New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Bamaman »

Good grief, that must have been tough to watch. Only 19 clues in DJ? Was Alex still babbling and the giving a standing ovation every time somebody got a $100 clue right?

I entered the info for the rest of the S20 Kids Week games. In addition to what Mark said, I was able to find that Aaron won a college art scholarship in 2010, so I made him a sixth-grader. I also found a reference somewhere to Cody being a senior in 2009, making him in the seventh grade at the time.

Renzo was a spelling bee finalist and I got his grade from an article about that. I found an article about Deirdre being on the show, but it only gave her age and not her grade.

Yes, these kids are all now out of college or close to graduating by now, but I still felt a little creepy googling them. I hop the FBI never impounds my computer.

I also inputted the Thursday game for that week.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5017

I pretty much just copy and pasted from the other archive, so it wasn't too bad. I'm working nights out of town so I'm sitting in a hotel all afternoon with not much to do so I may do some more of the S20 games. At least we now have all the games accounted for with 55 skeletons.
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:Good grief, that must have been tough to watch. Only 19 clues in DJ? Was Alex still babbling and the giving a standing ovation every time somebody got a $100 clue right?
Here's one example of time wasted:

You or any of the other archivists are welcome to add to the bare minimum I gave the clue.

Thanks for the work filling in S20.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

You gave all I think was needed. She gave her response at the ten second mark and we had eleven more seconds they could have done without when Alex called on her for the next clue.

On a side note, you mentioned your tape still holding up. This one (I assume it is the same that has Jerry's games) seem to be of better quality from other snippets from more recent seasons you have posted on here.

Yes, dropping the ring in whenever you want rule was the J! equivalent of James Naismith cutting out the bottom of the peach baskets. I also think if they had never started putting the full names up during the intros, the archive might have collapsed with archivists revolting once the influx of players of Indian decent started appearing on the show.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

The unarchived 12/5/88 game(game following the archived 12/1 and 12/2, 12/1 was last week uploaded by Animfan1) is uploaded at Animfan1 at their Dailymotion page.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote:Liz Caccese #4 is in... Yes, that is the complete DJ! round.
I'm glad you clarified! 11 unrevealed clues in a regular-play game: beats any record for regular-play unrevealed clues we have in the last 20 years of the show for sure, and probably since Season 1.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Robert K S wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Liz Caccese #4 is in... Yes, that is the complete DJ! round.
I'm glad you clarified! 11 unrevealed clues in a regular-play game: beats any record for regular-play unrevealed clues we have in the last 20 years of the show for sure, and probably since Season 1.
How do you check for things like that?

I put in 2003 College QF#2 by copying from the other place today.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4964

As my schedule allows, I'll try to do one of the tourney games per day to wipe that out first. Copying and pasting is a lot easier than typing it in by hand. Th big problem is you have to really pay attention to the clue order and also here is no way to check your scores until one of the commercial breaks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added Eric Terzuolo #4: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5019

Classic round alert. I'm sure it's mentioned in one of those J! books.

I was not sure how to handle Alex's remarks before the DJ! categories, but thought I needed to do something.

Diego Cordovez did not make money on J!, but he's done all right for himself since: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diego_Cordovez

Tough draw for Joan with a 3R/4W.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:I added Eric Terzuolo #4: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5019

Classic round alert. I'm sure it's mentioned in one of those J! books.

I was not sure how to handle Alex's remarks before the DJ! categories, but thought I needed to do something.
Carlo Panno mentioned it in his interview with Ken Jennings. The exact same thing happened in a Mary Hirschfeld game archived two years ago, albeit in the DJ round.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I only looked quickly, but I'm not seeing what you're talking about with this game.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

alietr wrote:I only looked quickly, but I'm not seeing what you're talking about with this game.
Spoiler
Every correct response in the first round includes some form of the name John. click on Clue 1 in DJ for Alex's explanation.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MarkBarrett wrote:I added Eric Terzuolo #4: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5019
U.S. Cities for $400... Pearchtree?

Also, I haven't paid attention to other games, but is it common to put the question mark into the correct FJ response?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

bpmod wrote:

Also, I haven't paid attention to other games, but is it common to put the question mark into the correct FJ response?

Brian
Not normally, no.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
alietr wrote:I only looked quickly, but I'm not seeing what you're talking about with this game.
Spoiler
Every correct response in the first round includes some form of the name John. click on Clue 1 in DJ for Alex's explanation.
Interesting. I clicked on Clue 1, and all I see is the response. No explanation there for me.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Try the other clue 1.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote:Try the other clue 1.
So *that* is where the sucker was hiding! Thanks, Notorious RKS.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

bpmod wrote:

Brian
Pearchtree has been changed to the correct Peachtree. My short cut of a copy/paste off Eric's FJ! response to the correct response field would have worked fine if I had removed the question mark itself. :oops:

Thanks for the catches.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Spoiler
Nice. The name Steven Dorfman should be known to trivia enthusiasts everywhere, at least in the US and Canada. But I suspect he's our little secret. He doesn't even have a Wikipedia page.

Thanks to Mark for including Alex's comment even though there wasn't an obvious slot for it. Technically, I suppose, there was a "Jo(h)n" in every response since clue 11 refers to a "Jon". Jon Peters seems to wrecked everything he's involve in, even tangentially. Even the previous sentence.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added Halloween of 1986: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5020

Nothing was said or done to indicate the holiday. The most frightening thing to read/type was the clue at "YES" OR "NO" $1000 Alex wanted nothing more to do with it and I agree. If something is wrong with that one someone else can fix it. I see the dentist on Tuesday for x-rays/cleaning, so the clue was not a pleasant reminder.

Since Rosemary and Jeff were introduced in the law field and have unusual enough names I suspect it would be easy to see what they're up to today?

Jeff can be his own lawyer for defending his wagering citation.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don't know about anyone else, but the guy in the $500 Middle Names clue picking that particular name made me chuckle.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added Steve Robin #3: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5021

Ken Jennings did not know the FJ! clue guy in 2004: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2729 (last DD), so I guess the writers put him into retirement thinking that if KJ didn't get it, who will? Or have their been clues since with just the last name?