Tuesday, June 16, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, June 16, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7092, 2015-06-16

CONTESTANTS
Batya Diamond, a teacher and songwriter from Wilton, Connecticut
Raf Noboa y Rivera, a sportswriter from Astoria, New York
Brennan Bushee, an operations analyst from Malden, Massachusetts (whose 1-day cash winnings total $27,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. You're very kind. I have a wish that the three players on today's program perform as well as the three who competed yesterday. They were performing at, oh, tournament levels, especially Brennan, who led throughout and wound up winning big, so, Raf and Batya, welcome aboard and good luck. Here we go. Let's take a look at the categories, shall we? Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT WOMEN IN FILM WANT (5/5)
CONSTELLATIONS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE COUNTRY'S MAJOR RELIGION (5/5)
ENDS IN "O" (5/5)
FOOD STUFF (4/5)
A LITTLE DAD'LL DO YA (4/5) (Alex: And because of Father's Day, which is coming up...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Raf: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Brennan: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Batya: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Raf found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Brennan had $1,800, Raf had $1,600, and Batya was at $2,400. Raf wagered $600.

CONSTELLATIONS $600: This constellation's second-brightest star, Shaula, is also known as "the Stinger"

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Raf: $3,200
Batya: $2,400
Brennan: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Batya Diamond is no stranger to television. In fact, her husband proposed to her on network television?

Batya: Yes, he was working for NBC sports, producing a baseball game. We were actually in two different cities, and it happened in Wrigley Field, where he had the production crew put "Will you marry me?" on the scoreboard, and then Vin Scully and Joe Garagiola actually asked me the question.

Alex: Wow.

[Laughs]

Alex: That was exciting stuff.

Batya: It was--I happened to be watching. It was fortuitous.

Alex: That's even more exciting. All right.

Batya: [Chuckles] Thanks.

Alex: Raf Noboa y Rivera from Astoria, New York, is a sportswriter...

Raf: I am.

Alex: So there's a connection there--who once had his ear nuzzled by an animal that has no connection with sports at all.

Raf: No, it was a koala, Alex.

Alex: Yeah.

Raf: So I was in the army at the time, and I took advantage of a vacation package to go to Australia, and I'm at one of the nature preserves, and... they say, "Hey, do you wanna hold a koala?" And I figure, well, this is a very snuggly little mammal. It turns out they're not very little at all. They're actually fairly large-sized. So I'm holding the koala, and, you know, we're hugging each other and that sort of thing, and all of a sudden, the koala starts waking up, 'cause they spend most of their time sleeping. And he starts nuzzling my ear and tonguing it.

Alex: Yeah.

[Laughter]

Alex: He--he thought your ear was made of eucalyptus.

Raf: He must have.

Alex: And he was ready to take a little off.

Raf: He was.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Our champion, Brennan Bushee, is from Malden, Massachusetts, and you majored in what subjects at college?

Brennan: Um, math and computer science.

Alex: And then you went into jazz piano.

Brennan: Yes, I, um, I had the fulfill the arts requirement, so I took one class in it. Um...

Alex: Were you any good?

Brennan: What I didn't--what I didn't know was that everyone else in the room was a music major.

Alex: Aha.

Brennan: Um, I did terrible the first times I had to, you know, perform in front of the class, but I eventually passed the class.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
A LITTLE DAD'LL DO YA $800: A Florence, Alabama music festival honors this "Father of the Blues" who was born here in 1873

FOOD STUFF $400: Thin pieces of dough are called these Chinese dumpling skins, but they can be used to make egg rolls & pot stickers
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

CONSTELLATIONS $1000: The largest constellation, this "water serpent" covers 1,303 square degrees of the sky

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Batya: $5,000
Raf: $5,000
Brennan: $4,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, June 16, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BRITISH HISTORY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PLANTS (3/5)
BROADWAY MUSICALS BY SONGS (5/5)
WORLD LIT (5/5)
DOUBLE DOUBLE LETTERS (4/5)
"THE" LAND IS THE LAND (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brennan: 12 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Raf: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Batya: 4 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Raf snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Brennan had $8,400, Raf had $9,400, and Batya was at $5,400. Raf wagered $2,000.

BRITISH HISTORY $1600: Capturing Jamaica in 1655 allowed the English to replace the beer on ships with this, which didn't go bad

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Brennan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 16th clue. Brennan had $11,600, Raf had $12,200, and Batya was at $5,400. Brennan wagered $5,000.

"THE" LAND IS THE LAND $1200: Reflecting its precious resources, it was the colonial name for what is now Ghana

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PLANTS $1600: No, that's not a field of snakes--it's these lilies that resemble striking snakes
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Raf.)

