Tuesday, April 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, April 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by zakharov »

I hope Puss in Boots reads every category and replaces Alex as host.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Supremes were not hit, but of course Beastie Boys, Destiny's Child, Green Day, & Blink-182 were hit with no problem. Is there even a single person here who matched that YNYYY result? It was YYYYN for me.

If one of the three players had not done Lindsay Wagner = The Bionic Woman I might have needed a new TV. :)

"Entry of the Gladiators" is one I agree with the music not being necessary. My response upon seeing the wording was clowns, but I knew circus performers had to be considered good enough. That song was a $100,000 winning Mystery Tune on Name That Tune back in the 1970s.

Greg has a 25.25 average for clues right after four games. In the past TOC the leaders were:

Andrew Moore: 26
(Jerry Slowik: 25.17)
Arthur Chu: 25.75
Julia Collins & John Pearson: 24
Jared Hall: 23.29
Ben Ingram: 21.89

The more recent champ
Spoiler
Alex Jacob had a 26R average for his 7 games.
econgator wrote:
gamawire wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Didn't like the term "hit" in FJ, doesn't really define it, I knew, for example, that "It's Pat" didn't qualify, but I didn't know if my answer of "Coneheads" did. It obviously wasn't as much of a hit as "Wayne's World", but it was a bigger hit than "It's Pat", so ... ?
I said Coneheads as well, calling it a solid guess. Turns out Wayne's World was 1992 and Coneheads was 1993 - so close!
Yeah, that's pretty much a bullshit clue.
No argument from me since guessing Coneheads cost me my streak at 11. The players going 3/3 only made it worse, so I'm thankful to find some company on this forum. Well, that's another poll option to check at the end of the week.

Myron: Okay, your streak is now one ahead of me. :)

Salvatore: Congrats on getting on J! and too bad you did not get a better draw.

With just a few days to go I still have my perfecto going at Sploofus, so I'll see how that goes later tonight.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

skullturf wrote:I got the $2000 clue in Running Dogs
Really? I wonder how... :)
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Supremes were not hit, but of course Beastie Boys, Destiny's Child, Green Day, & Blink-182 were hit with no problem. Is there even a single person here who matched that YNYYY result? It was YYYYN for me.
I knew all but Blink, but clammed on Green Day and Supremes.
MarkBarrett wrote:"Entry of the Gladiators" is one I agree with the music not being necessary.
Entry #479 on "Things I Learned from TV Tropes". (#480 being "I have absolutely zero suspension of disbelief, which means that I should instantly partake of a LOT more fiction, but also means that doing so to build up my suspension of disbelief in the first place will be a real chore.")
Winchell Factor wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT Israel on Where Ya From? for $400?
Sabra = native-born Israeli Jew.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_%28person%29
Which is why it's only ever come up once before in the Archive. $1,200, $200, same difference, right?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dhkendall wrote:Oh come on, did you have to *play* "Entry of the Gladiators"? That made it a lot more easy than it could have been.
Seriously...that probably cost us a clue right there.
triviawayne wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: "Well, the only mountain I know of in Alaska is McKinley, but that's not named for a politician!"
Our 25th President would like a word with you.
You still consider him a politician?...
Woppy T wrote:any Simpsons fans have a problem with the Monte Burns response?
Not a 'fan' per se...but no. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STLSif1szHI Not the greatest clip, but it's a parody of the Citizen Kane song where they name drop 'Monty Burns.'

Was I the only one who tried deciding between 'Night at the Roxbury' and 'Wayne's World'?...probably. Thankfully I had the sense to realize WW was probably the older of the two.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

That's like the fourth time I've blanked on Inigo Montoya. Considering that one of my fictional crushes has the last name Montoya as a shout-out to that very scene, you'd think it would've stuck by now.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I have never heard of Bluenose for Nova Scotians and we've got one in the extended family. And Onion for Bermudan? LOL anyway, I'm another Coneheads which breaks up a ministreak. Well-played game by Greg again but it's too bad Sal had to play during his run.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Couldn't decide between Wayne's World and Coneheads and went with Coneheads since its from an earlier sketch. Chris Farrely being in it made me think maybe it was later, but.... oh well.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

LHamilton wrote:The wording in FJ was a little vague. It helped that Wayne's World was the second SNL movie, period. No other films came out between BB and WW.
Yes, I assumed that "hit" was supposed to be a TOM, NOT to exclude an alternate answer.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,600
44 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: The Supremes, quibble, seventh heaven, Newcastle (DD)
C: Continental Congress

I disagree with the hate for Puss In Boots, although it seemed like a pointless addition to the category. There's no point in saying this "cost" us the other two clues; TPTB could have squeezed them in if they wanted to.

I agree with the hate for standing around/hanging around, though, as it was my lone miss of the night. I think the writers put in the LAPD website bit to pin down the clue (and add color, of course), but it is bad form to use a pin that is not expected to be known by the players and makes an equally conceptually correct response incorrect.

I wonder how well I would have done on FJ! had I not attended the Rangers game tonight. Around the seventh inning, they play a video featuring the "Bohemian Rhapsody" scene from Wayne's World. Being in high school when both Wayne's World and Coneheads came out was helpful on the order of the two; I remember that "Bohemian Rhapsody" was (once again) popular before the Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Soul to Squeeze."
Sprinkles are for winners.
willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen »

I'm also glad to see others who guessed Coneheads for FJ. I also had my doubts about it fitting the word "hit," but the right response never even occurred to me. When all three contestants got it right I realized I was paying for spending the last 20-plus years ignoring the whole Wayne's World phenomenon.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

dhkendall wrote:
Great to see another boardie (Salvatore, aka mrsal) play. Looks like you were beaten on the buzzer a lot in DJ, perhaps the CCs helped Dani (and maybe Greg) with their buzzer technique? (It looks like you have a bit of Native American in your ancestry?)
I had trouble on the buzzer during practice (maggie actually helped me out) but I thought I got better and was able to ring in early in the game. I found that any bit of hesitation cost me the clue. Sometimes I don't think I even saw the lights go on before Greg rang in. In his games he seems to pick up speed as the game progresses.

The Puss in Boots category felt extremely long winded when on stage. But it did give a great moment that got edited out. After I answered Zorro I then said I'll take "Piss in Boots" (accidentally of course) for $600. The local school kids in the audience had a riot. But I had to spend ten minutes after the show rerecording it.

As for the Native American, that is a first. My father is Italian (he was born near Naples) and my mom is half Sicilian (yes there is a difference) and half Russian.

Thanks for your support.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

The Talking Mime wrote: Instaget FJ. Loved Alex's church lady impression before the reveal.
When Alex did his church lady impression, I thought I was wrong. Not sure why he did that.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

Category 13 wrote:
Salvatore certainly muffed that first Two Syllable, Two Syllable clue.

Dani went with a 'nice tidy number' for her FJ wager, as opposed to a 'nice round number' resulting sum. Had Salvatore wagered a 'nice tidy' $5000 he would have taken second place away from her.
For the Hard Rock/Heavy Metal clue, I didn't even recall that rock was in the clue till last night. I was trying to beat Greg on the buzzzer.

As for the FJ wager, I assumed that Dani would either bet to lock out my double up or she would bet zero. I went with her betting zero.
The really funny thing is that I have friends and family that don't regularly watch the show thinking I took home $9201.
mrsal67
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mrsal67 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
econgator wrote:
gamawire wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Didn't like the term "hit" in FJ, doesn't really define it, I knew, for example, that "It's Pat" didn't qualify, but I didn't know if my answer of "Coneheads" did. It obviously wasn't as much of a hit as "Wayne's World", but it was a bigger hit than "It's Pat", so ... ?
I said Coneheads as well, calling it a solid guess. Turns out Wayne's World was 1992 and Coneheads was 1993 - so close!
Yeah, that's pretty much a bullshit clue.
No argument from me since guessing Coneheads cost me my streak at 11. The players going 3/3 only made it worse, so I'm thankful to find some company on this forum. Well, that's another poll option to check at the end of the week.
I did not focus on the term hit at all while on stage so I am not sure why everyone is focused on it. I knew that people would guess coneheads but I knew wayne's world came out earlier and started the run of turning all SNL sketches into movies.

I will call BS on one part of FJ and that is calling the Blues Brothers an SNL sketch. They were formed by Belushi and Aykroyd outside of SNL and then brought in as a musical act. Also, Lorne Michaels is a producer and owns a piece of all the SNL based movies. However, he is not a producer or involved in the Blues Brothers.
Yes I know that Wikipedia lists them as a sketch, and when has wikipedia been wrong.

As for the bad draw, you know you are in trouble when you find out in the morning that there is a 2 day returning champ that already won $60,000.00.
Spoiler
I am still upset with Tim for not knowing FJ on Monday.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mrsal67 wrote:I will call BS on one part of FJ and that is calling the Blues Brothers an SNL sketch. They were formed by Belushi and Aykroyd outside of SNL and then brought in as a musical act. Also, Lorne Michaels is a producer and owns a piece of all the SNL based movies. However, he is not a producer or involved in the Blues Brothers.
That's an interesting point. Sort of a failure on the writers' part...

Were the Blues Brothers ever involved in a sketch? I know they performed in the bee costumes once, and the bees were from a different set of sketches.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote:My problem with Puss was that it was hard to understand what he was saying. I gave poor eyesight, so the text being smaller was hard to read and the background if the animation didn't help. Plus he was creepy to look at.
Apparently I'm not the only one who thought this category was a dud. Let alone small text and hard to understand; it seemed like an ill-conceived way of saying "Look! We know how to use technology to 'jazz up' our clues." Of course, knowing how doesn't mean you MUST do it.

Please, writers/producers: no more.

That said, congrats to the champ on another fine win and a helluva streak going on here.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT Israel on Where Ya From? for $400?
Sabra = native-born Israeli Jew.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_%28person%29
Which is why it's only ever come up once before in the Archive. $1,200, $200, same difference, right?
Sabra is also a brand of hummus that you can buy in the grocery store. That might've gotten a person, if not to Israel, at least to the middle east.

http://sabra.com/, and also "Flavor of the Month" for $200 at http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?g ... ight=sabra

I'm not necessarily saying that this clue was top-row easy, but these are some things a person might've known to get him to the correct response.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mrsal67 wrote:
The Talking Mime wrote: Instaget FJ. Loved Alex's church lady impression before the reveal.
When Alex did his church lady impression, I thought I was wrong. Not sure why he did that.
Dana Carvey connection
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Volante wrote:
mrsal67 wrote:
Dana Carvey connection
And a Wayne Campbell or Garth Algar impression would have been a catastrophe.