Thursday, March 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, March 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

OrangeSAM wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote:I don't smoke. That was just a trick question, and I fell for it. I was outlucked by a Russian author question.
Complete the next Survivor motto: Outchange, outluck, out_______.
I have no idea. Outrun?
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote:I don't smoke. That was just a trick question, and I fell for it. I was outlucked by a Russian author question.
I have no idea. Outrun?
Outboard motor.

It should also be held at Camp Crystal Lake.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
I have no idea. Outrun?
No, that's no good. It's actually a word.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

opusthepenguin wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
I have no idea. Outrun?
Outwin!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Rex Kramer wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
MTGcollegestudent wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:
I have no idea. Outrun?
Outwin!
Reminds me of my high school football team. They were the Un-undefeated.
karoliner
Valued Contributor

Post by karoliner »

Instaget FJ for me: foreign-born author…Nabokov…Does it fit?...Of course!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I managed to miss this game because of NCAA basketball (again) and just now got around to viewing this game recap.

Yes, it is so refreshing to see a player going into FJ in third place who knows not to make the suicidal all-in wager. Thanks to the new champ.

I honestly didn't know whether the answer was supposed to be an anagram of the whole name (first and last) or last only. Not sure if it would have helped me to know. Even trying to think strategically by recalling famous books from that period, I came up with a big fat nothing.

I honestly don't believe a clue should be declared ungettable just because I don't get it. My approach to the game isn't nearly that self-centered. But there are so many clues like this one, last season and this, that just seem, well, ungettable. FJs over the past few hundred games seem to include a whole bunch more easy-peasy clues than usual, and a whole bunch more like this. It's as if the writers have lost the ability to write a clue in that middle range that separates OK players from really good ones. This one seems to separate a few brainiacs and/or lucky guessers from almost everybody else. Sheesh.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

John Boy wrote:I managed to miss this game because of NCAA basketball (again) and just now got around to viewing this game recap.

Yes, it is so refreshing to see a player going into FJ in third place who knows not to make the suicidal all-in wager. Thanks to the new champ.

I honestly didn't know whether the answer was supposed to be an anagram of the whole name (first and last) or last only. Not sure if it would have helped me to know. Even trying to think strategically by recalling famous books from that period, I came up with a big fat nothing.

I honestly don't believe a clue should be declared ungettable just because I don't get it. My approach to the game isn't nearly that self-centered. But there are so many clues like this one, last season and this, that just seem, well, ungettable. FJs over the past few hundred games seem to include a whole bunch more easy-peasy clues than usual, and a whole bunch more like this. It's as if the writers have lost the ability to write a clue in that middle range that separates OK players from really good ones. This one seems to separate a few brainiacs and/or lucky guessers from almost everybody else. Sheesh.
Your "easy peasy" Wednesday clue is running 15% harder on the weekly poll than this one currently at a 60% success rate. :)
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

John Boy wrote:Yes, it is so refreshing to see a player going into FJ in third place who knows not to make the suicidal all-in wager. Thanks to the new champ.
A player can avoid the suicide wager and still have zero clue as to wagering strategy. Take note of her late DD wager.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:Your "easy peasy" Wednesday clue is running 15% harder on the weekly poll than this one currently at a 60% success rate. :)
ObSisypheanPeeve: That does make for a difference of 15 percentage points.