Wednesday, September 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, September 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7133, 2015-09-23

CONTESTANTS
Barbara Gao, an investment analyst from Chandler, Arizona
Austin Yates, a traffic engineer from Bellevue, Nebraska
Dylan Parson, a student from Slippery Rock, Pennsylvania (whose 1-day cash winnings total $5,399)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Yeah, I know. $5,000 doesn't sound like a lot of money in view of what other champions have made on our show. But it was a rough day for Dylan on yesterday's program. He was in the hole a lot in the first round. Finally turned things around, but had trouble with the final, as did the other players. But today is a different day. We have different categories. So, Austin and Barbara, good luck. Here we go. Categories in the Jeopardy! Round with one Daily Double at play...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
2015 ANNIVERSARIES (4/4)
RANDOM FACTS (5/5)
NOTABLE WOMEN (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
EVERY OTHER LETTER A VOWEL (3/3)
I'M GOIN' TO JACKSON (5/5)
GONNA MESS AROUND (3/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Austin: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Dylan: 10 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Barbara: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 25
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Dylan: $5,600
Austin: $3,000
Barbara: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Barbara Gao is from Chandler, Arizona. And like so many other young people, uh, had money problems in college. And you had to do what in order to earn money?

Barbara: Sure, so I thought it would be fun to win some college scholarships. But rather than writing essays or putting my name into a hat, I participated in beauty pageants. And that was really fun. I'm not really a girly girl, so I got to get outside of my comfort zone and win the money for the academic prize pretty much every time.

Alex: Whatever it takes. And you're a pretty young lady. So good for you.

Alex: Austin Yates is a traffic engineer from Nebraska.

Austin: Yes, sir.

Alex: And a big fan, as I am, of World War II planes.

Austin: That's it, that's it.

Alex: Are you a bigger fan of bombers or fighter planes?

Austin: Yes, bombers, absolutely.

Alex: Which ones?

Austin: Well, I named my cat Enola Gay.

Alex: Oh, hello. [Chuckles]

Austin: And I've been fortunate enough to ride on several different bombers. I've ridden on a couple B-17s and B-25.

Alex: Yeah.

Austin: I like 'em.

Alex: Yeah, okay.

Alex: Dylan Parson is our champion. He is a student who is going to pursue a career that we keep hearing, uh, not too many young men want to get into these days. And that is?

Dylan: Yes, I am going to seminary after college and I'm going to try to pursue ordination in the United Methodist Church.

Alex: Uh-huh. Why?

Dylan: Well, I went into college studying religion. And as it's something that I read about more and more and just learned and talked and everything, um, it's something that I'd like to maybe teach. And also just kind of the socially active part I'm really interested in as well. So just kind of share that and...

Alex: Well, that's great because you're gonna be helping people.

Dylan: That's the goal.

Alex: And you bet.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dylan found the Daily Double on the 21st clue. Dylan had $6,600, Austin had $5,200, and Barbara was at $600. Dylan wagered $1,500.

NOTABLE WOMEN $800: In the 1920s she organized a birth control conference in NYC & a world population conference in Geneva
(Alex: And we now have less than a minute to go.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
GONNA MESS AROUND $800: On "Cheers" the on-again, off-again romance between Sam & this waitress was off for good in 1987

NOTABLE WOMEN $400: In a 2015 HBO biopic, Queen Latifah portrayed this legendary blues singer
(Barbara: Who is Bessie? Oh, gosh. Jones?)
(Dylan: Who is Nina Simone?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Dylan: $8,300
Austin: $5,800
Barbara: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PRESIDENTIAL HOPEFULS' RESUMÉ ITEMS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double) (Alex: We're dealing with the present, obviously.)
CLASSIC COMIC STRIPS (4/5)
ANCIENT TIMES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ENDS IN "SH" (3/5)
WORLD'S FAIRS & EXPOS (4/5)
LITERATURE OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC (3/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Barbara: 11 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Dylan: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Austin: 5 R (including 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Barbara snagged the next Daily Double on the 1st clue. Dylan had $8,300, Austin had $5,800, and Barbara was at $600. Barbara wagered $2,000.

