Friday, March 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7035, 2015-03-27

CONTESTANTS
Eric Swanson, a Ph.D. student in experimental pathology from Charlottesville, Virginia
Michael Bilow, a Ph.D. student in computer science originally from Chicago, Illinois
Jacqueline Hawkins, an English professor from Louisville, Kentucky (whose 2-day cash winnings total $23,300)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Three contestants on the program today closely associated with education. Eric and Michael the newcomers. Welcome aboard. Champ, good to see you again. Let's start doing it, shall we? The Jeopardy! Round. And these categories now in play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ROUGH WORDS IN NATIONAL ANTHEMS (5/5)
THE FILM-TO-TV ROLE (5/5)
REMEMBER 2014? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"-EY" MAN (5/5)
FONTS (5/5)
OF INFORMATION (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michael: 14 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Eric: 11 R, 1 W
Jacqueline: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michael found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Jacqueline had $1,000, Michael had $600, and Eric was at $1,400. Michael wagered $1,000.

REMEMBER 2014? $400: The Supreme Court ruled that police need a warrant to search these, now "a pervasive and insistent part of daily life"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Eric: $3,200
Jacqueline: $2,400
Michael: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Eric Swanson from Charlottesville, Virginia, is a Ph.D. student in something that is of great interest to me.

Eric: Yes, it is.

Alex: Tell the folks.

Eric: Yeah, so we study--uh, my lab looks at the, um, cellular mechanisms of Alzheimer's disease. So we look at how, you know, proteins go bad in neurons and lead to, uh, neuron death.

Alex: If we wanna find out, get an early, uh, picture of our brain, can we do that? And it would indicate if, uh, there is a potential for Alzheimer's?

Eric: Yeah, you--we're getting there. Um, there's a lot of new imaging techniques that are making early detection of Alzheimer's disease, um, a real possibility. In--in a couple years, yeah.

Alex: Okay. Good.

Alex: Michael Bilow is from Chicago. He's a--a Ph.D. student in computer science who had a business when you were in high school. What did you run?

Michael: I ran chess tournaments for kids who are in, uh, elementary school and junior high.

Alex: Were these extra bright kids?

Michael: They were just your average kids off the street.

Alex: Now are you really competent in chess?

Michael: I used to be.

Alex: Yeah? What do you mean "used to be"?

Michael: I... [sighs] I haven't played--

Alex: What level were you at?

Michael: Uh, I was rated... oof. I don't want to say my rating wrong on national TV, but probably, like, a 1280 was my top rating, which is not very good.

Alex: All righty. Thanks.

Alex: Okay, Jacqueline Hawkins is an English professor from Louisville, Kentucky. You're gonna love this, folks. Uh, tell us where you met your, uh, husband.

Jacqueline: Well, I met my husband Charles at my ex-fiancé's high school graduation party. And he came into the party with an old school game boy, and he had maxed out his tetris scores is high that the game boy actually wouldn't turn over in the score anymore. And that obviously very impressive.

[Laughter]

Alex: I take it he's very bright also.

Jacqueline: Yes, he is. [Chuckles]

Alex: Thank you very much. Okay.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Michael: $9,200
Eric: $6,200
Jacqueline: $1,800
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PLACES IN SONG (4/5)
TALK ABOUT THE CLIMATE (5/5)
BIG WORDS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AUTHORS & THEIR WORKS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ASIAN AMERICANS (5/5)
WHAT?!...WHEN?! (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michael: 12 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Eric: 11 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Jacqueline: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Eric snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Jacqueline had $2,600, Michael had $11,200, and Eric was at $9,800. Eric wagered $5,000.

AUTHORS & THEIR WORKS $1600: O, by the way, Willa Cather took the title of this 1913 novel from a Walt Whitman poem

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Michael who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Jacqueline had $2,200, Michael had $14,800, and Eric was at $14,400. Michael wagered $7,000.

BIG WORDS $2000: This synonym for "gigantic" was in use more than 200 years before a 1912 event put a new spin on it

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PLACES IN SONG $2000: Bob Dylan:
"Stuck Inside Of ____ With The ____ Blues Again"
(2 different cities, please)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Michael: $28,600
Eric: $20,800
Jacqueline: $6,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: As we go into Final, good news for Jacqueline. Our judges have revisited her response of the Chilean current, when we were expecting and hoping for the Humboldt current a little while ago. They have accepted her response. Her total is now correct at $6,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TRANSPORTATION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Michael: Wager $13,001 to cover Eric, but no more than $16,199 so as not to fall behind Jacqueline's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $601.
Eric: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $5,200 (martian), and you'll win the game if Michael wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Jacqueline: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Incorporated in 1948, this company chose its name from the book of the Hebrew prophet Hosea

