Thursday, July 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Re: Thursday, July 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bomtr »

dhkendall wrote:
For the "Plumb ___" clue, I immediately thought. "Oh, plumb line! Wait, "line" isn't a name! Wait, yes it is! It's the French form of Lynn!" I run across it from time to time, possibly the most famous Line in Canada was an RCMP spokeswoman who graced the TVs of news junkies like me for years, I immediately thought of her name when I remembered "Line" was a name. I thought, however, that "Line" wasn't what they were looking for, and clammed as "Bob" wasn't coming to me, but I think I would have had a chance had I rung in with it!
Can't decide whether this is a subtle joke or you're living in a dream world. Let's remember you're answering this aloud and wonder just how you'd pronounce the French name 'Line.' Don't think that goes with plumb...

Won't be sure until archive up but picked up so much trash in this one it could be a win from the fourth podium.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

bomtr wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
For the "Plumb ___" clue, I immediately thought. "Oh, plumb line! Wait, "line" isn't a name! Wait, yes it is! It's the French form of Lynn!" I run across it from time to time, possibly the most famous Line in Canada was an RCMP spokeswoman who graced the TVs of news junkies like me for years, I immediately thought of her name when I remembered "Line" was a name. I thought, however, that "Line" wasn't what they were looking for, and clammed as "Bob" wasn't coming to me, but I think I would have had a chance had I rung in with it!
Can't decide whether this is a subtle joke or you're living in a dream world. Let's remember you're answering this aloud and wonder just how you'd pronounce the French name 'Line.' Don't think that goes with plumb...

Won't be sure until archive up but picked up so much trash in this one it could be a win from the fourth podium.
Is Loco a name?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:
brick wrote:
Rafferty Barnes wrote:I noticed Andy looking to the left at the scores near the end of the game and not ringing in on the final when he couldn't be caught. Its nice to see someone who came to play and understands wagering.
I noticed that too. Good for him.
Not that good. $16,200 minus $2,000 is still greater than $4,500 plus $2,000, times two. He was perfectly safe to ring in at that point.
Fair enough. But do you trust yourself to not screw up that math after only a glance at the scores while the game swirls on around you? Me, if I see that I have a lock in that situation, I'm not buzzing in. There'll be plenty of time watching the game on TV to yell at myself about how I threw away $2000.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

kristinsausville wrote:I feel like baseball-related clues and categories came up over and over again this season, or at least it felt like it during my games, since I don't know the subject well. Then we had a baseball category yesterday and baseball FJ today?
End of season, maybe? They try to plan the games and space out similar clues and categories. Then they get to the end and throw in what's left and say, ah, screw it.

Either that or confirmation bias. I notice/remember this kind of thing more at season's end because it fits a hypothesis.

Oh well. Just over six weeks until I can start blaming stuff on the NEW season. :D
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

OrangeSAM wrote:Mrs OS's eyes lit up when she saw that dialysis machine. In the sixties she was involved a case where the patient had overdosed on a sleeping pill which was fat soluble, not within the capabilities of the standard dialysis machines of the time. From the basement they dragged up that machine. They then scrounged up the olive oil supply from local groceries and used it to fill the basin of that old machine and filter out the drug. She adds that the patient did survive.
That is cool and scary at the same time. I wonder why the standard dialysis machine couldn't handle something that this dinosaur could. I wonder how they remembered the existence of the old machine and why they thought it might work. And I wonder why it needed olive oil. I'd love to read a good magazine article about this one. Even your executive summary is just fascinating, so thanks for posting it, and thank Mrs OS on my behalf. (After you butter her up with that, see if she knows the answers to my questions. :) )
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

OrangeSAM wrote:The $400 clue in California Counties made me froth once again over Arte Moreno's decision to put "Los Angeles" in the team name.
You and me both, buddy. Dishonest and disrespectful. I was so happy when the Angels took the title in '02. They'd been my team for over 30 years by that point. Then Moreno pulled that renaming stunt, weaseling out of their contract on a technicality and sending a big "screw you" to all the fans that brought them to the dance. That's when they stopped being my team.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

dexterG wrote:Since I live just outside Phoenix, FJ was too easy. I had, What is one of the worst teams in baseball?
Ha! Mrs P said, "Who are the D-bags?"
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:Mrs OS's eyes lit up when she saw that dialysis machine. In the sixties she was involved a case where the patient had overdosed on a sleeping pill which was fat soluble, not within the capabilities of the standard dialysis machines of the time. From the basement they dragged up that machine. They then scrounged up the olive oil supply from local groceries and used it to fill the basin of that old machine and filter out the drug. She adds that the patient did survive.
That is cool and scary at the same time. I wonder why the standard dialysis machine couldn't handle something that this dinosaur could. I wonder how they remembered the existence of the old machine and why they thought it might work. And I wonder why it needed olive oil. I'd love to read a good magazine article about this one. Even your executive summary is just fascinating, so thanks for posting it, and thank Mrs OS on my behalf. (After you butter her up with that, see if she knows the answers to my questions. :) )
This sounds like a job for Smithsonian Magazine.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

brick wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Did you just say that in a deep booming voice? What happens now? Do you duck into a phone booth, button your shirt, put on a tie and some thick black-rimmed glasses and seek out a typewriter?
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

dhkendall wrote:

"Anglican church" = "Church of England", correct?
IMHO Church of England >>> BMS; "Right, then Bob's yer uncle!" :twisted:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote:
brick wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Did you just say that in a deep booming voice? What happens now? Do you duck into a phone booth, button your shirt, put on a tie and some thick black-rimmed glasses and seek out a typewriter?
ssshhhhhhhh!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Since you asked, I'll flesh this out a bit.

