesley: 11/59 = .186
Team: 42/63 = .667

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SWEET STUFF $600: This traditional New Orleans yeast pastry gets its name from the French for "fritter"

SWEET STUFF $1000: The origin of the whimsical name of these cookies, a New England favorite, is a mystery

STATE THE SENATOR $200: In 1951:
The state of the man seen here
(Alex Trebek: Yes. That was LBJ.)

'80s TONY AWARDS $800: In 1989 "Jerome Robbins' Broadway" won 6 Tonys, including one for this "Seinfeld" co-star
(Lesley: Who is George Alexander?)
(Alex Trebek: Yes. He played George.)

'80s TONY AWARDS $1200: In 1988 this drama by David Henry Hwang flew off with the Tony for Best Play
(Gina: What is Madame Butterfly?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Delaware
Connecticut
Jerusalem
Florida
the Croix de Guerre
Little Bighorn (Custer's Last Stand)
a galleria
Austria
a wrinkle
Evening at Pops
Huckleberry Finn
exhume
HIV
herpes simplex
Progress
Indonesia
Lily Tomlin
Humboldt
the Huguenots
beignets
a snickerdoodle
Texas
Jason Alexander
M. Butterfly
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

re: paucle
i have posted a link to the formal funeral announcement and obituary on page 11 of the thread.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Unwanted Firsts
Jean Valliere, burned in 1523, is considered the first martyr of this religious group.

Spoiler
What are the Huguenots? Lesley said the Jacobites; Gina had no guess.

Gina Shaddox: $7,600-$2,400=$5,200
Alex Navissi: $6,800+$6,700=$13,500...now a 1-day champion with $13,500
Lesley Cooksey: $4,800-$4,799=$1
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

All but Snickerdoodles (NHOI) in Sweet, but I ran "Hat".

What led to "Cologne" on We're the Guys for $200?

I recognized LBJ's face, but a brain glitch made me think it was Reagan somehow and I blurted out California. Oops.

How was Custer's Last Stand a TS, with two negs to boot? I think that's the first time I've ever Lach Trashed a history question.

Also Lach Trash on Wrinkle.

"Well, 'Tom' is in the clue on Literary for $800, so it's gotta be Tom Sawyer. Oops."

I wouldn't have gotten Galleria in a million years despite the mall nut. Did get the LT on "Exhume" though, thanks to "Diggin' Up Bones" by Randy Travis.

NHO Sleeping sickness. Thought that was tough for $400. The rest of the category had me totally high and dry.

Seriously overthought July 4 on Historical Time for $800. The DD below it was way too easy though, and I got Lach Trash on "progress".

No guess on FJ! NHO Huguenots.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I just went with Protestants on FJ. Not sure if that was acceptable.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Why did I watch that? Knew it was going to be bad, just bleeping knew it. But like a car crash, I could not avert my eyes.
Last edited by Golf on Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Alex the player did well. Alex the host, too. I had 34 correct responses including three triple stumpers: Little Big Horn, Evening At Pops, and progress. I got FJ after a few seconds.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

TenPoundHammer wrote:What led to "Cologne" on We're the Guys for $200?
Drakkar Noir is famous enough that it was a running joke on an episode of Family Guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5OSOkwv9po

(It's repeated dozens of times in the ep, but this is the only non terrible video I could quickly find. It's at the end)
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Flipped between Lutherans and Huguenots, and figured the French name was a clue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wish Gina had gotten that last $2000 clue instead of Brandon to set up a 9600/4800/4800 FJ. Then I wished Gina had gotten FJ right to expose her terrible bet.

Instaguess get on FJ for me.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

It would have been awesome if all three had guessed wrong on Custer's Last Stand, each progressively worse, like

Battle of Bull Run -> Battle of Bunker Hill --> Battle of Hastings :shock:

Huguenots is one of those things from history i know basically nothing about beyond the name, I just remembered that a lot of them were killed in France so I went with that.

Girlfriend also said Protestants and wants a ruling.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I don't blame the contestants for how this one went; that was a tough (but fun) board.

FJ was an instant get.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

OSXpert wrote:It would have been awesome if all three had guessed wrong on Custer's Last Stand, each progressively worse, like

I think they were so locked into "Battle of the Little Big Horn" that once those words all showed up in the clue, they couldn't make the mental adjustment to 'Custer's last stand'. No excuse for ringing in with those awful answers though (which is basically the tagline for the whole episode).

Instaget FJ. Jacobites?!!? Also, Nice Round Number Syndrome strikes again with the champ's wager.
Leander

Post by Leander »

econgator wrote:I just went with Protestants on FJ. Not sure if that was acceptable.
Wikipedia says he was the first Protestant. That was my answer too.I wasn't sure if Hugenots came along a little later than generic Protestants.

Either answer a better one than Jacobites ;)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MitchO wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:What led to "Cologne" on We're the Guys for $200?
Drakkar Noir is famous enough that it was a running joke on an episode of Family Guy:
Lots of things are famous enough to be running jokes on Family Guy. The show is so full of reference that I wouldn't be surprised if they managed to reference something only I would know about, like Birdz.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

OSXpert wrote:It would have been awesome if all three had guessed wrong on Custer's Last Stand, each progressively worse, like

That was amusing. I understand you get brain freezes under the lights, but there is only one war/battle I associate with 1876 in Montana. Not sure why they thought they would re-enact a Civil War battle (in which Custer fought) or a Revolutionary War battle in Montana.
Huguenots is one of those things from history i know basically nothing about beyond the name, I just remembered that a lot of them were killed in France so I went with that.
Same here. I knew/hoped they were French and went with them. Kind of like the Hanseatic League from Julia Collins Game 1, it was just a name I knew that seemed to fit the clue, although it could have been a century off for all I knew.
Girlfriend also said Protestants and wants a ruling.
I would say not. The Huguenots were Protestant, but I don't know if Protestants would fit the rest of the answer.
Some religious history scholar might be better able to answer that.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

Around this time, the show is usually preempted (as B.A. DuBois said yesterday) by the NCAA tourney. In my market, they air Jeopardy on an alternate CW station instead. I believe the show they aired yesterday was for March 19th, but today they aired the show from January 24, 2014. I wasn't aware off the top of my head who the defending champion was from yesterday, so I didn't even realize this until after the airing. Don't remember how I did the first time it aired, but I got 42 and an instaget FJ this time. Ah well, I'm a Kentucky basketball fan, so I have no major complaints about the tourney airing.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Bamaman wrote:I wish Gina had gotten that last $2000 clue instead of Alex to set up a 9600/4800/4800 FJ. Then I wished Gina had gotten FJ right to expose her terrible bet.
Which, in this case would have been $400.
Golf wrote:Why did I watch that? Knew it was going to be bad, just bleeping knew it. But like a car crash, I could not avert my eyes.
For me it was the eye candy factor.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Bamaman wrote:I wish Gina had gotten that last $2000 clue instead of Alex to set up a 9600/4800/4800 FJ. Then I wished Gina had gotten FJ right to expose her terrible bet.
So in this scenario, do you wager $0, $1, or $9599? :shock: :lol: