LL66 (For the LLamas)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Re: LL66 (For the LLamas)

Post by goatman »

Schliemann wrote:
bomtr wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Nearly halfway through the season, and Dino Alexander has missed exactly one question. It's the darnedest thing I've ever seen.
Then there is StGeorgeJ, who has ten consecutive 9(6)s followed by two 0(0)s... Not forfeits. 0(0)s. It's all or nothing.
StGJ is in my rundle and I've definitely noticed this bizarre turn. Is it performance art? Something deeper?
Looking at my opponents I noticed 0(0) NOT a forfeit making me wonder if someone had typed in a point value but mistakenly hit 'submit' before entering any responses...>? :o
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

goatman wrote:
Schliemann wrote:
bomtr wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:Nearly halfway through the season, and Dino Alexander has missed exactly one question. It's the darnedest thing I've ever seen.
Then there is StGeorgeJ, who has ten consecutive 9(6)s followed by two 0(0)s... Not forfeits. 0(0)s. It's all or nothing.
StGJ is in my rundle and I've definitely noticed this bizarre turn. Is it performance art? Something deeper?
Looking at my opponents I noticed 0(0) NOT a forfeit making me wonder if someone had typed in a point value but mistakenly hit 'submit' before entering any responses...>? :o
Sometimes you just miss them all...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
Please do. I'm curious what your rationale is for this. Square miles and mi^2 are exactly the same as far as I know.
Ok, so miles squared is miles times miles, right? So explain how multiplying 2 one-dimensional measurements results in a 2-dimensional measurement. Going one step further, multiplying square miles by square miles should result in a 4-dimensional measurement, right? Care to define that one?

Or, to borrow from the gravity acceleration constant, seconds squared should equal square seconds, right? What is a square second (maybe you can work it into your 4-dimensional measurement from above)?
plasticene
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by plasticene »

I have a far-fetched theory about St GeorgeJ. Maybe she had no access to the internet on Monday and Tuesday but somehow didn't get an opportunity to request the questions in advance. She didn't want to forfeit, so she told someone she trusted her password and instructed them to submit blank answers with 2-1-2-1-0-3 defense on both days.

The funny thing about that defense is that it worked out so well, even though the duplication makes it look like it might have been random. Monday's point assignments against CraigR look far from ideal to me, but they worked out fine when he scored 9(6). On Tuesday, though, the defense looks perfectly well thought out, and in fact resulted in a perfect outcome, a 2(3) score by her opponent.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Volante wrote:
goatman wrote:
Schliemann wrote:
bomtr wrote:
Sometimes you just miss them all...
As someone who has had a 0(0) (and certainly isn't bitter about it AT ALL, thank you very much), sometimes you just suck.

Also, where are my Highland comrades out there? I'm hoping you all are bringing your A games and helping to prove once and for all that Highland is THE BEST league.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Vanya wrote:Ok, so miles squared is miles times miles, right? So explain how multiplying 2 one-dimensional measurements results in a 2-dimensional measurement.
Um, I don't think I need to explain it, that's just how it works. miles x miles = square miles which is just another way of saying mi^2.
TheyCallMeMrKid
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Time for the Midseason Classic! Go Team Horizon!! :D
Sheepin' it real.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Team Pacific! I have already let you down!
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

mennoknight wrote:Team Pacific! I have already let you down!
You and me both.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Vanya wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:
Please do. I'm curious what your rationale is for this. Square miles and mi^2 are exactly the same as far as I know.
Ok, so miles squared is miles times miles, right? So explain how multiplying 2 one-dimensional measurements results in a 2-dimensional measurement. Going one step further, multiplying square miles by square miles should result in a 4-dimensional measurement, right? Care to define that one?

Or, to borrow from the gravity acceleration constant, seconds squared should equal square seconds, right? What is a square second (maybe you can work it into your 4-dimensional measurement from above)?
Edited to spoiler for graphic physics content.
Spoiler
While I agree with 100% of what Kirk has said so far, it's interesting to think about why it makes sense to talk about square meters but not square seconds.

Here's one way to think about it. There are many of these units that can be written in terms of how many of the more basic units are in the numerator and in the denominator. So a Newton is a kg m/s^2, a Joule is a kg m^2/s^2, a Watt is a kg m^2/s^3, etc.

In some (but not all) cases, it makes sense to look at the products and quotients individually.
For example, in the case of a Joule or a Watt, I don't see any physical significance to the m^2 or the s^2, but we can think of a Joule as a Newton-meter (force of 1 Newton along a straight distance of 1 meter). Acceleration in m/s^2 can be thought of as (meters per second) per second (how fast is the speed changing). Area in m^2 can be thought of as square meters, while volume in m^3 can be thought of as cubic meters. If we could think well enough in 4 dimensions, we could measure hypervolume in m^4, but there isn't much call for that.
Last edited by Linear Gnome on Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vanya wrote: Ok, so miles squared is miles times miles, right? So explain how multiplying 2 one-dimensional measurements results in a 2-dimensional measurement.
Surely you're not arguing that width x height does not equal area?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Linear Gnome wrote:
Vanya wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:

While I agree with 100% of what Kirk has said so far, it's interesting to think about why it makes sense to talk about square meters but not square seconds.

Here's one way to think about it. There are many of these units that can be written in terms of how many of the more basic units are in the numerator and in the denominator. So a Newton is a kg m/s^2, a Joule is a kg m^2/s^2, a Watt is a kg m^2/s^3, etc.

In some (but not all) cases, it makes sense to look at the products and quotients individually.
For example, in the case of a Joule or a Watt, I don't see any physical significance to the m^2 or the s^2, but we can think of a Joule as a Newton-meter (force of 1 Newton along a straight distance of 1 meter). Acceleration in m/s^2 can be thought of as (meters per second) per second (how fast is the speed changing). Area in m^2 can be thought of as square meters, while volume in m^3 can be thought of as cubic meters. If we could think well enough in 4 dimensions, we could measure hypervolume in m^4, but there isn't much call for that.
Margaritas ante porcos...
jjwaymee

Post by jjwaymee »

The discussion of square miles is fascinating and completely relevant to Learned League. Please - everybody - continue to beat it into the ground in this thread.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

jjwaymee wrote:The discussion of square miles is fascinating and completely relevant to Learned League. Please - everybody - continue to beat it into the ground in this thread.
Not sure whether to apologize, tell you to "square THIS!", or spoiler my reply. Guess I'll do all three.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jjwaymee wrote:The discussion of square miles is fascinating and completely relevant to Learned League. Please - everybody - continue to beat it into the ground in this thread.
Not a whole lot else to discuss here until after Sunday, it would seem.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

econgator wrote:
You and me both.
Uh oh. If you guys were expecting me to pick up the slack, you're going to be disappointed.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Winchell Factor wrote:
econgator wrote:
You and me both.
Uh oh. If you guys were expecting me to pick up the slack, you're going to be disappointed.
I managed 6 correct (and really should have had a 7th. I can't tell you how stupid I feel for missing it).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Shh.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I attempted to get your back, Pacific. Now to see how wise my money choices were...
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Speaking of multiplying, twice now I have gone to a local grocery store to return bottles (5 cent deposit), and the cashier counts the bottles, then whips out a calculator to see how much I am owed! Maybe it's a store rule they have to do this (I really hope so).