TD 260 - The Pursuit of Trivia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

TD 260 - The Pursuit of Trivia

Post by gamawire »

Welcome to TD 260 and the Pursuit of Trivia.

Here are 12 questions, two each that go with the six categories in Trivial Pursuit: Genus Edition.

There are bonuses for several questions. A correct answer on a bonus will earn you a one-point score deduction. There is no penalty for an incorrect answer, but you must provide an answer for the original question and answer the original question correctly to be eligible for the bonus.

Rules:
• Please PM your responses to me – do not post anything in this thread.
• Correct answers score points equal to the number of players who gave that answer.
• Incorrect answers score the SHEEP (most popular answer for that question) plus 5 points.
• You may DROP one question, which will score zero.
• You may also SHEEP one question, which will give you the same score as the sheep answer.
• Scoring is cumulative; low score wins. With bonuses, the lowest score possible is 5.
• Ties are broken based on order of entry.
• No external help is allowed - YEKIOYD.
• Entries must be received by 10:00 PM CDT, September 14, 2015.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
gamawire

Re: TD 260 - The Pursuit of Trivia

Post by gamawire »

GEOGRAPHY:

1. Name a sovereign state whose national capital begins with the letter B.

2. Name a U.S. state that currently has a city named Paris (just Paris – no other words or letters; so North Paris or Paristown would be incorrect).

ENTERTAINMENT:

3. Name a Black woman who has been nominated for the Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role.

Bonus: For what movie was your chosen actress nominated?

4. Name one of music’s top 20 money makers of 2014 (according to Billboard).
METHODOLOGY: The data used to compile Money Makers was supplied by Nielsen SoundScan, Nielsen BDS and Billboard Boxscore. Artists are ranked by U.S. earnings, calculated from touring, recorded- music sales, publishing royalties and revenue from digital music and video streaming. Due to a lack of data, revenue from sponsorship, merchandising and synchronization isn’t included.

HISTORY:

5. Name a ruling house of either England or Britain (dated from 871 until the present).

Bonus: Name a ruler of the house you chose.

6. Name one of the Watergate Seven (the seven advisors and aides to Nixon who were indicted by a grand jury on March 1, 1974 for their role in the Watergate Scandal) OR one of the members of the Senate Watergate Committee.

ARTS & LITERATURE:

7. Ian Fleming spent many years writing about everyone’s favorite spy. Between 1953 and 1966, twelve novels and two short-story collections featuring James Bond were published in the UK through Jonathan Cape. Name one of the novels.

Bonus: Who played Bond in the movie version of the book/collection you chose?

8. Name the artist of one of the following paintings (you do not need to match up the painting with the artist – just give me the artist’s name):
Paintings.jpg
Paintings.jpg (111.34 KiB) Viewed 5366 times
SCIENCE AND NATURE:

9. Besides cesium, name an element spelled with exactly 6 letters.

Bonus: Give me your element’s atomic number.

10. Name a state that has a member of the deer (cervidae) family as its official state animal or land mammal.

SPORTS AND LEISURE:

11. In basketball, a ‘Triple-Double’ is recorded when a player records 10 or more in three of the following categories: points, assists, rebounds, steals, and blocked shots. Name one of the NBA’s top 10 all-time triple-double leaders.

Bonus: A ‘Quadruple-Double’ is recorded when a player records 10 or more in four of the following categories: points, assists, rebounds, steals, or blocked shots. Prior to the 1973-74 season, the NBA did not record steals and blocked shots, so there have only been four documented NBA players who have recorded quadruple-doubles. Name one of these players (Hint: they occurred in 1974, 1986, 1990, and 1994). For a second one-point deduction, name that player’s team at the time of his quadruple-double.

12. Name a team that has faced the Dallas Cowboys in the Super Bowl OR name the MVP from one of the Super Bowls in which the Cowboys participated.
Last edited by gamawire on Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Entries:
Spoiler
1. MarkBarrett
2. Ryno
3. Peggles
4. dhkendall
5. Blue Lion
6. Abraxas
7. patkav
8. ElendilPickle
9. Category 13
10. mennoknight
11. quarterrican
12. Rackme32
13. dott888
14. econgator
15. Magna
16. clprez
17. dnbguy
18. ouachiouat
19. coolcah36
20. Vermonter
21. JeopardyMom
22. canknuck
23. Peachbox
24. immaf
25. Woppy T
26. BobF
27. goforthetie
28. mahatma
29. barandall800
30. Tigershark
Last edited by gamawire on Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 13 times in total.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Already near the bottom of the page, so here's a quick bump.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Two questions. For question 2, does the city have to be designated a "city" or can it be a town or some other unincorporated settlement or Census Designated Area?

For question 10, does it have to be officially designated "state animal" or "state land animal"? For example (making this up) could it be designated "state antlered creature" or "state quadruped" or something else?
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Magna wrote:Two questions. For question 2, does the city have to be designated a "city" or can it be a town or some other unincorporated settlement or Census Designated Area?

For question 10, does it have to be officially designated "state animal" or "state land animal"? For example (making this up) could it be designated "state antlered creature" or "state quadruped" or something else?
For question 2, there are towns and settlements on the list as well as cities.

On question 10, Yes - state animal or state land animal only.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Can't be letting this drop to the second page - bumping so you get those entries in. Yes, that means YOU!
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Aiaiai i'm completely unclear as to wth we sposed to do with the clues? Is it word association or more like a Rohrshach test?
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

goatman wrote:Aiaiai i'm completely unclear as to wth we sposed to do with the clues? Is it word association or more like a Rohrshach test?
Yeah, that was me. I must've hit edit instead of PM. For some reason, I can't see the link to the picture, so it won't let me split the question around the paintings.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
goatman wrote:Aiaiai i'm completely unclear as to wth we sposed to do with the clues? Is it word association or more like a Rohrshach test?
Yeah, that was me. I must've hit edit instead of PM. For some reason, I can't see the link to the picture, so it won't let me split the question around the paintings.
I've done that a few times. One day (a few years ago) I hit edit instead of quote on an SHC and replaced the questions with my (spoilered) answers, preventing anyone else from entering. :oops:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

dhkendall wrote:
econgator wrote:
I've done that a few times. One day (a few years ago) I hit edit instead of quote on an SHC and replaced the questions with my (spoilered) answers, preventing anyone else from entering. :oops:
Well, if you're the only entry, that means you win, right?

I reposted and put the picture back in the right place.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

gamawire wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
econgator wrote:
Well, if you're the only entry, that means you win, right?

I reposted and put the picture back in the right place.
That should be "preventing anyone else from entering *after me*" (it was mid afternoon when I did that). I seem to recall there was 'no harm, no foul", though, DoT probably had the questions and just edited it back after my frantic message of "omg I think I broke SHC!" to him once I realized.

Still petrified I'd do it again, the "edit" and "quote" are so similar!

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Coming down to crunch time - plenty of singletons still up for grabs!
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

ONE HOUR LEFT TO ENTER!!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

gamawire wrote:ONE HOUR LEFT TO ENTER!!
Can I change all my answers to whatever the singletons are?

gamawire

Post by gamawire »

dhkendall wrote:
gamawire wrote:ONE HOUR LEFT TO ENTER!!
Can I change all my answers to whatever the singletons are?
I possibly could be persuaded with the right incentive. :mrgreen:
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

And we're closed with 30 entries.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

1. Name a sovereign state whose national capital begins with the letter B.

Not surprisingly, a pretty even distribution on this one and quite a few singletons. I was waiting for whatisbishkek's entry since he surely would have had a singleton as well.

Belize (Belmopan) - 5
MarkBarrett
patkav
Rackme32
Magna
immaf

Germany (Berlin) - 4
ElendilPickle
Category 13
clprez
Woppy T

Slovakia (Bratislava) - 3
dnbguy
canknuck
BobF

Saint Kitts and Nevis (Basseterre) - 2
Peggles
goforthetie

Colombia (Bogota) - 2
econgator
coolcah36

Burundi (Bujumbura) - 2
mennoknight
Tigershark

Singletons:
Belgium (Brussels) - Ryno
Brazil (Brasilia) - JeopardyMom
Brunei (Bandar Seri Begawan) - dhkendall
Central African Republic (Banjui) - mahatma
China (Beijing) - ouachiouat
Iraq (Baghdad) - Blue Lion
Mali (Bamako) - Vermonter
Serbia (Belgrade) - Abraxas
Switzerland (Bern) - quarterrican

Incorrect - 10
Belarus (capital is Minsk) - Peachbox
Benin (capital is Porto-Novo) - barandall800
Bucharest (country was asked for) - dott888

Sheep:
None

Drop:
None

Unused answers:
Many, including Hungary (Budapest), Lebanon (Beirut), Argentina (Buenos Aires), and Thailand (Bangkok).
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I wish I'd made time to enter this, but I was way too scattered while finishing writing my TD. (Also why I didn't enter the previous 2 TDs.)

My answer for question 1 would have been South Africa (Bloemfontein). It would have all been downhill from there, though, with the possible exceptions of questions 3 and 5.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

Lesson no. 1: R. T. F. Q. :shock: