Wednesday, April 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7053, 2015-04-22

CONTESTANTS
Ashley Alley, an attorney from Alexandria, Virginia
Alex Schraff, a management consultant from Coral Springs, Florida
Michael Brady, a user experience designer from Norwood, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $15,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex Trebek: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Michael is our champion. Good player. And he has a bit of an accent. You'll see. Alex and Ashley, welcome aboard, and good luck to you. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. We waste no time today. Here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
AUTHORS: BORN & DIED (4/5)
BUSINESS HISTORY (4/5)
THE SPIN-OFF SOURCE (5/5) (Alex Trebek: You have to name the earlier show.)
NEW TO THE OED (4/5)
SOJOURNER (3/5)
TRUTH (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michael: 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Alex: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 3 W
Ashley: 1 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Michael: $3,200
Alex: $1,000
Ashley: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex Trebek: When you travel in foreign countries,you have to be careful, because traditions and customs are different. Ashley Alley discovered that in Russia.

Ashley: Yes, my host mom, Natasha, um--I came home one day, and she was sitting at the kitchen table crying because my parents had sent a big jar of peanut butter because I couldn't get it in Saint Petersburg, and she was offended because she thought I had told them that her cooking was terrible and they had to ship me food from the States. So I explained it was a delicacy, it was special butter from peanuts, and it was for us to share, and so she was much happier.

Alex Trebek: So then you became the heroine.

Ashley: Right.

Alex Trebek: Good for you.

Alex Trebek: Alex Schraff is from Coral Springs, Florida, and this man, ladies and gentlemen, collects something that you would find unusual for...

Alex Schraff: I collect bras. Not for me, though. For charity. Uh, my sister, Krysta, is a social worker for a shelter for victims of domestic violence, and they get a ton of clothing donations every year, but the one thing that they absolutely need, or desperately need, are bras. Because of the intimate nature of the garment, few people, y'know, think to donate them. But I don't keep any for myself.

[Laughter]

Alex Trebek: I will ask no more questions...

Alex Schraff: Don't ask, don't tell.

Alex Trebek: ...about this.

Alex Trebek: Michael Brady is our champion. He, like Ashley, travels and had an interesting experience that involved a snake. What?

Michael: Yes, I was--

Alex Trebek: Not a snake on a plane?

Michael: No, not quite. I was on a business trip in Miami, and the host had arranged some entertainment for the group, and so they drove us to South Beach to see an animal handler, or a snake handler.

Alex Trebek: Mm-hm.

Michael: So, as soon as we got there, we stepped off the shuttle, and there was a guy with a 6- or 7-foot boa constrictor around his neck, and he just picked it up off his neck and flung it at us. And it landed around the shoulders of one of my colleagues. And so we're all having fun taking pictures and laughing, and then the host caught up to us, and he leans in and he whispers, "that's not our snake guy."

[Laughter]

Alex Trebek: Ohhh. All right.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Michael found the Daily Double on the 26th clue. Michael had $8,200, Alex had $1,400, and Ashley had nothing in the bank. Michael wagered $2,000.

TRUTH $600: Latin for "truth", it's Harvard's motto

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AUTHORS: BORN & DIED $1000: Born in 1885 in Sauk Centre, Minnesota, he died in 1951 near Rome

SOJOURNER $200: Nevada's capital is named for this man who sojourned through the West for 40 years
(Ashley: Uh, who is Carson?)
(Alex Trebek: Be more specific.)
(Ashley: Uh... who's...)
(Alex Trebek: Oh, Alex or Michael? Alex?)
(Alex Schraff: What is Carson City?)
(Alex Trebek: No. We're going for the man, [beep] and the man is [*].)

BUSINESS HISTORY $1000: In 1917 a cookware salesman began giving customers soapy steel-wool pads, which he later sold under this name
(Alex Schraff: What is Brillo?)

NEW TO THE OED $600: This funereal 3-word term for the toughest bracket of a sports tournament like the World Cup

TRUTH $800: I can't lie: in 1991 I took over for Lynn Swann as host of this
(Alex Trebek: And that game show was called [*]. That's why I can't lie.)

SOJOURNER $1000: He returned to Lake Victoria without Burton & mapped the region before returning home in 1863
(Ashley: Who is Livingstone?)
(Alex Schraff: Who is Lord Stanley?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Michael: $9,400
Alex: $2,200
Ashley: -$1,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
VOLCANOES (3/5)
THE 4 SEASONS-ISH (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
DEDICATIONS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
IRISH SONGS (3/5)
CROSSWORD CLUES "A" (5/5)
SOJOURNER TRUTH (2/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Michael: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Alex: 5 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Ashley: 5 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ashley snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Michael had $15,800, Alex had $3,000, and Ashley was at $1,800. Ashley wagered $1,700.

