Wednesday, July 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, July 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by legendneverdies »

opusthepenguin wrote:
econgator wrote:So, McCullough's Australian . Good to know ...
If you're like me, you'll forget. I know this isn't the first time I've learned this factoid. For some reason I always think of The Thorn Birds as taking place on the American prairie somewhere--Willa Cather country. Maybe it was the cover illustration:

The Thorn Birds was a high-rated miniseries back in the days of an at most 30 channel universe in 1983.
FireAntsDefense
This is the Big One

Post by FireAntsDefense »

forzagiersy wrote:Bit of fun for you guys: What does today FJ! have to do with this video?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gODZzSOelss
Hint:
Spoiler
A certain New York Jets OT.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

squizzle wrote: On a non-FJ! note, judges ruling: would "boobish" be accepted for the clue whose answer was "gullible"? The blue-footed booby is a marine bird and boobish means at least something along the lines of what the clue asked (I think, I don't remember the wording).
From Merriam-Webster: "boob (n.) 1: a stupid, awkward person; simpleton. 2: boor; philistine."

I see nothing about being easily swayed by others in that definition.
forzagiersy
Contributor

Post by forzagiersy »

FireAntsDefense wrote:
forzagiersy wrote:Bit of fun for you guys: What does today FJ! have to do with this video?:

Hint:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Bingo! Key said that hearing his name while watching football inspired them to come up with the sketch.

Damn shame Key and Peele are wrapping up the series, but considering all the work they're getting I understand why they're doing it.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

LoLed at the Troy Tulowitzki clue for the Rockies, when he was just traded to the Blue Jays two days ago.
You could've spotted me the Thorn Birds and I still wouldn't have come up with the author. Woulda bet it all on the Belize DD, tho.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

legendneverdies wrote:... back in the days of an at most 30 channel universe in 1983.
I know I'm pretty far away, but I do believe Southern Ontario is in the same universe as you.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

DBear wrote:LoLed at the Troy Tulowitzki clue for the Rockies, when he was just traded to the Blue Jays two days ago.
I was waiting for a caption to come up at the bottom stating that the clue was correct at the time of taping. When I saw that category I thought, "There's only 8 of those teams; I'll run this" and yet I blanked on the $1000 clue.
Prayers are requested for the safety of Vermonter's liver. I propose that in order to take the online test, you first have to pass a few wagering scenario questions. Are you reading this, TPTB?
I had $27,800 (37 right, 3 negs). No guess on Final, but I wouldn't have bet all but $14 or $200 on it. I might've stuck with $4000 from any position.
Hoping for a third lap
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

opusthepenguin wrote:This is now the third Jennifer Morgan to have appeared on the show. She is the only Jennifer Morgan to have had a shot at winning going into FJ. (The first, who was in my A.P. English class back in ought-eighty-two and eighty-three, came up against a buzz saw who put together a decisive runaway. The second was in the red when the buzzer sounded.) She threw it all away just to make me look ridiculous. And a penguin in my position can't afford to be made to look ridiculous. Well, ok, I can. But still....
When I saw "Season 20" (from the Archive link) and your description of "buzz saw" for the champion of the first Ms. Morgan's game, I had a guess about who the champion was in that game. I thought that I was probably right, but I was wrong. :o
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Ugh. Uggh.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, let this be an object lesson. In a game this close, third place MUST wager small. If you can't do the math, zero is acceptable. First and second, wager only what you need to beat the player immediately behind you with a correct response.
DBear wrote:LoLed at the Troy Tulowitzki clue for the Rockies, when he was just traded to the Blue Jays two days ago.
Considering how evanescent the relationships between teams and players can be, I wonder that more clues like this don't become incorrect by air time. For the record, he was traded to a team that has won the Series twice, so in effect it is now a clue without a correct response.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Budphrey wrote:Ugh. Uggh.

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, let this be an object lesson. In a game this close, third place MUST wager small. If you can't do the math, zero is acceptable. First and second, wager only what you need to beat the player immediately behind you with a correct response.
Considering how evanescent the relationships between teams and players can be, I wonder that more clues like this don't become incorrect by air time. For the record, he was traded to a team that has won the Series twice, so in effect it is now a clue without a correct response.
No, it's not, because it was asking for the team he started the season with. If he'd been on the DL when the season opened, that would have been cause for debate, perhaps.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

Rose (2), African (4), World (4), President (2), Fortune (2), "U" (2)
Animal (3), Cold (2), Ind (4), Movie (4), "I.C." (3), Dead (4)

Lach Trash: "True Grit, "Belize"- DD

Once I saw it, I remembered seeing her name on the Wikipedia deaths page, but couldn't recall her or the book beforehand.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

sarisson wrote:
I was waiting for a caption to come up at the bottom stating that the clue was correct at the time of taping.
Unless things have changed, postproduction for tonight's episode would have been completed before Tulo was traded.
My local J! affiliate would receive a week's worth of shows at once via satellite. When I was in its studio to tape an interview prior to my ToC appearance, I was able to watch my game (and sneak a look at the next one).

As for tonight's FJ, I immediately thought of Colleen McCullers. Wait a second; McCullers wrote "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter," not "The Thorn Birds," and her first name was Carson. Couldn't pull the correct last name in time.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

forzagiersy wrote:
FireAntsDefense wrote:

Hint:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Bingo! Key said that hearing his name while watching football inspired them to come up with the sketch.

Damn shame Key and Peele are wrapping up the series, but considering all the work they're getting I understand why they're doing it.
I’m missing the connection to FJ. Regardless, it’s fun to hear that T’Variusness King went to my alma mater, where we didn’t even get a football team until my junior year.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

You could've spotted me the Thorn Birds and I still wouldn't have come up with the author. Woulda bet it all on the Belize DD, tho.
It was yesterday, but yeah.

And what was wrong with the "coolant" response instead of antifreeze?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

nserven wrote: I’m missing the connection to FJ. Regardless, it’s fun to hear that T’Variusness King went to my alma mater, where we didn’t even get a football team until my junior year.
Key and Peele came up with the sketch when they heard the name of Jets LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who was named after a character in The Thorn Birds.
Leander

Post by Leander »

legendneverdies wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
econgator wrote:So, McCullough's Australian . Good to know ...
If you're like me, you'll forget. I know this isn't the first time I've learned this factoid. For some reason I always think of The Thorn Birds as taking place on the American prairie somewhere--Willa Cather country. Maybe it was the cover illustration:

The Thorn Birds was a high-rated miniseries back in the days of an at most 30 channel universe in 1983.
I was thinking this was a FJ that would have been more likely to have been gotten 20 years ago, given how McCullough dropped off the map since then .
Last edited by Leander on Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Did anyone notice that the “re-recorded” disclaimer was different today? It said “Some of Alex’s audio was re-recorded when his voice recovered.”

Ran All About “U”.

Wind Chill was overvalued at $2000.

Failing to come up with the first half of “integrated circuit” left me at 4/5 on “IC”. Also NHO Oxford shoes, so ended up 4/5 there too.

No guess on FJ! Neither Colleen McCullough nor The Thorn Birds sounds even remotely familiar to me.

…okay, If I can recognize a stupid wager, then it was a stupid wager.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

opusthepenguin wrote:Where do we contribute to the Keith Williams Liquor Replenishment Fund? Dude was down to coffee last I checked. COFFEE!!! That ain't gonna cut it after these wagers.
http://www.gofundme.com/TheFinalWager
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Budphrey wrote:Ugh. Uggh.

MitchO, 24 July wrote:When his bet was revealed, I said to my gf "Nope, that's not right. You're betting that TWO other people both get the FJ wrong?"

And then it happened. :o We got it right here, briefly considering Isle of Man.
And yet... :D
Budphrey wrote:
It's rare that a player of the calibre that J! would bother namedropping would be traded mid season.
But the Rockies aren't like most teams...

I saw the FJ, I panicked, because I knew it, but I just couldn't pull it up. The name McCullough was easily recallable tho, due to David M-'s appearance on The Daily Show Monday. It didn't feel 100% right, but I knew the name I was looking for started with Mc...

I'm almost embarrassed being able to check the correct box for Wednesday come Saturday.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TerSch
Contributor

Post by TerSch »

nserven wrote:
forzagiersy wrote:
FireAntsDefense wrote:

Hint:
Spoiler
Spoiler

I’m missing the connection to FJ. Regardless, it’s fun to hear that T’Variusness King went to my alma mater, where we didn’t even get a football team until my junior year.
Connection is that he was named for one of the principal characters in the book/miniseries. His first name is a creative reinterpretation of the character's last name.