LL66 (For the LLamas)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: LL66 (For the LLamas)

Post by Austin Powers »

Dino Alexander is obviously one of the greatest minds of our generation.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Is goforthetie's avatar a hint as to his true identity?
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Nearly halfway through the season, and Dino Alexander has missed exactly one question. It's the darnedest thing I've ever seen.
Then there is StGeorgeJ, who has ten consecutive 9(6)s followed by two 0(0)s... Not forfeits. 0(0)s. It's all or nothing.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Vermonter wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:I have a confession to make. I got Argentina because Mexico didn't occur to me. I have no idea which way the coin would have landed if I'd had to decide between them.
Same here!
Here as well.
Droidysseus
Contributor

Post by Droidysseus »

5(2) - 5(4) tie because I played horrible defense. 12 matches so far with 5 ties.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

ThreeIfByAir wrote:
TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:3IBA: Good luck today, although based on my performance thus far this season, you won't need much. :D
Have you seen my performance this season? I think I'll need quite a lot... My guess is you'll get me this time. We'll see.
Have to admit, when I saw the questions and saw your category stats, I felt like I had a chance. Sullivan (one of his buildings is right down the street from where I work, but I just couldn't pull his name out of my memory) and orthogonal were gettable for me, just not yesterday. I'm not quite sure how my theatre performance has gotten so much higher than my pop music (maybe from playing Tigershark's TDs?), but 1 point for Lionel Richie/Commodores helps me to a 3(2)-2(2) victory today.

I figured almost everyone would know Rhodesia = Zimbabwe. I probably couldn't have named the other 2, but that one seemed like the slam dunk.
Sheepin' it real.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Bamaman wrote:Is goforthetie's avatar a hint as to his true identity?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1316&p=71463#p71401
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Vanya wrote:
Volante wrote:Mexico - 761,606 mi^2
Argentina - 1,073,518 mi^2

And they're only 6 apart on the biggest country list.
That's a lulu of a coin flip...
Miles squared is not the same as square miles.
Wrong.
OK, this is going in my Pet Intellectual Peeves thread.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Luckiest day ever yesterday ....

Q1) I love shepherd's pie, but had always had it with some form of mashed potatoes on top. There's this Irish pub downtown (at least what passes for downtown here) and I went to to try out their version about a year ago, but guess what they put on top of it? Yep, colcannon. Of course, I had to look it up before decided if I was going to eat it or not.

Q2) No real clue who did this, but Richie was the first name that came to mind, so I went with it.

Q3) Stumped me for a while, until I started thinking about the "upright" part. Thinking of synonyms for that eventually led me to straight -- teeth -- orthodontics --- orthogonal. Still no clue what it has to do with the other fields, though.

Q4) Unfamiliar with Sullivan, I was one of the MCWA's with Gehry.

Q5) Zimbabwe was a total guess.

Q6) I knew this one cold. I've been in WSS and it's one of my favorite musicals.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

econgator wrote:Luckiest day ever yesterday ....

Q1) I love shepherd's pie, but had always had it with some form of mashed potatoes on top. There's this Irish pub downtown (at least what passes for downtown here) and I went to to try out their version about a year ago, but guess what they put on top of it? Yep, colcannon. Of course, I had to look it up before decided if I was going to eat it or not.
I've never seen colcannon (in person or on a menu), but after hearing this song played by Irish folk bands often enough (it's kind of a classic), I finally had to look it up and figure out what the heck they were singing about (thanks, Wikipedia!).

I find the chorus irresistibly catchy and always end up singing it along with the band.

(Maybe it's just me)

(Or maybe it's just the Guinness ;) )

There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

^
I'm quite surprised by the low get rate on that question. I spelled it wrong, but I have eaten it and I'm familiar with the song. I've been to Ireland twice and have seen my last name on many a pub.
Lost 3(2)-2(2) because I gave the 3-pointer to the R&B question. I had a 7-game winning streak to start my career and haven't won since, although I did get to drink the beer on Monday.
Hoping for a third lap
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

tjconn728 wrote:I did the same, helped by the fact that I knew Mercator projections made Argentina look bigger than it really is
Argentina and Mexico are not too different in latitudes. Mexico extends from 14 to 33 degrees north, and Argentina between 21 and 55 (mainland: 52) degrees south. Additionally, since both are wider in the north part, their geographic "centers of mass" are at even more similar latitudes (roughly +22 and -34). That difference doesn't create a significant distortion on any map.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My defense has gotten better lately as I get a 2(2)-0(1) victory to take the lead into the break.

We both got the Commodores/Richie and I had Zimbabwe for the country. I thought with Rhodesia mentioned in the question, it was pretty obvious to the point I thought it was too obvious that I tried to think what other countries are in that area.

Other than a WAG of Buckminister Fuller, no chance on any of the others.

Looking forward to the All-Star Game. Would be great to have some boardies get in.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Bamaman wrote:Looking forward to the All-Star Game. Would be great to have some boardies get in.
Everyone can play; the top 5 scores from each Rundle in each League will count toward that League's total. You don't have to be in the top 5 in the standings right now to get in (good thing, 'cause I'm in 6th).
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Bamaman wrote:My defense has gotten better lately as I get a 2(2)-0(1) victory to take the lead into the break.

We both got the Commodores/Richie and I had Zimbabwe for the country. I thought with Rhodesia mentioned in the question, it was pretty obvious to the point I thought it was too obvious that I tried to think what other countries are in that area.

Other than a WAG of Buckminister Fuller, no chance on any of the others.

Looking forward to the All-Star Game. Would be great to have some boardies get in.
I thought of Zimbabwe right away, then second-guessed it because it isn't really in central Africa. Luckily, I stuck with it, because it was the only one I got right.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Vanya wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Vanya wrote:

Wrong.
Please do. I'm curious what your rationale is for this. Square miles and mi^2 are exactly the same as far as I know.
Droidysseus
Contributor

Post by Droidysseus »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Vanya wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Vanya wrote:

Wrong.
Please do. I'm curious what your rationale is for this. Square miles and mi^2 are exactly the same as far as I know.
Correct, it's essentially an extension of the commutative property.
squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Vanya wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Vanya wrote:

Wrong.
Some cursory internet research seems to point to some distinction between the phrases "miles square" (N.B. square, not squared) and square miles. Basically, 4 miles square refers to the area of a square that is 4 miles on each side, whereas 4 square miles would be the area of a square that is 2 miles on each side. However, this ridiculous argument started from somebody using "mi^2" which is extremely unambiguous as far as I'm concerned.
Schliemann

Post by Schliemann »

bomtr wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Nearly halfway through the season, and Dino Alexander has missed exactly one question. It's the darnedest thing I've ever seen.
Then there is StGeorgeJ, who has ten consecutive 9(6)s followed by two 0(0)s... Not forfeits. 0(0)s. It's all or nothing.
StGJ is in my rundle and I've definitely noticed this bizarre turn. Is it performance art? Something deeper?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Schliemann wrote:
bomtr wrote:
StGJ is in my rundle and I've definitely noticed this bizarre turn. Is it performance art? Something deeper?
She's made her point that she knows her stuff. Now she's just going for BWA on every single question. :)