TD 242: So It's Seriously Come to an Excuse for the Worst TD Ever

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

TD 242: So It's Seriously Come to an Excuse for the Worst TD Ever

Post by StevenH »

To celebrate my tenth time running a Think Different contest, I have decided to make TD 242 a “Greatest Hits” TD that uses my favorite questions that I used in the past TD games that I hosted. I selected at least one question from all six regular TD games that I ran (TDs no. 17, 81, 88, 103, 130, 222) and at least one question from all three of the themed TD games that I ran (The Simpsons, Jeopardy!, and the NBA). Since running a TD game is always a learning experience I did slightly edit some of the questions in order to make them more playable, but they are mostly still the same.

The 14 Regular Questions
1. The number of points for a correct response to a question will be equal to the total number of people, including you, who give that same correct response. Your objective is to give the correct response to each question that you believe will be the least used by everyone else who enters the contest.
2. The number of points for an incorrect response to a question will be equal to the number of people who give the most popular answer (or one of the answers that is tied for the most popular) +5.
3. You may DROP two of the fourteen regular questions, for scores of 0 points on both questions. Since the lowest cumulative score wins there is no good reason not to use your drops, so please remember to use both of them.
4. You may also SHEEP two of the fourteen regular questions. This means that the number of points that you receive for each question that you sheep will be equal to the total number of people, including you, who also sheep that question. You may choose to use only one of your sheeps or not to sheep any question at all, but there is no bonus for choosing either of those options.
5. In regards to the drops and sheeps: yes, I am allowing you to use more lifelines than what are usually allowed in TD games. The reason is that my TD games tend to play on the difficult side, and I have a feeling that this one will be no exception.

The 2 Tiebreaker Questions
1. Both tiebreaker questions are questions that I used as tiebreaker questions in past TD games, and they are still meant to be very easy questions with only a handful of correct responses.
2. You are required to answer BOTH tiebreaker questions, provided that you have answers to both.
3. Scoring for both tiebreaker questions works the same as for the 14 regular questions, but your scores on the tiebreaker questions will not change your overall numerical score; they will only have an impact on your final position on the leader board, provided that you do end up tied with at least one other player after the 14 regular questions have been scored.

Basic Rules
1. You may only submit your answers by private messaging them to me. Please do not post any of your answers in this thread.
2. You may only use what is already in your brain to answer the questions! Absolutely NO CHEATING is allowed! This includes but is not limited to searching the Internet, looking at a book, asking another person for help, or looking at any of my previous TD contests and seeing how the questions played out. Everyone is welcome to enter this contest; all I ask in return for putting in the time and effort to run it is that you play honestly.
3. Scoring is by addition, and the lowest cumulative score wins.
4. Ties will be broken in the following order: lowest score on tiebreaker question 1, lowest score on tiebreaker question 2, lowest multiplied score on the 12 regular questions that you do not drop, earliest entry received.
5. If you want to change any of your answers after you have submitted then you may do so, as long you give me your new answer(s) before the deadline and you haven’t purposely looked up the answer(s). However, if you do choose to change any of your answers then your spot in the order that the entries were received will be moved to reflect the timing of your new answer(s) being submitted to me. And this will apply to your most recent revised answer(s) if you send more than one correction to me. I don’t anticipate that any tiebreakers will get to the “time of entry received” point, but I still wanted to point this out.
6. You’re welcome to plead your case publicly or privately if you disagree with a ruling that I make, but I still reserve the right to accept, prompt, or ding any response to any of the questions. And if I have to prompt you for an answer(s) then your place in the order in which the entries were received will stay the same, but you are still responsible for sending me a new answer before the deadline at the risk of your original answer being ruled incorrect.
7. If you need a clarification then feel free to ask in this thread or by private messaging me, but if your question may potentially spoil any answers for any of the questions then please ask me via private message.
8. The deadline to submit your answers to me is Monday May 11, 2014, by 6:00 PM eastern. However, I will accept late entries as long as I receive them before I start the reveal.

Best of luck to everyone who enters!
Last edited by StevenH on Sun May 03, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StevenH

Re: TD 242: So It's Seriously Come to an Excuse for the Worst TD Ever

Post by StevenH »

1. Name a play that Henrik Ibsen wrote.

2. Remember when Macauly Culkin was a child star? Those were the days! NOT COUNTING SEQUELS, name a movie in which Macauly Culkin appeared that was released in theaters in the United States between January 1, 1988, and December 31, 1994.

3. Name any one of the 12 labors* of Herakles. *NOTE: All I am looking for here is the creature(s) or object(s) that was the subject of each labor; you don’t have to say what he had to do to/with each one. But, you need to be specific in your response. For example, if one of his labors was to kill a creature called the “pink dragon” then the response that you would need to give is “pink dragon.”

4. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains are considered to be the “Big 4” of the Seattle grunge bands who emerged during the 1980s and early 1990s. Name someone who is or was a member of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, or Alice in Chains.

5. The earth has fifteen tectonic plates that are considered “major” plates. Of those fifteen there are eight larger ones that are classified as “primary” plates and seven smaller ones that are considered “secondary” plates. Name* any one of Earth’s 15 major tectonic plates. *NOTE: Two of the primary plates in question are sometimes grouped together as one plate. Most of the sources I came across listed these two plates as being separate, so for the purpose of this question there are 8 primary plates and 15 total major plates.

6. Name someone who competed as a contestant in a Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions, the Ultimate Tournament of Champions, and/or the Battle of the Decades tournament who currently has their own Wikipedia page on them.

7. It is time for a little German philosopher appreciation. Identify* one of the 7 German philosophers who wrote one of the pairs of works that is listed below. *NOTE: You do NOT have to specify which option you are referring to with your response.

a) the 1927 book Being and Time, and the essay “The Question Concerning Technology”
b) the books Thus Spoke Zarathustra and Beyond Good and Evil
c) the 1781 work Critique of Pure Reason, and the 1797 work The Metaphysics of Morals
d) the 1807 book The Phenomenology of Spirit, and the 1820 book Elements of the Philosophy of Right
e) the 1962 book The Structural Transformation of the Public Sphere, and the 1981 work The Theory of Communicative Action
f) the 1951 book The Origins of Totalitarianism, and the 1958 book The Human Condition
g) the 1800 work The Vocation of Man, and the 1807-1808 lectures Addresses to the German Nation

8. Name someone who has been the Playboy Playmate of the Year.

9. The Hundred Years War lasted from 1337-1453. Name a battle that was fought as part of the Hundred Years War.

10. Name any one of the 9 characters from The Simpsons who is pictured* in one of the below spoiler boxes. *NOTE: Yes, you can partially see Moe’s face in one of the pictures, but Moe is not acceptable as a correct response. Don’t guess Moe.

a)
Spoiler
b)
Spoiler
c)
Spoiler
d)
Spoiler
e)
Spoiler
f)
Spoiler
g)
Spoiler
h)
Spoiler
i)
Spoiler

11. Since Art is awesome, why not have a “name the artist from the painting” question? Some cool paintings that were done by artists who were born on the European continent are pictured below. Name the artist who painted any one of the eight works that is pictured in one of the spoiler boxes below.

a)
Spoiler
b)
Spoiler
c)
Spoiler
d)
Spoiler
e)
Spoiler
f)
Spoiler
g)
Spoiler
h)
Spoiler

12. NBA Jam is an arcade video game that was released in 1993 and features 2-on-2 gameplay. The game was also released on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Genesis, Sega CD, Game Boy, and Game Gear. Identify* 1 of the now retired NBA players** who is a playable character in the original NBA Jam video game for any one of the six teams that is listed below***. *NOTE 1: You do NOT have to specify the team when you give your response. **NOTE 2: The players who appeared as characters varied some between consoles, so there may be more than two correct responses for each team. ***HINT: I am going to save you from the trap that is here and tell you that Michael Jordan is NOT a correct response; don’t guess MJ.

a) Chicago Bulls
b) Cleveland Cavaliers
c) Orlando Magic
d) Denver Nuggets
e) Los Angeles Clippers
f) Portland Trail Blazers

13. India has 29 states. Identify a city that serves as the administrative capital* of any one of India’s 29 states. *NOTE: There may be more than one correct answer for each state, and cities that serve as the capitals of the same state will be counted as separate correct responses.

14. There were five Russian composers who came together in the 1860s in an attempt to create a national school of Russian music, and they were known simply as “The Five.” There was also a group of six French composers who flourished in the early 20th century, and were compared to The Five because of their reaction against German Romantic music. Those six French composers were nicknamed Les Six. Name a composer who was a member of “The Five” or a composer who was a member of Les Six.

Tiebreaker 1: Name one of the five actors or actresses who played a high school student who spent a Saturday in detention in the 1985 movie The Breakfast Club.

Tiebreaker 2: Name one of the four U.S. states that is part of the Four Corners Monument.
Last edited by StevenH on Sun May 03, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Entrants
Caboom
MarkBarrett
Tpmorrison
gamawire
nightreign
Benkins
dnbguy
Rackme32
menoknight
immaf

RainbowJeremy
Woppy T
cmp146
BigDaddyMatty
Woof
econgator
dragonscale333
Peggles
tjconn728
Vermonter

Blue Lion
dott888
ElendilPickle
patkav
ouachiouat
Peachbox
Ryno
CheezeWhiz
RandyG
akrites

squizzle
Tigershark
waterloo_guy
Last edited by StevenH on Mon May 11, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 25 times in total.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Questions have been posted.
Caboom
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Caboom »

Last place locked up. Even with all the helps I still probably have a wrong or two in there somewhere.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Um.. Can you make those pictures smaller? They're not small enough to cause blindness yet. :)
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Rackme32 wrote:Um.. Can you make those pictures smaller? They're not small enough to cause blindness yet. :)
I have fixed the picture size issue. Sorry about that. If anyone who has already submitted was thrown off by the small pictures and wants to change their answers then they may do so at no penalty.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

StevenH wrote:
Rackme32 wrote:Um.. Can you make those pictures smaller? They're not small enough to cause blindness yet. :)
I have fixed the picture size issue. Sorry about that. If anyone who has already submitted was thrown off by the small pictures and wants to change their answers then they may do so at no penalty.
Awesome... Thanks!
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Bump. We're up to 13 entries.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Bump, with 18 entries and about 4 days to go.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

The return of the grunge wheelhouse!
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Bump. We are up to 26 entries, with a little over a day to go.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Bump. About 10 hours to go.
squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

Well, in a game where I only know 1 or 2 answers for each question I'm prepared to sheep every question! My only hope is everyone else knows the obscure answers and avoids the obvious ones ;)
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

One last bump. We're at 33 entries, with about 1 hour to go.
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

squizzle wrote:Well, in a game where I only know 1 or 2 answers for each question I'm prepared to sheep every question! My only hope is everyone else knows the obscure answers and avoids the obvious ones ;)
Nope, sorry, we're in the same boat. I can hear the baaas already.
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

1. Name a play that Henrik Ibsen wrote.

A Doll’s House--8
MarkBarrett
gamawire
Rackme32
BigDaddyMatty
econgator
dragonscale333
Vermonter
squizzle

Hedda Gabler--5
Woppy T
Woof
Peggles
ElendilPickle
Peachbox

The Master Builder--4
Tpmorrison
Benkins
Blue Lion
CheezeWhiz

An Enemy of the People--3
cmp146
akrites
Tigershark

Peer Gynt--2
patkav
waterloo_guy

SHEEP--2
RainbowJeremy
dott888

The Wild Duck--1
mennoknight

The Pillars of Society--1
immaf

DROP
Caboom
nightreign
dnbguy
tjconn728
ouachiouat
Ryno
RandyG
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

2. Remember when Macauly Culkin was a child star? Those were the days! NOT COUNTING SEQUELS, name a movie in which Macauly Culkin appeared that was released in theaters in the United States between January 1, 1988, and December 31, 1994.

Home Alone--8
Caboom
nightreign
Benkins
econgator
dragonscale333
Vermonter
dott888
squizzle

My Girl--6
gamawire
dnbguy
cmp146
Peggles
Peachbox
waterloo_guy

Richie Rich--4
tjconn728
ouachiouat
Ryno
akrites

The Good Son--3
MarkBarrett
Woppy T
patkav

Uncle Buck--3
mennoknight
BigDaddyMatty
Tigershark

The Pagemaster--1
CheezeWhiz

DROP
Tpmorrison
Rackme32
RainbowJeremy
Woof
Blue Lion
ElendilPickle
RandyG

INCORRECT--13
immaf (The Sixth Sense)

Correct Answers Not Given
Rocket Gibraltar
See You in the Morning
Jacob's Ladder
Only the Lonely
The Nutcracker
Getting Even with Dad
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

3. Name any one of the 12 labors* of Herakles. *NOTE: All I am looking for here is the creature(s) or object(s) that was the subject of each labor; you don’t have to say what he had to do to/with each one. But, you need to be specific in your response. For example, if one of his labors was to kill a creature called the “pink dragon” then the response that you would need to give is “pink dragon.”

Augean Stables--7
immaf
Peggles
Vermonter
ElendilPickle
akrites
squizzle
waterloo_guy

Nemean Lion--6
Benkins
mennoknight
econgator
Blue Lion
CheezeWhiz
Tigershark

SHEEP--5
Caboom
dnbguy
Woppy T
dott888
Peachbox

Cerberus--3
nightreign
patkav
ouachiouat

Girdle of Hippolyta--2
MarkBarrett
cmp146

Cretan Bull--2
Rackme32
RainbowJeremy

Golden Apples of the Hesperides--1
gamawire

Stymphalian Birds--1
Woof

Mares of Diomedes--1
dragonscale333

Hydra--1
Ryno

DROP
BigDaddyMatty

INCORRECT--12
Tpmorrison (Caledonian Boar)
tjconn728 (a sheep)
RandyG (Minotaur)

Correct Responses Not Given
Ceryneian Hind
Erymanthian Boar
Cattle of Geryon

Leader Board after Question 3
RainbowJeremy--4
Ryno--5
Woof--6
ouachiouat--7
patkav--8
Rackme32--10
menoknight--10
Blue Lion--10
nightreign--11
dnbguy--11
cmp146--11
BigDaddyMatty--11
CheezeWhiz--11
ElendilPickle--12
RandyG--12
Tigershark--12
Caboom--13
MarkBarrett--13
Woppy T--13
akrites--14
gamawire--15
dott888--15
waterloo_guy--15
Tpmorrison--16
tjconn728--16
Peachbox 16
dragonscale333--17
Benkins--18
Peggles--18
immaf--21
econgator--22
Vermonter--23
squizzle--23
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

4. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains are considered to be the “Big 4” of the Seattle grunge bands who emerged during the 1980s and early 1990s. Name someone who is or was a member of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, or Alice in Chains.

Kurt Cobain--7
Caboom
immaf
RainbowJeremy
dragonscale333
ouachiouat
squizzle
waterloo_guy

Eddie Vedder--6
gamawire
Benkins
cmp146