TD - 248: Guess the Theme (Reveal)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ryno
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD - 248: Guess the Theme (Reveal)

Post by Ryno »

Welcome to TD ¬ 248: Guess the Theme

This TD’s theme is on themes themselves. There are 10 questions. In each question you will select among a variety of options (e.g. A, B, C…) and select one answer. Each question will have a theme based on a common attribute shared by all of the possible answers. So pay attention to all of the options provided. Along with your basic answer you will also guess the common theme for each question.

Base Scoring
Give correct answers that match as few of the other players as possible. The higher your score the better. On each question you may score:

5 points = Singleton! (one player with a particular correct answer)
3 points = Doubleton (two players with the same correct answer)
2 points = Correct answer that is not a Singleton, Doubleton or SHEEP.
0 points = Incorrect answers, or SHEEP (most common correct answer)

Guess the Theme
For each question, guess the theme. If you get the theme correct your score will be Doubled! :D
For example if you get a Singleton! Then get the theme correct you will score 10 points (5 x 2 = 10). Unfortunately, if you get the question incorrect or “sheep out” getting the theme right won’t help you (0 x 2 = 0). :cry: So you can see that guessing the theme is a big part of the game. A perfect score for the game is 100 points (10 singletons plus getting all of the themes right).

• There are no drops, so answer all questions and guess the themes.
• Minor spelling or title discrepancies are OK, I’ll be somewhat flexible.
• Tie-breaker will be based on order of entry.
• No external help (e.g. Google, Wikipedia).

Submit your responses to me by PM. Do not post your answers on this message thread.
Due by Monday June, 22 at Noon EST.

Here are your questions:

Question #1 – Pool Players and Snake Haters
Answer one of the options below. I need just one. Just the answer is fine, you do not need to write the letter with your response. That goes for questions #2 through #10 as well.

A – This man served as the first President of the United States.
B – When Miley Cyrus wore a blonde wig she turned into this alter ego.
C – In the TV series “Happy Days,” this character challenged Fonzie to jump the shark.
D – This legendary pool player adopted his nickname after the movie, he claimed that was based on his life, was released.
E – The plays “The Rose Tattoo” and “The Night of the Iguana” were created by this playwright.
F - This actress was nominated for an Academy Award for her role in the film “Sideways.”
G – This character was the family matriarch on the TV series “Good Times.”
H – Phil Ehart, Rich Williams, Billy Greer and David Ragsdale are collectively known by this name.
I – This daughter of the composer’s friend served as the inspiration for a 1920s jazz standard. (Must fit the theme)
J – This film character hated snakes. (Must fit the theme)
K – This is the only individual mentioned in questions #2 through #10 whose name fits the theme of this question.

Guess the Theme: OK, what is the common theme for all of the options above?

Question #2 – Don King and “Hair”
Answer one of the options below.

A – This comedian and actor did impressions of Don King, O.J. Simpson and Ray Charles during his 8 seasons on MADtv.
B – This car model first introduced by the Ford Motor Company in 1986 is currently in its sixth generation.
C – This NASA human spaceflight program resulted in 10 low earth orbit missions between 1965 and 1966.
D – This group of diseases involving abnormal cell growth is also known as a malignant neoplasm.
E – This baseball manager is often attributed with the quote “nice guys finish last.”
F – This British heavy metal band has a mascot known as “Eddie.”
G – This was the 1967 debut album of jazz saxophonist Gary Bartz.
H – This villainous character tried to kill Homer Simpson with a laser in the classic Simpsons episode “You Only Move Twice.”
I – This current adult animated TV series on the FX network is set at ISIS, the International Secret Intelligence Service.
J – This song is the opening number for the Broadway musical “Hair.”

Guess the Theme: What is the common theme for all of the options above?

Question #3 – Sherlock and Voldemort

A – This Nobel Prize winning molecular biologist from Weston Favell, England, was known for his use of the term “central dogma.”
B – This British actor plays Sherlock Holmes on the BBC series "Sherlock."
C – This naval hero commanded the Bonhomme Richard during the Revolutionary War.
D – Until last year, this indie folk musician was part of a Grammy winning duo with Joy Williams.
E – This Beatle was married to Linda Eastman.
F – This Beatle was married to Yoko Ono.
G – This character was appointed by Lord Voldemort as his puppet minister in the novel “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.”
H – This German professional poker player won the 2011 World Series of Poker Main Event.
I – This female anthropologist’s most well-known work is “Patterns of Culture” (1934).
J – This man is the only former New York Yankees player to have served in Congress.
K – Encore: This baseball manager is often attributed with the quote “nice guys finish last.”

Question #4 – Mullets and Korean Boybands

A – This mullet wearing country music band scored big hits in the early 1990s with “Trashy Women” and “Daddy Wasn’t the Cadillac Kind.”
B – In the music video for this song, David Lee Roth orders a doughnut at a convenience store while dressed like a headhunter.
C – This is the name of the backup band for Allison Krauss.
D – This Phil Spector produced song was a #1 hit for the Crystals in 1962.
E – This band featuring Ted Nugent scored a major hit in the 1990s with “High Enough.”
F – This song by the Brandos includes the lyrics, “of seeing 50,000 die, I saw the sun fall away, the moon shone white on their graves.”
G – This Billy Idol song includes the lyrics, “In the midnight hour, she cried more, more, more!”
H – This was the name of the backup band for Gary Puckett.
I – This is the name of the indie folk music duo referenced in Question #3, Option D.
J – This Virginia city is the hometown of versatile musician Keller Williams and Eli Kim of the Korean boyband U-KISS.

Guess the Theme: What is the common theme for all of the options above? (Hint: It has nothing to do with music)

Question #5 – Football and More Football

A - This is the color other than black that appears on the helmets of the Oakland Raiders.
B – This was the nickname for running back Craig Heyward.
C – During and episode of “NFL Gameday Morning” the on-air crew, including Joe Theisman, Warren Sapp and Deion Sanders, inhaled from balloons filled with this substance.
D – This official collection of NFL apparel for football fans features only the colors white and grey for all 32 teams.
E – Also the name of a Canadian rock band, this football playing position is ascribed to the fifth defensive back when utilized.
F – According to recent reports football players who are suffering from head trauma have received treatments from high pressure hyperbaric cylinders filled with this substance.
G – This is the color other than black that appears on the helmets of the New Orleans Saints.
H – This wide receiver who played for 4 teams over 9 seasons in the NFL is an alumnus of East Carolina University.
I – This is the nickname for Deion Sanders that fits the theme. (Hint: it’s not “Primetime”)
J – The Popcorn Factory® sells this type of popcorn containers online which features the logos and colors of all 32 NFL teams.
K – This running back who played on the undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins team would later be convicted for cocaine trafficking.

Guess the Theme: What is the common theme for all of the options above? (Hint: It has nothing to do with football)

Question #6 – Plastic Tricycles and Odd Jobs

A – These low riding plastic tricycles were first introduced by Louis Marx and Company in 1969.
B – This crime drama TV series featured Benjamin McKenzie and Regina King as LAPD officers.
C – The Catechism of the Catholic Church defines this term as “an offense against reason, truth and right (_____); it is failure in genuine love for God…”
D – Jimmy Fallon impersonated this singer/songwriter during his “Whip My Hair” duet with Bruce Springsteen.
E – This 1978 film scored acting Oscars for Jon Voight and Jane Fonda.
F – This city is the second most populous city in Great Britain.
G – This man finished third (electoral and popular vote) in the 1968 U.S. Presidential race.
H – This building complex is nestled between the Kennedy Center and Georgetown. (Must fit the theme)
I – This is the word left intentionally blank in Option C.
J – This city was the birthplace of the answer to Question #3, Option D.
K – This term is occupational slang used to refer to a workers who perform odd jobs. (Must fit the theme)

Question #7 – Environmental Themed Movies and Nautical Terms

A – This 1997 Steven Seagal movie is about an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) agent who investigates a Kentucky mine and helps locals stand up for their rights.
B – This nautical term is used to describe the type of cruise in which the performance of a new or repaired vessel is tested.
C – This city is the capital of Nepal.
D – This popular idiom is defined by the Free Dictionary as, “to stop thinking about or dealing with something.”
E - This little seen 2013 independent film starring Jesse Eisenberg and Dakota Fanning is about environmental terrorists who plot to blow up a dam.
F – The nautical maneuver known as “tacking” occurs when a sailing vessel turns its bow “____ ____ ____ .“ (Fill in the blanks, must fit the theme).
G – This restaurant located at the Mall of America and in downtown Minneapolis, serves North American food with a mix of the Mediterranean.
H – The time periods between sunset and sunrise on the corner of Santa Monica Boulevard and Vine Street could be called this. (Must fit the theme)
I - Question #9, Option F could be described as "____ _____ ______ __ _____ ." (Fill in the blanks, must fit the theme)

Question #8 – Cartoon Hairstyles and Supermodels

A – This character found on the Cartoon Network sports a high blonde pompadour hairstyle.
B – The music video for this Guns N’ Roses song cost $1 million dollars to produce and featured supermodel Stephanie Seymour.
C – This is the name given to a Neolithic skeleton of a three year old child found near the ancient stone circle of Avebury.
D – This actress who starred on the TV series “Designing Women” is married to Gerald McRaney.
E – This class of Soviet submarines patrolled the waters off of Cuba during the 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis.
F – Victor Dubuisson, Anirban Lahiri and Charley Hoffman are known for playing this sport.
G – Besides France and the USA, this other country is represented by one of the individuals mentioned in Option F.
H – This is the only member of the Smurfs who sports facial hair.
I – This Brazilian supermodel is not married to Tom Brady and has a name that fits this theme.
J – This Canadian province is the home to fashion models Kim Cloutier, Irina Lazareanu and Vanessa Perron.

Question #9 – Catholic Stuff and Hippies

A – Other than Lawrence, these are the other two names that begin with the letter “L” that are mentioned in the Roman Canon said during the Catholic Mass. (Need both of them)
B – This was the site of the second ever gig performed by Crosby, Stills and Nash.
C – This chocolate confection manufactured by the Hershey Company is controversial for its replacement of coca butter with polyglycerol polyricinoleate. (Must fit the theme)
D – This was the name of the second Pope in history.
E – This was the nickname of Grateful Dead founding member Ron McKernan.
F – This song poses the question, “Who calls the English teacher daddy-o?”
G – This is the common name given to several hundred pieces of bone that was discovered in the Awash Valley (Ethiopia) in 1974.
H – This private mint, named after a historical figure, currently sells a “Vatican crèche” online for $495.
I – This novelty song by the 1960s band the Royal Guardsmen references World War I.

Question #10 – Women’s Jeans and Newtonian Physics

A – This 2002 comedy-drama film starring Jennifer Aniston and Jake Gyllenhaal is about workers at a big box store.
B – This is the moniker of the TV character Thelma Harper played by Vicki Lawrence.
C – This figure is attributed with the verse “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things.”
D – This landmass derived its name, earliest recorded date in 1507, from a Florentine explorer.
E – This man played the leading male roles in the Mother Dolores Hart films “Loving You” and “King Creole.”
F – Appaloosas, Clydesdales and Lipizzaners are breeds of these animals.
G – This style of women’s jeans is a modified version of their male garment counterpart.
H – This Los Angeles neighborhood located in the San Fernando Valley is named after a fragrant herbaceous plant.
I – This is the name of the record company founded by Sean “Diddy” Combs.
J – In Newtonian physics, a body in motion where its weight is the only force acting upon it can be said to be doing this. (Must fit the theme).

Last edited by Ryno on Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm, edited 9 times in total.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Ryno

Re: TD - 248: Guess the Theme

Post by Ryno »

This post is reserved for clarifications.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

List of players entered: 45
Spoiler
1. mennoknight
2. MarkBarrett
3. 9021amyers
4. nklotz
5. ElendiPickle
6. Rackme32
7. gamawire
8. MitchO
9. Tpmorrison
10. Magna
11. Category 13
12. Lars
13. Abraxas
14. immaf
15. Woof
16. clprez
17. Lampy
18. brick
19. Blue Lion
20. Woppy T
21. DHicton
22. mahatma
23. dnbguy
24. brainpower
25. squizzle
26. patkav
27. dott888
28. geolawyerman
29. Diceland
30. jgamer
31. sillymonkey
32. nightreign
33. coolcah36
34. akrites
35. econgator
36. Bamaman
37. TheyCallMeMrKid
38. OrangeSAM
39. BigDaddyMatty
40. Peggles
41. Peachbox
42. barandall800
43. jjwaymee
44. tjconn728
45. goforthetie
Last edited by Ryno on Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 18 times in total.
BobF

Post by BobF »

I believe the overall theme is questions I can't come up with an answer to.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BobF wrote:I believe the overall theme is questions I can't come up with an answer to.
Ah come on, some of the themes can be guessed by only knowing one answer. This was a fun exercise for a Monday morning.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

BobF wrote:I believe the overall theme is questions I can't come up with an answer to.
For the most part, I agree with this, but would amend the theme to read 'The same theme as most other TDs.'
BobF

Post by BobF »

MarkBarrett wrote: Ah come on, some of the themes can be guessed by only knowing one answer. This was a fun exercise for a Monday morning.
Yes. I was being a wise-ass. I was born in New Jersey, it comes naturally.
mahatma wrote: For the most part, I agree with this, but would amend the theme to read 'The same theme as most other TDs.'
Haha, good one.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Oh, nuts, I was so close to getting the theme of question 7!

It's easy to come up with any correct answer, but coming up with enough correct answers to find a theme is really tricky for some of these questions. Others, not so much.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

9021amyers wrote:Oh, nuts, I was so close to getting the theme of question 7!

It's easy to come up with any correct answer, but coming up with enough correct answers to find a theme is really tricky for some of these questions. Others, not so much.
Q7's theme I got with two answers, but I had to change my response on a third to make it fit.

I'll let this tumble through my head for a couple of days and maybe I'll jump in.
OCSam
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

tl;dr
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

My brain hurts. I can't decide if it's in a good way or not yet. How is it I have 7 answers for one of these and can't come up with the theme?! :oops:

EDIT: OMG, as I hit Submit, I looked back at the list and saw it! Yay .. now I need like 6 more themes, lol ...
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

MitchO wrote:My brain hurts. I can't decide if it's in a good way or not yet. How is it I have 7 answers for one of these and can't come up with the theme?! :oops:

EDIT: OMG, as I hit Submit, I looked back at the list and saw it! Yay .. now I need like 6 more themes, lol ...
I was caught up on three themes. Without giving away too much: I was completely lost on one set of clues, and took a wild guess that isn't far off; I gave a theme for another that is going to be a judgment call by the quizmaster; and I figured out all of the clues on the third with no guess on the theme, only to feel stupid after submitting for not seeing how obvious it was.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

9021amyers wrote:
MitchO wrote:My brain hurts. I can't decide if it's in a good way or not yet. How is it I have 7 answers for one of these and can't come up with the theme?! :oops:

I was caught up on three themes. Without giving away too much: I was completely lost on one set of clues, and took a wild guess that isn't far off; I gave a theme for another that is going to be a judgment call by the quizmaster; and I figured out all of the clues on the third with no guess on the theme, only to feel stupid after submitting for not seeing how obvious it was.
The third is the one I woke up and realized after the initial post. It was one of those things where looking away at the list, and then back after a minute, made my eye focus on a different combination of words.

I actually believe I have 9 of the 10 themes, which I'm quite proud of myself for at the moment ... a few of them I've been reverse engineering by seeing one or two answers and then seeing if a theme fills in any others. #7, for example, I only had one answer ... and then thought of everything random about that one answer and retroactively realized I could fill in two others with that theme.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

pretty sure I got 9, and the one I couldn't get I had 5-6 answers for...and was still stumped.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Here's an early progress report. I was very curious to see how things will shake out. My goal for this TD is to hit the Goldilocks Zone where it is not too easy nor too tough.

So far, players have averaged 7.42 out of 10 for getting the themes. Certainly some are easier than others. That said, at least one player has guessed each one of the themes correctly, but no player has yet to go 10 for 10.

There is an early SHEEP answer that I did not expect, because the answer was not something I had heard about before researching this quiz.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Ryno wrote:So far, players have averaged 7.42 out of 10 for getting the themes.
Don't worry. I'll drag that WAY down.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Should Gene Puckett be Gary Puckett?
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

I have two questions with multiple answers, but I still can't figure out the theme.
econgator wrote:Should Gene Puckett be Gary Puckett?
I wondered about that too.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

OK I'm far from one of the best TD players around here, but I'm feeling ... pretty good that I have all the categories now. 2 of them, I'm trying to decide if I am being too wide or too tight with my net, so to speak, but I really think I lucked out with some of the themes. I got 2 questions by only knowing one answer for sure, and then retro-fitting some possible answers around a theme thought. I had a nice, quiet afternoon and I really sat and focused on these clues.

At this point, I'm trying to decide my sheep avoidance choices more than anything else.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

econgator wrote:Should Gene Puckett be Gary Puckett?
Yes, you are right. I fixed it.