LL66 (For the LLamas)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jfrumkin
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: LL66 (For the LLamas)

Post by jfrumkin »

This jew had no chance at the Catholic question. As far as I know, Kyrie whatever-it-was is an awesome point guard.
Twitter: @jfrumkin
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jfrumkin wrote:This jew had no chance at the Catholic question. As far as I know, Kyrie whatever-it-was is an awesome point guard.
Nor I. Never heard of it.

I've given up all hope for Thorsten. I had "Farfegnugen" for the Kyrie question and Alfred Packer for the chef. I was sure I was going to get BWA for one of them. Nada.
mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

I thought my ¡Ay Dios Mio! answer for Kyrie was pretty good too.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
Coelacanth
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Coelacanth »

alietr wrote:Alfred Packer for the chef. I was sure I was going to get BWA for one of them. Nada.
If it's any consolation, I think this is one of the best BWA candidates I've seen.
Brian Weikle
Season 19
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Can't believe I didn't know kyrie eleison. Not Catholic, don't sing, but I am a huge '80s music fan. I know I've looked up the phrase in connection with the Mr. Mister song, but I guess it didn't stick.
Sprinkles are for winners.
squizzle
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by squizzle »

I'd like to give myself a hearty pat on the back for my first 9(6) yesterday. I must thank the SHC for that, though, because I definitely wouldn't have known Fremont just a week ago. Everything else was instaget basically.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

mennoknight wrote:I thought my ¡Ay Dios Mio! answer for Kyrie was pretty good too.
I wonder if my "Amen to that" counts as a most common wrong answer (which is just Amen, not even a phrase).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Although I've sat through many Catholic masses with my in-laws, I've rarely heard a response of Kyrie Eleison (plenty of "may the Lord have mercy," though). Fortunately, my opera singer mother sang Vivaldi's "Kyrie" enough that I knew the term and by process of elimination was left with it after discarding "amen" (which I knew meant "yep") and (h)aleluya (which I knew meant "whoopie!").
TheyCallMeMrKid

Post by TheyCallMeMrKid »

Woof wrote:Although I've sat through many Catholic masses with my in-laws, I've rarely heard a response of Kyrie Eleison (plenty of "may the Lord have mercy," though). Fortunately, my opera singer mother sang Vivaldi's "Kyrie" enough that I knew the term and by process of elimination was left with it after discarding "amen" (which I knew meant "yep") and (h)aleluya (which I knew meant "whoopie!").
If you are old enough (Pre-Vatican II) or attend a church that still performs the mass in Latin, you would've heard it there. I don't know that I've ever personally heard it in mass either (grew up Catholic), but did know it. Surprisingly beat Boardie tjconn, thanks mostly to that answer.

See a few people talking about their first 9(6) and I can see how I might have been able to do that, had I been playing SHC this year and gotten 2 coin flips right. Oh, well, maybe someday.
Sheepin' it real.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

For manzanas y naranjas, I thought Thorsten wanted the English version of the proverb and answered "six of one, a half-dozen of the other." I'm considering asking for it to be counted as right, though I don't know that it would affect my score.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I lost 4(3)-2(2). I got apples and oranges and Fremont. I would have noticed my opponent's best category was TV and 4th best was food/drink and I might not have given them three on Flay.
Woof

Post by Woof »

ElendilPickle wrote:For manzanas y naranjas, I thought Thorsten wanted the English version of the proverb and answered "six of one, a half-dozen of the other." I'm considering asking for it to be counted as right, though I don't know that it would affect my score.
Is that the colloquial meaning of the phrase? I was thinking it was a cognate for "comparing apples and oranges"
Lampy

Post by Lampy »

Woof wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:For manzanas y naranjas, I thought Thorsten wanted the English version of the proverb and answered "six of one, a half-dozen of the other." I'm considering asking for it to be counted as right, though I don't know that it would affect my score.
Is that the colloquial meaning of the phrase? I was thinking it was a cognate for "comparing apples and oranges"
Yeah, "apples and oranges" is saying "you can't compare these" whereas "six of one, half a dozen of the other" is saying things are equivalent.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I dunno, the English proverbs "apples and oranges" and "six of one a half a dozen of the other" mean separate, almost completely different, things. I am guessing the Spanish use "manzanas y naranjas" in the same way we use "apples and oranges", so asking for consideration of a phrase that means the near opposite won't get you far.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

ElendilPickle wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:If they ever remake Airplane!, I nominate ElendilPickle for the Barbara Billingsley role.
I guess I'll have to watch Airplane! one of these days.
Surely you will. Each of us faces a clear moral choice.

Rex
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Woof wrote:Although I've sat through many Catholic masses with my in-laws, I've rarely heard a response of Kyrie Eleison (plenty of "may the Lord have mercy," though). Fortunately, my opera singer mother sang Vivaldi's "Kyrie" enough that I knew the term and by process of elimination was left with it after discarding "amen" (which I knew meant "yep") and (h)aleluya (which I knew meant "whoopie!").
When I used to accompany my mom to mass, her church had a hymn they would sing every week where the words were "Kyrie Eleison / Christe Eleison / Kyrie Eleison". That and Mr. Mister got me that one.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

TheyCallMeMrKid wrote:
If you are old enough (Pre-Vatican II) or attend a church that still performs the mass in Latin, you would've heard it there. I don't know that I've ever personally heard it in mass either (grew up Catholic), but did know it. Surprisingly beat Boardie tjconn, thanks mostly to that answer.

See a few people talking about their first 9(6) and I can see how I might have been able to do that, had I been playing SHC this year and gotten 2 coin flips right. Oh, well, maybe someday.
Despite having been an altar boy for a few years, I couldn't come up with anything and was sure that I would instantly recognize the answer once submitted, but was glad to see I never would have gotten that. I think it "Kyrie Eleison" may be something the priest chants at some point, but I've never been able to make any sense of that part of the mass. Either way, congrats on the well-earned win!
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

tjconn728 wrote: Despite having been an altar boy for a few years, I couldn't come up with anything and was sure that I would instantly recognize the answer once submitted, but was glad to see I never would have gotten that. I think it "Kyrie Eleison" may be something the priest chants at some point, but I've never been able to make any sense of that part of the mass. Either way, congrats on the well-earned win!
I recognized the phrase from having gone to many choral concerts over the years, but no way was I able to connect it to the question.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Rex Kramer wrote:Surely you will. Each of us faces a clear moral choice.
Don't call me Shirley.
gobobbygo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by gobobbygo »

schoe wrote:
gnash wrote:
schoe wrote:
gnash wrote:
seaborgium wrote: As far as I can tell, DE is calculated with a denominator of the total amount of match points possible beyond the minimum points for the given number right. For example, if your opponent scores 2(2), your DE for that match is .750. But if your opponent scores 3(3), your DE is .800 even though you gave up the same number of points beyond the minimum. And your DE for the two matches is .778 (of 9 extra points available in those two matches, you denied your opponents 7 of them).

Edit: And because 9(6)s and 0(0)s have no extra points possible, they don't affect DE; they add 0 to the numerator and the denominator.
I once looked at some alternative measures based on combinatorics, that would take into account the number of possible defenses that were better, equal, and worse. I'll have to dig that out sometime. I think the bottom line was that it wouldn't make much difference for most players.
I haven't thought through all the math, but at first blush, would a way of calculating DE that takes into account difficulty just be to keep a running total of how many points you deny your opponent, without doing the dividing? The difference between perfect defense and potential maximum is greatest at 3/6 right and least at 0/6 and 6/6, which correlates with the difficulty of defense. It would in some ways be the inverse of TMP, which similarly is not a percentage stat. (UfPA sort of tracks this, but UfPA, like DE, again weighs in favor of people who play 0(0) or 9(6) opponents who therefore have no unforced points to give; a stat that tracks how many points you block seems like a better measurement of defense to me.)
That would be a terrible measure, as it would obviously favor players in rundles where the average get rate is close to 50%. A good measure of defensive strength should depend as little as possible on the offensive strength of opponents.
Am I missing something? To me, that doesn't mean it favors people who play 0 or 6 opponents (not using pts here because they're not assigned yet), so much as it magnifies the decisions they do make. To put it another way, I don't think it changes rates, so much as it just reduces sample size (and, thus, increases variability).

But DE as it stands already depends on the offensive strength of opponents; as it's set up, DE favors players in rundles where the average get rate is close to 0% or 100%. The extreme example of course is a player who plays 24 opponents who each all get six right (or zero right) and a 25th opponent who gets five right (or one right) - that player need make only one right defensive decision the entire season to get a perfect 1.000 DE. Is there a way to do a DE where all rundles and all players have an equal chance of scoring/equal distribution of scores? If not -- if defensive stats have to favor some rundles over others -- I wouldn't mind such stats (whether DE or a new separate block stat) favoring the middle rundles where the average get rate is closer to 50% -- which means that more defensive decisions have to be made over the course of the season -- over the top and bottom.
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see how any of this gives any advantage to people who face 0(0) or 9(6) opponents. It's a rate stat. So people who face the 0-right or 6-right opponents will have smaller sample sizes, and thus higher variability, but it should neither help nor hurt their rates.