New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:Good grief. January 10, 1989 is filled in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4996
I wonder if one could've gotten away with Ken Jennings' trick on this FJ and just provided the last name.
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Animfan1 uploaded the recently archived 1/10/89 and the not yet archived 1/11/89 episode to their Dailymotion page.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

legendneverdies wrote:Animfan1 uploaded the recently archived 1/10/89 and the not yet archived 1/11/89 episode to their Dailymotion page.
I have 1/12/89 and 1/13/89 to do, so someone else is welcome to hit that gap with the 1/11/89 game while it's available online.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added March 28, 1989: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4997

I think I hear sirens.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

^Looks like that game was a loss for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second place player bet big.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote:I added March 28, 1989: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4997

I think I hear sirens.
Odd the FJ state came up in another clue.

That is interesting international trivia at $500. I never knew that city is British. Someone should tell them.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:That is interesting international trivia at $500. I never knew that city is British. Someone should tell them.
It's not an English city, but it's certainly a British one.
schfiftythree628
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by schfiftythree628 »

Hi, there. Could somebody by any chance get the 4/5/1990 episode archived, or what's available of it? It's on YouTube, and I'm the original uploader.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:That is interesting international trivia at $500. I never knew that city is British. Someone should tell them.
No. It's not British. It is, however, part of the UK (which is short for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). It's in the Northern Ireland part; not the British part.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
econgator wrote:
No. It's not British. It is, however, part of the UK (which is short for the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland). It's in the Northern Ireland part; not the British part.

Brian
OK, then, what is the demonym for people and things from the UK? Looking it up, the accepted demonym for the UK is "British". May not be 100% correct, but it is the accepted demonym.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

I don't know any people from Belfast who call themselves 'British' (and, yes, I know several people in the area). And I don't know if I've ever heard a Scotsman or a Welshman call himself 'British' either.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:I don't know any people from Belfast who call themselves 'British' (and, yes, I know several people in the area). And I don't know if I've ever heard a Scotsman or a Welshman call himself 'British' either.

Brian
Doesn't matter what they call themselves, they hold British citizenship by birth.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
bpmod wrote:I don't know any people from Belfast who call themselves 'British' (and, yes, I know several people in the area). And I don't know if I've ever heard a Scotsman or a Welshman call himself 'British' either.

Brian
Doesn't matter what they call themselves, they hold British citizenship by birth.
Agreed (I have a friend that I grew up with that was born in Belfast who has mentioned his British citizenship and passport before.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

March 29, 1989 is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4998

During story time with Hugh (U.S. Air Force contract negotiator) Alex brought up $400 hammers and Hugh cracked about getting them at $375. :)

Alex mentioned (he had mentioned in the previous game as well) that Craig had won $999 in his first game.

Anyone want a research assignment? 1988 $200: Bone, Crossbeak & Bonnet, or, as the Eskimos called them, Pontu, Siku & Kannick

It's been a few years since I've seen Big Miracle and in refreshing the facts online I saw spellings of Poutu and Puku for the first Eskimo name. The clue definitely had "Pontu", but I do not want to make an erratum in error.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

schfiftythree628 wrote:Hi, there. Could somebody by any chance get the 4/5/1990 episode archived, or what's available of it? It's on YouTube, and I'm the original uploader.
It has been added.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5004

The episode began as the interviews started. Alex did mention both challengers' full names. I wasn't sure if Tom was Byrd, Bird or Berg. I went with Byrd, but we won't know for sure until the rest of the game surfaces. I did get Tom's job and hometown, but Kathy's is unknown.

Here is a link to the video if you want to decipher Tom's last name.

https://youtu.be/XgwJEk47_N4
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: I wasn't sure if Tom was Byrd, Bird or Berg. I went with Byrd, but we won't know for sure until the rest of the game surfaces.
Sounds like "Berg" to me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I have added 10/10/90: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4999

Only 3 TS clues and it should have been zero with the rebound possibilities.

I can only imagine how many times since the game that Richard (even if still a West Coaster) has been visually reminded how his chance at a second win got away.

For pizzicato I went lowercase and italics although the archive also has uppercase and lowercase no italics.

Back on Monday with Peggi Malys #2.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Peggi Malys #2 is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5000

I let this game have the honor of id=5000 since it was a high-scoring outchange double dip.

A couple of tough breaks for Art on SPORTS QUOTES $500 and his DJ! round DD.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

legendneverdies wrote:Animfan1 uploaded the recently archived 1/10/89 and the not yet archived 1/11/89 episode to their Dailymotion page.
ANimfan has now uploaded the as yet unarchived 1/9/89 episode to his Dailymotion page
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

legendneverdies wrote:
ANimfan has now uploaded the as yet unarchived 1/9/89 episode to his Dailymotion page
I have entered the game, which is the game right before Mark put in last week featuring Dianne and her accent.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5007

During the interview, Bruce said he used to train thoroughbred race horses. But then the $1,000 clue in gambling is a stand-and-stare. Think that extra grand would have come in handy during Final Jeopardy?

I was unsure how to handle FJ. Alex said there were nine in total, but did not give the full list and the players as a group only came up with three of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... om_college

This article lists the presidents by their college education. Eight have "none" by their name and says Truman went to some business college as well as a law school in Kansas City, but did not graduate. I assume he is the ninth and put the full list in the clue. Any insight by more experienced archivists would be welcome.