New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

animfan wrote:
If I find a “Jeopardy!” tape that has the 4/26/88 game in it, I’ll upload the intro and first round to either dailymotion or Vimeo.
That would be great, thanks.

Bamaman wrote:I got them both, who was your other thought on the coin flip?

Thanks for the story about your father, that is pretty neat.
Spoiler
Nixon/Ford = August I lived through. I never bothered to learn the month when McKinley or Harding died. FDR I knew died in April of '45. McKinley was shot at an Exposition, so that sounded summer to me. Harding died while away on the West Coast, so that struck me as a summer trip as well. Coin toss that probably would have landed on TR.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Spoiler
Harding had been on a trip to Alaska and died in San Francisco, so that may have been a summer vacation of sorts. McKinley was shot in early September and lived for several days. Harrison, Lincoln and FDR all checked out in April. Taylor got sick at a 4th of July event and I think Garfield died in July, he lived for quite a while after he was shot.
Based on the scores, I don't think we missed much.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added Jim Vercolen #5 from 6/19/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4988

55R & 5W is a lot better than usual. The material of the game is filled with a high number of good clues that should have this game marked with some kind of star as one for future players to study and learn with the useful factoids.

POLITICIANS $800: I don't know what the count is now, but it has to be a lot higher than 3.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MarkBarrett wrote:POLITICIANS $800: I don't know what the count is now, but it has to be a lot higher than 3.
Currect?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote:POLITICIANS $800: I don't know what the count is now, but it has to be a lot higher than 3.
Yup. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ors_by_age
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
brick

Post by brick »

Volante wrote:
Yup. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... ors_by_age
Ugh. That's rather horrifying.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I did not know Fenstein was that old. Not many more, just five, but three more reach that number before the 2016 elections.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Bamaman wrote:I did not know Fenstein was that old. Not many more, just five, but three more reach that number before the 2016 elections.
I count 12 (nine more than at the time of the clue). Looks like Lamar Alexander is the youngest member of the 75+ group.
Sprinkles are for winners.
brick

Post by brick »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I did not know Fenstein was that old. Not many more, just five, but three more reach that number before the 2016 elections.
I count 12 (nine more than at the time of the clue). Looks like Lamar Alexander is the youngest member of the 75+ group.
Wait... I see nine that are OLDER than 75, so that is six more than in 1995, and there are three that are currently 75.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Oops, I thought it said 80 or older.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 11/3/88 to complete the run of Alison Roberts: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4990

spoiler comments about the game
Spoiler
From my notes I knew Alison lost the game and that Steve won 20K. For a lot of the game it was hard to believe as she was running away. I thought Steve (the navy man) must have found a DD in SHIPS, but no it was in ZOOLOGY. Going into the FJ! round I then assumed Alison missed the clue.

When I saw the clue my thought was, "How could she have missed that?" Then, "Oh, she had it right!" Then, "Oh, no!, she didn't." She did.

Who wants to contact her to see if her friends and family remind her every day about it. :)

This was the Thursday game before the TOC, so there was a chance for Alison to make the field and bump Ron Trigueiro.

I still have plenty of more games and more time in August, but I am going to take a week off from old games to avoid burn out. Back with another one on Aug. 3. I'll still be around the board though.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^Actually, this was back when the TOC was the best of the previous season's winners, so it would have been the Nov. 1989 TOC that Allison was trying to qualify for (I believe it was Chris Shea who got the last spot then).
brick

Post by brick »

MarkBarrett wrote:I added 11/3/88 to complete the run of Alison Roberts: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4990

spoiler comments about the game
Spoiler
From my notes I knew Alison lost the game and that Steve won 20K. For a lot of the game it was hard to believe as she was running away. I thought Steve (the navy man) must have found a DD in SHIPS, but no it was in ZOOLOGY. Going into the FJ! round I then assumed Alison missed the clue.

When I saw the clue my thought was, "How could she have missed that?" Then, "Oh, she had it right!" Then, "Oh, no!, she didn't." She did.

Who wants to contact her to see if her friends and family remind her every day about it. :)

This was the Thursday game before the TOC, so there was a chance for Alison to make the field and bump Ron Trigueiro.

I still have plenty of more games and more time in August, but I am going to take a week off from old games to avoid burn out. Back with another one on Aug. 3. I'll still be around the board though.
:shock: Unreal!

Thank you for all your work in the archives, by the way!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Spoiler
Bad late DD bet by Steve. Why leave $1,800 on the table when a miss dooms you anyway? Especially since it would have given him the lead, though she would have passed him by getting that last clue.

I'd have to really hate the FJ category to bet zero. I'm no Bible expert, but most of what they ask isn't very in depth in religion.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jeff-thecdboy wrote:^Actually, this was back when the TOC was the best of the previous season's winners, so it would have been the Nov. 1989 TOC that Allison was trying to qualify for (I believe it was Chris Shea who got the last spot then).
Okay, 1989 it is, thanks. Yes, you are right that Chris Shea was low man for that TOC with 4x/$35,202

Alison would not have even needed a 5th win as 4x/$47K+ would have qualified easily. Alison goes on to win the TOC, gets invited to the M$M over Rachael Schwartz and that changes the mix enough that Brad Rutter does not win. Alison in the UTOC changes the draw and Brad does not win that. Alison in the BOTD changes the draw and Brad does not win that one either. So, her FJ! wager in 1988 put an extra 4 million in Brad's wallet. :)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You forgot the money she won beating Ken and Watson.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Chaos Butterfly!!
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Pannoni3 AKA MIchael Pannoni placed on his Dailymotion page the 9/11/87 episode, from the last seven clues of the first round through the end. Categories in round one look to be Canada, Dry, Christmas, Seals, TV, and "Guide"
Last edited by legendneverdies on Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

brick wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Wait... I see nine that are OLDER than 75, so that is six more than in 1995, and there are three that are currently 75.
I'm counting anyone who is older than 75 years, 0 days as being "over 75." You are counting only those whose whole number of years lived is greater than 75. Either is a reasonable interpretation of the phrase.
Sprinkles are for winners.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

THe Michael Pannoni download of most of the 9/11/87 game(last seven clues of round one through FJ!) is at Pannoni3 on Dailymotion, not Youtube, thanks Robert KS for reminding me I made a mistake there.