The Future of the SHC: Announcement

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: The Future of the SHC: Announcement

Post by rjaguar3 »

dhkendall wrote:Personally, while I prefer leaving the SHC as just DoT's thing and retiring it with him, I do have some suggestions to a future host:

- I strongly suggest that a host only do it for a year then someone else does. DoT did a Herculean effort doing it for 10 years, a record I don't think can ever be beaten (there you go, DoT, *finally* you've earned one of Ken's trivia monikers!) and the main reason he's retiring seems to be the effort it takes to run. Plus, it's nice to have a different perspective each time, like the TDs.

- I would personally like to see a way to submit so we don't have to do it as spoiler comments in the thread. I'm guessing this may be a holdover from the capabilities of the Sony board at the time, but with TDs being done via PMs and Keith's excellent Google form experiment I think it can be done different. (Perhaps a SHC account that the quizmaster and scorer both have the password to?)

If I haven't already, let me add my appreciation for the work you do with the SHC, DoT! It won't be the same without what you provide! Hopefully, though, this may mean you can finally enter one?
Technically speaking, it is simpler to have the responses submitted via a form hosted on an external website. When I first created the SHC Manager website in 2012, I intentionally did not implement having players enter responses on the website. The reason was I viewed SHC Manager as a JBoard community activity and did not want to change the collegial atmosphere of the previous system.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

rjaguar3 wrote:Technically speaking, it is simpler to have the responses submitted via a form hosted on an external website. When I first created the SHC Manager website in 2012, I intentionally did not implement having players enter responses on the website. The reason was I viewed SHC Manager as a JBoard community activity and did not want to change the collegial atmosphere of the previous system.
Why external? Why not on jboard.tv/somedirectory ? I would think having a form that can only be submitted by logged-in users would be better (but I have no dog in the fight).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

bpmod wrote:
rjaguar3 wrote:Technically speaking, it is simpler to have the responses submitted via a form hosted on an external website. When I first created the SHC Manager website in 2012, I intentionally did not implement having players enter responses on the website. The reason was I viewed SHC Manager as a JBoard community activity and did not want to change the collegial atmosphere of the previous system.
Why external? Why not on jboard.tv/somedirectory ? I would think having a form that can only be submitted by logged-in users would be better (but I have no dog in the fight).

Brian
Once I decided not to implement the idea, I did not do further research on the details. That said, if there were some way to host the form on the website and be able to use the jboard.tv login credentials, I could certainly research this for further use.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

You can check http://www.jboard.tv/avatar to get some idea of what might be possible. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination (and the time it takes to implement them).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:Out of curiosity, what's wrong with doing it through spoiler posts? If you do PM's or Google, you can't see anyone else's answers.
What's wrong with doing it through spoiler posts for TDs? In a TD, eventually the answer set gets posted (well, in most cases. ;) ). Perhaps if we moved to another method, after entries are closed (I think DoT had a 3 day limit?) answers can be "revealed" in the thread.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

dhkendall wrote:
alietr wrote:Out of curiosity, what's wrong with doing it through spoiler posts? If you do PM's or Google, you can't see anyone else's answers.
What's wrong with doing it through spoiler posts for TDs? In a TD, eventually the answer set gets posted (well, in most cases. ;) ). Perhaps if we moved to another method, after entries are closed (I think DoT had a 3 day limit?) answers can be "revealed" in the thread.
It would ruin the suspense.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I reread this thread for a review of where things stood after last year's SHC. The main points seem to be:

Many of us enjoyed playing.
We have a scorekeeper in place.
We have some volunteers to write questions.

Opinions varied on the process to submit answers.

A lot of months have gone by since this thread started, so things may have changed. I thought it was a good time with August 3rd fast approaching to check with the community on what we could do during the 2015 rerun weeks. I did not know if it was best to post here or to have created a new 2015 thread for this topic.

The previous format was 6 weeks of play then a 7th week for the TOC only. Each week had 10 questions a day for six days to equal 60 questions in total for each week.

So, not counting the TOC it's "only" 360 clues needed to cover six weeks. The number of categories needed would be 72. If each person interested in participating wrote/submitted one category it would be more than enough material.

As a starting point for this new discussion, is rjaguar3 still around to handle the scoring?

BoK

Post by BoK »

I've been thinking about/writing questions ever since DoT has announced his retirement. I actually have twenty-something categories already mostly written. So what I guess I'm saying is, if there is interest, I can run it this year.

But my question is how DoT would feel about somebody else taking over his thing. I would completely understand if he would prefer to see the SHC retire with him.

DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

If the community finds a way to keep the SHC or something like it going in my absence, that would be a good thing, I think, especially if there is a group who can work together on the administrative side. Answer rulings, scoring, and coordinating writers with game days to insure genre & difficulty balance are likely to be the most time-consuming tasks, so if you decide to put a team together, I would suggest naming a Scorekeeper, an Answer Judge, and a Chief Editor.

If you decide to go that route, I'll be happy to send the Chief Editor the genre templates and Writers' Guide I've used in past years.

As for what to call it, if you want to use the SHC name, that's fine. If you want to call it something else, that's OK too. The one thing I would ask is that at some point the administrative team find a way to honor Paucle. In more ways that a lot of people know, he played a big role in keeping the SHC going as long as it did. I have a couple of ideas, but I'll let the ongoing custodians of the game make the final decision on that.

Whatever you decide, I hope it goes well. I'll be up to my neck in hospital chaplain training until mid-September, so I might not be around as much as I would like, but I'll be thinking of you and wishing you the best.

rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

MarkBarrett wrote:As a starting point for this new discussion, is rjaguar3 still around to handle the scoring?
Yes.

I can also write maybe a dozen categories (1 weeks worth).

ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

I like the idea of having an external submission site. I would volunteer to help code up something and put answers in a database for scoring, but I would need web space. (Maybe collaborate with someone else, if they're up to it; PHP would be a preferred language if we went that route.)

rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

ZachTheRiah wrote:I like the idea of having an external submission site. I would volunteer to help code up something and put answers in a database for scoring, but I would need web space. (Maybe collaborate with someone else, if they're up to it.)
I have webspace available at http://gregorygauthier.com. If there is interest, I can modify the site's code to allow for (rudimentary) collaboration, or we could just use a Google Doc.

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Sooooo...I'm still kinda new around here, but I'm more than willing to help.
Last edited by patkav on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

I'm ready to help with writing questions.

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I don't know that my wheelhouses are really anyone else's, but I'd nonetheless be willing to try my hand at writing a category. Anything to keep this going (and avenge last year's placement)!

rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

ZachTheRiah wrote:I like the idea of having an external submission site. I would volunteer to help code up something and put answers in a database for scoring, but I would need web space. (Maybe collaborate with someone else, if they're up to it; PHP would be a preferred language if we went that route.)
Zach, if you would like to take a look at my current PHP code, you can find it here: https://github.com/rjaguar3/shc-manager

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

nightreign wrote:I don't know that my wheelhouses are really anyone else's, but I'd nonetheless be willing to try my hand at writing a category. Anything to keep this going (and avenge last year's placement)!
Harry Potter can have a few gimmes and then ramp up the difficulty.

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

nightreign wrote:I don't know that my wheelhouses are really anyone else's, but I'd nonetheless be willing to try my hand at writing a category. Anything to keep this going (and avenge last year's placement)!
Your wheelhouses are often mine as well, so I would be particularly glad to have you do a category. :D

On a related note, I would also be happy to pitch in a category or two.

ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

rjaguar3 wrote:
ZachTheRiah wrote:I like the idea of having an external submission site. I would volunteer to help code up something and put answers in a database for scoring, but I would need web space. (Maybe collaborate with someone else, if they're up to it; PHP would be a preferred language if we went that route.)
Zach, if you would like to take a look at my current PHP code, you can find it here: https://github.com/rjaguar3/shc-manager
Cool. Could you post your config.inc; my WAMP server can't seem to find it. Thanks! (It looks like you put a lot of work into it.) :)

rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

ZachTheRiah wrote:
rjaguar3 wrote:
Cool. Could you post your config.inc; my WAMP server can't seem to find it. Thanks! (It looks like you put a lot of work into it.) :)
The config.inc file is not included in the repository, you can use the following template:

Code: Select all

<?php
$mysql_host = 'YOUR_MYSQL_HOST';
$mysql_username = 'YOUR_MYSQL_USERNAME';
$mysql_password = 'YOUR_MYSQL_PASSWORD';
$mysql_dbname = 'YOUR_MYSQL_DBNAME';
$site_url = 'the_url_of_your_site';
$salt = 'A_RANDOMLY_GENERATED_STRING';
$admin_address = "YOUR_ADMIN_EMAIL_ADDRESS";
?>
You will also need to manually create an admin account; unfortunately, I haven't documented this (or written a setup script). There are quite a few use scenarios that require diving into phpMyAdmin, more than I want to admit. :D
Last edited by rjaguar3 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.