J! in the Media

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: J! in the Media

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:I do not mind Michelle Obama reading clues on Jeopardy!. I do mind when her husband comes to Birmingham and the local station bumps the program to show his speech.
Perhaps they can rectify it by having him give the speech as one of the clues in the show.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
rmfromfla
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by rmfromfla »

A few years ago, it was Michelle doing a speech down here on Panama City Beach, covered live by the local stations & ending 10 minutes after J! started
(4:40 PM).
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

Only tangential to J!, but there is a very good long-form article on fivethirtyeight.com today about the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament and it includes a mention of Joon Pahk.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Winchell Factor, skkorling, Fighting Words, and I were interviewed for this nice article in the local section of the paper that includes a shout out to the JBoard. The reporter thought it was so interesting that a bunch of jeopardy contestants would know each other, because that never happens, right? :lol:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... tml#page=1
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Winchell Factor, skkorling, Fighting Words, and I were interviewed for this nice article in the local section of the paper that includes a shout out to the JBoard. The reporter thought it was so interesting that a bunch of jeopardy contestants would know each other, because that never happens, right? :lol:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryla ... tml#page=1
It may not be news that you know each other but I think that it's newsworthy that there are so many game show contestants from such a small area. I have a friend that I've known for about 20 years now that's lived in Columbia his whole life that, while smart, hasn't competed on game shows before. Perhaps if I show him this article it'll change his mind. :)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
lgoldbard
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by lgoldbard »

Hi all, apologies if this is not the right topic to post this query on, but it was the most appropriate one I could find and I'm not cleared to post new topics yet. I was told by a family member that a recent contestant on Jeopardy! (like last month or so) discussed having a condition called achromatopsia, which rendered him, among other things, completely colorblind. Unfortunately, the family member doesn't remember the contestant's name. My daughter has the same very rare condition and I was hoping to track down the episode that this contestant appeared in. Does anyone by any chance recall the name of this contestant and what episode he appeared in?

Thanks!

Leo
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Here you go, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1950&p=108755&hilit ... nd#p108701 The contestant's name is Jonathan Kuehnle
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Season 23 player Alexandra Petri has written a book and details her J! experience in one of the chapters--excerpt in Vanity Fair here.

She even calls out somebody who may have been one of us...
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Robert K S wrote:Season 23 player Alexandra Petri has written a book and details her J! experience in one of the chapters--excerpt in Vanity Fair here.
She even calls out somebody who may have been one of us...
Gooba Gobble, Gooba Gobble...
clprez

Post by clprez »

I don't know if this is technically media, since it's a blog post, but I found this interesting.

http://www.dkzn.net/dkzn/jeopardy_champion.html

I couldn't find him on j-archive, so I don't know when he was on the show.
sonepoxy2015
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by sonepoxy2015 »

Another possible reason they might not get paid is because they're cheating...
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

clprez wrote:I don't know if this is technically media, since it's a blog post, but I found this interesting.

The home page lists it as prose, so I'm guessing it's fiction. Cool story, though.
Sprinkles are for winners.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

clprez wrote:I don't know if this is technically media, since it's a blog post, but I found this interesting.

If he was in third place entering FJ with $10,000, it would almost certainly have to be a post-doubling game, nearly all of which are accounted for. If the story were true, it surely would have rung a bell for someone by now.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Also, taping on a Friday? That's certainly unusual.
Tigershark
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Tigershark »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:Also, taping on a Friday? That's certainly unusual.
Even more unusual, the author claims to be Canadian, but describes the tape day as being "bitterly cold." Days that someone from Canada would perceive as being bitterly cold are pretty much nonexistent in Southern California.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Tigershark wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:Also, taping on a Friday? That's certainly unusual.
Even more unusual, the author claims to be Canadian, but describes the tape day as being "bitterly cold." Days that someone from Canada would perceive as being bitterly cold are pretty much nonexistent in Southern California.
This.

The last time I was in California (April 2011), I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt and everybody around me was bundled up in long pants and jackets. They were describing the temperature as bitterly cold, but it wasn't even what we would call cool.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote:

If he was in third place entering FJ with $10,000, it would almost certainly have to be a post-doubling game, nearly all of which are accounted for. If the story were true, it surely would have rung a bell for someone by now.
Exactly my thought. An interesting story, but much less interesting since it is made up. It is an interesting moral dilemma if something like that did happen. I would take the win, but I would feel a little guilty about it. But the stupid wagering by the leader would make me feel better about it.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:But the stupid wagering by the leader would make me feel better about it.
Notwithstanding, of course, my own stupid wager.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

When pressed for time, who on earth would begin to write a word rather than the one-character symbol for a number?
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Also, the fact that he wrote "what is" after the time started. They do that during the commercial break.