Friday, January 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, January 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6295, 2012-01-20

CONTESTANTS
Bob Powell, a network administrator from Fort Walton Beach, Florida
Russell Howes, a graduate student of mathematics originally from Taylorsville, Utah
Lynn Hammerlund, a college librarian from Lake in the Hills, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,500)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. I'm feeling good as we wrap up this week, but our champion Lynn is feeling even better. She won 22 1/2 thousand dollars yesterday, would like to add to that total today. Can she do it against the guys, Bob and Russell? Welcome. Good luck. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round. Here are the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COMMON COLD (5/5)
CHICKEN SOUP (4/5)
CLEAN "X" (5/5) (Alex: Each correct response will contain that letter of the alphabet.)
AIRBORNE (5/5)
NIGHT QUILL (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
VICKSBURG (2/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lynn: 10 R, 0 W
Bob: 9 R, 1 W
Russell: 5 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,000

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Bob: $3,400
Lynn: $2,600
Russell: $1,800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. Bob Powell from Walton Beach, Florida, is a state-certified what?

Bob: Law enforcement officer--auxiliary law enforcement officer for the State of Florida.

Alex: Does this mean you have to do a full shift every day?

Bob: No, not at all. It's, uh, I'm with the Okaloosa County sheriff's posse, which is a volunteer auxiliary to the full-time, uh, sheriff's office.

Alex: Do you carry a weapon?

Bob: We have the same equipment as all of the, uh, full-time officers, so...

Alex: Do you have the authority to give tickets?

Bob: Only if we're working under the, uh, supervision of a, uh, regular sworn deputy. So...

Alex: Oh, that's too bad. Bend the rules.

[Laughter]

Alex: Russell Howes is originally from Taylorsville, Utah. Now you ran a Ragnar relay race. I don't know what that is.

Russell: Well, a Ragnar relay race is... It's a relay race, and...

Alex: Okay, that part I get.

Russell: You get a group of 12, so I joined a group with my friend and ten other people who I really didn't know, but you spend the next day and a half in 2 large minivans with those 12 people, so you get to know 'em very well. And you take your turn running, and I had 3 shifts, a total of 20 miles. And all in all, we ran 192 miles.

Alex: Doing this for charity, I hope?

Russell: No.

Alex: Oh. Okay, just for fun?

Russell: Now I feel bad. Thanks.

Alex: No, don't...

[Laughter]

Alex: But that's a thought--next year, when you run your race, do it for charity, get people to spons--

Russell: I can take constructive criticism, Alex. That's fine.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay. [Laughs]

Alex: Lynn Hammerlund is our champion. She's a college librarian. We had a clue about McDonald's a few moments ago. McDonald's figures into your life on a regular basis?

Lynn: Yes, it does. Every year on February 12th. My husband gives me the same anniversary gift every year. It's a toothbrush. And we eat the same meal. We go to McDonald's for a cheeseburger, fries, a shake, and apple pies, because on our honeymoon, I forgot my toothbrush--that's the first thing he bought me after we were married, and that was the first thing we ate after we were married.

Alex: Let me give you a tip--use the toothbrush after you eat.

Lynn: Absolutely.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Russell found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Lynn had $2,600, Russell had $2,600, and Bob was at $5,000. Russell wagered $1,600.

NIGHT QUILL $400: Searching for this character, Mr. Utterson says, "I shall be Mr. Seek" & one night does find him
(Russell: I don't know--who is God?)
(Alex: No, he's searching for [*]--Jekyll & [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CHICKEN SOUP $800: A book of chicken recipes by Wade Boggs is titled these "Tips"
(Alex: He was a baseball player--he was familiar with foul tips, only this is [*].)

VICKSBURG $1000: 6 weeks before the actual surrender, the Confederates raised the white flag but only to ask for a truce to do this
(Bob: What is re-arm?)
(Alex: Although they might have done that, they asked for a truce to [*].)

NIGHT QUILL $200: In the 1880s explorer Sir Richard Burton prepared a 16-volume English translation of these tales
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lynn: $6,800
Bob: $4,000
Russell: $1,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, January 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ALLITERATIVELY YOURS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
FAMOUS WOMEN (4/5)
COPPING OUT ON TV (4/4)
"U-R" THERE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PHYSICS (4/5)
SPELLING IT OUT IN ROMAN NUMERALS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Russell: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Bob: 8 R, 0 W
Lynn: 5 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lynn snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. Lynn had $8,000, Russell had $6,000, and Bob was at $8,000. Lynn wagered $2,400.

"U-R" THERE $2000: As indicated on the map, they are South America's two smallest independent countries in area

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Russell who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Lynn had $11,200, Russell had $10,800, and Bob was at $11,200. Russell wagered $1,600.

ALLITERATIVELY YOURS $1200: By request of director Roman Polanski, this function was disabled on the DVD of "Knife in the Water"
(Alex: Minute to go now, Russell.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PHYSICS $800: Add this word to "electro" to get the adjective for electrical phenomena produced by charges at rest
(Lynn: What is electromagnetism?)
(Russell: What is electrostatics?)
(Alex: We can't accept it with the "S".)

ALLITERATIVELY YOURS $800: These events terrorized black citizens in Springfield, Ill. in 1908 & Tulsa, Okla. in 1921

ALLITERATIVELY YOURS $2000: Seen here, it's used to signal a footnote when you've run out of other symbols

FAMOUS WOMEN $2000: During her rule in antiquity, she was often depicted as a male with a beard
(Lynn: Who is Nefertiti?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds, even before Alex gives the correct response.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Russell: $14,400
Bob: $12,800
Lynn: $10,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ENGLISH LITERATURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Russell: Wager $11,201 to cover Bob.
Bob: You're faced with a legitimate choice in strategy. You can either choose to cover Lynn, hoping that you give the correct response and Russell doesn't, in which case you'll want to wager $8,801 to cover Lynn's doubled score, but no more than $9,600 if you want to top Russell on a Triple Stumper; or bet up to $1,999 and win if both Russell and Lynn miss Final.
Lynn: You ought to try wagering between $2,001 and $6,800. This will top a $0 wager by Bob while still beating Russell and Bob on the Triple Stumper (should Russell wager to cover Bob's doubled score and Bob wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This title character of an 18th century novel was the son of a man named Kreutznaer, but his name gets Anglicized

FINAL SCORES
Lynn: $10,800 - $9,200 = $1,600 (Who is Crown?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Bob: $12,800 - $8,000 = $4,800 (Who is) (New champion: $4,800)
Russell: $14,400 - $11,201 = $3,199 (Who is Crosi) (2nd place: $2,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $7,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Russell: $15,600, 17 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)
Bob: $12,800, 17 R, 1 W
Lynn: $10,400, 15 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Combined Coryat: $38,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Bob: 17/58 = .293
Russell: 17/60 = .283
Lynn: 15/59 = .254
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AIRBORNE $200: It figures that Otto was the name of the autopilot in this 1980 movie comedy in the clouds
(Alex: [*]--funny film.)

VICKSBURG $600: The CSS Arkansas, one of these ships named for its armor, had a glorious 23-day career in the campaign
(Alex: With a minute to go.)

"U-R" THERE $400: In winter, when it's cold enough, you can snowmobile across this Great Lake to get to Mackinac Island
(Lynn: What is Lake Superior?)

FAMOUS WOMEN $400: Though female, she claimed to have the heart & stomach of a king

FAMOUS WOMEN $800: A former spy, she cooked up some excitement of her own as an author & TV host

FAMOUS WOMEN $1200: She's seen here, perhaps contemplating a creative homicide

FAMOUS WOMEN $1600: In 1992, this woman endeavored to achieve an historic first, & she did

CORRECT RESPONSES
Edward Hyde
Fowl
bury their dead
the Arabian Nights
Uruguay & Suriname
fast forward
static
race riots
a double dagger
Hatshepsut
Robinson Crusoe
Airplane!
ironclad
Huron
Queen Elizabeth I
Julia Child
Agatha Christie
Mae Jemison
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, January 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JFanForever »

Not a great day today. 7 right in each round. I nailed Hetshepsut in the last clue of DJ although it took me a bit to come up with it. I guessed Marie Antoinette instead of Elizabeth I.

Didn't get the triple stumper on FJ. Definitely a forgettable performance.
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

I cannot for the life of me figure out the wagering strategies in FJ! Can anyone make sense of those bets?

Not a chance on FJ!, either. Always thought that novel was more recent. Who was the Cross person they were guessing?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

English Literature
This title character of an 18th century novel was the son of a man named Kreutznaer, but his name gets Anglicized.
Spoiler
Who is Robinson Crusoe? Lynn said Crown; Bob had no guess; Russell said Cross.
Russell Howes: $14,400-$11,201=$3,199
Bob Powell: $12,800-$8,000=$4,800...now a 1-day champion with $4,800
Lynn Hammerlund: $10,800-$9,200=$1,600
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

lisa0012 wrote:I cannot for the life of me figure out the wagering strategies in FJ! Can anyone make sense of those bets?

Not a chance on FJ!, either. Always thought that novel was more recent. Who was the Cross person they were guessing?
Kreuz in German means cross. That's the only thing I had going, too... :(
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

15/28, 12/29.

What TOM did I miss on the Arabian Nights clue that triple-stumped at $200?

Please tell me I'm not the only one who said McChicken instead of Chicken McNuggets on Chicken for $200. Also went with "wing tips" instead of "foul/fowl tips".

Picked up Lach Trash on Hyde and Race riot (I said "Racial riot", which according to Wikipedia is acceptable).

My only 0/5 today was the Women category.

Cold was an easy 5/5; Ajax denied me a 5/5 because I was expecting it to begin with X.

Absolutely lost on FJ! I took 2 years of German, and never came across the word kreutz. I even play organ in a Lutheran church, so you'd think I'd encounter that word...
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Well that was a farce at the end Fortunately the guy in the middle didn't win; the halting delivery when picking categories, plus the insistence on getting a fourth row clue right, and then opting for a top row clue instead of the fifth row clue, drove me batty. It's almost like people don't want money. If they're going to cut back by limiting the clues, could the contestants perhaps adjust by ignoring the top row stuff once the flow of the round is established?
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I knew they'd leave the TV Cop category unfinished :roll: I guess with all the LTaM BS lately I should just be glad it was only one clue.

Instaget-ish FJ; made the Kreutzner-Crusoe connection immediately by sounding it out, but spent 20 seconds convincing myself there wasn't a better answer.

The good thing about bad wagering is that it's punished accordingly....usually. Lynn's terrible wager cost her the game, so I'm OK with it. But Bob...if he was going to bet big, why didnt he cover an all-in by Lynn? Oh well. At least it wasn't the usual 2nd place suicide wager.

So, if "mil" was an acceptable response to the 2k Roman Numerals category, does that mean they (and I) spelled out the other answers for nothing?! :evil:

ETA:
TenPoundHammer wrote:What TOM did I miss on the Arabian Nights clue that triple-stumped at $200?
I guessed it based on "translated" (foreign language) "tales", and since the category was "Night" and IIRC there was nothing hinting at 'night' in the clue, it would be part of the response.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

xxaaaxx wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:What TOM did I miss on the Arabian Nights clue that triple-stumped at $200?
I guessed it based on "translated" (foreign language) "tales", and since the category was "Night" and IIRC there was nothing hinting at 'night' in the clue, it would be part of the response.
Seems kinda nebulous for $200 IMO.

Also, why does this forum keep going down?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Also, why does this forum keep going down?
We've had some issues today. I am trying to get to the bottom of it and fix whatever's broke.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

xxaaaxx wrote: Instaget-ish FJ; made the Kreutzner-Crusoe connection immediately by sounding it out, but spent 20 seconds convincing myself there wasn't a better answer.
Tried that, but didn't work for me. "Christian" was the best I could come up with.
xxaaaxx wrote: So, if "mil" was an acceptable response to the 2k Roman Numerals category, does that mean they (and I) spelled out the other answers for nothing?! :evil:
Yeah, pretty much. I kept wondering why they were spelling instead of just answering the clue.
xxaaaxx wrote: ETA:
I guessed Canterbury Tales, figuring they were 'translated' from middle English.

(edit)
TPH, you were not the only one to answer 'McChicken'
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The McChicken actually made its (unsuccessful) debut before the McNuggets. I'm surprised.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

xxaaaxx wrote:I knew they'd leave the TV Cop category unfinished :roll: I guess with all the LTaM BS lately I should just be glad it was only one clue.

Instaget-ish FJ; made the Kreutzner-Crusoe connection immediately by sounding it out, but spent 20 seconds convincing myself there wasn't a better answer.

The good thing about bad wagering is that it's punished accordingly....usually. Lynn's terrible wager cost her the game, so I'm OK with it. But Bob...if he was going to bet big, why didnt he cover an all-in by Lynn? Oh well. At least it wasn't the 2nd place usual suicide wager.

So, if "mil" was an acceptable response to the 2k Roman Numerals category, does that mean they (and I) spelled out the other answers for nothing?! :evil:

ETA:

he got lucky there.
Mil/Mill sounds the same if there are no emphasis. Alex should have requested him to spell it out.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Can anyone puzzle out why "electrostatics" was negged? It wasn't a wordplay category that I recall, and it is certainly just as correct physics-wise (trust me).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

boson wrote:Can anyone puzzle out why "electrostatics" was negged? It wasn't a wordplay category that I recall, and it is certainly just as correct physics-wise (trust me).
The only thing I can come up with is that 'electrostatics' is an actual branch of physics, where the clue was looking for a type of charge?

Also, I've never heard the E-O-R signal go off in the middle of a rebound. What was up with that?

Not a prayer on FJ. I could have had a month to guess and still not come up with it,
alamble

Post by alamble »

econgator wrote: Also, I've never heard the E-O-R signal go off in the middle of a rebound. What was up with that?
Bad edit, most likely.

I came up with Crusoe with about five seconds left in the think music, but I didn't get the "kreutz"="cross" connection (at least not consciously) because I don't speak German. For some reason, I keep thinking of Crusoe as American lit, even though that's obviously not right.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I wonder if an inaccurate pronunciation of Kreutznaer (with an "oo" sound instead of "oy") would have helped. I settled for Gulliver.

I bet Russell wishes Lynn hadn't negged on the Hatshepsut clue and broken her tie with Bob. (Although she might have bet $7,200 in that case and won, who knows.)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

boson wrote:Can anyone puzzle out why "electrostatics" was negged? It wasn't a wordplay category that I recall, and it is certainly just as correct physics-wise (trust me).
Adjective.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I had some fun negs tonight:

Don't cry over spilled milk for Don't count chickens before they hatch
Batter tips instead of Fowl for the Boggs work
Nipper for Nippy on the dog/weather
and the best one - Margaret Truman going off murder instead of Christie

I was in the right neighborhood but wrong street when I came up with 1001 Tales for Arabian Nights.

For the FJ clue the German was not going to do anything for me, so I was left with a famous character in the 1700s. First I plugged in Gulliver. The work being Gulliver's Travels did not seem to match the clue's wording for what was wanted.

My next name to go to for that century was Robinson Crusoe. That seemed to be a good fit for the German and the requirements of the clue. I had nothing better, so happy Friday.

A Daily Double was not there in Roman Numerals, but as the category played out I kept thinking Joon or Roger would double up five figures in there.

Russell gave me the impression that a 2nd place finish with 3199 was not how he pictured things going for him. The victory was there for him and it has to sting to lose on a common work that was disguised a little too well.