Monday, April 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, April 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7056, 2015-04-27

CONTESTANTS
Tim Giauque, a mechanical design engineer from Waynesboro, Pennsylvania
Ann Marie Senter, a financial services officer from Raleigh, North Carolina
Greg Seroka, a chef from Steamboat Springs, Colorado (whose 2-day cash winnings total $60,601)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome aboard. The chef obviously has the right recipe--$60,000 in two appearances. The beginning of the week is always a day of high hopes for all of our players, but in about 30 minutes, those hopes will be dashed for two of the contestants. Who will the gods favor today? Let's start finding out. Good luck, players. Here we go. Now let's take a look at the categories, shall we? First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE VIETNAM WAR (5/5)
POP CULTURE STUPID ANSWERS (5/5)
WHICH STATE? (4/5)
-ISMs (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BREAKFAST CEREALS (5/5)
FROM THE FRENCH (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Greg: 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Tim: 8 R, 1 W
Ann Marie: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Greg found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Greg had $400, Ann Marie had $600, and Tim was at $2,400. Greg wagered $1,000.

-ISMs $400: In the "Italian Encyclopedia", Mussolini defined it as repudiating pacifism

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Greg: $3,400
Tim: $1,600
Ann Marie: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: We are going to go back in time with our contestants today to things that happened when they were younger. Tim Giauque, when you were 16, you were asked to tour with?

Tim: Uh, some friends of our family had kind of a family band, sort of a bluegrass outfit.

Alex: Mm-hmm.

Tim: And they, during the summers, would tour across the country and play at county fairs, state fairs, things like that, and they asked me to accompany them.

Alex: What instrument do you play?

Tim: Oh. [Laughs] I was their sound guy.

Alex: Oh, hello! Okay. Was it fun?

Tim: It was awesome. I got to see all these, uh--all these places I probably never would have had an opportunity to see otherwise.

Alex: All right, provided you with some great memories.

Tim: That's right.

Alex: Good for you.

Alex: Ann Marie Senter is from North Carolina.

Ann Marie: Yes, sir.

Alex: When you were in college, you spent some time in Mexico.

Ann Marie: I did. I spent a semester abroad there. And, um, one thing that I really enjoyed doing, it helped me learn the language a lot, was watching cartoons with my 4-year-old host brother. Um, cartoons are great because they speak slowly, they have really simple plots, they don't use big words, so I could always understand what was happening.

Alex; And have you retained, uh, that knowledge that you picked up at that time?

Ann Marie: Most of it.

Alex: Yeah?

Ann Marie: Yeah.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Greg Seroka is our champion. He is a chef from Colorado. He was on a high school trip once with his best friend, and what happened?

Greg: It's true. My best friend managed to convince the chaperones to almost leave me behind by convincing them I was on the other bus.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Greg: Um, that was terrifying. I came running out as the buses were pulling away.

Alex: Uh, did he remain your best friend for long?

Greg: Haven't seen him in years.

Alex: Uh-huh. Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FROM THE FRENCH $600: Old French gives us this word for a winner of a competition, like certain show dogs
(Ann Marie: ...What is... purebred?)

FROM THE FRENCH $800: French for "song for dancing" gives us this word for a type of sentimental or romantic song
(Tim: What is chanson?)

WHICH STATE? $1000: Calls "Hang On Sloopy" its official rock song
(Greg: What is kigga--uh, California?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Greg: $7,200
Tim: $4,600
Ann Marie: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, April 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THRILLING MILLARD FILLMORE (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
BOOKS & AUTHORS (3/5)
WHIP SMART (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ACTORS PLAYING ACTORS (5/5)
"O_U"! (5/5)
FROM THE GERMAN (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Greg: 13 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Tim: 10 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W
Ann Marie: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tim snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Greg had $9,200, Ann Marie had $1,200, and Tim was at $11,800. Tim wagered $2,000.

WHIP SMART $1200: In 1999 this film character's whip joined his fedora & brown leather jacket in the Smithosonian

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Greg who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Greg had $21,600, Ann Marie had $800, and Tim was at $16,600. Greg wagered $2,600.

