Monday, June 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7096, 2015-06-22

Brennan Bushee game 6

CONTESTANTS
Sacha Samotin, a student from Naples, Florida
Kay Yung, a psychiatrist from San Diego, California
Brennan Bushee, an operations analyst from Malden, Massachusetts (whose 5-day cash winnings total $126,404)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, my friends, and welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Our champion, Brennan, has been enjoying a marvelous ride for about a week now, and, as you just heard, winning over $125,000. Will he add to that today as he takes on Kay and Sacha? Let's start finding out. Here are the categories for the Jeopardy! Round today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE MOST POPULOUS NATION (4/5)
BIBLE "B" BOYS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FIORELLO LaGUARDIA HIGH SCHOOL ALUMS (4/5)
BIRD WORDS & PHRASES (2/5)
TAKE A PHOTO (3/4)
SAY CHEESE! (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brennan: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Sacha: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Kay: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brennan found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Brennan had $1,400, Kay had $600, and Sacha had nothing in the bank. Brennan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,400.

BIBLE "B" BOYS $1000: This Babylonian is slain the same night as his feast at which Daniel reads the writing on the wall

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Brennan: $3,200
Sacha: $2,600
Kay: $400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Sacha Samotin is a student from Naples, Florida, who has a remarkable ability, and that has to do with the members of Congress, right?

Sacha: Yes. Uh, so, when I was a junior in high school, I was a congressional page and had the opportunity to serve in the U.S. House of Representatives, and, uh, part of my job was, I had to memorize all of their names and photos, uh, so I can identify them all by their name, by their district, by their photograph, and by a variety of other things as well.

Alex: You can still do that to this day?

Sacha: I can, yeah.

Alex: So, if I asked you for the name of the representative from the most populous county in Missouri?

Sacha: William Lacy Clay. It would be St. Louis County. Uh, Emanuel Cleaver would represent Kansas City.

Alex: Get out of here!

[Laughter]

Alex: That's too much! Too good!

Alex: All right, Kay Yung from San Diego is a psychiatrist, a lieutenant in the Navy Reserve, and a woman who has gone on something I know nothing about and have heard nothing about--tweed rides?

Kay: Yes, it's where my friends and I get together, and we dress up in Edwardian costume and ride English bicycles around town for fun.

Alex: Okay. Good. But it's enjoyable?

Kay: It is.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Brennan Bushee is our champion. He's from Massachusetts, and he uses his trivia skills not only to win money on Jeopardy!, but to get food.

Brennan: Yes, um, to get free food. Um, this one time, me and some guys from school, we went, um, we went to a trivia night, and we ended up winning, and we won gift certificates to a really good bakery in town. Um, tt went to... it went to like a super double tie-breaker, I think, and--

Alex: Whoa.

[Laughs]

Brennan: --whatever they called it.

Alex: With $100,000, you can buy a lot of food.

Brennan: Yes.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE MOST POPULOUS NATION $1000: Serbia,
Croatia,
Bosnia & Herzegovina

SAY CHEESE! $1000: This Germanic cheese name is also found paired with "-gerome"

TAKE A PHOTO $400: A larger aperture (lower f/stop) means that this 3-word term will be shallower

FIORELLO LaGUARDIA HIGH SCHOOL ALUMS $600: Once Mariah Carey's "Idol" co-judge, she wanted to speak at her old school, but the principal nixed the cameras
(Sacha: Uh, who was Paula Abdul?)

BIRD WORDS & PHRASES $600: To boast or exult over your own good fortune or the misfortune of another

BIRD WORDS & PHRASES $800: An absurd tale passed off as being true, it combines a bird & a bovine

BIRD WORDS & PHRASES $1000: It can be slang for a woman singer, a sweet white wine or a stool pigeon
(Alex: Spilling the beans.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Brennan: $5,600
Sacha: $3,000
Kay: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
A BOUQUET OF FLOWERS (3/3)
PLAY INTO FILM (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WORKING ON A BUILDING (5/5)
HUMAN ENDEAVOR (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"A_C_D_C" (4/5) (Alex: Each correct response beginning with the letter "A" followed by those other letters somewhere there.)
OLD JERSEY, NEW JERSEY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Brennan: 10 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Kay: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Sacha: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Brennan snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Brennan had $12,000, Kay had $5,200, and Sacha was at $4,200. Brennan wagered $3,000.

PLAY INTO FILM $1600: Patty Duke & Anne Bancroft re-created their stage roles to make this 1962 film
(Brennan: Mm. I don't know.)
(Kay: Oh, that's too bad. Kay, tell him.)
(Kay: [*]?)
(Alex: Yes, the story of Helen Keller. Kay wishes she had hit that Daily Double. So it's a closer game, Brennan. Go again.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kay who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Brennan had $10,200, Kay had $7,200, and Sacha was at $5,400. Kay wagered $5,000.