My wife was enrolled at the Henry Ford Hospital School of Nursing in 1967. (Yes, she saw Detroit burning from the roof of the Hospital.) Since the dorms were on or near the hospital grounds, it was easy to pull in a student nurse when you needed an extra set of hands, which is how she got called in several hours into the procedure.

My wife remembers the patient was a Vietnam veteran and an older man, perhaps an officer and/or a pilot. In the evening, he had overdosed on a sleep drug which was more soluble in fats than water. (She finally remembered which one: Doriden.) So a treatment plan was drawn up to use olive oil (liquid fat) to draw the drug out of the blood. The dialysis machines they were using were aqueous. Their main purpose was to clean waste from the bloodstream, not drugs. Someone mentioned the older machine. In '67, it wasn't that far out of date and, apparently, some folks remembered using it. It was brought in because it could handle olive oil. It didn't need the olive oil, but could handle it. I asked if viscosity was an issue, but she said no.

The next hurdle was getting enough olive oil. There weren't any 24-hour markets in downtown Detroit, so calls were made to grocery owners and managers at their homes and folks were dispatched to pick up gallon cans. The Detroit PD may have even gone on a run or two.

Once hooked up, the patient stabilized over a span of several hours. At this point Mrs OS was called in to relieve the dialysis nurse. Her job was to monitor vital signs. She was working with a resident who was monitoring the machine. She later saw the patient again on her regular stint in the ICU. He'd improved greatly and would later be released.

On the internet tonight, she found reference to an article from 1970 which stated that dialysis, with or without oil, had not been show to be effective. So maybe it worked or maybe it didn't.
Last edited by OrangeSAM on Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCSam
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

goatman wrote: St Albans VT >Wars of the Roses (!)
Casa Del Jefe is 3 miles from said town. I can assure you unless you hear /ALL-bins/ they are not talking about VT. (and in true rural clipped speech it is known as S'n'a'bans). Of course Alex has the right to be wrong, but his Saint /all-banes/ (I think) firmly puts it abroad. (We have still not forgiven Norm Macdonald for /ver-GINNIES/ instead of /ver-GENZ/)

We *did* host the northernmost conflict in the Civil War. *checks J! Archive* not even in there. We had some Reb horse-thievery, bank robbery and arson on the way to Canadia. It's actually an interesting story- many of the participants/traitors actually became reputable citizens eventually (the court cases and international jurisdiction kerfuffles are very cool too) They shot a Reb sympathizer on the way out, which I guess we figured was a sort of service.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

OrangeSAM wrote:Once hooked up, the patient stabilized over a span of several hours. At this point Mrs OS was called in to relieve the dialysis nurse. Her job was to monitor vital signs. She was working with a resident who was monitoring the machine. She later saw the patient again on her regular stint in the ICU. He'd improved greatly and would later be released.
Wow! Thanks for the extra detail.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

opusthepenguin wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:Once hooked up, the patient stabilized over a span of several hours. At this point Mrs OS was called in to relieve the dialysis nurse. Her job was to monitor vital signs. She was working with a resident who was monitoring the machine. She later saw the patient again on her regular stint in the ICU. He'd improved greatly and would later be released.
You're welcome.

I've edited it since you read it to add the name of the drug and my wife's research on the effectiveness of this treatment.
OCSam
billiej

Post by billiej »

El Jefe wrote:
goatman wrote: St Albans VT >Wars of the Roses (!)
I can assure you unless you hear /ALL-bins/ they are not talking about VT. .
Or Maine, for that matter. ;)

I took a stab at this one based on "York" and was pleasantly surprised to grab some LT.
brick

Post by brick »

OrangeSAM wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
You're welcome.

I've edited it since you read it to add the name of the drug and my wife's research on the effectiveness of this treatment.
Thank you. That was interesting.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

opusthepenguin wrote:Then Moreno pulled that renaming stunt, weaseling out of their contract on a technicality and sending a big "screw you" to all the fans that brought them to the dance. That's when they stopped being my team.
They never call them "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" at Angel Stadium (just "Angels"), but I just saw them visiting the Dodgers -- they were definitely referred to by their full name at Dodger Stadium!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

trainman wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Then Moreno pulled that renaming stunt, weaseling out of their contract on a technicality and sending a big "screw you" to all the fans that brought them to the dance. That's when they stopped being my team.
They never call them "The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim" at Angel Stadium (just "Angels"), but I just saw them visiting the Dodgers -- they were definitely referred to by their full name at Dodger Stadium!
Yep. They spurned their home town in the hopes they could hang with the cool kids. The cool kids just snicker and think of ways to prank them, but they're too proud and stubborn to apologize to their former friends.

Well, I pronounce a curse on them! The Curse of the Penguin. (Billy goats got nothin' on me.) The Angels will never go to the Super Bowl until they remove the "Los Angeles" from their name. That's right. You heard it here first, folks.
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

opusthepenguin wrote:
brick wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
The weird thing is, as soon as he puts on the glasses and tie, the deep booming voice turns into a thinner, reedy voice by the time he says "Smithsonian".
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.