New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by Robert K S »

Don't suppose you can turn on the closed captioning?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

legendneverdies wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:10/23/1987 is at Animfan11's Dailymotion page.
Spoiler
The game is Beth 5500 Tom 5000 JOhn 8200 going into FJ!, a 2/3 game. ALex essentially gives away the correct response in WOrld War II $200 in DJ! and it helped Beth, who got the correct reponse after John negged. That swing helped make it the 2/3 game it was. IN the end, Beth didn't get FJ! right or wager $101 or less to allow her the win on a TS.
Spoiler
All I heard Alex say was "Sorry" after John said he thought France invaded Russia in WWII. How did he give it away? She also needed to be betting big to cover Tom's bet. Tom was below John's MSBIW, so he needed to go all in, as he did.
The game is now in the archive. Beth took third place and won a camera for her efforts. She is introduced as a photographer. I wonder what her professional opinion was of the camera she won.

Sorry, Mark, no clue what she was saying there.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:I'm working on a game for tomorrow. What was Martha's incorrect response in MOVIE TRIVIA?

The correct response was
Spoiler
RoboCop
Sounds like "North" to me. Or maybe "Miller".
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by legendneverdies »

Bamaman wrote:
Spoiler
All I heard Alex say was "Sorry" after John said he thought France invaded Russia in WWII. How did he give it away? She also needed to be betting big to cover Tom'sbet. Tom was below John's MSBIW, so he needed to go all in, as he did.
Spoiler
Alex sounded like he was saying "Sermany"
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:I'm working on a game for tomorrow. What was Martha's incorrect response in MOVIE TRIVIA?

The correct response was
Spoiler
RoboCop
Sounds like "North" to me. Or maybe "Miller".
Sounds like North to me. Possibly she forgot the category and thought of Ollie North and his epic paper shredding.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

The correct response was
Spoiler
RoboCop
I hear "Miller", but perhaps I am predisposed to that.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
brick

Post by brick »

Wow. Not hearing Miller at all. I hear the "th" very clearly at the end, and her mouth is in the right shape for that sound.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The first time I heard it, I thought she said Noah. Listening again, I did hear both North and Miller. Given the date, Ollie seems like a good guess as to who she was going for.
brick

Post by brick »

I am curious how Alex chose to enunciate the T in Robot Coupe. I've never heard it said that way. Maybe they felt that pronouncing it the usual way would make the answer too obvious.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:The first time I heard it, I thought she said Noah. Listening again, I did hear both North and Miller. Given the date, Ollie seems like a good guess as to who she was going for.
To me on one of the many re-listens it sounded like, "MILF". I went to Google and did a search for "robot milf" which of course was not going to be useful. However, looking at that in the search box had me think of Milton the Monster. I changed the "milf" to "milt" and I got a hit for Mork & Mindy for Mearth meet MILT.

So, perhaps she was thinking of the Jonathan Winters character on the show, Mearth, and she forgot the category?

I do hear "Mil" for the start and it seems like one syllable.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

legendneverdies wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
If Steve had gotten FJ right in his last game, would he have had enough to make the TOC if he didn't win his fifth game? (I got that one right from a related FJ we had a couple years ago.
Steve was a 3x champ with 35,400. A correct response in game 4 would have given him 11,100 for $46,500. Last in for the 1988 TOC was Ron Trigueiro at 49,401 for 4 wins and the alternate at 4 wins and 49,200. Steve would have needed a fifth win to get in.
The alternate was Michael Schutterley, whom 11 years later broke a game show record that stood for 19 years :)
TOday is the 16th anniversary of MIchael's $500K win being taped AND on that same episode, J! contestant Mark Dixon made the hot seat and Erik Larsen and former J! associate producer Harry Eisenberg were in the Fastest Finger round, along with a cameo by a leg end who never dies :)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

brick wrote:Sounds like North to me. Possibly she forgot the category and thought of Ollie North and his epic paper shredding.
This is the correct answer. I heard North too, but couldn't make it fit.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
brick wrote:Sounds like North to me. Possibly she forgot the category and thought of Ollie North and his epic paper shredding.
Okay, I went with North. I love Martha's interpretation of the clue to guess that while forgetting the category name.

1/16/89 is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5023

That makes 80% of Peggi's run, but I don't know that I have her fifth game. :( Unlike her opponents Peggi understood the strategy of "staying clam."
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:
MinnesotaMyron wrote:
Okay, I went with North. I love Martha's interpretation of the clue to guess that while forgetting the category name.

1/16/89 is in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5023

That makes 80% of Peggi's run, but I don't know that I have her fifth game. :( Unlike her opponents Peggi understood the strategy of "staying clam."
Popular topic for FJ, that is. Gotta know your Coleridge poems ;-)
brick

Post by brick »

I can't believe you searched robot milf! :lol:
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

That's a very interesting one for me. I hear "Miller" when I want to hear Miller but I hear "North" when I want to hear "North". However, before I read any of these comments I was leaning more towards a "North", too.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Is there a list of games that the archivists have but that haven't been archived yet? In going through some old downloads, I found a "minisode" of Keith Williams' college championship final, game 2. It's 6 minutes long. It's got all the category names, all three DDs, the FJ, and a generous helping of other clues. But maybe the archivists have a complete version and it just hasn't been entered? If not, and somebody wants a copy of this incomplete version, let me know.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote:That makes 80% of Peggi's run, but I don't know that I have her fifth game. :(
Do you have its results in your notes? I'm curious how the endgame turned out.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Robert K S wrote:Don't suppose you can turn on the closed captioning?
I don't think J! was closed-captioned back in 1989 -- and even if it was, the CC info doesn't stick well on old VHSes. (If the picture isn't close to perfect, it's likely the CC is garbled or nonexistent.)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

opusthepenguin wrote:Is there a list of games that the archivists have but that haven't been archived yet? In going through some old downloads, I found a "minisode" of Keith Williams' college championship final, game 2. It's 6 minutes long. It's got all the category names, all three DDs, the FJ, and a generous helping of other clues. But maybe the archivists have a complete version and it just hasn't been entered? If not, and somebody wants a copy of this incomplete version, let me know.
The problem being that if we put in the partial game, we'd have to put in a bunch of those little placeholder equal signs and approximate scores, which would then have to be changed once we got an actual tape of the game. Or we'd use Ronnie's archive to get the actual scores, and if we're doing that, well then, why not use every part of the buffalo and not just those 6 minutes?

And seeing as I went back through my Twitter and found the offer of the actual tape of the game (both games in the finals, actually), this would be more trouble than it's worth. I also have 3 other games from that tourney on VHS that I'll get to once I get my schedule here worked out.

Thanks anyway. Suggestions and sources always appreciated.