Thursday, July 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7119, 2015-07-23

CONTESTANTS
Anne-Marie Masse, a veterinarian from Pierrefonds, Quebec, Canada
Erin Saelzler, a pharmacist from Oregon, Ohio
Scott Lord, a construction attorney from Santa Monica, California (whose 3-day cash winnings total $73,401)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Ladies, welcome aboard. Erin and Anne-Marie, nice to have you with us. Watch out for Scott. He is a good player. But good luck to all of you. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. And here come the categories for you. Starting off with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MEDICAL MATTERS (5/5)
FILM FRANCHISES (5/5)
POTENT POTABLES (4/5)
'90s NEWSMAKERS (5/5)
STATE SEALS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ALLITERATION ALL AROUND (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Erin: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Scott: 12 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Anne-Marie: 6 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Erin: $3,600
Scott: $2,600
Anne-Marie: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Anne-Marie Masse is from the province of Quebec in Canada. She's a veterinarian who once had to treat a special kind of cat. What happened?

Anne-Marie: Well, this cat was sick--it was a young cat. And he wasn't eating, wasn't feeling well. And, uh, when we took an X-ray of him, we saw this metallic object that looked like a dog. And we did surgery, and lo and behold, it was the little Monopoly token that--that looks like a dog. The little Scottie dog.

Alex: So you can now go through life saying, "I'm a veterinarian who treated a cat who ate a dog."

Anne-Marie: Ate a dog. Exactly. Exactly.

Alex: All right, good for you. Makes a great story.

Alex: Erin Saelzler from Oregon, Ohio. A pharmacist who collects special items.

Erin: Yes. Um, everywhere I travel, I collect snow globes from the--from the various cities that I've been to.

Alex: Now do the snow globes always have snow falling if you turn them over?

Erin: There are some that have glitter in them instead of snow.

Alex: I would like those.

Erin: Yeah. [Laughs]

Alex: Yeah, that's good.

Alex: Okay, Scott Lord is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. He is from Santa Monica. And he lives in a house that has some show biz history, I think.

Scott: It does. Uh, about 10, 12 years ago, after our twin boys were born, we were looking for a bigger house, and we found an old Spanish revival home that, uh, come to find out after we bought it, we Googled it, and it had been owned by Bette Davis. And before Bette Davis lived there, it had been owned or rented by Greta Garbo.

Alex: Way to go.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Scott found the Daily Double on the 29th clue. Scott had $4,400, Erin had $6,000, and Anne-Marie was at $3,600. Scott wagered $1,600.

STATE SEALS $800: Prominent on its seal is a silver miner & his team moving a carload of ore from a mountain
(Alex: [*], which is the Silver State.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
POTENT POTABLES $1000: 130 different herbs go into the green type of this liqueur made by French monks
(Scott: What is absinthe?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Erin: $7,000
Scott: $6,000
Anne-Marie: $3,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, July 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TODAY'S TENNIS STARS (2/5)
LITERARY SETTINGS (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WOODROW WILSON'S FOURTEEN POINTS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
I'M GOING ____ ON THE TITLE (4/5)
LINGO (5/5)
HIT THE "BEACH" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Scott: 14 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Erin: 8 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Anne-Marie: 1 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $9,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Erin snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Scott had $8,000, Erin had $10,200, and Anne-Marie was at $3,600. Erin wagered $1,000.

LITERARY SETTINGS $800: The metropolis of Mildendo in this land in "Gulliver's Travels" was a square, each side "being five hundred feet long"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Erin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Scott had $8,000, Erin had $13,200, and Anne-Marie was at $5,200. Erin wagered $2,000.

WOODROW WILSON'S FOURTEEN POINTS $1200: No. 7:
This Low Country should be "evacuated and restored" to full sovereignty
(Erin: What is Hungary?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I'M GOING ____ ON THE TITLE $1200: The album "____ the Halls: A Robertson Family Christmas"

LITERARY SETTINGS $2000: "The Bridge of San Luis Rey" tells the story of a 1714 bridge collapse & its investigation in this Latin American nation

HIT THE "BEACH" $2000: The British 3rd division was the tip of the Allied rapier piercing German defenses at this D-Day invasion zone
(Erin: What is Omaha Beach?)

TODAY'S TENNIS STARS $2000: (I'm Caroline Wozniacki.) Growing up, my idols were Steffi Graf & this Swiss woman who won 5 Grand Slam titles in the 1990s

TODAY'S TENNIS STARS $1600: In 2015 he Serbed his way to a fifth Australian Open title
(Alex: He's Serbian.)

TODAY'S TENNIS STARS $800: This Russian-born player's portfolio includes 30+ WTA titles, a career Grand Slam & an S.I. Swimsuit Edition feature
(Scott: Who is Sharpova?)
[Initially accepted as correct; reversed before Final Jeopardy!]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Scott: $19,600
Erin: $10,000
Anne-Marie: $5,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: As you all know, correct pronunciation is important on Jeopardy! And that is going to affect our champion Scott Lord right now. In his response a little while ago about Maria Sharapova, he left out one syllable. The scores are correct as you see them. COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES is the subject for the Final, and this is the clue for the Final...

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Scott: Wager $401 to cover Erin, but no more than $9,199 so as not to fall behind Anne-Marie's doubled score.
Erin: You have the hope of surpassing Scott if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $9,601 to force Scott to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Anne-Marie.
Anne-Marie: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The mission of this Western university founded in 1875 is "to assist individuals in their quest for perfection and eternal life"

FINAL SCORES
Anne-Marie: $5,200 - $0 = $5,200 (What is cats rule!) (2nd place)
Erin: $10,000 - $5,000 = $5,000 (What is Bringham Young University?) (3rd place)
Scott: $19,600 + $401 = $20,001 (What is BYU?) (73402-day champion: $20,001)
(Alex: [To Anne-Marie] I'm with you, but I love dogs, too.)
(Alex: [To Erin] Just as correct pronunciation is important on the show, if you add a letter that changes the pronunciation, which you did here--you put an "N" before the "G". So it makes it "Bringham" Young instead of [*]. That is going to cost you...)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Scott: $18,800, 26 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Erin: $11,800, 19 R (including 1 DD), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Anne-Marie: $5,200, 7 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $35,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Scott: 27/59 = .458
Erin: 19/60 = .317
Anne-Marie: 7/58 = .121
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FILM FRANCHISES $800: (Hi, I'm Moon Bloodgood.) In the fourth installment of this film series, I found "salvation" playing a fighter pilot for the resistance

STATE SEALS $200: The Northern Lights radiate over the top of majestic mountains on its seal
(Scott: What is Montana?)

LITERARY SETTINGS $1600: The bubonic plague overwhelms the city of Oran in this North African nation in Albert Camus' "The Plague"
(Scott: What is Morocco?)

HIT THE "BEACH" $800: You can get a nice cup of hot chocolate at the sunrise diner in this Florida city just south of Cape Canaveral
(Erin: What is Daytona Beach?)

HIT THE "BEACH" $400: The Queen Mary reigns over this Southern California city's miles of waterfront
(Alex: ...with less than a minute to go.)

TODAY'S TENNIS STARS $400: (I'm Andy Murray.) I'm the reigning Olympic singles tennis champion, winning gold at the games hosted by this city
(Alex: Yeah, he did it at home.)

TODAY'S TENNIS STARS $1200: (I'm John Isner.) In June 2010 I won what was to that time the longest match in history--over 11 hours--in this Grand Slam tournament

CORRECT RESPONSES
Nevada
Chartreuse
Lilliput
Belgium
Duck
Peru
Sword Beach
Martina Hingis
Novak Djokovic
Maria Sharapova
Brigham Young University
the Terminator series
Alaska
Algeria
Cocoa Beach
Long Beach
London
Wimbledon
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Colleges & Universities
The mission of this western university founded in 1875 is "to assist individuals in their quest for perfection and eternal life".

Spoiler
What is Brigham Young University? Annie-Marie said "Cats rule!"; Erin said Bringham Young University, adding a letter and being ruled wrong.