HUMAN ENDEAVOR $1600: His 1753 work "Species Plantarum" provided binomial names for all known species of plants
(Alex: Way to go. Feels good, doesn't it?)
(Kay: It does. Yeah.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"A_C_D_C" $1600: Dice game in which you want to roll a 1 or a 2

PLAY INTO FILM $2000: In 1958 this folk singer reprised his stage role as Big Daddy in the film adaptation of "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kay: $16,200
Brennan: $11,800
Sacha: $9,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE FUTURE OF TELEVISION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Kay: Wager $7,401 to cover Brennan.
Brennan: You ought to wager to cover Sacha, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings by betting all $11,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $7,800 (to shut out Sacha) or less than $3,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Sacha). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Kay.
Sacha: Consider risking $1,000, thereby beating Kay on the Triple Stumper (should Kay wager to cover Brennan's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This live-action TV show about a family debuted in 1965 & was set in 1997

FINAL SCORES
Sacha: $9,800 + $9,800 = $19,600 (What is Lost in Space?) (New champion: $19,600)
Brennan: $11,800 + $5,000 = $16,800 (What is Lost in Space?) (2nd place)
Kay: $16,200 - $0 = $16,200 (What is The Jetsons?) (3rd place)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $9,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Brennan: $14,400, 19 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Kay: $12,800, 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Sacha: $9,800, 14 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $37,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Brennan: 20/60 = .333
Sacha: 15/58 = .259
Kay: 14/59 = .237
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE MOST POPULOUS NATION $800: Central African Republic,
North Korea,
East Timor
(Kay: What is East Timor?)

TAKE A PHOTO $200: When ordering prints of your photos, you usually get to choose between glossy & this, French for "dull"
[Alex adds "which is" before "French" when reading the clue.]

SAY CHEESE! $600: Seen here, a cool cat named Chester endorses this cheesy snack

FIORELLO LaGUARDIA HIGH SCHOOL ALUMS $200: Gene Anthony Ray went to LaGuardia's precursor, the School of Performing Arts, & won renown in this movie about it

TAKE A PHOTO $600: In 1935 Kodak introduced this product line, the first commercially successful amateur color film
(Alex: With less than a minute, you are right.)

FIORELLO LaGUARDIA HIGH SCHOOL ALUMS $1000: Whether you take the red pill or the blue one, this alum opened Neo's eyes to reality in "The Matrix"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

WORKING ON A BUILDING $2000: 1238: Muhammad Ibn al-Ahmar begins work on this Moorish masterpiece

HUMAN ENDEAVOR $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew reports from the California Science Center in Los Angeles.) The Space Shuttle Endeavour is 122 feet long and 78 feet wide, more than 20 feet longer & 50 feet wider than its 18th-century namesake commanded by this intrepid Englishman

PLAY INTO FILM $800: The nose knows that the play about this man has been filmed several times; here's an early one

"A_C_D_C" $2000: Jose Gomez, seen here, runs this jurisdiction of Los Angeles

OLD JERSEY, NEW JERSEY $1200: From 1789 to 2008 only one breed of this was allowed on the island of Jersey
(Brennan: What is a horse?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

A BOUQUET OF FLOWERS $2000: Luckily, these flowers seen here are in bloom again & would look lovely in a vase
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Belshazzar
Serbia
Munster
depth of field
Nicki Minaj
to crow
a cock-and-bull story
a canary
The Miracle Worker
Carolus Linnaeus
acey-deucey
Burl Ives
Lost in Space
North Korea
matte
Cheetos
Fame
Kodachrome
(Laurence) Fishburne
the Alhambra
(Captain) Cook
Cyrano de Bergerac
archdiocese
a cow
calla lilies
BADuBois
Jeopardy! Champion... It's a Mystery!

Post by BADuBois »

No spoilers honest... but if tonight's FJ is based on the New York Times "Clue of the Day" advertisement for "Jeopardy!", I found it confusing. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the clue was very well-written... although I did get the answer, only by guessing wildly.

I'll be curious to see how tonight's players and the rest of the board respond to it. :D
Award-winning author of "My Short, Happy Life in 'Jeopardy!'"
http://tinyurl.com/btax4xp
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Brennan didn't go down hard, but he went down. Kay snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by blowing a fairly easy FJ. At least it was an instaget for me, and the other two contestants also got it right. But her bet stunk to high heaven.

I think the modern term for what AT did to Brennan by calling on Kay to give the correct DD answer was "microaggression." I don't remember AT ever doing that before.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

BADuBois wrote:No spoilers honest... but if tonight's FJ is based on the New York Times "Clue of the Day" advertisement for "Jeopardy!", I found it confusing. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the clue was very well-written... although I did get the answer, only by guessing wildly.

I'll be curious to see how tonight's players and the rest of the board respond to it. :D
I think it was the category that made it confusing. Because otherwise, the clue was pretty much an instaget - particularly if you were a kid who watched TV in the 60s. And I haven't been able to come up with another show that fits the clue.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

The Future of Television
This live-action TV show about a family debuted in 1965 & was set in 1997.

Spoiler
What is Lost in Space? Kay said The Jetsons.

Kay Yung: $16,200-$0=$16,200
Brennan Bushee: $11,800+$5,000=$16,800
Sacha Samotin: $9,800+$9,800=$19,600...now a 1-day champion with $19,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I'm sure I'm not the only one who initially thought Jetsons. Fortunately, though I noticed the "live action" part and got to LiS pretty quickly.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, 5 games is a big toll on someone (the original producers were on to something when they set the original cap at five) and I didn't think Brennan had much in him. My hat's off to those inhuman machines who managed to get significantly more than five games (Dan, Arthur, Dave, Julia, Ken, and possibly Ben.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

Ouch.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought Bible "B" Boys was tough. I knew Barabbas though I thought it was undervalued at $200; NHO the other four to my knowledge. Benjamin? Bartholomew? Boaz?!?

Nope, not even gonna try on the Most Populous Nations. I have no sense of size, so Israel/Ireland/Italy seemed like a dead heat at first glance, but now that I've checked the numbers, it's not even close.

So that's what a fondue is. To the cheese market I go. Knew the middle three but not Muenster.

LaGuardia for $200 seemed very obscure. NHO "Fame" so nothing in that clue seemed even remotely recognizeable in the clue.. The whole category was miles over my head.

All but "archdiocese" in ACDC. I was thinking too geographically on the clue.

Future of TV? Interesting category. I was thinking "could they somehow have a clue on how TV will likely die off and be usurped by Netflix et al.?" But "1960s live-action TV show in the future" was enough to push me to "Lost in Space" quickly.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

How many of the 5 days champs have done all of their 5 days on the same recording day? It seems like Monday is a good day to knock out long running champs.

Shocked at that ending ... he should have won, she should have won, but instead they both handed it off to the other guy. Ah well, at least they all played a good game, so he seems like he's got potential.
CrunchyTaco
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by CrunchyTaco »

Well, looks like Jeopardy has been preempted in the Detroit area for a fireworks countdown show :evil:

..and the countdown show has preempted American Ninja Warrior :evil: :evil:
Last edited by CrunchyTaco on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I didn't think it was possible, but we have now seen a worse bet than last week.

I don't blame five games taking a toll on the champ, with a normal taping schedule it should've been the first show of the day.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

That was weird. I can't imagine what he was thinking with that wager. Maybe dhk was right and it was just fatigue.

When Alex read the clue, I actually laughed at the amount of stress he put on 'live-action', but then Kay said Jetsons anyway. Also can't imagine having so little confidence in a category that I'd bet 0 from the lead. Oh well. Sorry to see her go. She really knew her stuff, and it was refreshing to see a challenger take advantage of a DD, though with a wager that large she might as well have made it a TDD; plus that Linnaeus clue was criminally easy. Plus, maybe with an extra game under her belt, she would've gotten more comfortable and picked up the pace a little.

Great run Brennan! See you in the TOC.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Brennan had a great run; congratulations to him. And congrats to Sacha for becoming the new champion. I had 38 correct responses including four triple stumpers: Serbia, depth of field, Nicki Minaj, and Burl Ives. I also got the missed DD of The Miracle Worker. Instaget FJ; "live action" ruled out The Jetsons, and that show was too futuristic to be set in 1997.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Lost in Space never crossed my mind (nor did anything else. I simply stared at the TV for 10 seconds before FF'ing to the responses). I watched it as a child, but had no idea it was set in 1997.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

That is one way to steal a victory through superior wagering.

Didn't keep my own score, which is probably for the best. I can't do that and keep track of Lach Trash at the same time, so I stuck with the latter. Picked up five: Serbia, depth of field, The Miracle Worker, acey-deucy, and Burl Ives.

One of those I know about the inaccuracy of old shows set in the future is Lost in Space's depiction of the distant 1997. I honestly thought the show premiered much earlier, but I stuck with it as the only response that made sense.
squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

Pretty good match tonight, but I'm a tad glad Kay will not be returning as she seemed to slow the game down a bit.

Thought Alex was a bit rude for getting Kay to respond to Brennan's Daily Double. But hey, Alex is rude sometimes and we all know that.

No guess on FJ! other than a brief thought of The Jetsons. I'm far too young to be familiar with Lost in Space, though I have heard of it.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Elijah Baley wrote:
BADuBois wrote:No spoilers honest... but if tonight's FJ is based on the New York Times "Clue of the Day" advertisement for "Jeopardy!", I found it confusing. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the clue was very well-written... although I did get the answer, only by guessing wildly.

I think it was the category that made it confusing. Because otherwise, the clue was pretty much an instaget - particularly if you were a kid who watched TV in the 60s. And I haven't been able to come up with another show that fits the clue.
The category was definitely badly phrased. "Futuristic TV" would have been more accurate.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I thought Bible "B" Boys was tough. I knew Barabbas though I thought it was undervalued at $200; NHO the other four to my knowledge. Benjamin? Bartholomew? Boaz?!?
Have you tried reading the book? I highly recommend it. And it's a bestseller.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I was thinking "could they somehow have a clue on how TV will likely die off and be usurped by Netflix et al.?"
Jeez, Hammer, how did you name-drop Netflix and not mention how quickly Sense8 grabbed you?