PRESIDENTIAL HOPEFULS' RESUMÉ ITEMS $2000: Chairs the Senate Armed Services Subcommittee on Personnel
(Barbara: Who is Rand Paul?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Austin who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 7th clue. Dylan had $9,900, Austin had $6,200, and Barbara had a deficit with -$1,800. Austin wagered $2,000.

ANCIENT TIMES $1600: Around 900 A.D. this Central American society's Classic Era collapsed & temple building ceased

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CLASSIC COMIC STRIPS $2000: Though his original strip ended in 1975, this character lives on as Georgia's state 'possum
(Austin: Who is Li'l Abner?)

ANCIENT TIMES $2000: Not the "Prince of Tyre", this Athenian statesman is known for building projects on the Acropolis

ENDS IN "SH" $2000: You can clean up if you know that the long spikes on this plant give it its 11-letter name

WORLD'S FAIRS & EXPOS $1600: "Feeding the Planet, Energy for Life" is the theme of Expo 2015 held in this city

LITERATURE OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from Pitcairn Island.) In "The Long Voyage", this author mentions Pitcairn Island & Thursday October Christian, Fletcher's son

ENDS IN "SH" $1200: She was nicknamed "the First Lady of the Silent Screen"
(Dylan: Who is Garbo?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Dylan: $13,500
Austin: $10,600
Barbara: $7,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC LEGISLATION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Dylan: Wager $7,701 to cover Austin.
Austin: You ought to wager to cover Barbara, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $10,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $5,000 (to shut out Barbara) or less than $4,800 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Barbara). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Dylan.
Barbara: Think about risking $2,000, thereby beating Dylan on the Triple Stumper (should Dylan wager to cover Austin's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1820 Jefferson called this bill "the knell of the Union," saying "a geographical line... will never be obliterated"

FINAL SCORES
Barbara: $7,800 + $7,800 = $15,600 (What is the Missouri Compromise?) (3rd place)
Austin: $10,600 + $8,000 = $18,600 (What is the Missouri Compromise?) (2nd place)
Dylan: $13,500 + $5,700 = $19,200 (What is the Missouri Compromise?) (5400-day champion: $19,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Dylan: $12,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Austin: $10,200, 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Barbara: $9,800, 14 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $32,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Dylan: 17/59 = .288
Austin: 16/59 = .271
Barbara: 15/59 = .254
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
I'M GOIN' TO JACKSON $200: The City of Jackson, Michigan was where this political party was formally organized on July 6, 1854
(Dylan: What is the Free Soil Party?)

I'M GOIN' TO JACKSON $600: Jackson, Tennessee is the biggest city on the I-40 corridor between these two

RANDOM FACTS $200: (Hi, I'm Penn Jillette.) When a magician dies, a wand is sometimes broken at his funeral to symbolize his loss of magical power; the first broken wand ceremony was performed by the Society of American Magicians in 1926 at the memorial service for this famous escapologist

2015 ANNIVERSARIES $400: In 2015, the Navy Reserve marks 100 years of service by citizen sailors, including this president, who joined the Reserve in 1942

EVERY OTHER LETTER A VOWEL $600: From the French, it's a decorative front of a building, or an illusion
(Barbara: What is a mirage?)

GONNA MESS AROUND $400: Jon Snow was hit by Cupid's arrows... no, wait, those were fired by Ygritte, who Jon messed around with on this show
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

PRESIDENTIAL HOPEFULS' RESUMÉ ITEMS $1600: Current governor of Ohio
(Barbara: Who is Mitch Kasitch?
(Alex: No.)
(Barbara: Kas--)

WORLD'S FAIRS & EXPOS $2000: The first Ferris wheel made the rounds at the World's Columbian Exposition in this city in 1893

WORLD'S FAIRS & EXPOS $1200: At the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair, you could enjoy an ice cream cone while waiting to meet this legendary warrior

LITERATURE OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC $1600: This author of "Tales of the South Pacific" called Bora Bora the Bali Ha'i of the spirit

LITERATURE OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC $2000: (Sarah of the Clue Crew walks the beach in Tahiti.) In "The Signature of All Things" by this "Eat, Pray, Love" author, Alma Whittaker sails to Tahiti to discover the mysterious fate of her husband

ENDS IN "SH" $400: A close living relative is your this "& blood"
(Alex: Correct, with less than a minute, now.)

