Monday, June 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7081, 2015-06-01

Dan Feitel game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Victoria Machado, a library assistant from Burlingame, California
Randy Pike, an Army public affairs chief originally from Louisville, Kentucky
Dan Feitel, an attorney originally from Gillette, New Jersey (whose 4-day cash winnings total $99,999)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Dan Feitel, the returning champion. $1 shy of that $100,000 mark. Randy and Victoria, glad to have you with us. Good luck. Here we go. Now those categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FICTIONAL PLACES (5/5)
DON'T HOUND ME! (3/4)
THEY DIRECTED THEMSELVES (5/5)
THE LAW OF THE LAND (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"BREAK"-ING (5/5)
ENTERING (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 12 R, 1 W
Randy: 7 R, 1 W
Victoria: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Victoria found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Dan had $2,400, Randy had $1,600, and Victoria was at $1,000. Victoria made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

THE LAW OF THE LAND $1000: Tennessee bars holding office if you take part in these, though Tenn.'s Andrew Jackson took part in as many as 100
(Alex: Victoria, anything?)
(Victoria: No, sorry.)
(Alex: Oh, he took part in as many as a hundred [*].)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dan: $4,000
Randy: $2,200
Victoria: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Victoria Machado is a library assistant from California, and as a child, she learned a trick. She learned to do the alphabet backwards.

Victoria: Yes, I did.

Alex: A lot of kids did that, but you did it for a different reason.

Victoria: Yes, my--I was, um, my parents were watching a show, probably a cop show or a crime show of some kind. And there was a scene where a police officer had pulled somebody over to the side of the road and asked him if he could recite the alphabet backwards. And when he couldn't do it, they took him to jail. So as a kid, I thought, "Oh, my God. I better learn how to do the alphabet backwards, or I'm gonna go to jail."

[Laughter]

Victoria: Not realizing, of course, that I'd have to be drunk and--before I'd be asked that, to perform that skill, yeah.

Alex: [Chuckles] Okay, good for you. It worked, didn't it?

Victoria: Yes, it did.

Alex: Kept you out of jail.

Alex: Randy Pike, Army public affairs chief from Louisville, Kentucky. Uh, you discovered the difficulties or the problems you can encounter when dealing with famous people. In particular, you tried to touch...

Randy: Uh, the pope, Alex.

Alex: Where?

Randy: Uh, I was at, uh, Vatican City with my family. We went to midnight mass at the Vatican, which, by the way, is the craziest thing you've ever seen. Thousands of people, a tiny gate to prevent them from running up. And when they open that gate, it is madness.

Alex: Uh-huh.

Randy: There are priests shoving little kids down to the ground...

[Laughter]

Randy: ...people in wheelchairs going up stairs. It's crazy. Uh, we were able to get inside right on the aisle. He came over to some nuns that were in front of us. I reached out to just give him a little touch, and I got smacked away.

Alex: Got to watch out for guys like you.

[Laughter]

Alex: Dan Feitel is our champion. He has gotten into a new hobby, which sounds like a really good hobby to me and that is...

Dan: Uh, blind wine tasting. I've been, uh--my dad is, uh, an expert when it comes to blind wine tasting. He's been teaching me how to identify characteristics of a wine like the grape that it's made from, when it was made, and, uh, what country it was made in or what region, even. And so I've been--it's a pretty great hobby 'cause you get to drink and you get to learn, so...

Alex: Yeah, I got it backwards. I was tasting a lot of wine and got bli--well, we won't get into that.

[Laughter]

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ENTERING $1000: Shortly after entering Holland, this river divides into 3 branches: the Lek, the Waal & the Ijssel

DON'T HOUND ME! $400: The tallest of dogs, it was bred in Ireland to guard castles & hunt

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dan: $6,400
Randy: $3,600
Victoria: $3,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MOORE OR LES (3/5)
4-LETTER SCIENCE (3/5)
CANADIAN CITIES (0/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
CARTOONS (4/5)
HISTORIC MOTTOES & SLOGANS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
VOCABULARY (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Dan: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Victoria: 5 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Randy: 6 R, 5 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 10
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Victoria snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Dan had $6,400, Randy had $4,000, and Victoria was at $3,800. Victoria wagered $1,000.

HISTORIC MOTTOES & SLOGANS $1200: Huey Long adapted this slogan from a speech by William Jennings Bryan that goes on to say, "but no one wears a crown"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Randy who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. Dan had $14,000, Randy had $5,600, and Victoria was at $7,600. Randy wagered $5,400.

CANADIAN CITIES $1200: The swan is a symbol of this Ontario city; each year, white & black swans are released into the Avon River
(Randy: What is Edmonton?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
VOCABULARY $2000: From words meaning "shape" & "science", it's the study of word structure
(Randy: What is etymology?)
(Victoria: What is semantics?)

CARTOONS $1600: Award-winning cartoonist Michael Ramirez brings humor to IBD, this type of person's Business Daily

4-LETTER SCIENCE $1200: Force times distance gives you this, commonly expressed in joules

4-LETTER SCIENCE $2000: Specifically, it's any compound other than water formed by the reaction of an acid & a base

MOORE OR LES $1200: While 2 of his siblings' middle names were Fitzgerald & Francis, his middle name was Moore

MOORE OR LES $1600: He was Secretary of Defense under Bill Clinton in 1993 & 1994

CANADIAN CITIES $1600: An intersection in this provincial capital is the original western terminus of the Trans-Canada Highway
(Alex: Less than a minute to go.)

CANADIAN CITIES $2000: This Alberta resort was the first municipality to be incorporated within a Canadian national park
(Randy: What is Whistler?)

CANADIAN CITIES $400: In 1992, this city's velodrome, once used in the Olympic Games, was transformed into an environmental biodome

CANADIAN CITIES $800: Residents of this Saskatchewan city are called Moose Javians
(Randy: What is Winnipeg?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dan: $14,000
Victoria: $7,600
Randy: -$2,600

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: [To Randy] All right, you got yourself into trouble in Double Jeopardy! And that's unfortunate for you. You won't be around to play in Final Jeopardy! You'll wind up winning $1,000. Victoria, you're in it against Dan. It's not a runaway. And here is the category for the two of you--SPORTS RULES. When we come back, the clue, of course.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
SPORTS RULES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Dan: Wager $1,201 to cover Victoria.
Victoria: You have the hope of surpassing Dan if you come up with the correct response. Bet all $7,600.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The Syracuse owner created this in 1954 & it may have helped his team succeed the Lakers as champs the next year

FINAL SCORES
Victoria: $7,600 - $0 = $7,600 (What is) (2nd place)
Dan: $14,000 + $13,999 = $27,999 (What is the 24-second shot clock?) (100000-day champion: $27,999)
(Alex: Victoria, unless you're a big basketball--ball fan, this might've been really tough for ya. Let's see, were you able to come up with anything?)
(Victoria: Nothing.)
(Alex: Nothing, so it'll cost you how much?)
(Victoria: Nothing.)
(Alex: Nothing. You remain at $7,600.)
(Victoria: I was consistent.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dan: $14,000, 20 R, 1 W
Victoria: $8,800, 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Randy: $2,800, 13 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $25,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Dan: 21/58 = .362
Randy: 13/59 = .220
Victoria: 12/60 = .200
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THEY DIRECTED THEMSELVES $600: "Much Ado About Nothing"
(1993)
--that's him in the photo

ENTERING $400: To enter the "Old City" section of this metropolis, use one of 7 entrances, like the Jaffa Gate built in 1538
(Randy: What is Rome?)
(Dan: What is Istanbul?)

ENTERING $800: It's not necessary to subscribe to a magazine to enter this at pch.com
(Alex: With a minute to go, you're right.)

DON'T HOUND ME! $600: It's also known as a Baluchi hound or Kabul hound
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

HISTORIC MOTTOES & SLOGANS $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew presents from Kibbutz Ami'ad in Israel.) The original vision of kibbutz life focused on the collective good & the motto was, "From each according to his ability, to each according to" these

VOCABULARY $1200: Six-letter term for colorful weathering found on ancient metal

CARTOONS $2000: NPR Paris reporter Eleanor Beardsley learned French as a child reading about this cartoon Gaul
(Randy: Who is Madeline?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
duels
the Rhine
the Irish wolfhound
"Every man a king"
Stratford
morphology
an investor
work
salt
Edward Kennedy
Les Aspin
Victoria, British Columbia
Banff
Montreal
Moose Jaw
the 24-second shot clock
Kenneth Branagh
Jerusalem
Publishers Clearing House
an Afghan hound
his needs (his need accepted)
patina
Asterix
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Sports Rules
The Syracuse owner created this in 1954 & it may have helped his team succeed the Lakers as champs the next year.

Spoiler
What is the 24-second shot clock? Victoria had no guess.

Dan Feitel: $14,000+$13,999=$27,999...now a 5-day champion with $127,998
Victoria Machado: $7,600-$0=$7,600
Randy Pike: (-$2,600)
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I have a feeling our Canadian board members are experiencing aneurysms right now. The players blew all five of the Canadian cities clues. Two -- Victoria & Montreal -- were stand & stares. For the other three, not only did Randy commit suicide, but he had the province wrong for each of his wild guesses. Randy really thinks Edmonton is in Ontario? Whistler is in Alberta? Winnipeg is in Saskatchewan? Maybe this explains why the category was only taken up when the rest of the board was gone.

Well, I got each of those right, and I also got the TSs Ted Kennedy and Les Aspin.

And our wagermeister board members must be having aneurysms from Dan's FJ bet. He gets to die another day.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Canadian cities: Holy shit! I must admit I was fooled by Victoria though. You can't drive to the island, how can the highway make it there???

Is it me or was this FJ hard to get at? I said the NBA draft, but it didn't seem right because it's not a rule. Don't know how you could pick the shot clock over the three-point shot or anything else.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

grindcore wrote: Don't know how you could pick the shot clock over the three-point shot or anything else.
By knowing that the three-point shot was introduced in the late 1970s.

I considered the "three second" lane violation, which actually makes more sense given the clue, but couldn't imagine they would ask for something that obscure. The goaltending rule also makes more sense than the shot clock, based on the clue.

Don't get me started on the Canada thing...
Brian Weikle
Season 19
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

The clue asked for "these" and she says "need". How was that not reversed?

Talked myself out of the correct response. Had shot-clock and then changed it to 3-point line.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

The Canadians are going to have a field day. Christ. OK, you blanked on Banff, it happens, but, Edmonton, Ontario!? Winnipeg, Saskatchewan??? Not even a guess at Victoria? Actually, did ANYONE get any of those questions right, or was it a full TS category? (My only miss was seeing "Olympic City" and almost reflexively blurting out Calgary. Oops.)

Instaget FJ. I was shocked that they would ask about that in a FJ, but as I've said before, I'm not very good at gauging how well-known sports trivia is to non-sports fans.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Coelacanth wrote:
grindcore wrote: Don't know how you could pick the shot clock over the three-point shot or anything else.
By knowing that the three-point shot was introduced in the late 1970s.

I considered the "three second" lane violation, which actually makes more sense given the clue, but couldn't imagine they would ask for something that obscure. The goaltending rule also makes more sense than the shot clock, based on the clue.

Don't get me started on the Canada thing...
I thought the reference to the Lakers was intended to point to George Mikan, who was their dominant big man of that era, so I went with 3 second rule, although I waffled with the shot clock. I was worried that the lane violation was too obscure but went with it anyway.

That Canada category was embarassing to watch, but I did get all of them except the Victoria one.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations, Dan, as another all-but-a-dollar FJ wager pays off. I had 37 correct responses including five triple stumpers: Rhine, morphology, investor, work, and Banff. I also got the missed DD of duels. I got FJ, but it took me about 15 seconds. I initially thought it could be the 3-point shot, but then I thought that 1954 was too early for that.
brick

Post by brick »

Nailed FJ by virtue of not being able to think of anything else that made sense. Coryat $15200. Meh.
Khaleesi1287
Contributor

Post by Khaleesi1287 »

My friends are apopleptic over the four-letter science clue that asked for something measured in Joules. The show's answer was "work" but would "mass" have been accepted due to the principle of mass-energy equivalence?
Last edited by Khaleesi1287 on Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HostWithTheMost
Valued Contributor

Post by HostWithTheMost »

Regarding FJ, boo on anyone who thought 3-point shot, since that was an ABA innovation.

As a basketball fool, this was a great clue to gauge how vested you are in following basketball, since the 24-second shot clock history has come up frequently in the last 6-8 months as the college game has searched for a better alternative to its shot-clock issues and stagnant offenses that have significantly reduced interest in that game.

What's said has been said on Canadian Cities (I got 3/5), but knowing very little about Shakespeare, that DD question was impossible. (I guessed Ottawa). Kudos to Randy for essentially betting the max and going for first.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Judges: Would "shot clock" be okay without the 24-second?
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Now it can be told that once again, the Hometown Howdies had Dan scheduled to play on a day other than MOnday, in this case TUesday,. THis time they were correct, last week they weren't correct when they gave the day the returning champion would appear.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

ACW wrote:Judges: Would "shot clock" be okay without the 24-second?
Yes, definitely.
KazooJ!fan
Valued Contributor

Post by KazooJ!fan »

That was a tough final for a non-basketball fan. I guessed 3 point rule.

I got some triple stumpers (Ted Kennedy, Les Aspin to name 2). It helps to be a news junkie.

I think we will see Dan in the ToC.
legendneverdies

And Victoria was given a chance to win on a double stumper in a game that was not a runaway or even a 2/3 game. Anyone get the HUey Long Every Man a King DD from the Randy Newman song on the 1974 album Good Old Boys?
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

xxaaaxx wrote:The Canadians are going to have a field day. Christ. OK, you blanked on Banff, it happens, but, Edmonton, Ontario!? Winnipeg, Saskatchewan??? Not even a guess at Victoria? Actually, did ANYONE get any of those questions right, or was it a full TS category? (My only miss was seeing "Olympic City" and almost reflexively blurting out Calgary. Oops.)

Instaget FJ. I was shocked that they would ask about that in a FJ, but as I've said before, I'm not very good at gauging how well-known sports trivia is to non-sports fans.
I was apoplectic over no one buzzing in for the $400 clue in Canadian cities, but it makes a little more sense after the challenger's blank in FJ. The question was a layup (from the three that have hosted the Olympics, Vancouver was after 1992, and Calgary was in the winter), but if sports isn't her strong suit and an $800 swing on the clue will lock her out, then it's best to stay clam.
legendneverdies

Khaleesi1287 wrote:My friends are apopleptic over the four-letter science clue that asked for something measured in Joules. The show's answer was "work" but would "mass" have been accepted due to the principle of mass-energy equivalence?
From very basic physics equation, I think the Force times Distance thing wouldn't be satisfied with Mass.