Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015 - Round 2 Instant Replay Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BoK
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015 - Round 2 Instant Replay Thread

Post by BoK »

Discuss.
mahatma

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015 - Round 2 Instant Replay Thread

Post by mahatma »

Am I the only one who has to sketch a piano keyboard to figure out notes in a musical scale?

Really, only a major scale because I can use C-major as a template.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Ugh. Sharpsburg was my first instinct but I convinced myself that "Sharpsville, Maryland" sounded so much better.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

::sigh:: Dallas is not bigger than Dallas. I know this.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
goforthetie

Post by goforthetie »

I see that there is going to have to be a debate about whether "G Flat" is acceptable...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It's like the NYTimes crossword -- Monday starts off easy.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

goforthetie wrote:Ugh. Sharpsburg was my first instinct but I convinced myself that "Sharpsville, Maryland" sounded so much better.
I clammed because I couldn't decide. I would have guessed right.
goforthetie wrote:I see that there is going to have to be a debate about whether "G Flat" is acceptable...
There is no G Flat in a G major scale. F sharp and G flat are enharmonic equivalents in an equally-tempered scale, but that does not make them the same note.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I'm pretty sure Love Field is the HQ of Southwest Airlines, but I know for a fact (lived in Dallas 15 yeas, flew in and out of Love field many times) that Love field is not located "just outside of Dallas." It's well within the city limits.
Clue Jungry
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Clue Jungry »

Spoiler
Last edited by Clue Jungry on Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
goforthetie

Post by goforthetie »

Linear Gnome wrote:
goforthetie wrote:Ugh. Sharpsburg was my first instinct but I convinced myself that "Sharpsville, Maryland" sounded so much better.
I clammed because I couldn't decide. I would have guessed right.
Why not guess? You have a positive expected value on a coin flip.
goforthetie wrote:I see that there is going to have to be a debate about whether "G Flat" is acceptable...
There is no G Flat in a G major scale. F sharp and G flat are enharmonic equivalents in an equally-tempered scale, but that does not make them the same note.
I think I agree with this (and answered F sharp, myself) but I figured someone might want to make the opposite argument.
Last edited by goforthetie on Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

alietr wrote:It's like the NYTimes crossword -- Monday starts off easy.
Truth! I managed to WAG a couple, and I think I ran the board. Which, if you're looking at my performance last week, will almost certainly not be the case after today.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mahatma wrote:Am I the only one who has to sketch a piano keyboard to figure out notes in a musical scale?

Really, only a major scale because I can use C-major as a template.
Ditto. And I'm still surprised I can manage that much.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

The order of presidents which I can recall immediately has a big gap between Madison and Lincoln, but knowing that two of the presidents in the ballpark of #11 died in office (and veeps weren't replaced back then) narrowed the options to the 8-spot clue down to the correct answer.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

BoK wrote: 6: In Mille Bornes, the "Puncture Proof" card makes your side immune from this hazard.
This question was complete gibberish to me. (Which of course did not prevent me from guessing "sharp objects." At least I was not alone though.) Is Mille Bornes a popular game? I've never heard of it until today.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Linear Gnome wrote:
Because the rule is "we want to give you points," I think they ought to credit G flat since on a modern keyboard they're played by exactly the same key.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

tjconn728 wrote:
BoK wrote: 6: In Mille Bornes, the "Puncture Proof" card makes your side immune from this hazard.
This question was complete gibberish to me. (Which of course did not prevent me from guessing "sharp objects." At least I was not alone though.) Is Mille Bornes a popular game? I've never heard of it until today.
It's a really fun card game and is in the Games Magazine hall of fame. If you haven't played it, you should! :)
http://www.gamesmagazine-online.com/gam ... ofame.html
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

9021amyers wrote:The order of presidents which I can recall immediately has a big gap between Madison and Lincoln, but knowing that two of the presidents in the ballpark of #11 died in office (and veeps weren't replaced back then) narrowed the options to the 8-spot clue down to the correct answer.
For me the gap is between Tyler and Buchanan. I had that "Simpsons" song "Mediocre Presidents" playing in my head the whole time. I just need a good way of remembering those guys.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

I'm probably the only one, but in the sharp/flat category I got the 12 and 15-pointers but not anything else. I've never even heard of the card game. I thought of "sharpshooters," but figured it wouldn't be called puncture proof, then, so I clammed.

I spent two hours trying to conjure up the name of the Shark Tank guy who was on Celebrity Jeopardy! and it turned out to not even be correct. Fml.
ACW

Post by ACW »

goforthetie wrote:
Why not guess? You have a positive expected value on a coin flip.
No you don't.

Got 2 and 4 (and probably should've gotten Love Field); CLAMmed the rest. I knew Antietam; didn't know that wasn't it's real name.
Last edited by ACW on Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

ACW wrote:Got 2 and 4 (and probably should've gotten Love Field); CLAMmed the rest. I knew Antietam; didn't know that wasn't it's real name.
The North and South had different naming conventions for battles. Antietam was the creek where the battle was fought, Sharpsburg was the town. The National Battlefield is called "Antietam."