New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: They applauded the guy in the middle for getting it right?

Thanks for getting that game in, it was cool to see. I liked the commercial as well.

So were you recording the show even back then? I'm guessing you were in college then? (I was a senior in high school and I think you're a little older than me). At least you knew a place to stock up on video tape!!!
It would have been ridiculous if I noted all the misplaced instances of applause in the game. Alex's opening was incredibly lengthy as well before getting the game going. As an archivist it was nice to have a bunch of trigger finger clues.

Yes, I was in college in 1984 (graduated H.S. in '81) and I had my schedule set up pretty much like high school to be done by 3 or so each weekday, so the timing worked out to watch J! I would have been on break late Dec. '84, so I have no idea why I had that game on tape.

On the same tape I have most of the DJ! round and FJ! round for Frankel #2 as well as one complete Liz Caccese to do next week. The tape also had the pilot episode (would have been a Dec. rerun) of It's Your Move and I must have watched it many times because I still knew a lot of the lines last night all these years later. The tape also had 2 episodes of V the 1984-85 weekly series and Casey Kasem on America's Top 10 doing the top songs of 1984.

Ooh, a special on VHS tapes with one for $4.95 :) Yeah, I can remember when they were $5 or more. It was years down the road to getting a brick of 10 for $10 at Costco. One thing about those old tapes is obviously they held up well enough as that YouTube video was not completely terrible considering it was 6-hour speed.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:I gave it a date of 12/28/84. There was a news teaser about Dennis & Carol Day having the first test tube triplets. That happened after noon on 12/27/84. I figured the same day was too early to have the dad and other family members outside the hospital for a 5:00 news story. And after Friday the 28th? Did viewers care anymore?

For the ET researchers: Judge Reinhold
Well, the 12/28/84 edition of the Beaver County Times (whose Entertainment Tonight listings Myron used to confirm the date of Rocky Schmidt's first episode) has only three pages archived on Google, cutting off well before the TV listings appear. But then I discovered the Gettysburg Times also has TV listings that include the featured celebrity on Entertainment tonight, and, what's more, gives a whole week of listings in their Friday papers! Unfortunately, I can't find Judge Reinhold anywhere in December. Here's a list of ET celebs for the month and a little beyond, just so they're in one place. (Spoilered so as not to take up space for those who don't care)
Spoiler
12/3: Daniel Hugh-Kelly
12/4: Linda McCartney
12/5: Roy Scheider
12/6: Kim Carnes
12/7: Tom Selleck

12/10: Jeff Bridges
12/11: Sissy Spacek
12/12: Deborah Kerr
12/13: Tom Conti
12/14: Matt Dillon (Which I dug up when the post–Ric Moser game was about to be archived, to confirm that it was indeed the game after Ric's fifth—after which Mark found that Alex's pre-game remarks made mention of retiring 5x champ Ric Moser the day before)

12/17: Marilu Henner
12/18: Roger Moore
12/19: Lauren Hutton
12/20: Dick Van Dyke
12/21: Cyndi Lauper

12/24: John Lithgow
12/25: Gavin MacLeod
12/26: Tom Jones
12/27: Amy Irving
12/28: Lionel Richie

12/31: Lee Marvin
1/1/85: Hall and Oates
1/2: The making of the film "A Chorus Line"
1/3: Jane Alexander
1/4: Robert Blake
I found a UPI article about the Day triplets from the 27th saying they were born Wednesday (i.e. 12/26) and were in stable condition, so a 12/27 airdate isn't out of the question.

Edit: here's a link to the Gettysburg Times listings for the week of Christmas 1984, just so others can see easily (It jumps to Sunday noon because Google parsed "NOON" as a headline and that was the best way I could find to link the TV listings. You can keep scrolling to the right to see Monday 12/24 through Friday 12/28): https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=T ... 6%2C846758
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Animfan1 uploaded the unarchived 12/1/1988 episode to their Dailymotion page. Perhaps it will get archived later on' 12/2/88 is archived.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Sg: Thanks for your research. I must have misread the date about the birth as being the date the article was published. Since Jerry was likely a local, a Friday to Thursday run instead of M-F probably makes sense. What to do about Alex's remark about it being the second week in a row with a 5xer?

If Moser ended 12/13 and we know Chris H. from 12/14 did not win five then there could not be a 5xer Dec. 17-21 the week before Frankel if Frankel did indeed start on Friday the 21st.

The games blur together, but I think I put in the 12/14 game or at least have that one, so I'll recheck it for date clues.

Up later today a S2 game.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

5/14/86 is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5010

Nothing special about the game, but we'll take any S2 ones we can get.

Stanton was not introduced with a winning total given, but was called the returning champ several times. For Marie I went with Peterson, but of course Petersen is fairly common as well for a surname. I caught a break with Joe's last name as Alex asked about something on his uniform and there was a close-up on his name plate. Google has plenty of hits for a lawyer Stanton Korn, so I like the odds for that surname.

For dating the game the local newscaster said it was Wednesday and the lead story was about Gorbachev speaking about Chernobyl 14 days later.

Another potential research assignment: BRITISH ISLES $200 - When I was checking to make sure to go with Mac and not Mc, I only found hits for MacDougall matching the clue. I did not want to make it an ERRATUM without more proof.
brick

Post by brick »

MarkBarrett wrote:
COLONIAL AMERICA $800: :lol: (Someone's been mad at the show for a lot of years.)
I don't get the joke.
brick

Post by brick »

Bamaman wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Oh wow. I was expecting Ric Moser's fifth game.
This would be the earliest archived game from a ToC winner. Pretty cool.
And the first TOC winner to make Keith Williams get drunk.
In his defense, he wasn't gambling with a chance to return and keep winning money, just gambling with the money on the board, and why not? But if he was willing to gamble the game, he might as well have bet it all and doubled his money.
brick

Post by brick »

Bamaman wrote:
brick wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Yeah, how could John or even the other two not know the horse racing clue? Of course I live in that kind of state with it even affecting lottery payouts.
That is weird. Seth Davis had a similar one. In his first appearance, which aired on a Friday, he hit a Daily Double. The clue was "Racetrack combination in which you pick the winners of 2 races, usually the first 2" and Seth bet big and gave a bad answer. Thing is, Seth is a big fan of horse racing, as are much of his family. In Seth's words,
The next day (a Saturday) my now-famous brother-in-law went to Belmont. A friend came up to him and asked "Did you see that asshole on Jeopardy! last night?" "That asshole," he said, "is my brother-in-law."
Who is his now-famous brother-in-law?
Andy Serling, who is now paid to handicap and comment on racing at tracks in New York, and is featured on the closed circuit programming at Saratoga. At that time he was a well known guy at the tracks, who a lot of people listened to, but it was not his profession.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

brick wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
In his defense, he wasn't gambling with a chance to return and keep winning money, just gambling with the money on the board, and why not? But if he was willing to gamble the game, he might as well have bet it all and doubled his money.
Good point. He wasn't coming back the next day anyway, so he really didn't have anything to lose other than the money that day. There was a TOC spot on the line, but of course the TOC probably wasn't even planned at that time.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:
brick wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Good point. He wasn't coming back the next day anyway, so he really didn't have anything to lose other than the money that day. There was a TOC spot on the line, but of course the TOC probably wasn't even planned at that time.
$17K for a musician was probably a king's ransom at the time as well?

brick wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
COLONIAL AMERICA $800: :lol: (Someone's been mad at the show for a lot of years.)
I don't get the joke.
Around page 6 of this thread if you dare and have the time: http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1185
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

brick wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
I don't get the joke.
Too bad no one took a picture of that man with a wooden leg. (It goes way back on this board.)
OCSam
brick

Post by brick »

Wow. That's quite a thread!

I have two unrelated questions:
dhkendall wrote:
Oooh, I now have a challenge! Being a somewhat witty person (and a former comedian) like Bob Harris (and Ken Jennings, for that matter, but without the "former comedian" part), I will make it my personal mission to make the game fun. If "I will harp on this as long as I live" is embroidered on a pillow in mbclev's house, "Live your life in such a way to have mbclev harp on your Jeopardy! performance" will be embroidered on a pillow in mine.
dhkendall, how is that pillow coming?

And how did no one correct Vanya for misquoting Hamlet so badly?
Vanya wrote:
Bamaman wrote:The TS on Hamlet is a sad indicator of the death of culture in today's society. Have none of them seen this, perhaps the greatest ever rendition of the Bard of Avon's work?

http://youtu.be/3JQ8yF04y9o
Alas, poor Hamlet, we knew him well.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alex didn't make it sound like it was Friday on Jerry's game, so it could have been the 27th. As for a five timer "last week", it could have been a case of the taping schedule getting him confused as Moser might literally have taped a week ago although it was more games ago than just five. As I already mentioned, the production was a lot less streamlined than we see today.
brick

Post by brick »

MarkBarrett wrote: Ooh, a special on VHS tapes with one for $4.95 :) Yeah, I can remember when they were $5 or more. It was years down the road to getting a brick of 10 for $10 at Costco. One thing about those old tapes is obviously they held up well enough as that YouTube video was not completely terrible considering it was 6-hour speed.
We used to buy terrible movies from the video store bargain bin for a buck per and put duct tape over the 'read only' hole. You just had to keep track of the varied lengths of tape.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

legendneverdies wrote:Animfan1 uploaded the unarchived 12/1/1988 episode to their Dailymotion page. Perhaps it will get archived later on' 12/2/88 is archived.
The top of the show ALex introduces Grover, a puppet who helped a four time champion who was defeated by "current" champ Jack Lechner. The four time champ had won $47K. Yael Sofaer's four day total the only 1989 TofCer whose maingame total was in the $47K-$48K range, so that would date Yael Sofaer's run as 11/24-11/27 and 11/30/88. Also, in the four episodes Animfan1 uploaded(other three from January 1989 and the 12/1/88 episode), the champion stands next to Alex during the credits, but the non-champs stand at their podiums during the credits.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett wrote:I added Jerry Frankel #5: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5009 (FJ! round video in next post)

I gave it a date of 12/27/84. There was a news teaser about Dennis & Carol Day having the first test tube triplets. That happened after noon on 12/26/84. I figured the same day was too early to have the dad and other family members outside the hospital for a 5:00 news story. And after Friday the 28th? Did viewers care anymore?

I changed the date of the game to 12/27/84 after Sg pointed out the triplets were born on the 26th. Jerry's challenger, Emmett had some previous J! experience as a YouTube comment pointed out:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: It would have been ridiculous if I noted all the misplaced instances of applause in the game.
They seemed to clap a lot in the early days. When they reran the pilot episode a few years ago, I recall that was one of the annoying things about it, in addition to the bell when someone rang in.

I put in this game today.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5011

It was pretty horrible to watch. Martha never even saw positive numbers and I almost got to see a single player FJ. The guy who won had ten wrong questions himself. It said he was a four-time champ with $33,300. How much did he miss the TOC by?

A little generous judging on a couple of the familiar phrases category.
brick

Post by brick »

That was fun to watch Mark. Thank you. I noticed that even though they were trying a different host the scroll said "Mr Trebek's wardrobe provided by..."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I added Jerry Frankel #5: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5009 (FJ! round video in next post)

I gave it a date of 12/27/84. There was a news teaser about Dennis & Carol Day having the first test tube triplets. That happened after noon on 12/26/84. I figured the same day was too early to have the dad and other family members outside the hospital for a 5:00 news story. And after Friday the 28th? Did viewers care anymore?

I changed the date of the game to 12/27/84 after Sg pointed out the triplets were born on the 26th. Jerry's challenger, Emmett had some previous J! experience as a YouTube comment pointed out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt12jo5qC6I
The heading for the show still says #80.

Jody is in that rehearsal game too. And the advertising spots read by Johnny are identical to the ones at the end of Jerry's game. This could be the rehearsal for the very same taping (with Jerry not needing practice as a returning champion for the new week, perhaps?).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:I put in this game today.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5011

It was pretty horrible to watch. Martha never even saw positive numbers and I almost got to see a single player FJ. The guy who won had ten wrong questions himself. It said he was a four-time champ with $33,300. How much did he miss the TOC by?
From what I can tell, the 1989 ToC's last qualifier was Chris Shea, with four wins and $35,202. Too bad Jack Lechner swung for the fences on his lock FJs.