Scott Lord: $19,600+$401=$20,001...now a 4-time champion with $93,402
Erin Saelzler: $10,000-$5,000=$5,000
Anne-Marie Masse: $5,200-$0=$5,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Scott worked his way into a runaway which Erin was prevented from blocking because of the stand-and-stare tennis category. But then as fate would have it, Scott was reversed after the FJ break, which meant that he no longer had a runaway. Then Erin made the dreaded extra-letter goof. But it was no more harmful than emanciptation, because Scott came up with the correct answer to become a four-time champ. Anne-Marie from Quebec needed more coaching.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
forzagiersy
Contributor

Post by forzagiersy »

Today was a very good reminder that spelling and grammar counts, everyone.
JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

I was confused by Erin's FJ bid. What was $5K going to do for her? And I really felt bad for her when Scott shortcut the spelling problem by using the abbreviation.

Erin played pretty well all day, but Scott just went on fire with the buzzer at the end of DJ. It seems to be a trend for him.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

This week has been pretty terrible to me when it came to FJs. But today things turned around. Glad my guess was right.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

JillyJill wrote:I was confused by Erin's FJ bid. What was $5K going to do for her?
I'm with you. That was a meaningless bet.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Hemoglobin was my only miss in Health, and "Baby boomers" my only miss in Alliteration (got hung up on "senior").

Lach Trash: "Duck the Halls".

"Territorial" seemed undervalued (Wilson for $400).

Lingo struck me as very YEKIOYD. NHO "Drop a dime".

Brain wasn't working on Beach. Could've gotten Long, Cocoa, and Myrtle, but they all slipped out of my head when I needed them.

Oh boy, a weak category for me… wait… Hmm, that sounds kinda religious-y. BYU it is.
jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 »

JillyJill wrote:I was confused by Erin's FJ bid. What was $5K going to do for her?
I was totally dumbfounded by that, as well. It just goes to show many people go on Jeopardy without knowing how to play.
JillyJill wrote:And I really felt bad for her when Scott shortcut the spelling problem by using the abbreviation.
I was actually hoping someone put down "BYU" as a response because I was debating whether or not it would be accepted.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

Yayyyyyy for an entire tennis category! Boooooooo to Hingis and Djokovic being TSs.
JillyJill wrote:I was confused by Erin's FJ bid.
I love TPIR... but Jeopardy ain't that. :P
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jpr281 wrote:I was actually hoping someone put down "BYU" as a response because I was debating whether or not it would be accepted.
What would be the rationale for disallowing it?
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congratulations to Scott again -- four wins now! He did very well in the last few minutes of this game. I had 39 correct responses including three triple stumpers: Chartreuse, Peru, and Djokovic. Instaget FJ.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

jpr281 wrote:
I was totally dumbfounded by that, as well. It just goes to show many people go on Jeopardy without knowing how to play.
JillyJill wrote:And I really felt bad for her when Scott shortcut the spelling problem by using the abbreviation.
I was actually hoping someone put down "BYU" as a response because I was debating whether or not it would be accepted.
But what reason could they give for not accepting it? If the answer had been UCLA, for example, I doubt that they would expect anyone to write out "University of California, Los Angeles."
brick

Post by brick »

I don't think that middle answer in Potent Potables was good.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
I'm with you. That was a meaningless bet.
Yeah, given a second chance at life, she threw it away with a bad bet. It doesn't even protect her second place position.

Once again, Scott puts on the jets in DJ to get a lock until he mispronounced the tennis player's name. I'm glad it only cost him at most $2,398.

It was pretty much an instaget for me. A western school with a religious focus. The year sounded about right and with only three letters to write down, a quick solve.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Elijah Baley wrote:
jpr281 wrote:
But what reason could they give for not accepting it? If the answer had been UCLA, for example, I doubt that they would expect anyone to write out "University of California, Los Angeles."
They wouldn't take OSU for Ohio State, but BYU can only be Brigham Young.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

floridagator wrote:Anne-Marie from Quebec needed more coaching.
Anne-Marie was a fellow leftover from April 20, and the contestant I hung out with the most during taping. She got coaching, but was still nervous/intimidated by the level of competition, and she knew that could affect her game. I gave her lotsa pep talks, but have been waiting to see how she'd do more than anyone else. I was SO relieved not to play against her in any of my games because any possible outcome would have made me miserable. I love her FJ answer so much.

That whole tennis category was a total stand-and-stare for me. Oh, wait, no it wasn't, I said Kournikova for Sharapova. Anyone for tennis? Not me.
brick

Post by brick »

I got stuck thinking Catholic. Blerg.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Damn, Erin looked like she was going to cry after the FJ was announced.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K