THRILLING MILLARD FILLMORE $1600: Millard's 2 Secs. of State were both famous orators: Edward Everett & this man who beat the devil in a popular story

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BOOKS & AUTHORS $800: In 1994 she published a book for kiddies called "The Chinese Siamese Cat"

BOOKS & AUTHORS $1600: A character known as Oliver Stone is the leader of the Camel Club in political thrillers by this former attorney
(Ann Marie: Who is John Grisham?)

WHIP SMART $400: Britain's Army Act of 1881 banned the use of this numerical beast
(Greg: What is a quarter horse?)

WHIP SMART $2000: Here's a "Q" for you: can you name this 5-letter whip with a short handle & braided lash?

THRILLING MILLARD FILLMORE $2000: Millard's wife died of pneumonia shortly after enduring the chilly inauguration of this man, his successor
(Tim: Who is William Henry Harrison?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Greg: $24,200
Tim: $14,600
Ann Marie: $800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WEDDINGS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Greg: Wager $5,001 to cover Tim, but no more than $22,599 so as not to fall behind Ann Marie's doubled score.
Tim: You have the hope of surpassing Greg if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $9,601 and as much as $13,000 to force Greg to wager to win while still protecting your second place position from being usurped by Ann Marie.
Ann Marie: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In April 2011 he married an heiress to the fortune of a company called Party Pieces

FINAL SCORES
Ann Marie: $800 + $795 = $1,595 (Who is Prince William?) (3rd place)
Tim: $14,600 - $5,001 = $9,599 (Who is Brad Pitt?) (2nd place)
Greg: $24,200 - $5,001 = $19,199 (Who is Zuckerberg?) (60602-day champion: $19,199)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Greg: $22,600, 27 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Tim: $13,800, 18 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Ann Marie: $800, 7 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $37,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Greg: 27/60 = .450
Tim: 18/59 = .305
Ann Marie: 8/58 = .138
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
POP CULTURE STUPID ANSWERS $400: In 1983 & again in 1999, Prince had a Top 40 hit with this song
(Ann Marie: What is party like it's [*]?)
(Alex: We'll accept that, yeah. [*] was the title, but you gave us more than we needed. Good for you.)

THE VIETNAM WAR $200: The film "Last Days in Vietnam" details the fall of Saigon & the too-long-delayed evacuation of this facility
(Alex: You are right, and by the way, that film will premiere tomorrow on PBS.)

THE VIETNAM WAR $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) The 1968 assault shown here is called this, after its namesake holiday; attacks ranged from Khe Sanh down to Saigon & Vinh Loi

BOOKS & AUTHORS $400: This Laura Hillenbrand bestseller is subtitled "A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption"
(Greg: What is Band of Brothers?)

WHIP SMART $1600: Used by equestrians, this short whip with a popper instead of a lash will grow on you

FROM THE GERMAN $800: Around 1820 this towering composer said, "True art is selfish and perverse--it will not submit to the mold of flattery"
(Ann Marie: Who is Wagner?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
fascism
champion
ballad
Ohio
Indiana Jones
Daniel Webster
Amy Tan
David Baldacci
the cat o' nine tails
a quirt
Franklin Pierce
Prince William
"1999"
the American embassy
the Tet Offensive
Unbroken
a crop
Beethoven
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Weddings
In April 2011 he married an heiress to the fortune of a company called Party Pieces.

Spoiler
Who is Prince William? Tim said Brad Pitt; Greg said Mark Zuckerberg.

Greg Seroka: $24,200-$5,001=$19,199...now a 3-day champion with $79,800
Tim Giaque: $14,600-$5,001=$9,599
Ann Marie Senter: $800+$795=$1,595
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Good game. Greg fought off Tim easily. Those boards seemed to ask a lot of obscure matter, not A-list Jeopardy! questions. But I guess my only beef was Alabama for $1000. That should have been lower.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I would have gone big on the Millard Fillmore DD. There can't be a whole lot they could ask about him. And going big would have paid off as I got Daniel Webster.

Then it would have paid off again as I was clueless on FJ, never heard of that company. My guess was Hugh Hefner. I was thinking about Grace Kelly during the pre-FJ break since she was used in a clue in DJ. I guess I should have kept thinking about royal weddings.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought Pop Culture Stupid Answers were completely impenetrable for the most part. NHO Adaptation, 1999, Common, or Captain Phillips. The whole category seemed very YEKIOYD and not nearly as "obvious" as Stupid Answers usually are; I could've taken 10 guesses on $200 and never gotten Adaptation.

Cable box started glitching out partway through, but I didn't miss a clue. Scrambled my brain really bad though and I was too pissed to come up with a lot of stuff I would have normally.

NHO Unbroken either.

Thought I'd be hopeless on Fillmore, but I got two.

No clue on FJ!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:Then it would have paid off again as I was clueless on FJ, never heard of that company. My guess was Hugh Hefner. I was thinking about Grace Kelly during the pre-FJ break since she was used in a clue in DJ. I guess I should have kept thinking about royal weddings.
I must have missed that tidbit, too. Zero clue, guessed Zuckerberg just to guess something.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought Pop Culture Stupid Answers were completely impenetrable for the most part. NHO Adaptation, 1999, Common, or Captain Phillips. The whole category seemed very YEKIOYD and not nearly as "obvious" as Stupid Answers usually are; I could've taken 10 guesses on $200 and never gotten Adaptation.
I missed Adaptation and Common. Those were just stupid Stupid Answers.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Here's a possible poll question: "I actually knew this bit of trivia about Kate Middleton". I sure as !@#$ didn't, but WAGged my way into the right answer by trying to think of a famous wedding that took place around that time. I'll take it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought Pop Culture Stupid Answers were completely impenetrable for the most part. NHO Adaptation, 1999, Common, or Captain Phillips. The whole category seemed very YEKIOYD and not nearly as "obvious" as Stupid Answers usually are; I could've taken 10 guesses on $200 and never gotten Adaptation.
I missed Adaptation and Common. Those were just stupid Stupid Answers.
I didn't like that category. I never heard of Adaptation, either.

TPH....I hope you got Alabama.
Last edited by Bamaman on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:TPH....I hope you got Alabama.
Of course I did. That was the only one of those five that I'd heard of. Can we poll Adaptation?
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

Can't watch Jeopardy tonight because of animals rioting in Baltimore. Live coverage trumps on ABC 7. :(
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Bamaman wrote:TPH....I hope you got Alabama.
Of course I did. That was the only one of those five that I'd heard of. Can we poll Adaptation?
I got Phillips and 1999 also.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Then it would have paid off again as I was clueless on FJ, never heard of that company. My guess was Hugh Hefner. I was thinking about Grace Kelly during the pre-FJ break since she was used in a clue in DJ. I guess I should have kept thinking about royal weddings.
I must have missed that tidbit, too. Zero clue, guessed Zuckerberg just to guess something.
APril 2011 was the clue, if you remember the royal wedding was that month four years ago.
squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

Ugh, Triple Stumper on a clue that was basically "Which president came after Fillmore"?? Know your presidents people!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I thought that this was a pretty easy board. It was fun to watch the two gentlemen duke it out there at the end.

I more or less got FJ off the category (my precall was Kate Middleton). I am really surprised that this wasn't a triple get, though it's possible that I only remember the wedding being so highly publicized because South Park spoofed it.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

43 right.

Vietnam (4), Pop (4), State (4), Ism (3), Cereal (3), French (2)
Fillmore (5), Books (2), Whip (2), Actors (5), O_U (4), German (5)

Lach Trash: "Amy Tan", "Franklin Pierce"

No idea for FJ.
Leander

Post by Leander »

xxaaaxx wrote:Here's a possible poll question: "I actually knew this bit of trivia about Kate Middleton". I sure as !@#$ didn't, but WAGged my way into the right answer by trying to think of a famous wedding that took place around that time. I'll take it.
I didn't know the name of the company, but I knew her parents had founded a successful party business, so that plus a general idea of the date made this an instaget for me.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

I thought "Party Pieces" was supposed to be a TOM and kept racking my brain as to what it could be hinting at. Blech.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

goforthetie wrote:I thought "Party Pieces" was supposed to be a TOM and kept racking my brain as to what it could be hinting at. Blech.
That is how I went with Hefner. It sounded like some sort of sex toy business. Which is kind of silly, because I don't see Jeopardy giving a free plug to a business like that.