LITERATURE OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC $800: He wrote of snowy climes in books like "White Fang", then traveled to balmy Tahiti & later penned "South Sea Tales"

WORLD'S FAIRS & EXPOS $400: To raise funds for its base, part of this landmark was displayed at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia in 1876
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Margaret Sanger
Diane (Chambers)
Bessie Smith
Lindsey Graham
the Mayans
Pogo
Pericles
the bottlebrush
Milan
Charles Dickens
Lillian Gish
the Missouri Compromise
the Republican Party
Memphis & Nashville
(Harry) Houdini
George H.W. Bush
facade
Game of Thrones
John Kasich
Chicago
Geronimo
(James) Michener
(Elizabeth) Gilbert
flesh
(Jack) London
the Statue of Liberty
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Fitting that a game with Hagar the Horrible as a clue would end like that.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

So the champ doesn't bet enough to cover 2nd, but that's OK, because once again, when all-in from 2nd is a valid wager and not the usual suicide, they decide to get cute. Mid-season form.

Instaget FJ. After yesterday's inexplicable TS, I was worried, but they came through.

I know I probably say this at the start of every season, but the clues being left behind every round are starting to get on my nerves.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Dylan played another good game; congrats to him. I had 44 correct responses including four triple stumpers: Bessie Smith, Pogo, Charles Dickens, and Lillian Gish. Instaget FJ.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Historic Legislation

In 1820 Jefferson called this bill "the knell of the Union", saying "a geographical line… will never be oblierated"
Spoiler
What is the Missouri Compromise?
Barbara Gao: $7,800+$7,800=$15,600
Austin Yates: $10,6000+$8,000=$18,600
Dylan Parson: $13,500+5,700=$19,200; now a 2-day champion with $24,599
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Too bad Barbara put herself in a $3600 hole at the start of DJ by botching the bottom two presidential candidate clues: she was on a roll by the end of the round. I was hoping she would be able to come from behind in Final, but as soon as the clue was revealed, I knew our champion would have no problem with it.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

39 right.

Anniversary (3), Random (3), Women (2), Vowel (3), Jackson (5), Around (4)
Pres (2), Classic (4), Ancient (4), "Sh" (3), Expos (4), South (2)

Lach Trash: "Diane Chambers", "Bessie Smith" (no clue until I was given the Bessie), "Pericles", "Charles Dickens", "Lillian Gish"

Instaget FJ.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats to Dylan, but that was not a good wager, at all. I'm sorry but so far, I am not a fan of his. But good luck the rest of the week, I guess.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

These episodes have been much harder than normal. I had 32 right, including Final, for $23,400 ($26,000 without negs). This was only the second time I had four negs in a regular episode; usually I just have one.
How was this Final a triple get when "2008" was a triple stumper?!
Hoping for a third lap
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote:So the champ doesn't bet enough to cover 2nd, but that's OK, because once again, when all-in from 2nd is a valid wager and not the usual suicide, they decide to get cute.
I wouldn't call Austin's wager getting cute. His wager made no sense. If he had bet $5001 to cover Barbara doubling up, or $2799 to stay above Barbara and Dylan on a TS, that would have been getting cute.
What's really strange is that Dylan demonsrtated proper FJ wagering from the lead yesterday. So you have to wonder what he was thinking tonight. Couldn't have been a 2000 math error because he didn't tack on the extra $1.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $27,800
36 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: Diane Chambers, Pogo

Lindsey Graham's still running for President, huh? To borrow a running joke from the current TD, Pointless!

From yesterday's thread:
willwoodlen wrote:Don't know if others have this experience, but with this FJ I got a triple-stumper shortly after failing on one all the contestants got (the game shown last Friday, 9/18). This happens a lot, though sometimes in the reverse order. When I get one every contestant misses, I can almost always count on missing an FJ triple-get very soon.
Apparently, others do have this experience. Vacillated between the Missouri Compromise and the Kansas-Nebraska Act before settling on the incorrect one based on the fact that it was the actual name of a piece of legislation. Shoulda known better, as 1820 was too early, but alas...
Sprinkles are for winners.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

sarisson wrote: How was this Final a triple get when "2008" was a triple stumper?!
Two different players. Also as was discussed it's lots more difficult to go thorough a list under lights.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Penn Jillette has been fooling people for years. He got me tonight when there was a promo to go to jeopardy.com to see the only trick he has never been able to figure out: https://www.jeopardy.com/news/stage10/w ... n-jillette

I was one of the saps that went there for the answer. :oops:

In 2005 I got a Dorothy Gish clue on the show, so it was fitting in 2015 to get the one asking for Lillian Gish. I've been enjoying the reruns of What's My Line? on Buzzr to add to my vault of old names recently learning Hildegarde, Laraine Day, and Pretty Perky Peggy King.

To solve tonight's FJ! clue I only had to go back to 1980 and 11th grade history class. Thank you Mr. Lewbin. My precalls were more recent with Sherman Antitrust, Sarbanes-Oxley, Volstead and Smoot-Hawley.

From the Tuesday thread:
John Boy wrote: Congrats to Dylan, and enjoy your stay as champion. I don't foresee it lasting beyond tonight.
Okay, I won't ask you for Powerball numbers. :)

Dylan has won $24,599. Does he even have enough for one year of his seminary training?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Lach Trash: Pogo.

"Manage" was easy to overthink in Every Other Letter a Vowel. I got snagged on "baseball" and tried to turn "umpire" into something bosslike.

All but Georgia in Jackson, but I have NHO any of the four women in Notable Women. Bessie Smith?! Really?

Also 0/5 in name recognition on Presidential. Why should I know the former mayor of Burlington?

I would've been unhappy if they had left a Comic Strips behind. That was one of the easiest runs for me in ages.

No guess on FJ! I've heard of the Missouri Compromise, but it just wouldn't surface in 30 seconds. Went with the obvious joke answer of THE HAWLEY-SMOOT TARIFF. :lol:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

And you guys were whining about yesterday being painful! Gotta learn to pace yourselves. Wow. How many triple stumpers were there? I was wearing socks so I lost track.

Kudos to Barbara for battling back after a rough start, a vicious DD, and an unfortunate TMI loss with "Mitch" Kasich. (Are we really supposed to know that Lindsey Graham chairs the Senate Armed Services Subcommittee on Personnel?) She didn't pull out a win, but she was still in contention at FJ time.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Austin's interview rang quite a bit of irony for me.
This afternoon I went to a regional airport to see the Collings Foundation fly in with a B-25, B-24, B-17 and a TP-51C equipped with dual full controls.
They were offering rides in the three bombers for $400-$450 a pop. More than Likely, the B-24 is the same one that Austin has flown in.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:Dylan has won $24,599. Does he even have enough for one year of his seminary training?
I don't know Methodist seminaries specifically, but yeah probably. Seminaries are often subsidized by denominations, churches, and individual backers who feel the cause is worthy. He might even get two years out of that money. And depending on the degree, that might be all he needs. But he was talking about going into teaching, so I'm guessing he'll keep on. In the old days he could take an M.A. followed by an M.Div. followed by a Th.M. followed by a Th.D/Ph.D. on his way to that goal. I think the process tends to be more streamlined now with fewer stops along the way, if only to keep the credentials from spilling over on to the next line.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Also 0/5 in name recognition on Presidential. Why should I know the former mayor of Burlington?
Well, if you've never heard of Rand Paul or Ben Carson, I wouldn't expect you to know which candidate is from Vermont.
Sprinkles are for winners.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Also 0/5 in name recognition on Presidential. Why should I know the former mayor of Burlington?
Face palm.

I guess TPH isn't feeling the Bern.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.