TD 243: 1970s Pop/Rock Music (Reveal underway)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

TD 243: 1970s Pop/Rock Music (Reveal underway)

Post by RandyG »

Welcome to TD 243!

My 1960s Music TD (148) from a couple of years ago surprisingly turned out to be quite popular, even among many of the younger JBoardies, so I figured on some day doing a 1970s music TD. Well, the wait is over. We all know that you can never -- cough, cough..... -- never get enough disco into your life. But the 1970s was so much more, musicwise, and this TD provides the evidence. (Though, of course, the 1970s still pale in comparison to the 1960s.)

With that..... the basic rules of TD 243:

1. Each of the 11 questions has several correct answers. Your goal is to supply the least popular correct answer to each question.
2. If your answer on a given question is correct, your score is the number of people (including yourself) who gave that same answer.
3. An incorrect answer is given the score of the most popular correct response, a.k.a. the "sheep", + 5
4. Scores are additive; lowest cumulative score wins.
5. You may DROP one question for a score of zero by answering with 'DROP'
6. You may WILD CARD one question by answering 'WC'. Wild Card is automatically a correct answer to every question. Your score will be the number of people (including yourself) who answered WC for that question.
7. PLEASE, DO NOT POST your answers in this thread nor post any comment that may give away answers. In case I need you to clarify something, do not check your answers until I've acknowledged that I received your submission.
8. Submissions will be due by 12:00PM (noon) PDT on Tuesday, May 19.
9. PM me If you need a clarification. If the issue seems relevant for the other players, I will post a reply on the thread.
10. Ties in the final scores will be broken based on order of entry.
11. Please, NO OUTSIDE RESEARCH, no books, Wikipedia, Googling or asking friends. You have a week to ponder the questions, but consult only your own gray matter.

Submit your responses using this Google form and also PM me your answer to Question 1.
I will send an acknowledgment in reply with a copy of your responses.

Things to take into account as you tackle the quiz:

1. The Billboard Hot 100 is the rankings chart referred to in some of the questions.
2. Breath easy: you do not have to know what records went to #1 on Billboard.
3. Consider song, single and record to all mean the same thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll have TD 243 on 1970s Pop/Rock Music posted later today. In the meantime, you still have a few hours to pop (or rock) over to enter StevenH's TD 242: http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2805

Also, in the meantime...... for 1 point off your final score to the first who answers in this thread, what made-up word is missing in the lyric below? Please, answer before you watch the video! (Exact spelling is not necessary.)

Some people call me the space cowboy.
Yeah! Some call me the gangster of love.
Some people call me Maurice,
'Cause I speak of the _____________ of love.
Last edited by RandyG on Thu May 21, 2015 12:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
RandyG

Re: TD 243: 1970s Pop/Rock Music

Post by RandyG »

CLOSED, with 57 participants. Order of entry is based on Google form submission.
Spoiler
Magna
Abraxas
Grambus
MarkBarrett
econgator
cbec
BigDaddyMatty
Gamawire
Woof
Akrites

barandall800
9021amyers
Peachbox
mennoknight
Steppenwolf
Rackme32
Woppy T
nklotz
dragonscale333
immaf

PowerofHoodoo
Category 13
Ryno
brainpower
Blue Lion
ouachiouat
This Is Kirk!
Paulsaysthought
BobF
HostWithTheMost

MitchO
Doc
Leander
patkav
Peggles
ElendilPickle
Alamble
clprez
JeopardyMom
Bamaman

jgamer
Lefty
jjwaymee
TheyCallMeMrKid
Linear Gnome
dott888
coolcah36
Vermonter
teapot37
billiej

squizzle
jeffwolfe
bpmod
georgespelvin
tjconn728
OrangeSAM
Holocene Hero
------------------------------
** Check your private messages.
Last edited by RandyG on Tue May 19, 2015 4:25 pm, edited 25 times in total.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Submit your answers via this GOOGLE FORM and also PM me with your answer to Question 1. I will send an acknowledgment in reply with a copy of your responses.
Don't forget to use your DROP and/or WILD CARD.

1. Name one of the groups or solo performers pictured below, all of which had multiple chart hits in the 1970s. Name only; associated letter is not required.
Spoiler

2. Carol Joan Klein, better known today as Carole King, graduated from James Madison High School in Brooklyn, New York in 1958, which I mention only because I graduated from Madison in 1972. Soon after graduation and still as a teenager, she didn’t take long to establish herself as one of the premier songwriters of the rock era, often partnering with her husband of many years, Gerry Goffin. It wasn’t until her 1971 breakthrough album, Tapestry, however, that she rose to superstar status as a singer-songwriter. To this date, Tapestry has remained one of the best selling albums of all time by a solo performer. Name:

(a) one of the 12 tracks from Carole King’s Tapestry album -or-
(b) one of the 8 solo performers or groups who had a Top 40 hit during the 1960s or 70s with a song that King recorded for her own album. (Many of the songs were written a decade or more before the album’s release.)

