TD 254: Hi-Fi Hi-Lo (Final Results Posted)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 254: Hi-Fi Hi-Lo (Final Results Posted)

Post by 9021amyers »

Welcome to Hi-Fi Hi-Lo, the music-themed trivia quiz that doesn't actually contain much music trivia!

I used to think I wouldn't have much use for music streaming services, but then Apple Music was released with a three-month free trial. Simply put, I'm hooked. This quiz, then, is inspired by some of the songs I have been listening to in the last couple of months. Many of these songs were already in my music collection, while others have shown up on playlists recommended to me based on my tastes and listening history. You may be hearing some of the artists featured in this quiz for the first time; don't worry, none of the questions are going to be specifically about them. I hope you enjoy this TD, as well as the music accompanying it! (If the people decide that the YouTube clips embedded in the main quiz post are overwhelming, I'll be sure to change them into more conventional links.)

Here are the rules...

1. This quiz consists of twelve (12) questions. Players will be asked to provide responses to these questions, and then choose how they would like each response to be scored.
  • Players will nominate five (5) responses to be counted as a high score; high scores will be counted in the style of Match Game, with the objective to provide the most popular answer.
  • Players will nominate five (5) responses to be counted as a low score; low scores will be counted in the style of Think Different, with the objective to provide the least popular answer.
  • Players will nominate two (2) responses to be counted as no score.
2. Every response for a particular answer will be counted for a player's score for that question, regardless of whether a player uses it as a high or low score. If the most popular answer earns 8 responses, and one player elects to use it as a low-score response, that player would receive 8 points.
3. Incorrect high-score responses will receive a score of zero.
4. Incorrect low-score responses will receive a score equal to twice the highest low-scoring value; if the most popular answer earns 8 responses, and one player elects to use it as a low-score response, an incorrect low-score response to that question would be worth 16 points.
5. There are no drops; the two no-score responses effectively serve as passes in this quiz. However, players are highly encouraged to provide a correct answer with their no-score responses, because they will still count among each question's overall score (and for another reason to be explained later).
6. The scoring system is (sum of high-score responses) - (sum of low-score responses) = (aggregate score). Highest aggregate score wins.
7. In the case of a tie, the tiebreaker will go to the player whose two no-score responses are closest to the median response to those questions (a.k.a. the style of the Keynesian Beauty Contest several weeks back).
8. I will not contact players who do not properly allocate their scoring options; I will, however, amend improper entries if it is brought to my attention by the player in question. Here is how improper entries will be handled, without notice:
  • Unequal high/low-scoring responses (ex. 6 high/4 low): every response after the fifth in order will be changed to fulfill the required responses for the other score.
  • Too few scoring responses (ex. 4 high/5 low/3 none): the first no-score response in order will be changed to fulfill the required responses for each score. High scores will take precedent over low scores.
  • Too many scoring responses (ex. 6 high/6 low/0 none): every response after the fifth in order will be changed to fulfill the required responses for no score.
9. As always, use only your own brain; no outside help allowed.
10. Please use this Google Form to submit your responses. This quiz will remain open until 11:59 PM (EDT) on Monday, August 3.

With that, let's press play!
Last edited by 9021amyers on Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 16 times in total.
9021amyers

Re: TD 254: Hi-Fi Hi-Lo

Post by 9021amyers »

Please use this Google Form to submit your responses.

REMEMBER! You're choosing FIVE questions to provide a high-scoring response, FIVE questions to provide a low-scoring response, and TWO questions to provide no score!

https://youtu.be/1kIQT7uUiME

1: Land of Talk - "Some Are Lakes"
Land of Talk is (or was, or may someday again be; the band's status has been a mystery for several years) a Montreal-based band led by singer/guitarist Elizabeth Powell. "Some Are Lakes" was written as a love song from the perspective of Powell's parents. Identify a body of water with "sea" in its name from the satellite images pictured below. (Some are lakes.) Include the letter of the clue in your response. (11 possible answers)
Spoiler
  • D, E, and F require responses more specific than "Mediterranean."
https://youtu.be/wF7sAjVcFJM

2: Wye Oak - "For Prayer"
This indie rock duo is named for the Wye Oak, which until being felled by a thunderstorm in 2002 was the official state tree of their native Maryland. Name a university in either Maryland or Washington, DC, whose athletics program competes at the NCAA Division I level in any sport. Note: the pool of answers includes three University of Maryland schools; a campus location is required for those responses. (14 possible answers)

https://youtu.be/cyQ0-XFAaIE

3: Manchester Orchestra - "Girl Harbor"
Manchester Orchestra's name comes from frontman Andy Hull's love of music originating from the British city of Manchester. While the UK's most famous band hailed from Liverpool, and London is undoubtedly the center of British culture, Manchester makes a serious claim as the heart of British popular music based on the broad array of successful and influential artists the city has fostered over the decades. Identify an artist associated with the Manchester music scene pictured below. Please include the letter of the clue in your response. (12 possible answers)
Spoiler
  • E is also the lead singer of A; the response to A must be the group, and the response to E must be the soloist.
  • J was formed by the members of D, minus D's lead singer; the response to D must be the earlier group, and the response to J must be the later group.
A.

B.

C.

D.

E.

F.

G.

H.

I.

J.

K.

L.
https://youtu.be/HMfprvLp-t8

4: Franz Ferdinand - "All for You, Sophia"
Franz Ferdinand's name was derived from a racehorse members of the band had watched on television. That fact may be lost on listeners first exposed to the band through their debut EP, which features this song about the assassination of the band's namesake (the archduke, not the horse). Name a member of the Central Powers during World War I, or a European country founded in the aftermath of World War I. Note: direct successor states of a Central Power will be counted in the former category. (11 possible answers)

https://youtu.be/xnBjwrRmo2U

5: Sylvan Esso - "Play It Right"
The two members of Sylvan Esso (Amelia Meath and Nick Sanborn) trace their roots to the indie folk scene; naturally, their collaboration would yield an electronic sound. The Standard Oil Company of New Jersey (Esso) renamed itself the Exxon Corporation in 1973, but still uses the Esso brand name in international markets. Identify a brand of gasoline whose logo is pictured below. Please include the letter of the clue in your response. Note: brand names have been removed. (12 possible answers)
Spoiler
  • D and G both have more than one acceptable answer; all correct responses to those logos will count as the same.
A.

B.

C.

D.

E.

F.

G.

H.

I.

J.

K.

L.
https://youtu.be/49eGjbN79W4

6: The Joy Formidable - "Chapter 2"
The Joy Formidable is a power trio from Wales. The only Welsh author I can think of is Dylan Thomas; he was a poet, so he doesn't make a good transition into this question. Identify a well-known novel from the first sentence from the Sparknotes summary of its second chapter. Please include the letter of the clue in your response. (12 possible answers)
Spoiler
  1. "September arrives, and Dill leaves Maycomb to return to the town of Meridian."
  2. "Halfway between West Egg and New York City sprawls a desolate plain, a gray valley where New York’s ashes are dumped."
  3. "Distressed by the news of Ashley’s engagement, Scarlett hurries to the road to wait for her father, who has gone visiting at Twelve Oaks."
  4. "Poirot arrives in Stamboul and checks in at the Tokatlian Hotel."
  5. "En route to Augustus’s house to watch “V for Vendetta,” Hazel comments on the jolting quality of Augustus’s driving."
  6. "When the explorers return, Ralph sounds the conch shell, summoning the boys to another meeting on the beach."
  7. "As the crowd watches, Hester Prynne, a young woman holding an infant, emerges from the prison door and makes her way to a scaffold (a raised platform), where she is to be publicly condemned."
  8. "Ishmael travels from New York to New Bedford, Massachusetts, the whaling capital of the United States."
  9. "Authorities at the workhouse send Oliver to a branch-workhouse for 'juvenile offenders against the poor-laws.'"
  10. "The narrator bids us listen and declares that 'Billy Pilgrim has come unstuck in time.'”
  11. "When he leaves the hospital, Yossarian feels that he is the only one concerned about the senseless war in which millions of young men are bombing each other."
  12. "Winston opens the door fearfully, assuming that the Thought Police have arrived to arrest him for writing in the diary."
https://youtu.be/shYCwb8pu2U

