Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:I had never signed up for Sploofus before, but after seeing Mark's post just hours into August, I figured it was a good time to give it a try. My strategy of answering shortly after midnight has given me a top 3 ranking after I answered each of the first two questions, then get to sit back and watch people pass me all day long. Would I be correct that the question level has no affect on your score for each question? I can't find an explanation of this anywhere on the site, but I have to assume that everyone is on a level playing field for the Question of the Day, right? I answered the first day's question pretty fast, and cheezguyty's score was seemingly miles better than mine.
I've noticed not everyone gets the same question. I think only people on the exact same level as you get your question.
Oh, well that's dumb, I assumed everyone got the same question each day.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

jeff6286 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:I had never signed up for Sploofus before, but after seeing Mark's post just hours into August, I figured it was a good time to give it a try. My strategy of answering shortly after midnight has given me a top 3 ranking after I answered each of the first two questions, then get to sit back and watch people pass me all day long. Would I be correct that the question level has no affect on your score for each question? I can't find an explanation of this anywhere on the site, but I have to assume that everyone is on a level playing field for the Question of the Day, right? I answered the first day's question pretty fast, and cheezguyty's score was seemingly miles better than mine.
I've noticed not everyone gets the same question. I think only people on the exact same level as you get your question.
Oh, well that's dumb, I assumed everyone got the same question each day.
So did I for the longest time.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

NFLPA vs NFL, going through the transcript.

http://deadspin.com/here-is-the-transcr ... 1722113452

Seriously, why the NFL even -dared- to let this happen is going to be one of those unsolved mysteries. My personal favorite bit is about 3 of the 4 Colts balls measured being under regulation. Trainwreck doesn't even begin to describe this...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Volante wrote:NFLPA vs NFL, going through the transcript.

http://deadspin.com/here-is-the-transcr ... 1722113452

Seriously, why the NFL even -dared- to let this happen is going to be one of those unsolved mysteries. My personal favorite bit is about 3 of the 4 Colts balls measured being under regulation. Trainwreck doesn't even begin to describe this...
"And, in fact, it will be clear in the evidence it had to do with the same way a baseball player works in his glove to a right feel to soften the leather to make it feel right for that quarterback."

Quarterbacks in baseball? Does this lawyer even watch sports?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

JBoard 11:35 - TRD wept.
Loose Parts Podium.png
Loose Parts Podium.png (29.9 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Just posting to say every time I come here I start singing "You can see the postings on the jboard.tv, jboard.tv" That is all.

https://youtu.be/hjg39XRkjVc
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:Just posting to say every time I come here I start singing "You can see the postings on the jboard.tv, jboard.tv" That is all.

https://youtu.be/hjg39XRkjVc
I've never seen that video before. I can't decide if it's a Jean Knight travesty or a nostalgic bonanza.

Rex
brick

Post by brick »

dhkendall wrote:
alietr wrote:Courtesy of The Final Wager (and I promise not to do this):
My wife didn't let me do this. Still wondering why I married her.
I was hoping the officiant would tell him that his response was invalid, as he had failed to give it in the form of a question.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

brick wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
alietr wrote:Courtesy of The Final Wager (and I promise not to do this):
My wife didn't let me do this. Still wondering why I married her.
I was hoping the officiant would tell him that his response was invalid, as he had failed to give it in the form of a question.
The groom is saving that argument for divorce court.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Rex Kramer wrote:
I've never seen that video before. I can't decide if it's a Jean Knight travesty or a nostalgic bonanza.

Rex
Sometimes I get nostalgic for the 70s nostalgia of my childhood.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

This week's episode of The Amazing Race Canada is titled "Who Is Alex Trebek?" It looks like it will mostly take place in Sudbury, Ontario.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:
Rex Kramer wrote:

Rex
Sometimes I get nostalgic for the 70s nostalgia of my childhood.
Do you get nostalgic for 2011? The 2016 J! calendar has at least one clue you had correct on the show when you played. I like to check the calendar vs. the archive to get the range for material recycled before I tuck it away until January. 4-5 years back or so is the norm for the clues going from real games to the calendar.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

dinghammer wrote:This week's episode of The Amazing Race Canada is titled "Who Is Alex Trebek?" It looks like it will mostly take place in Sudbury, Ontario.
Spoiler
He was on the mat with Jon at the end of the leg:
Someone put the whole episode on YouTube. Alex first appears around 26:28, then more frequently starting 33 minutes in as the remaining teams arrive.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote:And in second place! ........... uhhhh, no one. :)

http://m.mlb.com/statcast/leaderboard#pitch-velo
Someone over at the mlb site is a genius. That page got updated recently. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

If Great Scientists Had Logos (might be helpful as a study aid to some with little or no science background)
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/87890630200944103/
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

georgespelvin wrote:If Great Scientists Had Logos (might be helpful as a study aid to some with little or no science background)
I don't get the one for Gödel, assuming that's who "Göde..." written in old English calligraphy typeface is referring to.

I like the one for Pauli. It reminds me of the ongoing missed opportunity by the folks at The Big Bang Theory TV show. Eight seasons so far. There still hasn't been an episode titled "The Koothrappali Exclusion Principle".
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

georgespelvin wrote:If Great Scientists Had Logos (might be helpful as a study aid to some with little or no science background)

Who is McInstein? Is he Scottish?
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

opusthepenguin wrote:
I don't get the one for Gödel, assuming that's who "Göde..." written in old English calligraphy typeface is referring to.

I like the one for Pauli. It reminds me of the ongoing missed opportunity by the folks at The Big Bang Theory TV show. Eight seasons so far. There still hasn't been an episode titled "The Koothrappali Exclusion Principle".
It's riff on his incompleteness theorems.
OCSam
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Boardies looking good so far for the month with at least half of the spots:

Sploofus Trivia Question of the Day leaders for August

1 Jeff6286: 24,046
2 Bomtr: 23,594
3 Dasfunk: 23,404
4 Dbrink419: 22,920
5 Skullturf: 22,615
6 Poco928: 22,484
7 Whoismark: 22,270
8 Alvandy: 21,688
9 Ywf111: 21,551
10 Gobobbygo: 21,447
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Don't jinx me, Mark! Only 12 days left in the month!
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.