3. In the following pictures of actual 45 rpm records from the 1970s, one word or name is masked in each. Name a missing word or name. In a few cases, the same word or name is masked twice. Word/name only; associated letter is not required.
Spoiler
4. During the 1970s, 18 singles topped the Billboard Hot 100 charts for at least 5 weeks. In the following, you’re given the initials for both the song and performer for 15 of these #1 hits. You’re also given one complete word within the title and leading “The”s. Name one of these songs. Complete title only; associated letter is not required.

For example, given: B.O.T.Water / S&G (1970), your answer would be “Bridge Over Troubled Water”

(A) I.B.There / The.J.5 (1970)
(B) O.B.Apple / The.O. (1971)
(C) Joy.T.T.W. / T.D.N. (1971)
(D) M.May / R.S. (1971)
(E) The.F.T.E.I.S.Y.F. / R.F. (1972)
(F) A.Again.(N.) / G.O’S. (1972)
(G) Killing.M.S.W.H.S. / R.F. (1973)
(H) Silly.L.S. / W. (1976)
(I) Tonight’s.T.N.(G.B.A.) / R.S. (1976)
(J) Best.O.M.L. / The.E. (1977)
(K) Night.F. / B.G. (1978)
(L) S.Dancing / A.G. (1978)
(M) Le.F. / C. (1978)
(N) Bad.G. / D.S. (1979)
(O) My.S. / The.K. (1979)

5. One performer's name is missing in each of the following duos and trios that charted during the 1970s. Answer with one of the missing names as the group was best known. Name only; associated letter is not required.

(A) __________ & Oates
(B) __________ & Tennille
(C) Seals & __________
(D) __________ & Messina
(E) __________ & Whitehead
(F) Hamilton, Joe Frank & _____________
(G) Peaches & __________
(H) England Dan & ____________
(I) __________ & Tina Turner
(J) Brewer & ___________
(K) ___________ & Chong
(L) ___________ & Bonnie
(M) ___________ & Dawn

6. Each of the following lyrics is the start of a notable 1970s song. The song title appears in the lyric, but here it's been blanked out, in a few cases more than once. Name one of these songs. Title only; associated letter is not required.

(A) Hey, did you happen to see ________________ in the world, and if you did, was she crying, crying?
(B) Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near? Just like me, (They Long to Be) ______________
(C) ______________, hear me roar in numbers too big to ignore.
(D) Who draws the crowd and plays so loud? Baby, it's _______________. Who's gonna steal the show, you know? Baby, it's _______________.
(E) ______________ is travelling tonight on a plane, I can see the red tail lights heading for Spain.
(F) ______________, send your camel to bed. Shadows painting our faces, traces of romance in our heads
(G) _______________ have seen the years and the slow parade of fears without crying
(H) I feel so bad I got a worried mind, I'm so lonesome all the time since I left my baby behind on ______________
(I) ______________ is easy cause you're beautiful. Makin' love with you is all I wanna do.
(J) _________________. I've thought about us for a long, long time. Maybe I think too much but something's wrong
(K) Everybody was _________________, those kicks were fast as lightning. In fact, it was a little bit frightening, but they fought with expert timing.
(L) You know I ______________________, I _____________________, I can't laugh and I can't sing, I'm finding it hard to do anything

7. You knew there was going to be a disco question. In the following, match the hit -- yes, hit -- disco song (lettered column) from the 1970s with its corresponding disco performer (numbered column.) Answer in the form A5, J2, etc. Note that there is one more song listed than performers.

A. More, More, More....................... 1. Vicki Sue Robinson
B. Turn the Beat Around................... 2. Gloria Gaynor
C. Car Wash................................. 3. Alicia Bridges
D. I Will Survive............................. 4. Thelma Houston
E. Shame..................................... 5. KC and the Sunshine Band
F. Fly, Robin, Fly........................... 6. Anita Ward
G. Ring My Bell..............................7. Andrea True Connection
H. I Love The Nightlife..................... 8. Van McCoy
I. Funky Town............................... 9. Lipps, Inc
J. Don't Leave Me This Way................ 10. Village People
K. YMCA...................................... 11. Evelyn “Champagne” King
L. Keep It Coming Love.................... 12. Hues Corporation
M. The Hustle................................ 13. Rose Royce
N. Rock the Boat

8. The 1970s saw the emergence of album-oriented rock, in contrast to the virtual monopoly of singles-oriented Top 40 formats of the 1960s. Name the group or solo performer who released one of the following albums, in which names and titles have been masked. Group/performer only; associated letter is not required.
Spoiler
9. All of the following made a name for themselves in 1970s pop/rock music (and beyond) as the lead singer in a very successful group, and often as a solo performer as well. Name one of these groups. Group name only; associated letter is not required.

(A) Marilyn McCoo
(B) David Gates
(C) Ric Ocasek
(D) Freddie Mercury
(E) Teddy Pendergrass
(F) Peter Cetera
(G) Debbie Harry
(H) Burton Cummings
(I) John Fogerty
(J) Justin Hayward
(K) Michael McDonald
(L) Eric Carmen
(M) Donald Fagen
(N) Robert Plant
(O) Don Henley

10. In the following, match the “one-hit wonder”** song (lettered column) from the 1970s with its corresponding “one-hit wonder” performer (numbered column.) Answer in the form A5, J2, etc. Note that there is one more song listed than performers.

A. You Light Up My Life........................................ 1. Terry Jacks
B. Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)................... 2. Edison Lighthouse
C. Spirit In the Sky.............................................. 3. Elvin Bishop
D. In the Summertime.......................................... 4. Arlo Guthrie
E. The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia................ 5. David Soul
F. Seasons in the Sun............................................ 6. Norman Greenbaum
G. I Can Help.................................................... 7. Rick Dees and His Cast of Idiots
H. Put Your Hand in the Hand................................. 8. Mungo Jerry
I. Disco Duck..................................................... 9. Billy Swan
J. Don’t Give Up On Us......................................... 10. Debby Boone
K. Hot Child in the City........................................ 11. Shocking Blue
L. Venus.......................................................... 12. Nick Gilder
M. The City of New Orleans.................................... 13. VIcki Lawrence
N. Fooled Around and Fell in Love

** The definition of "one-hit wonder" differs from source to source, but take it to mean a group or solo performer who had one notable, often huge, hit, but barely made the charts, if at all, either before or after.

11. Simon & Garfunkel, one of the seminal groups of the mid-to-late 1960s, with 4 classic studio albums and 10 Top 40 hits, broke up officially in 1971. Subsequent to the break up, Paul Simon didn’t skip a beat in composing and recording his own songs as a solo performer. Name one of the 5 albums or 12 Top 40 Billboard singles released after the breakup through 1980, in which Simon's name appears “above the title”, i.e. credited either as a solo performer or alongside other performers.
Last edited by RandyG on Wed May 27, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Clarifications go here.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

pompitous!
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Dunno how it's spelled, but I'll take a flyer on pompatus.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

mennoknight wrote:pompitous!
We have a -1 point winner!!!

ETA: Re spelling.... from The Steve Miller Band's official website:

STEVE MILLER – BIOGRAPHY 2015

Call him the Gangster of Love. Call him Maurice. You can even call him the The Joker or Space Cowboy. Everybody knows that Steve Miller speaks the pompatus of love.
BobF

Post by BobF »

RandyG wrote:

Call him the Gangster of Love. Call him Maurice. You can even call him the The Joker or Space Cowboy. Everybody knows that Steve Miller speaks the pompatus of love.
I think Woof should get a -1 point for being the first with the correct spelling as well.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
akrites
Valued Contributor

Post by akrites »

Spoiler
pompatus
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

BobF wrote:
RandyG wrote:

I think Woof should get a -1 point for being the first with the correct spelling as well.
Sounds cromulent to me!
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

O-o-o-o-o-kay.... before I lose control of the game ere it even officially starts.

I can't change the rules once the question was posted and answered. Exact spelling was said to be not required. But I will give Woof an Honorable Mention for the first correct spelling!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: TD 243: 1970s Pop/Rock Music (Questions posted)

Post by Magna »

For question 4, you want just the songs - not the artist. Is that right?
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Magna wrote:For question 4, you want just the songs - not the artist. Is that right?
Correct.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

This is great!
dragonscale333
Contributor

Post by dragonscale333 »

Let's see how this guy who was born in '91 will fare in this quiz!

Not expecting the podium or anything, but those years of American Idol (RIP) have at last paid off for something!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

This could easily be the first TD where I know every answer to every question. Now to figure out what the best answers (least likely to sheep) will be.

It's probably harder than those where I know nothing.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
grambus
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by grambus »

Hi, new to the forum and just submitted my answers. It won't let me send a PM because I am new.
billiej

Post by billiej »

I may have to play this one. Just reading the questions brought back some great memories and put a lot of tunes in my head! :mrgreen:
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

dragonscale333 wrote:Let's see how this guy who was born in '91 will fare in this quiz!

Not expecting the podium or anything, but those years of American Idol (RIP) have at last paid off for something!
Someone younger than you finished in 6th place (out of 66) in the 1960s music quiz!
http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... 160#p29138

grambus wrote:Hi, new to the forum and just submitted my answers. It won't let me send a PM because I am new.
Welcome! You need to make 3 forum posts before you are allowed to PM. I did get your answers, though, via the Google form. When you can PM me, I'll reply back with your answers.
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

RandyG wrote:
Submit your responses using this Google form and also PM me your answer to Question 1.
How do I expect to do well on the questions when I can't even read the DIRECTIONS?!

I PM'd you first, Randy, but I have now resubmitted using the Google form - sorry!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca