Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by ElendilPickle »

11/12; I clicked the wrong answer for light-year because I didn't think about it enough.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

11/12; 50/50/90 on the magnifying glass.

FTR, the last several posts suggest that, if anything, the 6% perfect score rate is surprisingly high.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:11/12; 50/50/90 on the magnifying glass.

FTR, the last several posts suggest that, if anything, the 6% perfect score rate is surprisingly high.
12/12. I took it before it was posted here ( http://gizmodo.com/barely-any-americans ... 1729922050 )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

11/12. Like dhk and Mark, I didn't know if water boils at a lower or higher temperature at a higher altitude.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

12/12... a question where the answer is astrology doesn't belong in a science quiz, imo.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

12/12.

Looking at the compiled data, it would be extremely foolish of me to note that (at this time) male respondents outscored female respondents by at least five percentage points on every question but the last one, which really wasn't a science question. So I won't.
OCSam
dlbookman
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by dlbookman »

So today is the anniversary of the signing of the Camp David Accords. Which means it's also the anniversary of the premiere of the original Battlestar Galactica. I remember because I was a nerdy, sulky 13-year-old very unhappy that the show got pre-empted for the historic event. Anyone else remember it that way?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Eddie Izzard on Alex Trebek's favorite poet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCQP5zuou0Q
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Fox show Minority Report had future sports news for Washington fans. The shows takes place in 2065 and a character was seen wearing a Nationals (Well, it had the distinctive "W" on the front) hat with a 2054 World Series marker on the side of the cap. Later a character is introduced as having played in Super Bowl LXXXVII for the Washington Red Clouds.

Not that I am a fan of the DC teams, but I'll be watching and listening for future episodes to give a hint for future success for the Wizards or Capitals.
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

OrangeSAM wrote:12/12.

Looking at the compiled data, it would be extremely foolish of me to note that (at this time) male respondents outscored female respondents by at least five percentage points on every question but the last one, which really wasn't a science question. So I won't.
It always annoys me that published poll results break the statistics down in only one dimension at a time. So, in this case, there is no answer to the question whether this difference persists in younger age groups, where women's educational achievement is higher than men's.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

gnash wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:12/12.

It always annoys me that published poll results break the statistics down in only one dimension at a time. So, in this case, there is no answer to the question whether this difference persists in younger age groups, where women's educational achievement is higher than men's.
No argument here.
OCSam
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Question for baseball fans. I believe Yogi Berra was the oldest living Hall of Fame member. With his passing, who does that honor now pass to? (I do not know but was wondering).
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Bamaman wrote:Question for baseball fans. I believe Yogi Berra was the oldest living Hall of Fame member. With his passing, who does that honor now pass to? (I do not know but was wondering).
Bobby Doerr continues to be the oldest living Baseball Hall of Fame member. Doerr, Monte Irvin and Red Schoendienst are all living Baseball Hall of Fame members born before Yogi.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

silverscreentest wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Question for baseball fans. I believe Yogi Berra was the oldest living Hall of Fame member. With his passing, who does that honor now pass to? (I do not know but was wondering).
Bobby Doerr continues to be the oldest living Baseball Hall of Fame member. Doerr, Monte Irvin and Red Schoendienst are all living Baseball Hall of Fame members born before Yogi.
Sadly, Yogi didn't go to any of their funerals, so they probably won't come to his.

RIP Mr. Berra. Looks like Mrs. Berra pre-deceased him by a year and a half. So she won't get to surprise him the way he'd hoped with her choice of burial place.
brick

Post by brick »

alietr wrote:I found not only the presentation of the data fascinating on this page, but the data itself:

http://poly-graph.co/timeless/index.html

Which leads me to a question for those more web-savvy than myself: If you pull up a particular year on the chart most of the way down the page and hover over one of the dots, it will tell you which song it is and what its yearly rank was. Is there any way to pull a list that would give you *all* of the songs for that year? I can find the top 100 for each year online, but these seem to go deeper.
I felt like any analysis of this data that fails to acknowledge significant secondary exposures of a song is a little thin. That said, if you go to Billboard.com there is a link at the top for the Billboard 200. It claims to go back to 1953.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Wouldn't it be great if there was some mod function so if there's more than a page of the same two people arguing back and forth making the same points they can make it seem to each person that they had the last post? Then each poster could think, "There, that's sorted. Everyone agrees with me now." and get up from their computers.
brick

Post by brick »

gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Some time ago, reddpen posted about Sploofus here and got me hooked. I need to survive two more days, but it's shaping to be my best month so far. And I see some other boardies are doing well.
http://www.sploofus.com/leaders.sp?l=5
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

gnash wrote:Some time ago, reddpen posted about Sploofus here and got me hooked. I need to survive two more days, but it's shaping to be my best month so far. And I see some other boardies are doing well.
http://www.sploofus.com/leaders.sp?l=5
ARGH. I missed this morning's question, and I was in second place with 4 days to go. It was "who wrote the book upon which the band 'My Chemical Romance' got their name". Not a chance.

EDIT: I will now publicly blame gnash for jinxing me.