LL66 (For the LLamas)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: LL66 (For the LLamas)

Post by Bamaman »

I missed the question about My Favorite Things. My kitten tried to help by rubbing her whiskers on me while u was answering, but I still drew a blank.

I also had Dolly and the Sistine Chapel for my other two misses. But my opponent forfeited so the tone I spent evaluating defense was wasted.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Somehow I managed to win my first match yesterday. We both played perfect defense, but I got more questions right. Of course, I'm now last place in my rundle among those with a win.

I wasn't really sure how to do the defensive assignments, so I just did it based on which questions I thought were easier. I guess that worked out.

(And yes, I did have My Favorite Things in my head yesterday. It popped up all throughout the day.)
ThreeIfByAir
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by ThreeIfByAir »

Started with a loss, sigh. Overthought the Da Vinci Code question and thought the epilogue was in the little church in Edinburgh... so assumed the prologue must have been there too.

Surprised the get rate on penicillin was so high, but maybe that's because I wasn't quite sure I was right.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

ThreeIfByAir wrote:Started with a loss, sigh. Overthought the Da Vinci Code question and thought the epilogue was in the little church in Edinburgh... so assumed the prologue must have been there too.

Surprised the get rate on penicillin was so high, but maybe that's because I wasn't quite sure I was right.
I think the logical connections for that one were cheese =< mold => antibiotic => peniciin (with a cross confirmation of the ap. genus [penicillium])
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

I think the question would have been more interesting had the word "antibiotic" been removed. As it was, even if you miss the mold connection, what other antibiotic would anyone guess??
tjconn728
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by tjconn728 »

goforthetie wrote:I think the question would have been more interesting had the word "antibiotic" been removed. As it was, even if you miss the mold connection, what other antibiotic would anyone guess??
Exactly. I got this one because even though I know nothing about where penicillin comes from, it is literally the only antibiotic I can name.
squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

tjconn728 wrote:
goforthetie wrote:I think the question would have been more interesting had the word "antibiotic" been removed. As it was, even if you miss the mold connection, what other antibiotic would anyone guess??
Exactly. I got this one because even though I know nothing about where penicillin comes from, it is literally the only antibiotic I can name.
Ditto here. Also the penicillin suspicion was bolstered by the "P.", for me at least.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Mixed up George and Tammy with Loretta and Conway. Still managed to pull out a tie against FrielP, which is nothing to sneeze at.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

17 of the 28 people in my rundle (A Horizon) got a 9(6) on day one. Are you kidding me? I thought the country music question was really hard. I hemmed and hawed between George Jones and Tammy Wynette versus Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton. Turns out it was none of the above. Who knew there were so many male/female duos in country music around that time?
jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jfrumkin »

This Is Kirk! wrote:17 of the 28 people in my rundle (A Horizon) got a 9(6) on day one. Are you kidding me? I thought the country music question was really hard. I hemmed and hawed between George Jones and Tammy Wynette versus Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton. Turns out it was none of the above. Who knew there were so many male/female duos in country music around that time?
I was one of those 17. I couldn't remember if it was Strait and Lynn or Twitty and Lynn, but they only needed one, so I was golden. I also would have missed any science question that wasn't essentially "Name the only antibiotic you can think of and hope it's right." 4 pop culture questions, an easily guessed science one, and a semi-easily guessed sports one? Give me those every day and, well, I'll probably be 0-0-25, but that will work.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Oh come on, 'Moon, room' not good enough for a BWA? This crowd's tougher than my steaks.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

nightreign wrote:Somehow I managed to win my first match yesterday. We both played perfect defense, but I got more questions right. Of course, I'm now last place in my rundle among those with a win.
Yeah, me too. I like all the advanced statistics on the standings page; I'll have to enjoy a 1.000 defensive efficiency while I can.
The TOC winner in my division was one of the 4% of LLamas who forfeited.
Hoping for a third lap
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I was worried order would matter for the Huntley-Brinkley clue. It didn't (and got me 3 points!). Loretta Lynn was a total guess, almost went with Johnny Cash and June Carter-Cash.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

ARRRGGGGH!!!! NO COMMENTS ON THE CURRENT DAY'S QUESTIONS!!!!

(And that meant you, Vanya)
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

teapot37 wrote:Mixed up George and Tammy with Loretta and Conway. Still managed to pull out a tie against FrielP, which is nothing to sneeze at.
Didn't mix them up, but George and Tammy were the ones who came to mind for me, too. Ruled out Johnny and June at least because June doesn't have much of a solo career (If any--too busy to look it up right now) separate from Johnny.

Glad the order of Huntley-Brinkley didn't matter. Given that, surprised at the low get rate on that one, and polo as well. There are only two sports that I know of where everyone has to play with the same hand.

Was afraid that My Favorite Things had different lyrics on Broadway vs. the movie, but got that one, too.

Never read The Davinci Code, but WAGged the Vatican, and felt like I had a decent chance at my first ever 9(6). Alas, twas not to be, but still won--4 right is usually enough to win in D Rundle.
Sheepin' it real.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:17 of the 28 people in my rundle (A Horizon) got a 9(6) on day one. Are you kidding me?
I thought I did well with a 4/6 (country music and newscasters before I was born are not my forte). I did a decent job at defense and lost fairly to HamiltonL. The five 9(6) ties are totally intimidating. Congrats to all of the stunningly successful Horizon A rundle players.
Last edited by cmp146 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

alietr wrote:ARRRGGGGH!!!! NO COMMENTS ON THE CURRENT DAY'S QUESTIONS!!!!

(And that meant you, Vanya)
You guys take this way too seriously.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Thought for sure it was George and Tammy and flipped the Kosman Koin between The Vatican and The Louvre, coming up empty. Luckily, my defense was just good enough to pull out a 6(4)-5(4) victory.
Sprinkles are for winners.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
Never read The Davinci Code, but WAGged the Vatican, and felt like I had a decent chance at my first ever 9(6). Alas, twas not to be, but still won--4 right is usually enough to win in D Rundle.
Not for me, it wasn't. :(

I was shocked that 80% of people -- including my opponent, who was male (yes, I'm stereotyping) and had a low lifetime percentage in theater and a middling percentage in movies -- got the Sound of Music question right. I had assigned 3 points to it, resulting in me losing 6(4)-4(4). (Hey, it does involve knowing the song well enough to know which items come first).

I never knew about the one-hand rule for polo. Thus, I was among the "jai alai" contingent.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

hbomb1947 wrote:I never knew about the one-hand rule for polo. Thus, I was among the "jai alai" contingent.
Chukka should be Pavlovian for polo. Maybe that's because my grandfather played it.