Monday, April 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Monday, April 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Robert K S »

Anyone who didn't know "Hang On Sloopy" = Ohio has never seen an Ohio State football game. When the song is played at games, it's one massive sing-along, and after each "...Sloopy hang on", the crowd chants "O... H... I... O" and makes out the letters with their arms, "YMCA" style. It's kind of a big thing, especially when you factor in that Buckeye Stadium's capacity is well over 100,000 and it fills up fairly routinely.

Everybody has been writing Adaptation. wrong.

I sussed out Final somehow, guessing that since there was not much else to go on in the clue, the fact that the man was marrying wealth must have some irony to it. Rich famous person married in 2011, and that's about all you need to get Prince William.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

cosmos wrote: It's also an interesting bit of trivia that Donald Kaufman was the first fictitious person to get an Oscar nomination.
You sure about that? I would've said Roderick Jaynes (aka the Coen Bros. editing together), but there are even some earlier pseudonyms, it appears. Maybe it depends on your definition of "fictitious person"?
Thanks, please submit a correction suggestion to remind me to look into it.
bleezy
Valued Contributor

Post by bleezy »

I didn't have a clue about FJ. When I saw the topic I considered, "Maybe its Prince William and Kate Middleton", but when I saw the actual clue I didn't even consider it a possibility.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote:
cosmos wrote:

see here for mistake clue: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... chid+thief
Thanks, please submit a correction suggestion to remind me to look into it.
I had a chance to check my tape:

Nice catch.
SavoyGirl
One Day Wonder, Class of 1996

Post by SavoyGirl »

Being familiar with the Sondheim musical "Pacific Overtures" helped me get two of the Millard Fillmore questions. It's about how Japan was opened in the 19th century to dealing with the West, so coming up with the country that was had been isolated was an instaget. Then coming up with Fillmore's successor only required remembering a line from the song "Please Hello" ...."President Fillmore now named Pierce".
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

Bamaman wrote:I would have gone big on the Millard Fillmore DD. There can't be a whole lot they could ask about him. And going big would have paid off as I got Daniel Webster.

Then it would have paid off again as I was clueless on FJ, never heard of that company. My guess was Hugh Hefner. I was thinking about Grace Kelly during the pre-FJ break since she was used in a clue in DJ. I guess I should have kept thinking about royal weddings.

I guessed Hugh Hefner, too! I didn't have much faith in it but I'm glad to know I was not alone.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I got as far as "I bet it's what's-her-name and Prince...uh...". I hope that there are days when I would have converted the TOM to useful information even if today wasn't one of them.

Spoilering for a baseball-related story about why the date helped me. I don't know if it's interesting or not.
Spoiler
I don't tend to follow stuff like this, but I have a reason to be able to place that date. The first time I went to the new Busch Stadium was April 22, 2011. It was a group outing and there was a really nasty weather forecast. I came prepared with gear for cold and rain, plus stuff to read including a Newsweek from a few weeks prior. That turned out to be the day that a tornado hit Lambert Airport so I spent a fair amount of time huddled in the Ladies' Room, reading about the royal wedding and wondering how long it would be until the sirens would stop. After a lengthy delay, baseball resumed, closer to 9:30 than 9:00 if I recall correctly. The one thing I hadn't prepared for was someone in the group to stand up in the third inning and say it was time to go home. Apparently the bus driver had a time limit. So there was about 7 hours of bus time and waiting time for about an hour of baseball.

I decided to skip this excursion the following year and missed the streaker on May 24, 2012.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Add me to the list of "NHO that particular fact about Kate Middleton" (and wouldn't have guessed William if given all day).

Greg marches on commendably. However...did I miss something, or was his FJ wager all wrong? He didn't make the traditional $1 lockout, and could have been beaten by Tim if both answered correctly and Tim went all in.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

John Boy wrote:Add me to the list of "NHO that particular fact about Kate Middleton" (and wouldn't have guessed William if given all day).

Greg marches on commendably. However...did I miss something, or was his FJ wager all wrong? He didn't make the traditional $1 lockout, and could have been beaten by Tim if both answered correctly and Tim went all in.
As seen in the first page of this thread, Greg had $24200 and TIm had $14600, and Greg bet the expected $5001.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

ElendilPickle wrote:
Leander wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:Here's a possible poll question: "I actually knew this bit of trivia about Kate Middleton". I sure as !@#$ didn't, but WAGged my way into the right answer by trying to think of a famous wedding that took place around that time. I'll take it.
I didn't know the name of the company, but I knew her parents had founded a successful party business, so that plus a general idea of the date made this an instaget for me.
Same here.

Common and John Legend must have just won their award (did the clue say Grammy or Oscar?) for "Glory" shortly before taping this game.
This show was taped on the tuesday after the oscars. I know because I was there and am a contestant in tonite's game.

As for Final Jeopardy, my wife (who was in the audience) and I knew it instantly. We were married May, 2010 and Will and Kate's wedding was almost a year to the day after ours. We like to think they copied us.
sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by sillymonkey »

mrsal67 wrote:
This show was taped on the tuesday after the oscars. I know because I was there and am a contestant in tonite's game.
Best of retro luck tonight, mrsal!
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

SavoyGirl wrote:Being familiar with the Sondheim musical "Pacific Overtures" helped me get two of the Millard Fillmore questions. It's about how Japan was opened in the 19th century to dealing with the West, so coming up with the country that was had been isolated was an instaget. Then coming up with Fillmore's successor only required remembering a line from the song "Please Hello" ...."President Fillmore now named Pierce".
Nice to know someone else is a fan of possibly the best musical no one ever remembers. "Someone in a Tree" -- the tale of a group of partial observers of history -- is one of the most human, in all the good senses of the word, songs I have ever heard.

Amy Tan was an instaget. If you have or have had children of a certain age in the last twenty years, Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat was a regular feature on your local PBS station. And it was a HELL of a lot better than Caillou.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Just my luck that the only trivia I know about the wedding of William and Kate is that they were married on April 29, just like Eva Braun and Adolf Hitler.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought Pop Culture Stupid Answers were completely impenetrable for the most part. NHO Adaptation, 1999, Common, or Captain Phillips. The whole category seemed very YEKIOYD and not nearly as "obvious" as Stupid Answers usually are; I could've taken 10 guesses on $200 and never gotten Adaptation.
Weird. I'm relatively new to J! and this was the first time I'd seen "Stupid Answers" and couldn't believe that a category like that would even make the cut. Instaget on all 5.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:Amy Tan was an instaget. If you have or have had children of a certain age in the last twenty years, Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat was a regular feature on your local PBS station. And it was a HELL of a lot better than Caillou.
Seriously, has there ever been a worse children's program? Every episode is just Caillou being a whiny brat. Yeah, that's the example I want to set for my kids.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:Amy Tan was an instaget. If you have or have had children of a certain age in the last twenty years, Sagwa, the Chinese Siamese Cat was a regular feature on your local PBS station. And it was a HELL of a lot better than Caillou.
Seriously, has there ever been a worse children's program? Every episode is just Caillou being a whiny brat. Yeah, that's the example I want to set for my kids.
We watched it a few times with Bamaboy when he as little. He liked it, but we found it annoying. Then he started acting out like Caillou and we never turned it on again. I cannot imagine who at PBS thought this would be a good program for kids.

Teletubbies wasn't much better. No, I did not think they were gay, just very stupid.

Somehow we missed that Amy Tan cartoon, but I got the clue right anyway.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
We watched it a few times with Bamaboy when he as little. He liked it, but we found it annoying. Then he started acting out like Caillou and we never turned it on again. I cannot imagine who at PBS thought this would be a good program for kids.

Teletubbies wasn't much better. No, I did not think they were gay, just very stupid.

Somehow we missed that Amy Tan cartoon, but I got the clue right anyway.
The worst (well, I guess "most bizarre" is the adjective I need here) children's cartoon I've ever seen when my kids were young was Yo Gabba Gabba. I describe it to others as "Teletubbies on acid".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

No idea on FJ. I don't follow British news too closely.
I went 5/5 in Vietnam war (I was a participant), -isms, and Actors playing actors. I especially liked this category.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Retro good luck tonight!
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

Robert K S wrote:
cosmos wrote: It's also an interesting bit of trivia that Donald Kaufman was the first fictitious person to get an Oscar nomination.
You sure about that? I would've said Roderick Jaynes (aka the Coen Bros. editing together), but there are even some earlier pseudonyms, it appears. Maybe it depends on your definition of "fictitious person"?
Yes, I meant fictitious in the sense of being imaginary or not real, as opposed to being a pseudonym for a real person.