For the LLamas Among Us

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: For the LLamas Among Us

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

A boy named sue
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:A boy named sue
... which was written by ... ?
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

This Is Kirk! wrote:Shocked so many people knew what George RR Martin (and does he really need the RR?) looks like.
There's a Commander of the British Empire named George Martin. He was a producer for some music group called The Beatles.

I was surprised after watching Blade Runner to discover Daryl Hannah and Sean Young were actresses.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

silverscreentest wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:Shocked so many people knew what George RR Martin (and does he really need the RR?) looks like.
There's a Commander of the British Empire named George Martin. He was a producer for some music group called The Beatles.

I was surprised after watching Blade Runner to discover Daryl Hannah and Sean Young were actresses.
So is Michael Learned
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
ihavejeoprosy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

alietr wrote:

Mind blown. Now that i think about it, maybe a boy named sue is an allegory of shel silversteins life
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
alietr wrote:

Mind blown. Now that i think about it, maybe a boy named sue is an allegory of shel silversteins life
Let's hope not cause the second part of 'a boy named sue' is messed up like a late Hapsburg royal.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

dhkendall wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:

So is Michael Learned
I'm pretty sure Michael Learned has passed on; I doubt she is surprised by anything now.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:

So is Michael Learned
I'm pretty sure Michael Learned has passed on; I doubt she is surprised by anything now.
Still alive at 76.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ralph Waite died last year, perhaps that is who you are thinking about.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

alietr wrote:I was also thinking Einstein, but I didn't remember a rest area being named for him.
The Albert Einstein rest stop isn't visible till you hit 300,000 km/sec.
In and out of the pool four times
LingonberryTart
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by LingonberryTart »

I'm a baby llama! Just got my invite and registered today.
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

Yesterday I learned that the White House was constructed 20+ years before the building it replaced was burned down.
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

My best day of the American Places Mini-League comes against a fellow boardie.

Sorry, jjwaymee, that vision of Flushing Meadows was burned in my memory banks. (The Simpsons one, not the real one.)
Sheepin' it real.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

reddpen wrote:
alietr wrote:I was also thinking Einstein, but I didn't remember a rest area being named for him.
The Albert Einstein rest stop isn't visible till you hit 300,000 km/sec.
:::slow clap:::
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I posted a similar query on the LL forum, but I'll repeat it here. How did so many people know the Portland question on the JI American Place ML yesterday? Since I live in the PNW it was a gimme, but I figured this one could be tough for those outside this corner of the country.
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I posted a similar query on the LL forum, but I'll repeat it here. How did so many people know the Portland question on the JI American Place ML yesterday? Since I live in the PNW it was a gimme, but I figured this one could be tough for those outside this corner of the country.
I've been to Portland so it helped, but Powell's is very well known nationally.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I posted a similar query on the LL forum, but I'll repeat it here. How did so many people know the Portland question on the JI American Place ML yesterday? Since I live in the PNW it was a gimme, but I figured this one could be tough for those outside this corner of the country.
Admittedly, I'm not in the MiniLeague, but I've been playing along and I got that question right, so I'm just going to admit that I guessed. I have been to Portland, though briefly (not long enough to be familiar with any of those places), and I definitely know Portland's reputation as a city. The log-cutting images sent me to somewhere woodsy/rugged, and the bookstore and Feminist Community Center led me to a place that's known for being hip and progressive. I thought, "where else could it be?"
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

A lumberjack at a soccer match-->Portland Timbers (somewhat lucky; I don't know all of the MLS team names, but that one has stuck.)

I would've been completely clueless on the other two photos.
Sheepin' it real.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I get Powell's Daily Dose email, and I knew of the store before that because I love books.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A lumberjack led me to Oregon and the other two pictures seemed to fit in with Portland's eclectic reputation.