THE 4 SEASONS-ISH $2000: This African antelope got its name because it leaps 6 feet in the air when frightened

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Michael who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Michael had $18,200, Alex had $3,000, and Ashley was at $1,500. Michael wagered $1,000.

DEDICATIONS $800: Bach dedicated 6 concertos to Christian Ludwig, Margrave of this, who never paid or thanked him
(Michael: What is... Berlin?)
(Alex Trebek: No. When you think of Bach and concertos, you should think immediately of the [*] concertos. But you lost just $1,000.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
IRISH SONGS $2000: In a George M. Cohan song, he spells his name with a "double R"

IRISH SONGS $1200: It's "the sweetest" & "the dearest flow'r that grows"

SOJOURNER TRUTH $2000: A speech attributed to Truth declares, "I have plowed, and planted, and... no man could head me, and" these 4 words

DEDICATIONS $1200: His Baudelaire kids book dedications to Beatrice include "My love for you shall live forever. You, however, did not"

VOLCANOES $1600: In 1991, this volcano on Luzon spewed millions of tons of sulfur dioxide, causing depletion of the ozone layer

VOLCANOES $2000: This Antarctic volcano is known for its 40-year-old lava lake that's been dubbed Ray Lake
(Alex Trebek: Less than a minute to go now, Alex.)

SOJOURNER TRUTH $1200: In the 1860s you could buy these of Truth with the caption "I sell the shadow to support the substance"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Michael: $18,000 (lock game)
Alex: $7,000
Ashley: $3,100

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN POETRY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Michael: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,999 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Alex: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $799 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Ashley: You've no hope of catching up... unless Alex does something stupid. So risk $3,099.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This 1883 poem says, "Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand a mighty woman..."

FINAL SCORES
Ashley: $3,100 - $3,000 = $100 (What is the Rime of the Ancien) (3rd place)
Alex: $7,000 - $799 = $6,201 (What is Colossus?) (2nd place)
Michael: $18,000 + $1 = $18,001 (What is The New Colossus) (15602-day champion: $18,001)
(Alex Trebek: If you travel to New York City, you can visit the place and read the poem.)
[Michael was incorrectly announced as having a 2-day total of $33,601 instead of $33,602.]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Michael: $17,600, 27 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Alex: $7,000, 12 R, 4 W
Ashley: $3,400, 6 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $28,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Michael: 28/60 = .467
Alex: 12/58 = .207
Ashley: 6/59 = .102
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SOJOURNER $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) In 1271, this man left Venice with his dad and uncle & hit what is now Israel & Iran on his way to Shangdu, China, & the summer palace of Kublai Khan

BUSINESS HISTORY $400: Back in 1896, an insurance company started telling us it had the reliability of this landmark

SOJOURNER $800: Heinrich Harrer was already a champion skier & SS veteran when he tutored the young Dalai Lama in this city
(Michael: What is Katmandu?)

IRISH SONGS $400: "'Tis like the morn in spring" is a line from this song

THE 4 SEASONS-ISH $800: The descent of debris right after a nuclear explosion
(Michael: What is nuclear winter?)

CROSSWORD CLUES "A" $2000: A "boring" tool
(5)
(Ashley: What is an adze?)

VOLCANOES $400: When Mount St. Helens erupted in 1980, the volcanic type of this dustlike material formed a 12-mile-high column
(Alex Schraff: What is pumice?)

SOJOURNER TRUTH $800: Sojourner Truth never lost her faith, once asking this more agnostic abolitionist, "Frederick, is God dead?"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CROSSWORD CLUES "A" $1600: Gunpowder or grenades
(10)
(Michael: What is artillery?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Veritas
Sinclair Lewis
Kit Carson
S.O.S pads
group of death
To Tell the Truth
John Speke
the springbok
Brandenburg
Harrigan
my wild Irish Rose
ain't I a woman?
Lemony Snicket
Mount Pinatubo
Mount Erebus
photographs of Sojourner
"The New Colossus"
Marco Polo
Gibraltar
Lhasa
"When Irish Eyes Are Smiling"
fallout
auger
ash
Frederick Douglass
ammunition
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

American Poetry
This 1883 poem says, "Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand a mighty woman..."

Spoiler
What is The New Colossus? Ashley was going for The Rime of the Ancient Mariner; Alex said "Colossus".

Michael Brady: $18,000+$1=$18,001...now a 2-day champion with $33,601
Alex Schraff: $7,000-$799
Ashley Alley: $3,100-$3,000=$100
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I didn't notice one peep of Boston accent from Michael during his contestant interview, but I did catch it in several brief answers. I wonder if it only comes on at certain times.

I had a field day with triple stumpers. It was a good game from the 4th podium. I got Sincy Lewis, Kit Carson, To Tell the Truth, Harrigan, "Ain't I a woman?," and also the Brandenburg DD.

