Tuesday, January 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

U.S. Population
Between 2000 and 2010, these 2 states that border each other led the nation in highest percentage of population increase, 35% and 25%
Spoiler
What are Nevada (35.1%) and Arizona (24.6%)? Betsy and Daniel both guessed Arizona and New Mexico (only the 15th largest increase at 13.2%). If anyone had guessed Nevada and Utah they could rightfully feel a little ripped off, as Utah was 3rd at 23.8%, just a sliver behind Arizona.
Daniel Hodge: $22,400-$6,401=$15,999
Amy Stephenson: $14,400+$4,000=$18,400...now a 1-day champion with $18,400
Betsy Schroeder: $8,000-$0=$8,000
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Most of this game is archived already (I clicked the top link in season 28 looking for last night's game, and am thankful I realized something was up before my mind recorded anything). That's got to be a record!
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

seaborgium wrote:Most of this game is archived already (I clicked the top link in season 28 looking for last night's game, and am thankful I realized something was up before my mind recorded anything). That's got to be a record!
I was surprised to see you posting in this thread before the episode airs in Los Angeles! Anyway I noticed it too about the archive, and I'm thrilled! :D They've done it at least one other time, so maybe it's a "co-record." ;) I came here to find the final clue, and it's not posted here yet.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

They ran out of time in the J! round...but made it through DJ even with a full video category?!?!

And Betsy wasn't interested in winning, or 2nd place, apparently.True, she needed an overwager by Daniel, but $0?

EDIT Thanks jeff.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

seaborgium wrote:Most of this game is archived already (I clicked the top link in season 28 looking for last night's game, and am thankful I realized something was up before my mind recorded anything). That's got to be a record!
The most excellent Tuesday Archivist gets the game very early in the day, so she's usually able to have it up in good time.

For FJ, I knew that Nevada was the #1 state in growth, so it was just a matter of figuring which of the 4 surrounding states (I knew California wasn't the other) was the most likely choice.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

econgator wrote:
The most excellent Tuesday Archivist gets the game very early in the day, so she's usually able to have it up in good time.

For FJ, I knew that Nevada was the #1 state in growth, so it was just a matter of figuring which of the 4 surrounding states (I knew California wasn't the other) was the most likely choice.
I knew the same, remembering news stories, but played eenie meenie miney mo and settled on Utah as my other choice. I guessed Arizona was too big by 2000 to have made a 25+% leap to 2010.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

13/27, 10/30.

I think "Santa Fe" was a HUGE red herring in Norman for $400. And of course, if there's a red herring, I will clamp down on it like a piranha.

Clammed on Bratwurst since I'd never heard of them having veal. At least the Johnsonville brats I buy at the supermarket don't. 4/5 in the category.

Got derpy on State Song for $1000. "Well, Wabash is in Indiana, but $800 was Indiana already..." No it wasn't, you idiot. $800 was Illinois. Also ended up with a 4/5 there.

I went with Arizona but picked California as the other. Nevada never entered my mind. It's like it wasn't there on my map at all.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I think "Santa Fe" was a HUGE red herring in Norman for $400.
I first learned Norman was in Oklahoma because of the Sooners. I have no idea how well-known a fact that is otherwise. Sadly, I also knew someone would say NM based on Santa Fe.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

xxaaaxx wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I think "Santa Fe" was a HUGE red herring in Norman for $400.
I first learned Norman was in Oklahoma because of the Sooners. I have no idea how well-known a fact that is otherwise. Sadly, I also knew someone would say NM based on Santa Fe.
I knew about Norman, Oklahoma, but putting Santa Fe at the START of the clue is just asking for it IMO.
Doug527
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Doug527 »

Can I request a judges' ruling on accepting "trifurcate" instead of "trisect" for the $400 clue in "TRI" TIPS?
Lifelong enthusiast. Season 28 contestant.
iowabelle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by iowabelle »

I couldn't quite hear the answer "trisect". I don't even think I've ever heard that word so I wouldn't have come up with that.

FJ was a disappointment to me today. I went California and Arizona. At first I was tempted by Florida and Georgia since the 2 states had to be neighbors. Otherwise I would have figured Calif. and Florida.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Snaxx wrote: I knew the same, remembering news stories, but played eenie meenie miney mo and settled on Utah as my other choice. I guessed Arizona was too big by 2000 to have made a 25+% leap to 2010.
Same here. Arizona grew by 24.6% and Utah was third, growing by 23.8%, so we were only 0.8% off. If the writers had asked for the top three states, all bordering each other, that would have been a much kinder clue.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I went with Georgia and South Carolina for FJ. I remembered a FJ clue from a few years ago about population growth that had Georgia as the correct response, but I don't remember the exact clue. I am surprised that so many people knew this one or at least got in the ballpark. It kind of seems like a trivial clue.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

xxaaaxx wrote:
I said Oklahoma, but that's because I've got friends near Norman.

Got final. (Thanks to all the obscure census studying I do regularly.)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Came up with NV/AZ right away, but Utah was nagging at me the rest of the 30 seconds.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:13/27, 10/30.

I think "Santa Fe" was a HUGE red herring in Norman for $400. And of course, if there's a red herring, I will clamp down on it like a piranha.
I'm rarely an advocate of rote memorization, but knowing where University of (insert state here) is located should be as embedded in your mind as state capitals.
spell4yr

Post by spell4yr »

NoName84 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:13/27, 10/30.

I'm rarely an advocate of rote memorization, but knowing where University of (insert state here) is located should be as embedded in your mind as state capitals.
I agree; however I agree with TPH also for that clue. I know where OU is (I've had several college classmates go on to grad school there as they're one of the best in the country for meteorology), but throwing Santa Fe in there led me to say "New M-- Oklahoma", forgetting momentarily the category AND knowing full well that UNM's in Albuquerque. So I can see where people are coming from.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

xxaaaxx wrote:They ran out of time in the J! round...but made it through DJ even with a full video category?!?!

And Betsy wasn't interested in winning, or 2nd place, apparently. True, she needed an overwager by Daniel, but $0?
She didn't need an overwager by Daniel at all, after Betsy missed the final clue and Daniel got it, the scores were left in the intriguing position of 3rd+2nd=1st, meaning that if Daniel had made the standard shutout wager, which he did, he would be left with $15,999, and Betsy's maximum score was $16,000. This is a wonderful position for Betsy to be in, so she should automatically bet it all, and if Daniel is paying attention he should only bet $6,400, rather than $6,401, in order to ensure that he doesn't lose to Betsy by a dollar. Then if Amy is paying attention, she should bet it all and give herself a chance to tie Daniel at $28,800 if they both get it right. She should have bet it all anyway, since she did need a miss by Daniel in order to win, and with the way the game ended up she essentially left over $10,000 on the table, as the only way her small wager benefited her was by ensuring that she couldn't drop from 2nd to 3rd and lose $1,000 had she been wrong and Amy right.

It certainly isn't too surprising at this point, but I was disappointed to see that not one of the three players recognized the unique positioning of the scores and bet appropriately for the situation. How can the leader not be paying enough attention to realize that by making the shutout wager and missing, they would be falling just $1 behind the maximum score of the third place player?