DOUBLE DOUBLE LETTERS $2000: A Debbie Downer for the 21st century

PLANTS $2000: Sisal hemp & the century plant are members of this Southwestern U.S. plant genus

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Brennan: $21,800
Raf: $15,000
Batya: $5,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
QUOTABLE PAINTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Brennan: Wager $8,201 to cover Raf, but no more than $10,199 so as not to fall behind Batya's doubled score.
Raf: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,400 (martian), and you'll win the game if Brennan wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Batya: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
"A reviewer... wrote that my pictures didn't have any beginning or any end. He didn't mean it as a a compliment, but it was"

FINAL SCORES
Batya: $5,800 - $2,400 = $3,400 (Who is Dali?) (3rd place)
Raf: $15,000 + $7,500 = $22,500 (Who is Picasso? Pollock) (2nd place)
Brennan: $21,800 + $8,201 = $30,001 (Who is Jackson Pollock?) (27202-day champion: $30,001)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Brennan: $18,000, 20 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Raf: $14,600, 21 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Batya: $5,800, 13 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $38,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Raf: 22/60 = .367
Brennan: 21/59 = .356
Batya: 13/58 = .224
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
WHAT WOMEN IN FILM WANT $200: In "Grand Hotel", Greta Garbo had this 5-word desire, No. 30 on AFI's list of top 100 movie quotes
(Raf: What is alone?)

WHAT WOMEN IN FILM WANT $400: In this '50s film, Natalie Wood tells James Dean that a girl wants a man who is gentle & sweet & who doesn't run away
(Batya: What is Splendor in the Grass?)

ENDS IN "O" $600: It's the traditional 7-letter cry on first sighting a fox
(Batya: What is heave-ho?)

A LITTLE DAD'LL DO YA $400: Seen here is daad, one of the 28 letters of this alphabet, the second-most widely used in the world

FOOD STUFF $200: Kalamata & Spanish are types of these
(Brennan: What--oh... what is rice?)

BRITISH HISTORY $2000: He was PM from 1902 to 1905; later, a declaration supporting a Jewish homeland in Palestine was named for him
(Batya: Who is Disraeli?)

"THE" LAND IS THE LAND $1600: A chain of barrier islands off the coast of North Carolina where the U.S.S. Monitor rests today
(Raf: What are the Channel Islands?)

PLANTS $400: (Sarah of the Clue Crew does some field work in Alaska.) The glistening fluid that gives the carnivorous plant, called the sundew, its name, is there to lure & trap these

WORLD LIT $1600: This short story collection's characters include Shere Khan & Kaa
(Raf: What are Just So Stories?)

PLANTS $1200: A parasitic plant called the monster flower is also known as this flower, for its horrible stink
(Batya: What is the skunk?)

DOUBLE DOUBLE LETTERS $800: It's the double reed music maker heard here

CORRECT RESPONSES
Scorpio
W.C. Handy
wontons
Hydra
rum
the Gold Coast
cobra lilies
buzzkill
Agave
Jackson Pollock
"I want to be alone"
Rebel Without a Cause
tally-ho
Arabic
olives
(Arthur James) Balfour
the Outer Banks
insects
The Jungle Book
the corpse flower
bassoon
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Quotable Painters
"A reviewer...wrote that my pictures didn't have any beginning or any end. He didn't mean it as a compliment, but it was."

Spoiler
Who is Jackson Pollock? Batya said Dali.

Brennan Bushee: $21,800+$8,201=$30,001...now a 2-day champion with $57,202
Raf Noboa Y Rivera: $15,000+$7,500=$22,500
Batya Diamond: $5,800-$2,400=$3,400
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

For some reason I figured the quote was in English, which made me rule out Picasso, and I figured it was a pretty apt quote for Pollack, so I got him bout 20 seconds in. (No real need to rule out non-English speakers, but glad I did.)

I'll miss Raf, he seemed enjoyable. (Note in this audition season: Raf seems to definitely be the type of personality they are looking for at auditions.)

Live Tweet with Harry Friedman at 7ET and 7PT
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:For some reason I figured the quote was in English, which made me rule out Picasso, and I figured it was a pretty apt quote for Pollack, so I got him bout 20 seconds in. (No real need to rule out non-English speakers, but glad I did.)

I'll miss Raf, he seemed enjoyable. (Note in this audition season: Raf seems to definitely be the type of personality they are looking for at auditions.)