FINAL SCORES
Jacqueline: $6,200 - $6,200 = $0 (What is ?) (3rd place)
Eric: $20,800 - $14,599 = $6,201 (What is Amtrak) (2nd place)
Michael: $28,600 - $16,199 = $12,401 (What is Greyhound) (New champion: $12,401)
(Alex: It helps if you're in the right area. If you're on the ground, you're in trouble.)
(Alex: [To Eric] No, he's on the ground, on the rails. And he's on the rails in more ways than one, he loses $14,599, he has $6,201.)
(Alex: No, think of air, think of Hebrew, [*]. And the year, very important, 1948.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Michael: $23,000, 26 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Eric: $17,400, 22 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Jacqueline: $6,200, 11 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $46,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Michael: 26/60 = .433
Eric: 22/59 = .373
Jacqueline: 11/58 = .190
Team: 59/63 = .937

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE FILM-TO-TV ROLE $400: Chris Vance sat in Jason Statham's seat behind the Audi's steering wheel when this movie series hit the small screen
(Eric: What is The Transformer?)
(Alex: Right.)
[someone yells from off-stage]
(Eric: Oh! oh!)
(Alex: Oh, sorry.)

FONTS $200: Updated from inscriptions in this empire, Trajan became common on movie posters

FONTS $400: Business News Daily named Calibri one of the best fonts for this document--now go update yours

OF INFORMATION $800: In 1876, this Impressionist painted "A Girl with a Watering Can"

OF INFORMATION $1000: Until 1971 a British pound equaled 20 of these
(Jacqueline: What are American dollars?)

FONTS $600: OCR-A was designed in 1968 so machines could read it: OCR is short for this "character recognition"

FONTS $800: The recently trendy font this "Sans" was inspired by this type of "book"

FONTS $1000: It was designed by a member of this German movement for "art & technology, a new unity"

AUTHORS & THEIR WORKS $2000: Perhaps it was "An American Tragedy" that there was a ban on this author's semi-autobiographical "The 'Genius'"
(Eric: Who is Dreier?)

BIG WORDS $400: Yale University Library classifies books in excess of 27 cm in height or 19 cm in width as this big "O"
(Jacqueline: What is octavo?)

WHAT?!...WHEN?! $2000: On October 14, 1066 this son of Godwine lost the Battle of Hastings
[ERRATUM: The clue misspells "Godwin" as "Godwine".]

ASIAN AMERICANS $1600: This son of Chinese parents made his Carnegie Hall debut before his 17th birthday

TALK ABOUT THE CLIMATE $1200: (Former Vice President Al Gore delivers the clue.) In 2007 the European Space Agency reported that polar ice had melted to such an extent that this fabled shortcut from the Atlantic to the Pacific was fully navigable for the first time

TALK ABOUT THE CLIMATE $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows an animation of a stormcloud moving over a mountain on the monitor.) Stormclouds tend to drop more precipitation on the windward side of a mountain range; when that happens, the dryer side is in what's called a "rain" one of these dark areas
(Jacqueline: What is a desert?)

TALK ABOUT THE CLIMATE $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew uses the monitor to wrap up the category and round.) By exchanging heat between colder & warmer latitudes, ocean currents such as this one off the coast of South America have important effects on local climates
(Jacqueline: What is the Chilean current?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; reversed before Final Jeopardy!]

CORRECT RESPONSES
cell phones
O Pioneers!
Titanic
Mobile & Memphis
El Al Airlines
The Transporter
the Roman Empire
a résumé
(Pierre-Auguste) Renoir
a shilling
optical
Comic
Bauhaus
(Theodore) Dreiser
oversized
Harold II
Yo-Yo Ma
the Northwest Passage
a shadow
the Humboldt current
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Transportation
Incorporated in 1948, this company chose its name from the book of the Hebrew prophet Hosea.
Spoiler
What is El-Al Airlines? Jacqueline had no response, Eric said Amtrak and Michael said Greyhound.
Michael Bilow: $28,600-$16,199=$12,401....now a 1-day champion with $12,401
Eric Swanson: $20,800-$14,599= $6,201
Jacqueline Hawkins: $6,200-$6,200=$0
Last edited by Bamaman on Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

Saw the FJ on NYTimes as I can't watch the game due to NCAA. Would be interesting to see the get rate on this FJ, knew what the clue was referring to - but had no idea I need to know that too :|
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

An excellent example of where extra information in the FJ clue very likely caused the players to miss the obvious: 1948 + Hebrew = Israel.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Elijah Baley wrote:An excellent example of where extra information in the FJ clue very likely caused the players to miss the obvious: 1948 + Hebrew = Israel.
I was stumped at first. I know nothing about that book of the Bible so that was no help. Then I remembered Israel was founded in 1948. I wasn't 100% sure that was the exact name of the airline, but was pretty certain and that's all I had.

Congrats to Michael and I'm sure his live tweeting session will be fun. Luckily for him Eric made a horrible wager.

Just wasn't Jacqueline's day.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That was quite a game. Even though Jacqueline finished DJ well below the challengers, she could have won if she'd gotten FJ correct. Any of the players could have. It was instaget for me. How did they all miss those clues? And their incorrect answers sucked. Greyhound founded 1948? Amtrak founded 1948? Either of them in the book of Hosea?

I hope the new champ will scream on Monday.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
michaelbilow
Valued Contributor

Post by michaelbilow »

floridagator wrote:That was quite a game. Even though Jacqueline finished DJ well below the challengers, she could have won if she'd gotten FJ correct.
Actually, she couldn't have--if she'd doubled up she still would've lost (to me) by a dollar.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

No offense to Michael, but it was really hard to root for anyone the way they left the national anthems category to the end. If you want my support, treat a national anthems category like all your Christmases have come at once and say "yay! free money!" :) I think the writers cribbed heavily from this article for their material for that category.

We at least had the same response for FJ!, nothing was coming to me, but it made complete sense on reveal, as I"m sure it did for the players. So you're back in my good books now, Michael. :)

And Eric, wow, he put up a hell of a fight. He deserves more than $2000 for the challenge he gave. (I've also long advocated that the prizes for second and third need to be reevaluated, this is a good example.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

I have seen hell and it is a Jeopardy! clue in comic sans.

Michael, well done on a thoroughly deserved win. But still, we all knew you were going to win before the game started.

Instaget FJ for me, the clues were overwhelming. Late '40s + Hebrew? Nowhere else to go but El Al there. Maybe that guy who got "Maine" in the previous FJ gasped at that miss, eh Michael? ;)
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Oh my goodness... some of the wagers earlier from the weeks were bad, now this was quite the case of the "Overbetting Strategy". Michael was only $7800 ahead. He could have bet at least $13,001 to save him a bit more money. If Eric had a little bit more than that, then that wager would have been a good idea. Perhaps he thought Eric had more money that he overbetted?
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

michaelbilow wrote:
floridagator wrote:That was quite a game. Even though Jacqueline finished DJ well below the challengers, she could have won if she'd gotten FJ correct.
Actually, she couldn't have--if she'd doubled up she still would've lost (to me) by a dollar.
Uh...that actually is true. Either way, that would have got you a win even if you had covered Eric's score. But likewise, congrats on the win.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Nice game, Michael! Slam's Rule proven again. Bad luck on the FJ. I totally missed the Israel connection. I said Avis, the only name I got to that sounded even vaguely biblical.
Sheepin' it real.
elijahjt
Contributor

Post by elijahjt »

This FJ was one of those instances where I was burned by knowing too much. I thought it was Egged instantly, and I never wavered. And then I spent the rest of the time wondering why Jeopardy! would expect a typical contestant to know this company.

Upon reveal (or rather upon Googling, as I play with the NYTimes clue), I realized, oh, no, they don't. El Al is much more gettable, and for some reason I never even considered it. That being said, having already known El Al meant something like "to the sky", I'm surprised it has bibical origins. Much more reasonable than Greyhound and Amtrak though; I'd like to think that the last contestant who drew a blank at least knew the answer was something related to Israel but just couldn't come up with a name.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:Nice game, Michael! Slam's Rule proven again. Bad luck on the FJ. I totally missed the Israel connection. I said Avis, the only name I got to that sounded even vaguely biblical.
You were close on the date, they were founded in 1946. But they were named for its founder, Warren Avis.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Good lord Michael, no wonder you were itching to talk about this game :)

Well done, sir. I'm Jewish, I've known many friends who have traveled to Israel, and I'm fairly sure I've never heard of El-Al Airlines in my entire life.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Fonts and "-Ey". Oddly got only $1,000 in Information.

Not a glimmer of reognition on the first four in Film to TV (I especially thought Transporter was undervalued). Then we get to Sarah Connor at $1,000 and I blank on her freaking name.

Also went through the entire 2014 category without any recognition. NHO Pistorius, and saw no way to get "sinkhole".

No surprise that What, When was a goose egg for me.

Got the middle three in Places in Song.

Tiger Woods is Asian-American?!?

No guess on FJ! I have absolutely no idea what Hosea entails, and not even "in the air" made me go "was there a famous angel in Hosea?!?" Derp.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Tiger Woods is Asian-American?!?
And African-American. And a golfer!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

elijahjt wrote:Upon reveal (or rather upon Googling, as I play with the NYTimes clue), I realized, oh, no, they don't. El Al is much more gettable, and for some reason I never even considered it. That being said, having already known El Al meant something like "to the sky", I'm surprised it has bibical origins....
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1290

FJ category TRANSPORTATION: The name of this airline established in 1948 means "skyward"
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

This FJ is an all-time headslapper for me. I kept trying to thing of airlines that sounded biblical and couldn't come up with anything. Gotta slow down and see the obvious.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS