Think Different 255: Now Trending on Twitter (Final scores revealed!)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Think Different 255: Now Trending on Twitter (Final scores revealed!)

Post by nightreign »

Welcome to the 255th installment in the House of Think Different! I tend to spend way (way way) too much time on Twitter, so I figured I'd channel that into my latest TD theme. Very little actual knowledge of Twitter is required.

Henceforth lay the rules, which I mostly copied from my previous TD:
1. Submit your answers to me via this Google Form https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1fiOac6 ... =send_form by Monday, August 10 at noon Eastern time. If you’d like a confirmation of your responses, zip me a PM. If you don't use the form, I would be happy to put your responses in for you, but your submission order will be bumped down to whenever I get around to putting your answers in.
2. No cheating! You may not get help from other people or do research in any way; however, if you stumble across an answer before you submit, you’re welcome to use it.
3. Do NOT post your answers in this thread. You may ask for clarifications if they don’t give anything away – if you’re unsure, just PM me.
4. The object of the game is to get as many correct answers as possible while avoiding other players. Correct answers will be worth the number of people (including you) who gave an answer; incorrect responses will be worth the TWEEP score plus 5.
5. You will have two helps, each of which may only be used once:
FAIL WHALE: This option will give you a score of zero on one question.
RETWEET: This option will give you the same score as the most popular answer (TWEEP) on one question.
6. You are welcome to change your answer at any time by PMing me with the answer you wish to change. This will not affect your score, however, it will change your submission time to the time of your last change.
7. Tiebreakers are by number of singletons, then number of correct answers, then submission order.
8. This quiz consists of 10 questions and four bonuses. A correct answer on a bonus question will take one point off your score. There is no penalty for an incorrect answer on the bonus. Two of the bonuses require a correct answer on the previous question and two do not - these will be labelled.

NOTE: I will be out of town Thursday-Sunday (August 6-9). I will still have internet access, so I can answer all of your questions, comments, and concerns, but I might be slower in getting to them than I normally would. Additionally, I likely won't have my computer, so I may not get around to updating the entrants list or PMing people's responses. Rest assured, however, I will get to it right when I get back on Sunday afternoon, and the reveal will start on Monday as planned. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Last edited by nightreign on Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 9 times in total.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Re: Think Different 255: Now Trending on Twitter

Post by nightreign »

1. #ff
#ff, or Follow Friday, is a way for Twitter users to direct their followers to other people they may enjoy following. When doing a Follow Friday, a Twitter user will tag some of their favorite accounts with the hashtag #ff, so that their followers can easily see their accounts and follow them.

Name the current leader of one of the following countries. No need to provide the letter. (10 answers)

a. United States (president)
b. Canada (prime minister)
c. North Korea (supreme leader)
d. Egypt (president)
e. United Kingdom (prime minister)
f. Iran (supreme leader)
g. Japan (prime minster)
h. France (president)
i. Germany (chancellor)
j. Mexico (president)

2. #np
#np, or Now Playing, is a way for Twitter users to introduce their followers to songs that they like, usually by listing the song to which they are currently listening and the artist, with the hashtag #np.

Name the band or singer of one of the following songs that hit the top 15 of the Billboard Hot 100 since Twitter was founded on March 21, 2006. You do not need to include the letter. (10 answers)
NOTE: Some of these songs have featured artists. I'm looking for the main artist only.
a. Paradise (#15, 2011)
b. Life is a Highway (#7, 2006)
c. Drunk In Love (#2, 2013)
d. Don’t Stop the Music (#3, 2007)
e. Talk Dirty (#3, 2014)
f. Gangnam Style (#2, 2012)
g. Stop and Stare (#12, 2008)
h. Sugar (#2, 2015)
i. Gives You Hell (#4, 2009)
j. Telephone (#3, 2010)
BONUS: name another song by the artist you selected to get one point off your score. This bonus requires a correct answer on the previous question.

3. #JeopardyLiveTweet
One of the most fun things to do on Twitter is live-tweet an event, and what better event to live-tweet than everyone's favorite quiz show?

Name one of the players in the last Tournament of Champions in November 2014, or the alternate. (16 answers)

4. #USA
#USA is a commonly used hashtag in worldwide sporting events, such as the World Cup or the Olympics. It has become especially popular ever since Twitter added a flag emoji to the hashtag every time it was used.

Name a sport in which the US won a gold medal in the 2012 Summer Olympics. (15 answers)
(Note: “Sport” is distinct from “event” as follows – “Snowboarding” is a sport, “men’s slopestyle” is an event. I’m looking for “snowboarding” in that case. Men's and women's sports will be considered the same for the purpose of this question.)
BONUS: Name one of these gold medalists.

5. #tbt
#tbt, or Throwback Thursday, is many people's favorite way of posting embarrassing pictures of themselves on the internet. The idea is to post a picture of yourself from long ago, for your followers to see you in a new light.

Name the decade in which one of the following events happened. You DO need the letter in this case! (10 answers)

a. The Israelis and Arabs fight for control of Palestine in the Six-Day War
b. The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire in New York City ushers in new discussion about workers’ rights
c. The Articles of Confederation, a precursor to the United States Constitution, is ratified
d. The first British North America Act (also called the Constitution Act), sets the framework for Canadian government
e. Many students protest a lack of freedom in China’s Tiananmen Square, causing some parts of the capital to come under martial law
f. Adolf Hitler gains control as the Chancellor of Germany
g. The 21st amendment, which repeals the earlier amendment of Prohibition, is ratified
h. Dr. Jonas Salk develops the first effective polio vaccine
i. South Sudan officially gains independence from Sudan
j. Alexander Graham Bell makes the first-ever successful phone call

BONUS: Name the exact year of the event you selected. This bonus requires a correct answer on the previous question.

6. #amwriting
#amwriting is especially common during the month of November, during NaNoWriMo. It's a hashtag generally used by writers to refer to what they're working on or to provide context for their writing-related tweets.

Name the author of one of the following books turned into a movie (or movies). Please include the letter. (10 answers)

a. Paper Towns
b. The Longest Ride
c. The Help
d. The Hobbit
e. The Great Gatsby
f. The Perks of Being a Wallflower
g. If I Stay
h. Gone Girl
i. My Sister’s Keeper
j. Ender’s Game

7. #fbf
#fbf, or Flashback Friday, is basically Throwback Thursday, for those who didn't realize that it wasn't Thursday.

Name one of the following former child/teen stars. Please include the letter of your answer. (10 answers)
Spoiler
a. Image
b. Image
c. Image
d. Image
e. Image
f. Image
g. Image (both names, please)
h. Image
i.Image
j. Image
8. #BlueMoon
Here's a recent one! When July nearly had a blue moon, the topic became trending on Twitter, certainly not the first scientific phenomenon to get a lot of internet attention.

Name one of the phases of the moon, the number of days it takes to complete a full moon cycle, or the first space mission that sent humans to the moon. (10 answers)

9. #TheDress
You may remember back in February, when a picture of a dress broke the internet. Even on Jboard, people were talking about it. It has become a meme and pop culture reference, and many groan just hearing the words "The Dress."

Choose one of the following options (no letter required): (10 answers)
a. Name one of the four alleged colors of the infamous Dress.
b. On the same day, another story broke about a chase in Arizona involving two animals escaped from a ranch. Name the type of animal.
c. Again on the same day, internet debate was raging about net neutrality. Name the government agency that handles net neutrality complaints. Full name please, not the acronym.
d. Name the social media website on which the mystery of The Dress originally broke.
e. 1.8 million people voted in a poll about The Dress on a notorious “social news” website known for its quizzes. Name this website.
f. In March, the South African branch of an international Christian charity organization used The Dress in an ad against domestic violence, with the slogan “Why is it so hard to see black and blue?” Name this organization.
g. Another popular internet meme that supposedly “broke the internet” was a picture of Alex, an attractive retail employee. Name the store at which he worked.

10. #SaidNoOneEver
#SaidNoOneEver is a hashtag generally used to express things which are unpopular across the population. To my dismay, many of these tweets were along the lines of "Math is super fun! #SaidNoOneEver" In that spirit...

Name one of the following math terms. Give the letter, please! (9 answers)

a. a quantity with both direction and magnitude
b. a quantity describing the distance of a number from zero, without regards to direction
c. a function such that both the numerator and denominator are polynomials
d. a prime number that is one less than a power of two
e. the long-run average value of repetitions of an experiment
f. OPTION THROWN OUT. Please do not answer.
g. a polyhedron with 20 faces
h. an abstract surface of infinite length and width, but zero thickness
i. one of the numbers in the following integer sequence: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21…
j. the mathematical constant that is the ratio of a circle’s circumference to its diameter

BONUS: What is the character limit for Tweets? No prior correct answers are required for this bonus.
Last edited by nightreign on Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:06 pm, edited 14 times in total.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Clarifications

10i is looking for the term that describes any number in said series. It is not asking for a number in the series.
The medalist you must name for the Olympics bonus does not have to be in your selected sport, it just has to be someone who won a gold medal for Team USA at the 2012 Olympics.
Last edited by nightreign on Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Entrants (39):
Spoiler
MarkBarrett
cf22
9021amyers
dnbguy
MitchO
gamawire
Abraxas
Peachbox
Ryno
quarterrican
ElendilPickle
Lumosityfan (check your PMs)
ouachiouat
kebert.xela
immaf
patkav
Rackme32
Caboom
Blue Lion
dragonscale333
goatman
Vermonter
dhkendall
dott888
geolawyerman
mahatma
econgator
Ivorians
nklotz
tjconn728
clprez
colonialrampage
brainpower
jjwaymee
jeffwolfe
Bamaman
xxaaaxx
goforthetie
squizzle
Last edited by nightreign on Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:11 am, edited 11 times in total.
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

Will we have the opportunity to respond with humorous one-liners, in the style of @midnight? Will there be plentiful usage of GIFs like this?

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

nightreign wrote:or the first space shuttle that put humans on the moon. (10 answers)
Did I miss something ....?
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

econgator wrote:
nightreign wrote:or the first space shuttle that put humans on the moon. (10 answers)
Did I miss something ....?
Fixed.
mahatma

Re: Think Different 255: Now Trending on Twitter (Questions now posted)

Post by mahatma »

10. i. does this ask for the term describing any number in that series, or for any number in the series? I think it's the former, but wanted to clarify.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

mahatma wrote:10. i. does this ask for the term describing any number in that series, or for any number in the series? I think it's the former, but wanted to clarify.
The former.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

i. one of the numbers in the following integer sequence: 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21…

You want: A) The name of the sequence, B) what you would call one of the numbers in this sequence, or C) a number that shows up in this sequence?

Never mind, that's what I get for leaving the reply window open for a few minutes. :p
gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by gamawire »

nightreign wrote:
4. #USA
#USA is a commonly used hashtag in worldwide sporting events, such as the World Cup or the Olympics. It has become especially popular ever since Twitter added a flag emoji to the hashtag every time it was used.

Name a sport in which the US won a gold medal in the 2012 Summer Olympics. (15 answers)
(Note: “Sport” is distinct from “event” as follows – “Snowboarding” is a sport, “men’s slopestyle” is an event. I’m looking for “snowboarding” in that case. Men's and women's sports will be considered the same for the purpose of this question.)
Does the medalist you name need to be from the sport you choose? I don't read the question that way, but I want to clarify before submitting. Thanks!
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

gamawire wrote:
nightreign wrote:
4. #USA

Does the medalist you name need to be from the sport you choose? I don't read the question that way, but I want to clarify before submitting. Thanks!
No, the medalist can be from any sport.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

nightreign wrote:f. the ratio of the opposite and adjacent angles of a triangle
Ratio of angles?
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Image C for question 7 appears to be broken.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

9021amyers wrote:Image C for question 7 appears to be broken.
I can see the image on my computer. Perhaps someone more skilled at technical things than I could troubleshoot this? If you want, I could PM you the image.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

nightreign wrote:
I can see the image on my computer. Perhaps someone more skilled at technical things than I could troubleshoot this? If you want, I could PM you the image.
I am also unable to see the third image.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

mahatma wrote:
nightreign wrote:
Are you seeing a link with image tags?
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

nightreign wrote:
I think IMDb blocks external image links. It's probably cached on your computer.

You should save the image and upload it to imgur.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

nightreign wrote:
mahatma wrote:
nightreign wrote:
Are you seeing a link with image tags?
Okay, found a workaround. In Chrome, I right-click and choose 'Inspect Element'. I choose to open the image link in a new tab, and the image of
Spoiler
NICE TRY!
comes up. I'm not sure why the img doesn't display properly for me. It's the second TD with which I've had this problem, but the other one worked fine once I was out from behind my work firewall.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I posted a new image for 7C. Does this one work?