I have a complaint about one clue: Last call does not come "right before" closing; in most places, the law is that bars can't serve alcohol more than 30 minutes before closing so that's when last call is.

FJ was an instaget for me. Michael is simply not a risk-taker.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Holocene Hero
Valued Contributor

Post by Holocene Hero »

Finally, I get to be the first person to say hubris in a game recap.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Really? A BMS on Carson? Worried maybe it was Johnny Carson??
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:Really? A BMS on Carson? Worried maybe it was Johnny Carson??
I think they wanted you to say who it was named after, not just someone named Carson.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:
I think they wanted you to say who it was named after, not just someone named Carson.
Maybe, but then they don't BMS King James?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: To Tell the Truth, My Wild Irish Rose, Lemony Snicket. (See what I mean about funny names sticking with me? I know it's a nom de plume, but still. ["Nom de plume" is also a term that sticks with me because it sounds funny.])

"Oh, I'm sure they won't BMS Carson at $200. Wait, what, they will?! Crap, I have no idea." And why the BMS? Are there any other famous frontiersmen named Carson?! Nasty job, writers and judges. Who else didn't know which Carson to guess when BMS'd? I've seen other similar clues where they didn't BMS...

SOS was a huge negbait for Brillo IMO. Also said just "Rock" since I didn't know Prudential specifically called for Gibraltar, and it's been ages since I even thought of Hard Rock Cafe, but I got the other two.

0/5 in Authors and Sojourner, but ran Truth and got all but "group of death" in New to the OED.

All but Acropolis in Crossword Clues. Was interpreting "high point" too literally and wondered what mountain began with A.

Almost put down "What is that poem at the base of the Statue of Liberty that I can never remember the name of, even though it's come up about 50 billion times by now?" But I got as far as "that I can nev—" before the correct response finally popped into my head.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Michael on his well-played second win. The second player named Alex this week was not as good as the first Alex, and Ashley couldn't do much at all. I had 33 correct responses including four triple stumpers: Kit Carson, To Tell the Truth, Mount Pinatubo, and Mount Erebus. For FJ, I knew the poem was about the Statue of Liberty, but I couldn't think of the title.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Add me to the list. Knew most of the poem, the location, the author, but blanked on its name.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Bamaman wrote:
I was also surprised by the BMS. I don't think that they usually require the first name on clues that are written in that style.

FJ was basically an instant get. It took me a second or two to be confident on the exact title.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Surprised at BMS on Carson. Probably that threw her off the game.

As others here , didn't remember the name of the poem.

I had Brady down for a one day champ. Oops.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Yeah, I thought that was ridiculous. No BMS on President Adams or Roosevelt, but for Kit Carson, we need the full name. I have no problem with them wanting to ask for that information, but if so, put in the clue "full name of the namesake of the capital of Nevada...". Springing that on the person that won the race to the buzzer is kind of a cheap move. Unless there is some other Carson from the same time frame, which is not out of the realm of possibility, but I find it unlikely.

Oh yeah, after that BMS, on the Prudential clue, I was begging for someone to answer "The Rock" just to see if it would get a BMS as well.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
Agree that should have been BMSed.

I got the poem, but wasn't sure if it was new or American. I picked the right one.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Are there any other famous frontiersmen named Carson?! Nasty job, writers and judges. Who else didn't know which Carson to guess when BMS'd? I've seen other similar clues where they didn't BMS...

SOS was a huge negbait for Brillo IMO.
I thought the BMS was appropriate, since the clue was not just asking for a (partial) State Capital, but a specific person it was named after. I came up with Kit Carson on an educated guess. It wasn't that hard.

I also nailed SOS. As an after thought, was the year 1912 given in the clue?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Category 13 wrote:I thought the BMS was appropriate, since the clue was not just asking for a (partial) State Capital, but a specific person it was named after. I came up with Kit Carson on an educated guess. It wasn't that hard.
But 99% of the time, when they are asking for a specific person, last name only is sufficient. After all, they don't BMS 'Smith' when asking for an actress.

The BMS was bull. Completely unwarranted.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
I thought both of those were a little odd.
Chiefscrown

Post by Chiefscrown »

I know they were looking for "Fallout" but I thought "Nuclear Winter" was a possibility. Plus, we could have that "nucular" "nuclear" accent debate. :roll:
HostWithTheMost
Valued Contributor

Post by HostWithTheMost »

Mixed views on the BMS for Kit Carson. It was a $200 clue where the real answer wasn't in the last name, but in the first. Everyone who steps on a stage knows Carson City is the capital of Nevada. Merely saying Carson doesn't satisfy in this instance. What they should've done is re-worded the question and given it a higher value, ie, "this Western state capital is named for a man who roamed the west for 40 years ..."