Wednesday, July 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, July 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by jeff6286 »

Linda Percy: $19,600-$10,401=$9,199
Amy George: $15,000-$14,998=$2
Ryan Fox: $14,800+$4,000=$18,800

Royalty
On the run following the siege of Oxford he surrendered May 5, 1646 near Newark on Trent.
Spoiler
Who is Charles I? Amy said Richard III and Linda said James II.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a very easy board. I had 26 gets in the J! round--I missed the Gwen Stefani song, and 3 clues in Bartlett's quotes. I didn't do as well in DJ but I was still under the impression that it was on the easy side.

I was surprised that FJ was only a single get. I think that there was a FJ clue on Charles I not very long ago that was similar.

I am sorry to see Linda go like that. She was a good player.
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

I had an average game tonight, but missed FJ, guessing Henry VIII. It was a pretty boring game.
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

I'll miss Linda : I liked how she was always so calm.

I got FJ rather easily : reading the Three Musketeers (when I was young) helped pinpoint the time period (and which king was on the throne of England at that time).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It didn't take long to have another game with each player correct on a DD. Amy and Ryan sure liked the DJ round to make it a tight contest entering FJ. It's not often 14,800 is the low score entering the last clue. Ryan found the way to make it work with the sole solve plus a Zerg Cam.

Linda would have been a worthy addition to the TOC field. She played well in every game.

The FJ category of Royalty is one I've seen turn the tables many times before with more sole solves and TSes then triple hits I would guess. My guess of Charles I was just that, a guess. I'll take it. J! is a funny game when I miss one on a good category last night and get one on an unfavorable category tonight.

My thinking was it has to be one of those Charleses or one of the Jameses. Somewhere in my monarchy studying from six years ago I thought I recalled Charles I was beheaded. I was hopeful the clue mentioning on the run and surrendering meant he was in trouble. The year and the places used in the clue were not going to help me other than I knew it was pre-Anne & George time.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Let's do the BIG THING! I want to do the BIG THING! :lol:

OK, now that I have ridiculed Ryan, I will congratulate him on an impressive comeback. :geek:
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Ryan found the way to make it work with the sole solve plus a Zerg Cam.
At times it seemed like this episode was one extended Zerg cam for Ryan -- he repeatedly seemed shocked at his good fortune (such as when he nailed the Colleges & Universities DD). It was good to see him genuinely enjoying the game and playing with emotion; however, the flip side was that I almost wondered if he was somewhat lacking in confidence. It'll be interesting to see his demeanor tomorrow when he's playing with a win under his belt. (I also suspected that he may have exhibited similar emotion at his audition, and that such animation may have helped him get picked).

I wasn't too surprised when the neg of Amy for "social compact" was reversed; I had been expecting the reversal from the moment when she was dinged.

In the "ring" category, for the synonym for bravery (official response: "daring"), I assume that my response of "derring-do" was equally acceptable.

FJ was an instaget here. Time period + England meant it had to be Chuckie the first.

ETA: I enjoyed Ryan's unique way of phrasing his request to do a TDD.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
BigDaddyJ

Post by BigDaddyJ »

StevenH wrote:This was a very easy board. I had 26 gets in the J! round--I missed the Gwen Stefani song, and 3 clues in Bartlett's quotes. I didn't do as well in DJ but I was still under the impression that it was on the easy side.
I wish I could say I felt that way. I can't recall the exact number, but I had fewer than 10 gets in the J! round. Fortunately, DJ went a little bit better, but I still came in with a sub-20K Coryat. :(

No clue on FJ. Royalty is on my list of subjects to study. It would be useful to be able to translate a given year into a specific monarch like I can already do with U.S. presidents.
red_chucks
Contributor

Post by red_chucks »

Charles Stuart is acceptable for FJ!, isn't it? He wasn't Charles I in 1646--a king or a pope is Somebody until there is a Somebody II.
RCraig
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by RCraig »

red_chucks wrote:Charles Stuart is acceptable for FJ!, isn't it? He wasn't Charles I in 1646--a king or a pope is Somebody until there is a Somebody II.
I don't think they would have accepted Charles Stuart. With respect to British royalty, that's essentially the same as answering "Charles" or "King Charles" and that would clearly have been ruled incorrect. It's possible the contestants were instructed "to be specific", a tip-off to put a number after the name.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Charles Stuart can refer to Charles I or II.

I'm surprised two contestants missed this.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

When was the last time there was a ZergCam?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

hbomb1947 wrote:In the "ring" category, for the synonym for bravery (official response: "daring"), I assume that my response of "derring-do" was equally acceptable.
I'd be tempted to neg it, as a part of the clue read "the young man on the flying trapeze", referring the song (title or line, can't remember) "The Daring Young Man On The Flying Trapeze" (I remember that song from when I was a kid!) However, I've seen them neg clues based solely on not matching the TOM before, only to reverse it because the clue matched the facts, the TOM being superfluous.

Re: FJ. I remember chuckling during one clue mentioning "Charles V" and a trial and someone (I believe it was Ryan) falsely ringing in with "Henry VIII", perhaps thinking that Charles V was an English king - giving me amusement because I thought it was common knowledge there were only two King Charleses, both of them having rather unfortunate reigns (which makes one wonder about the reign of the future Charles III ... ). I suppose it was irony that Ryan was the only one who wound up getting Final.
Robert K S wrote:When was the last time there was a ZergCam?
A lot more recent than you may think (surely the shortest time between two Zergcams that I can remember, Friday, July 22, 2011 (just take a look at the first word in the thread after the Archivists' first two posts ... )

Does any one else (especially any Canadian boardie) get a vibe of a younger, nerdier (if that's possible) Stephen Harper from Ryan? (This might be due tot he fact I read an entire Maclean's magazine at work today, so I essentially OD'd on Canadian politics)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

"Goebbels" in answer to Facebook 600 was so far out and fantastic that...I believed it.
I'm smart and I want respect.
karoliner
Valued Contributor

Post by karoliner »

Royalty was my favorite category, though I feared it might be about current royals. I'm glad it wasn't. Funny that among all the English monarchs that were toppled, Linda & Amy picked two that never surrendered.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:A lot more recent than you may think (surely the shortest time between two Zergcams that I can remember, Friday, July 22, 2011 (just take a look at the first word in the thread after the Archivists' first two posts ... )
Robin Woods, Melissa Prepster, and Kevin Marshall were each ZergCammed twice, in adjacent games (although technically Melissa's were further apart since they straddled a weekend).

Edit: a little wrong about Melissa's. A Kids' Week came between her two victories.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

I just checked out Ryan's Winner's Circle interview at jeopardy.com, and it is the most emotional, exuberant interview I have ever seen there.
laubla999
Maybe Someday Jeopardy Champion

Post by laubla999 »

dhkendall wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Does any one else (especially any Canadian boardie) get a vibe of a younger, nerdier (if that's possible) Stephen Harper from Ryan? (This might be due tot he fact I read an entire Maclean's magazine at work today, so I essentially OD'd on Canadian politics)

I never saw Harper being so... enthusiastic about anything.
I don't see it at all ;-/