Live Tweet with Harry Friedman at 7ET and 7PT
All I could come up with was Mondrian or Rothko. I went with the former.
brick

Post by brick »

FJ was an instaget for all three people in my living room.

Coryat $19,600.

I wasn't a fan of Raf. Possibly because he reminded me of someone who irritates me. Not his fault.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

27 right.

Film (3), Constellation (2), Religion (2), "O" (3), Food (1), Dad (3)
Brit (3), Plant (2), Song (3), Lit (4), Double (0), "The' Land (1)

Lach Trash: "W.C. Handy"

I said Warhol, but I'm not surprised it's Pollock, since he shows up a lot.

Judges: Would Rub' al Khali be acceptable or it is specifically "The Empty Quarter" based on the category title?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Herucles has a constellation?!?

I have never seen Father Time illustrated as an old man.

WLT Arabic on Dad for $400?

Judo for Tae kwon do cost me the run in Ends in O.

0/5 in Major Religion. Algeria is Islamic?!?!?

British History was miles over my head. Not the tiniest bit of recognition.

NHO The Hague, or anything else in "The" land for that matter.

WLT insects on Plants for $400?

No guess on FJ!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mxc_takeshi wrote:Judges: Would Rub' al Khali be acceptable or it is specifically "The Empty Quarter" based on the category title?
Nope. It required "The".
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

econgator wrote:
mxc_takeshi wrote:Judges: Would Rub' al Khali be acceptable or it is specifically "The Empty Quarter" based on the category title?
Nope. It required "The".
Gotcha.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Raf reminded me of a really annoying Seinfeld character so I held my breath when his FJ answer was correct. I'd guessed Dali myself. Despite that, all three played pretty well. And I think all 60 clues were revealed without too many TS's. Brennan reminds me of Norm McDonald.
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

Count me as another Picasso choice for FJ. Oh well.

Congrats again to the champ. It seemed like there was a lot of cheering and applauding at the end... I wondered if the champ had some friends/family in the audience?

When I was on the show, I was by myself, coming in from N.H. I think that really reduced the tension level, knowing I wasn't playing in front of people I knew.
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

For once, I think TPH's hyperbole was warranted: it could literally have been any painter.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Johnblue wrote:a really annoying Seinfeld character
That'd be all of them, wouldn't it?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Die kwon do?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
LHamilton
Contributor

Post by LHamilton »

I really didn't like that FJ question.

It's reasonable to assume that the quote was referring to an abstract expressionist, but there's nothing else specific in the quote to point to Jackson Pollock.

The quote itself is not famous, at least to the point where a contestant should *know* it.

The question could have been "guess a painter who did lots of abstract work". Some people will put Pollock since he's famous, but there's too much riding on Final Jeopardy for contestants not to have some path that leads to a 100% correct answer.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Instaget FJ. Mental image of splash drips and spatter swirls without beginning or end... Pollack claimed his 'art' depicted abstract expression but as Capt Willard said to Col Kurtz in Apocalypse Now (1979);
Kurtz: "Do you think my methods are unsound, Captain?"
Willard: "I don't see any... method... at all... Sir."

I recalled the quote from having seen "Pollack" in which Ed Harris played Jackson really quite well, I thought:
Abstract painting is abstract. It confronts you. There was a reviewer a while back who wrote that my pictures didn’t have any beginning or any end. He didn’t meant it as a compliment, but it was. It was a fine compliment. Only he didn’t know it.
40R no W today with LT: wonton, "Water serpent constellation = Hydra, W.C. Handy = "Father of Blues."
Had the same knee-jerk to respond with 'Rub-al-Khali" until recognizing the category requires "The" Empty Quarter. Caught it mid-read! Also gets on "The Gold Coast" and "The Outer Banks" BTW, fun category! Ran 'Constellations,' 'Religions by Countries' and -'O' words.

New dross for goats: "Fingerling" NHOI for little fishy, and a kind of little potatoes. "Ladyfingers" comes to mind in pastries, eh?!
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

$24000 (34 R/ 2 W). Final was tough, but I got it from the "no beginning and end" part. Dripping paint over a canvas isn't exactly what I'd call art, but you can definitely say the paint patterns have no beginning or end. I thought there was a lot of negbait in the Double Jeopardy round... good thing I only blurted out one wrong answer.
Hoping for a third lap
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Johnblue wrote:Brennan reminds me of Norm McDonald.
Seriously? Here at Chez Penguin, we both thought of Tom Cruise. He's got the smirk AND the wolfish smile. And I'd like him a lot better if Tom Cruise didn't exist.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

People over at previously.tv agree with the penguin house. I think the voice influences my opinion.