7: Courtney Barnett - "Debbie Downer"
Courtney Barnett was a teenager in Melbourne, Australia, when Rachel Dratch's "Debbie Downer" character first appeared on Saturday Night Live in 2004. That particular sketch, also featuring guest host Lindsay Lohan, gained infamy for the cast members' inability to stay in character. Name a woman who has appeared as a repertory player on Saturday Night Live since the beginning of the 2005-2006 season, Rachel Dratch's last as a cast member. (11 possible responses)

https://youtu.be/B8zqDVaNg6w

8: The Clash - "Koka Kola"
Punk rock's popularity beginning in the late 1970s stemmed from the genre's ability to make politically-charged statements in a short amount of time. In less than two minutes here, the Clash take on corporate culture, the rise of cocaine as the drug of the upper class, and the pervasiveness of soft drink advertising. Name one of the ten best-selling carbonated soft drinks in the United States in 2014, according to the industry journal Beverage Digest. Zero-calorie (or diet) versions of soft drinks are considered separate from their full-calorie counterparts. (10 possible answers)

https://youtu.be/AVYYpNaSs2Y

9: Toad the Wet Sprocket - "All I Want"
The origin of the name of alternative rock band Toad the Wet Sprocket was a Monty Python audio sketch: writer Eric Idle sought to create a band name "...that would be so silly nobody would ever use it," and claims to have nearly driven off the road the first time he heard the band on the radio. Name a theatrically-released film by the Monty Python comedy group, or an album of original material (not compilations) recorded by Monty Python. Note: three Monty Python albums are soundtracks for Monty Python films; the soundtrack album and film will count as the same answer. Live performances are included. (12 possible answers)

https://youtu.be/daa9pZDxfIY

10: Dada - "Dizz Knee Land"
The members of Dada claim their biggest hit song was not inspired by the theme park itself, but by seeing a commercial of Joe Montana saying, "I'm going to Disneyland!" while flipping through television channels. Name a theme park located at any Walt Disney resort property. Note: four Disney parks go by the name "Disneyland" or "Disneyland Park;" any Disneyland response must include the city the resort is identified with. (11 possible answers)

https://youtu.be/BE2zf4-qbG4

11: Beck - "Sissyneck"
Beck's Odelay won the Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album in 1997; he would win the award again three years later for Midnite Vultures. First awarded in 1991, the Best Alternative Album category spent the middle third of its history to date dominated by four artists. Beck, Radiohead, Coldplay, and the White Stripes combined to win the Grammy ten out of thirteen years between 1997 and 2009; they are also the only artists to have won the award multiple times. Name an artist who has won the Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Album once, and only once. Incuded below is a cheat sheet providing the following for each applicable year: whether the winning artist was a solo artist, a duo, or a group of three or more members; the artist's city of origin; and any genres (besides alternative rock or indie rock, which applies to nearly all of them) listed on the winning album's Wikipedia page. You do not need to include the year in your response. (15 possible answers)
Spoiler
1991: Solo (F); Dublin; pop rock
1992: Group; Athens, Georgia; none
1993: Solo (M); Los Angeles; experimental rock, blues rock, industrial rock, folk rock
1994: Group; Dublin; none
1995: Group; Berkeley, California; punk rock, pop punk
1996: Group; Aberdeen, Washington; acoustic rock
1999: Group; New York City; alternative hip hop, rap rock
2005: Group; Chicago; none
2007: Duo; Atlanta; soul, electronic
2010: Group; Paris; synthpop, new wave
2011: Duo; Akron, Ohio; garage rock, blues rock
2012: Group; Eau Claire, Wisconsin; indie folk, baroque pop
2013: Solo (M); Melbourne, Australia; indie pop
2014: Group; New York City; none
2015: Solo (F); Dallas; art rock, art pop, noise pop
https://youtu.be/ZBixa08BPQA

12: Interpol - "NYC"
New York definitely cares about its sports teams. While several other cities have teams in all five major professional leagues (MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, and MLS), New York is the only one that is home to multiple teams in each league. Name a team in any of the five major North American professional sports leagues based in the New York metropolitan area. (11 possible answers)
Last edited by 9021amyers on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Corrections/clarifications

On questions 1, 3, 5, and 6, please include the letter of the clue in your response.

Letters accompanying visual clues on questions 3 and 5 enlarged.

Clue 5-K re-sized to match the other logos.

On question 8, zero-calorie (or diet) versions of soft drinks are considered separate from their full-calorie counterparts.
Last edited by 9021amyers on Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

44 players (final count)
Spoiler
  1. Rackme32
  2. cf22
  3. Abraxas
  4. MarkBarrett
  5. MitchO
  6. geolawyerman
  7. immaf
  8. Gamawire
  9. Category 13
  10. Ryno
  11. quarterrican
  12. Blue Lion
  13. Austin Powers
  14. ElendilPickle
  15. dnbguy
  16. mennoknight
  17. dott888
  18. BigDaddyMatty
  19. TerSch
  20. kebert.xela
  21. squizzle
  22. dinghammer
  23. Vermonter
  24. Peachbox
  25. nightreign
  26. coolcah36
  27. clprez
  28. patkav
  29. brainpower
  30. sillymonkey
  31. barandall800
  32. ihavejeoprosy
  33. econgator
  34. colonialrampage
  35. Caboom
  36. mahatma
  37. Magna
  38. tjconn728
  39. Woof
  40. whatisbishkek
  41. Tabby
  42. Bamaman
  43. goforthetie
  44. goatman
Last edited by 9021amyers on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:01 am, edited 22 times in total.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: TD 254: Hi-Fi Hi-Lo (Questions Posted)

Post by Magna »

For question 8, can you tell us what criteria the industry uses to decide if one soft drink is the same as or different from another? Is it just brand name, or do varieties of the same brand count as different drinks? And if it's the latter, is there some rhyme or reason about which varieties are different, or are they just all counted differently?

Still deciding if I can answer enough questions to play this TD. :)
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Magna wrote:For question 8, can you tell us what criteria the industry uses to decide if one soft drink is the same as or different from another? Is it just brand name, or do varieties of the same brand count as different drinks? And if it's the latter, is there some rhyme or reason about which varieties are different, or are they just all counted differently?

Good catch. Zero-calorie (or diet) versions of soft drinks are listed separately from their full-calorie versions. No various flavors of drink brands (other than the brands' original flavor) are ranked among the top ten, so assume they either didn't make the cut, or are included within the main brand.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

9021amyers wrote:
Magna wrote:For question 8, can you tell us what criteria the industry uses to decide if one soft drink is the same as or different from another? Is it just brand name, or do varieties of the same brand count as different drinks? And if it's the latter, is there some rhyme or reason about which varieties are different, or are they just all counted differently?

Good catch. Zero-calorie (or diet) versions of soft drinks are listed separately from their full-calorie versions. No various flavors of drink brands (other than the brands' original flavor) are ranked among the top ten, so assume they either didn't make the cut, or are included within the main brand.
Thanks!
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

This quiz has been up for almost 24 hours now; here are some statistics gathered from the results thus far.
  • Perfect Play (the hypothetical score of the five largest sheep minus five singletons): 23
  • Largest sheep score: 7
  • Highest high-score percentage for one question: 90.9%
  • Highest low-score percentage for one question: 63.6%
  • Highest no-score percentage for one question: 36.4%
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Thanks for taking me back to my record store days! Dada and Toad remind me of the days where I worked the extra part time job just to get the 35% discount at the store.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

MitchO wrote:Thanks for taking me back to my record store days! Dada and Toad remind me of the days where I worked the extra part time job just to get the 35% discount at the store.
That would put the year around 1992? Let me see what else I can pull from back then...

https://youtu.be/PE5f561Y1x4

Anyway, the perfect play score has shot up despite only a few entries being submitted since my last update. No one has come close to the maximum amount of points thus far, but the way the scores have been trending so far, I'm confident that someone is going to be in that neighborhood by the time this quiz closes!
  • Perfect Play: 29
  • Largest sheep score: 8
  • Largest low-score total for any question: -6
  • Total unused answers remaining: 66
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Yep ('91 - '92) and yep (Screaming Trees).

I'll give ya another one, I've given this little anecdote a couple times when I talk about my music store days. It was May 1991, and we all knew the music industry was stale. I heard the future; a band with a different, driven sound. They killed their local scene with an EP, and the first full major label album was coming out. The video was on MTV, and I was pre-calling it ... they would bring about a wave of bands. Yes, I'll always remember the first time I heard ... God Fodder, from Ned's Atomic Dustbin. :?

(Nevermind came out 4 months later ;) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFxVMfBfQDY
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Missing my two favourite Manchester bands, but I'll let it slide. Just wanted to say something...and hey! There goes the fear! There it goes!
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

mennoknight wrote:Missing my two favourite Manchester bands, but I'll let it slide. Just wanted to say something...and hey! There goes the fear! There it goes!
There are a few people I wish I had up there, but I felt having a more even distribution of artists over time was more important. I want members of this board to be able to recognize at least one of them!
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

9021amyers wrote:
mennoknight wrote:Missing my two favourite Manchester bands, but I'll let it slide. Just wanted to say something...and hey! There goes the fear! There it goes!
There are a few people I wish I had up there, but I felt having a more even distribution of artists over time was more important. I want members of this board to be able to recognize at least one of them!
Yeah, I figure the Venn diagram overlap b/w "Boardies" and people who "can identify Tim Booth" isn't all that big.
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

9021amyers wrote: There are a few people I wish I had up there, but I felt having a more even distribution of artists over time was more important. I want members of this board to be able to recognize at least one of them!
Well, you can't always get what you want.
Teems with quiet fun.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

immaf wrote:
9021amyers wrote: There are a few people I wish I had up there, but I felt having a more even distribution of artists over time was more important. I want members of this board to be able to recognize at least one of them!
Well, you can't always get what you want.
I figured that question (and the Grammy one, also) would be in a cultural blind spot for a few people, just because popular music is like that. As a whole, though, the field has exceeded my expectations thus far. I had questions a couple of weeks ago that fewer than half the entries could provide correct responses to, and nothing is coming remotely close to that level of futility this time out.

The real interesting part so far is that I had considered entering my own responses when I dropped this quiz, but ultimately decided against it. I've been putting my responses in the spreadsheet occasionally, and each time, my answers wouldn't have even put me in the top five!
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

The band whose song is featured first in this TD also happens to be my favorite, which really sucks. It's hard to carry on a conversation about music when you're asked who your favorite artist is, and your response is: "oh, this Canadian band you've probably never heard of; they've seemingly dropped off the face of the earth." I'm not that insufferably hipster!

https://youtu.be/C17MfVoMtZA

Anyway, another update. The high numbers are skyrocketing!
  • Perfect Play: 46
  • Largest sheep score: 14
  • Smallest sheep score: 3
  • Most unused answers available for any question: 7
Last edited by 9021amyers on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
cf22
Valued Contributor

Post by cf22 »

9021amyers wrote:The first band whose song is featured first in this TD also happens to be my favorite, which really sucks. It's hard to carry on a conversation about music when you're asked who your favorite artist is, and your response is: "oh, this Canadian band you've probably never heard of; they've seemingly dropped off the face of the earth." I'm not that insufferably hipster!
Indeed, I hadn't heard of them before this, but listening to the videos you posted and doing some investigating of my own, I really love what I hear. So thank you!
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

cf22 wrote:
9021amyers wrote:The first band whose song is featured first in this TD also happens to be my favorite, which really sucks. It's hard to carry on a conversation about music when you're asked who your favorite artist is, and your response is: "oh, this Canadian band you've probably never heard of; they've seemingly dropped off the face of the earth." I'm not that insufferably hipster!
Indeed, I hadn't heard of them before this, but listening to the videos you posted and doing some investigating of my own, I really love what I hear. So thank you!
Lizzy (singer/guitarist/songwriter...for all intents and purposes, she is the band) performed at a small-town music festival a couple of months ago, which was her first public appearance in four years. The comments for the video of that show take the general tone of "I'm thankful she's still alive," (and I may have been one of those saying that) which gives the idea of how long it's been since any of her fans have made contact.

One more song before I call it a night...

https://youtu.be/IBoVlmuXDzU
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

9021amyers - has your affinity for Canadian Indie rock led you to Alvvays yet? Produced by Chad van Gaalen, with some Rankin-royalty-blood mixed in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV7OVcOHJwg