Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015 - Round 2 Instant Replay Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Summer Hiatus Challenge 2015 - Round 2 Instant Replay Thread

Post by econgator »

goforthetie wrote:
whatisbishkek wrote: Oh, I thought by using the actual keyboard you meant that you used it to play the scale, which (while trying to figure out the answer myself) entered my mind as something that would clearly not be appropriate. Just looking at it would be basically equivalent to sketching one, which doesn't seem like a problem.
I think there is a meaningful distinction to be drawn between looking at one and drawing one. Drawing a keyboard is equivalent to working out a multiplication problem with pencil and paper - everything still results from your own knowledge. Looking at a keyboard short-circuits this process; it could be likened to using a slide rule.
Concur.

Drawing -- fine, looking -- bad.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:
goforthetie wrote:
whatisbishkek wrote: Oh, I thought by using the actual keyboard you meant that you used it to play the scale, which (while trying to figure out the answer myself) entered my mind as something that would clearly not be appropriate. Just looking at it would be basically equivalent to sketching one, which doesn't seem like a problem.
I think there is a meaningful distinction to be drawn between looking at one and drawing one. Drawing a keyboard is equivalent to working out a multiplication problem with pencil and paper - everything still results from your own knowledge. Looking at a keyboard short-circuits this process; it could be likened to using a slide rule.
Concur.

Drawing -- fine, looking -- bad.
Basically, LL rules.

I now think of it akin to taking a test in class (like the SAT) and only given scratch paper, a pencil and a random information ticker to work with. You would not have a keyboard in the room, ergo you don't get to use a keyboard.

The random ticker is to account for information that might inadvertently help you get a question right. You can't key up specific facts, but on the off chance something useful does scroll across, well, it's part of the room, you get to use it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

All of this over a piano keyboard? Oh, Lord.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

I KNEW SAN ANTONIO WOULD BE HIGHER THAN AUSTIN :x
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

heelsrule1988 wrote:I KNEW SAN ANTONIO WOULD BE HIGHER THAN AUSTIN :x
You mean 'have a greater population'? Cause the way you said it I think might be backwards. 8-)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alamble

Post by alamble »

tjconn728 wrote:
BoK wrote: 6: In Mille Bornes, the "Puncture Proof" card makes your side immune from this hazard.
This question was complete gibberish to me. (Which of course did not prevent me from guessing "sharp objects." At least I was not alone though.) Is Mille Bornes a popular game? I've never heard of it until today.
If you took French in high school, you probably played it at some point. Incidentally, if we're talking about the game in the original French, there isn't a correct answer to that question, as the French is "pneu creve" (literally, "broken tire")
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

mahatma wrote: Also, Manassas (Junction; South) vs Bull Run (Creek; North), etc. It makes sense, as each side would have a different objective at many battles. History is written by the victors.
The South's objective was to lose?
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Vanya wrote:
mahatma wrote: Also, Manassas (Junction; South) vs Bull Run (Creek; North), etc. It makes sense, as each side would have a different objective at many battles. History is written by the victors.
The South's objective was to lose?
Success!
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

What kind of an idiot names a town Sharpsburg?
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Okay, I wouldn't have drawn a keyboard, I'd have just done this*. I thought the hard part was supposed to be either knowing the answer outright or knowing any major scale and transposing it to figure it out, but I think I was overestimating how common it is to know the chromatic scale, so I didn't think looking at my keyboard was giving me any information everybody didn't already have. But I realized while thinking about this that even though I have a phone right here too, I wouldn't look at it if a question about the letters on the buttons came up (but it's also far enough away that I can't read the letters without moving).

Judges, if you want to remove those 15 points, I won't argue. I'd object to disqualification, though. And to my fellow players, I'll do better in the future.

Anyway, during all this, I remembered that I do know another scale by heart -- A minor. :lol:

* I'd have still had a hard time with that. My stack of index cards is positioned such that I can't pick one up without seeing my keyboard too, unless I groped blindly for it.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

John Boy wrote:I'm pretty sure Love Field is the HQ of Southwest Airlines, but I know for a fact (lived in Dallas 15 yeas, flew in and out of Love field many times) that Love field is not located "just outside of Dallas." It's well within the city limits.
And that bit of misinformation makes it a really negbaity clue because the other airport that serves Dallas, DFW, is just (a few miles) outside of the city limits. I'd suggest crediting anyone who guessed DFW with at least a clam.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
John Boy wrote:I'm pretty sure Love Field is the HQ of Southwest Airlines, but I know for a fact (lived in Dallas 15 yeas, flew in and out of Love field many times) that Love field is not located "just outside of Dallas." It's well within the city limits.
And that bit of misinformation makes it a really negbaity clue because the other airport that serves Dallas, DFW, is just (a few miles) outside of the city limits. I'd suggest crediting anyone who guessed DFW with at least a clam.
I thought DFW was the answer you were going for, and for the same reason. Love Field isn't even on the outskirts - it's right in the middle of Dallas.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Oh, the dangers of actually knowing stuff.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Well, then. Being old and living in Chicago helped me to at least 37 points today. Being Catholic added another 12. (Although I haven't googled yet; it's possible I'm wrong on a couple.)

Yay for favorable demographics!
whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

Wow, if I had had to provide a guess for the window question I would have said rose window but it was such a wild guess that I thought it was better not to answer. Meanwhile, I instantly recognized Charles Keating when I saw other people's answers but it wasn't coming to my mind at all. I'm sure it would have seven years ago...
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I'd heard of the last three in the architecture category (I mean, of course I'd heard of Jefferson -- but I'd also heard about him designing that campus), but there was no way I was recalling them. I remember thinking that a rose is the flower most rose windows least resemble the last time it came up on Jeopardy! I thought I might do well in such a category, but there wasn't a question about who designed Brasilia or... okay, maybe that's the only architecture-related thing I actually know.

Today's relevant song.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

whatisbishkek wrote:Wow, if I had had to provide a guess for the window question I would have said rose window but it was such a wild guess that I thought it was better not to answer. Meanwhile, I instantly recognized Charles Keating when I saw other people's answers but it wasn't coming to my mind at all. I'm sure it would have seven years ago...
I didn't know his name was Charles until today. Just knew 'Keating Five', and probably couldn't have named the other three.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Just realized on the 2-pointer I repeated Charlie Brown's name instead of writing his team position - which I knew. Good grief!
ACW

Post by ACW »

18. Guessed Charles in Charge :oops: but got the rest.
CLAMmed architecture. I knew Jefferson founded UVA, but since when was he an architect??? :?: :?: :?:
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

ACW wrote:I knew Jefferson founded UVA, but since when was he an architect??? :?: :?: :?:
Five cents says I can name another building he designed.
:)